closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Too Hot

It's Too Hot

Outskirts of London, and at 9 pm it's 26 degC in the garden according to my outside thermometer, and 28 degC in the hall of the house according to the thermostat.

We sleep in the loft and that'll be off the scale.

It's not going to be a comfortable night for sleeping.

I'm grumpy, wife's hot and bothered and the kids can barely move for listlessness.

I hear it's even hotter tomorrow.

I went into the conservatory earlier and it was unbelievable, all the candles had melted, I put the hall portable thermostat in there to see what temp it was, I don't know what it's max reading scale is but it flashed up a error message with a picture of a spanner . The kids are really suffering bless them.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Mrs has just put her jumper on. Getting chilly up here

C'mon, too hot, too cold, is it ever right?

I'm so glad my house is air conditioned

Sitting in the garden offers little relief from the heat inside the house as the b@stard mozzies are out in full force.

My train back from London was so hot that two people fainted and several other were close. They were carrying bodies off at stations! The SW trains guard said our train had been sat at the depot all day in the sun and they could have run the air conditioning all day to keep it cool but it would have meant either pumping out diesel and breaching pollution rules or spending money running an electric generator, which SW trains would never do due to the cost and impracticality. Upshot was a ram packed train at over 40 degrees C and people dropping like flies. Nice.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I'm so glad my house is air conditioned
    Our bedroom has air con. It's heaven. Just wished we had it throughout the house.

Im out on the decking now and according to the garden thermometer its 25 degrees. Just looked at the house and its sitting at 28.5.
    Bedrooms like a furnace.
    There is however the start of a breeze which is very refreshing.
    Planning on sticking it out until around 11 and go face the bedroom
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 19th June 2017 at 22:00.

Its beyond a joke and I have had quite enough of it.

I intend to lodge a formal complaint - does anyone know whom I should send this to?

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    My train back from London was so hot that two people fainted and several other were close. They were carrying bodies off at stations! The SW trains guard said our train had been sat at the depot all day in the sun and they could have run the air conditioning all day to keep it cool but it would have meant either pumping out diesel and breaching pollution rules or spending money running an electric generator, which SW trains would never do due to the cost and impracticality. Upshot was a ram packed train at over 40 degrees C and people dropping like flies. Nice.
    At least you have SWT trains with AC.

My line in/out of Waterloo has those class 455 sweat-boxes with personal climate control, i.e a small pull down window near each seat.

By the time you leave Surbiton on the way in the train is rammed, and you've still got 7 more stops before Waterloo.

Combined rail travel and sauna. It is true that they wouldn't be allowed to transport animals to the slaughterhouse in these conditions

Blog Entries
    I live unsurprisingly in Scotland so it is temperate

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    30C today and tomorrow another day like this. My youngest sleeps in the loft and has a mobile airco in his bedroom. When he plugged it in, around 5PM, the temp in the room was 32... Now a reasonable 24C. Best spot in the house is the cellar. By far the coolest place! No thermometer there, but since it's a good place to store the wine (according to my wife, I don't like wine), the temp must be 10-12C or so.

Menno

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Glad I am off to Mauritius and then Dubai. This weather has been good training.😉

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sweated my knackers off today at work but now sat outside enjoying a nice cold beer in my shorts.
    Stop moaning you miserable lot!

I've had enough of this and it presents problems for my dog too, he struggles in this weather. I did not sign up to a Southern European climate and the sooner we leave the better, I have been brought up with 17 degrees tops, windy and a bit of rain here and there. If I wanted wall to wall sunshine I would move to California.

It is not acceptable and it has to stop. It also makes wrists sweaty under those leather straps that later appear on SC coated in climate conditioned DNA. So there, it is bad for the WIS community.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 19th June 2017 at 22:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    enjoying a nice cold beer in my shorts
    Impressive, I tend to drink out of the bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Sweated my knackers off today at work but now sat outside enjoying a nice cold beer in my shorts.
    Stop moaning you miserable lot!
    Indeed mate!

Cheers everybody!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I'm lucky enough to have air con in my home office. Every time I went outside or came back to the house it was very hot.

In case anybody thought that I was jesting about temperatures 'North of the Wall', here is a post from a friends Facebook

Grand Master
    Ahh bless until you’ve walked through Afghanistan or Iraq in Body Armour and full belt kit in 40C+ with the locals wanting a extreme water pistol fight please don’t tell me its too hot right now.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    In case anybody thought that I was jesting about temperatures 'North of the Wall', here is a post from a friends Facebook
    Every time I watch the Countryfile weather for the week, I do say to the wife that I want to move to Shetland.

I just opened the loft hatch and the cool air is being sucked in and up through the vented loft space which will bring the temp down a bit (currently 28.3)
    Im a bit of a geek when it comes to the heat as I can't bear it so have worked out how to keep the flat comfortable, it's not actually that hot as the sun is only direct in the morning.
    I refuse to stay at the girlfriends in this weather as it's top floor of a Georgian conversion and is like an oven.
    If it gets really bad then I find sleeping with your feet on the radiator will suck the heat and out or wetting a t-shirt, wringing it out and laying it on your chest does help. Not had to do that since living in a top floor flat with no loft insulation and a slate roof.

Loving it, may long it last
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Not only is it hot but there is also pretty much no wind meaning the sea here is like a swimming pool. Perfect for an evening dip

Having exited the horrors of south west London and all its associated travel nonsense a couple of years ago, I enjoyed a day on the beach today and an evening with a cool beer in the garden. I've come to realise the discomfort of travelling into London every day wearing a suit and tie simply wasn't worth it - it might be good for the bank balance but absolutely nothing else imho! My son spent the evening out with his mates on the beach too, wish my parents had made the decision to get out to the sticks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I love hot weather, can't stand the cold though but this year i have to say i'd like it to go cooler, as my little girl (16 months) just can't sleep and is running pretty hot all day. Roll on more manageable 21-22 degree temperatures, i'll just have to stick the jumper back on.

Grand Master
    I don't enjoy weather as hot as this either. Just been out since mid-afternoon so the windows had to be closed; house is now like a bloody oven. Took the dog out just after lunch and it was way too hot for him!

Went out for a meal with sister and her hubby but the pub was too hot for any of us to really enjoy the evening. Highlight of the evening was the drive home with the air-con blasting cool air in our faces.

I can stand the heat/sun well despite being fair-skinned , but this is a bit too much!

No watch work getting done at the moment, my work room is south-facing and it' s like a greenhouse. Can't open a window because the wind blows stuff around, only way to work is in short bursts and it's no fun.

And another thing........hay fever's another problem at the moment! Whoever developed anti-histemine eyedrops deserves a medal, they make a huge difference and (for me) make the condition tolerable.

All part of the Great British summer experience, we'll all be moaning for different reasons when the rain and wind returns.

Paul

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 12th September 2017 at 00:13.

Master
    Sweating again minutes after getting out of the shower. Sweaty plums. What feels like a never ending bout of the snotters due to hay fever. Itchy and dry eyes also due to the hay fever. Fretful sleep due to the heat. Open a window and you've got wasps to contend with. Even my poor dog doesn't know what to do with himself. All the chavs are out and about flaunting as much mottled flesh as possible.
    What's to love about a hot Summer? No, give me Autumn every time!
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 19th June 2017 at 23:33.

It goes without saying yet, please do not forget to drink plenty of water to hydrate yourselves, even if you are not thirsty, and look after your loved ones, esp young and elderly, they may not realise that they are suffering from the dyhadration. And do not forget to leave plenty of water for your pooch and/or moggy ;)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

London had the same high and same humidity as me today !

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Mrs has just put her jumper on. Getting chilly up here
    Ach yon whingin' sootherners urr a' ra sem 😜😜😜

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    It goes without saying yet, please do not forget to drink plenty of water to hydrate yourselves, even if you are not thirsty, and look after your loved ones, esp young and elderly, they may not realise that they are suffering from the dyhadration. And do not forget to leave plenty of water for your pooch and/or moggy ;)
    Strange this modern fad of carrying bottles and constantly drinking water. As children the things just didn't exist - just a manky water fountain at school which no-one hardly used.

Muslims are managing to go without all day during Ramadan (children/the ill excepted) and AFAIK aren't coming to harm.

Master
    Love the hot weather although as I live on the West coast of Scotland it is not a common thing. Trouble I have is I suffer from vitiligo and have it on my hands, head, legs, arms etc so I have to wear total sunblock or else I get very seriously burnt eg hospital burnt.
    Fun, fun fun.

Never mind folks, give it a few days and I don't doubt you'll start complaining about how rubbish this summer is.
    Last edited by number2; 20th June 2017 at 05:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Strange this modern fad of carrying bottles and constantly drinking water. As children the things just didn't exist - just a manky water fountain at school which no-one hardly used.

Muslims are managing to go without all day during Ramadan (children/the ill excepted) and AFAIK aren't coming to harm.
    We didn't wear helmets riding our bikes either and used to smoke in the office and in restaurants just a few years back which doesn't make it right does it.

Drinking water helps to prevent dehydration which can creep up rather unnoticed and contribute to heat stroke due to lack/reduced perspiration, it can affect anyone but children and elderly are more susceptible, and you do not want an elderly person to pass out and fall which in itself can bear rather serious consequences.

There is a school of thought out there that intermittent fasting, as of not eating food rather than not drinking liquids is actually good for you. I can't see a positive health benefits though of denying oneself food and water for 18-19 hours out of 24 and then eating your iftar, usually a plenty of calories in one go. The health issues aside, if one would have to engage in any physical or academic work, personally I'm not sure he/she will be at the best of their abilities to perform the task, opinions vary obviously. If you want a more definitive answer, why not try to fast and see for yourself?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    It's not to hot, it is wonderful. Long may it continue.

Master
    The fat block in the bird feeder has melted into a glob. Am off to N. Scotland next week so expect a rapid drop in temp. plus rain to boot.

Blog Entries
    7:30 here. 20+ already. It is going to be another nice day! No airco where I am today. Only a big fan. With a frozen bottle in front of it (courtesy of this forum!)

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Never mind folks, give it a few days and I don't doubt you'll start complaining about how rubbish this summer is.
    Always look on the bright side.

I imagine the tube is truly awful though.

Bit muggy, isn't it?

I'm not a fan of heat/humidity - more specifically the humidity, which is the problem with Britain apparently. We nearly always have high humidity levels, but when the temperature is low, you don't feel it. As soon as it gets to high-20/30's, it becomes very uncomfortable. London can be unbearable, it's less brutal in the north.

I can't stand the "ideal" Mediterranean climate - way too close for me, and tropical climates are horrible. Give me a low-humidity climate any day of the week, when you can have temperatures well into the 30's, and it feels fine. (Parts of the SW US are a great example - particularly mid/northern California, or at higher elevations).

Craftsman
    Well i was giving it the big i am with us having air con up stairs in the bedroom and i had possibly the worst nights sleep in months , partly due to her indoors snoring and farting in her sleep. At least its fairly cool here in the office but i feel like shyte

Master
    You resident Brits are now't but a bunch of whingers.

It's 32 degrees here in Spain and rising. It is also very enjoyable, so stop moaning you moaning lot.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You resident Brits are now't but a bunch of whingers.

It's 32 degrees here in Spain and rising. It is also very enjoyable, so stop moaning you moaning lot.
    Meanwhile, in neighbouring Portugal large swathes of countryside go up in flames. I don't suppose those affected are revelling in the record temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Meanwhile, in neighbouring Portugal large swathes of countryside go up in flames. I don't suppose those affected are revelling in the record temperatures.
    Rather unnecessary that.

I'm a ginger. I was bit to shreds at the weekend. However, I love it being like it is. Living out in the countryside, this weather makes me so happy I made the move.

Someone posted photos of their poor dogs paw pads earlier, she walked the dog for a mile on tarmac, and the poor dogs paws blistered, and peeled.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

I often wonder about that. Nobody in years past carried glass bottles around full of water. It's only since they brought the plastic ones out this became popular. Just a marketing gimmick. Our landfills pay the price.