closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why do Steinhart hold their value so well?

Craftsman

Why do Steinhart hold their value so well?

After looking into divers i came across Steinhart. Nothing but good reviews from members, other forums and YouTube.

Bit confused as to why they hold their value so well on the second hand market? Seen a few on eny which are in fact listed (and have sold) for over retail! Seems a bit bizarre considering the Ocean one isn't mega money.

Would be interested in thoughts as to why a poking to pick one up on Thursday.

Cheers

I think it's because their great value on the first place.
    I think the selling over retail is partly due to non WIS's reluctance to order from Germany or rarity value dependant on model, i.e. Mk 1 OVM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    I think it's because their great value on the first place.
    I think the selling over retail is partly due to non WIS's reluctance to order from Germany or rarity value dependant on model, i.e. Mk 1 OVM

I totally agree with this. I doubt that they will ever be sold for hugely over the RRP but if you accept that a lot of their offerings are homages then there is nothing to dislike about them if you want a quality watch at a good price.

Master
    Yep great watches and value for money, I have a couple and they look great as well as keep excellent time and that's after 5 years of ownership. Ocean 44 auto is very cool with sapphire bezel. They're one of the great stepping stones to WISdom, as are some of our hosts watches. Have you checked them out yet?

I have owned seven different models and if you buy second hand there is very little money to lose, a bit of postage at most. There are of course traps, like pay £850 new for their Paul Newman Chronograph and you will struggle to get your money back, but buy the military or the red etc and you will have no trouble getting back what you paid.

I have seen people on e-bay pay more than Neil at Chronomaster is asking new.

Master
    I think you answered your own question...

"After looking into divers i came across Steinhart. Nothing but good reviews from members, other forums and YouTube."

Can't say that I've seen any Stein go for huge money especially beyond the initial price but as others have said they're good value for money, just like Seiko Divers.

Master
    Well made, affordable, low depreciation, always popular.

Craftsman
    Cheers everyone. Could it also be down to supply and demand? Not sure how fast they produce could but be another factor.

As I say just seemed odd. Will look into it again to see the model of which one is going over RRP. Could possibly be a a discontinued model

Master
    One for sale in SC now - £280

You buy a watch at £400. It's ETA it's automatic it has sapphire its finish is pretty damn good . In short if you're on a tight budget their value prop is obvious. Since they are already dirt cheap they don't tend to fall in value. I bought the OVM direct from Steinhart and a year later soldit on Ebay for £20 more than the price of a new one. Can't quite get my head round that but they are the only budget brand I know where resale for almost no loss is pretty much a given. They are, in short, a successfully marketed brand and it seems a very well run outfit.

Craftsman
    Unfortunately not enough posts to see SC.

But for a little extra I would buy new

Craftsman
    As you say nothing but good reviews - think that pretty much covers it.

I have 2 and they are both good solid watches, VFM I say.

I've had 5 of them and still maintain an Ocean One Black and they are well put together.
    I just wish they'd taper the bracelet from 22 to 18mm.
    Last edited by reggie747; 11th June 2017 at 22:56.

There was a rumor about a new bracelet from 22 to 18 and would also buy one immediately for my Black Sea.

Master
    I think the new Paul Newman chrono has a 22-18 bracelet. It will be interesting to see if they start selling it seperately.

I've owned a couple and for me there are 3 main niggles with dive range.

1. No 40mm option.

2. No tapered bracelet.

3. Poor magnification on the cyclops.

I accept that others may not think these are an issue, but they are a deal breaker for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post

1. No 40mm option.

2. No tapered bracelet.

I accept that others may not think these are an issue, but they are a deal breaker for me.
    I agree with your points but does any other brand offer these and the same build quality at the £350 range? Squale have nice 40mm divers but I think their build quality is inferior and they are £200+ dearer.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post

1. No 40mm option.

2. No tapered bracelet.

Word is they are doing 40mm versions with tapered bracelets from September.

My belief is that some depreciate at a more-or-less normal rate and others seen more rarely hold their value particularly well.

They are excellent watches offering a lot of 'bang for your buck'. I own a Marine Chronometer II Arabic dial that I bought from a member (DeepThought if I recall correctly) on SC at around £150.00 off the list price, and an Ocean 44 for which I paid list price from the Steinhart website. I consider both to be excellent value for money, well made and as a bonus both keep time at around COSC levels (although in fairness one was regulated for me during a repair).

Highly recommended...

Simon

Master
    Wonder how the vintage one does (The old sub 3/6/9 looking one)?

I must eBay mine. It's a lovely watch but the lug length stops me wearing it, wish they'd made it a touch shorter in that respect.

Master
    They do hold value well but I think a lot of people are mislead by some listings on eBay. For example, a MK1 OVM will cost more than a new OVM but I think a lot of people confuse it with the gnomon limited OVM which looked more like the MK1.

The uninitiated see one of those at £500 - £600 and suddenly think there's money to be made. Buy one, enjoy it and expect to see minimal depreciation.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    I think the new Paul Newman chrono has a 22-18 bracelet. It will be interesting to see if they start selling it seperately.
    According to a poster on Watchuseek, the Ocean Titanium Premium has just changed over to a tapered 22-18 bracelet. I'm curious if they've sorted the colour as well.... It's the one thing that puts me off the watch.

^^^ From the Ocean Titanium page on Steinhart's website.

BRACELET & CLASP

Bracelet Titanium 22mm x 18 mm screwed
    Clasp Titanium 18mm with safety lock and logo

I sourced a tapered 22-18mm bracelet from EBay to go with my Vintage Ocean One GMT Ltd Edition.

A bit rattly and has hollow links and folded end links, but compared to the OEM it is a lot lighter. It also saves the OEM from getting wrecked.

As for Steinhart itself? Great quality and a favourite of mine along with Seiko.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by messym; 13th June 2017 at 07:58.

Craftsman
    I just received an Ocean 1 this week and it is excellent. I bought it as a holiday watch and will bung it on a NATO for diving. However, and annoyingly, I also have my eye on a Sinn 103 ST SA so may flip the Steinhart to help fund it. Hopefully I won't lose much if I do!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by khumzi View Post
    I just received an Ocean 1 this week and it is excellent. I bought it as a holiday watch and will bung it on a NATO for diving. However, and annoyingly, I also have my eye on a Sinn 103 ST SA so may flip the Steinhart to help fund it. Hopefully I won't lose much if I do!
    My thoughts exactly with the Steinhart unless I decide I dont want to part with it. For the time being it will do the job.

Thanks everyone else for your responses on this too

Craftsman
    Nabbed an ocean one in green from eBay 220! Up for 295, asked the lowest he would take, 220 done deal. Think guys might just be trying it with the prices and see what happens

Edit - seller withdrew
    Last edited by jamestmusic; 15th June 2017 at 22:59.

Quote Originally Posted by jamestmusic View Post
    Nabbed an ocean one in green from eBay 220! Up for 295, asked the lowest he would take, 220 done deal. Think guys might just be trying it with the prices and see what happens

Edit - seller withdrew
    There are some chancers on eBay. There is a green Ocean 1 on there at the moment for £375 that has seen much better days! For that price you'd might as well buy new

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Neil at Chronomaster is an excellent source in the UK.

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/steinhart/watches/
    I agree, Neil is good. I bought a watch about 6 months ago, price was good and delivery was very quick.

I also had a problem with the strap a few weeks back which he dealt with swiftly for me.

So a definite recommendation.