closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cleaning your Watches

Craftsman

Cleaning your Watches

Not being one for allowing muck to accumulate, I like to give my watches a bit of a wipe down after use to keep them as tidy as possible.

The Divers have always been subject to a quick bath and scrub with some light soap and a brush, but now I have some more delicate pieces I wonder what is best for the routine cleaning of them?

Wiping over with a dry microfibre is well and good, but it doesn't really clean them up; So is there anything more I can do to maintain their cleanliness?

I expect a topic that has been covered (haven't they all?) did try a search but the yield of results was inconclusive.

Example watch would be my IWC Portugieser 5007 which has an Alligator strap.

Master
    I would still use a soft toothbrush and some mind soap, but be less vigarous when cleaning.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    I would still use a soft toothbrush and some mind soap, but be less vigarous when cleaning.
    This generally does the trick for me, soft toothbrush and or sponge while in the bath or shower
    followed by quick buff up with micro fibre cloth...job done

That said mine are all divers and certainly not 'delicate'
    I guess it depends on how 'dirty' your delicate watches actually get
    can't see why you couldn't continue as you already do, maybe try a damp cotton bud rather than brush though?

Baby wipes.
    I occasionally give a watch a once-over during an extended session whilst thrutching on the throne. It passes the time, so to speak..

Craftsman
    Haha maybe those moist Andrex bum wipes will be kind enough for the task.

Was thinking more along the lines of if there are products. Alcohol or whatever.

Master
    Rolex simply recommend a quick wash with clean warm washing up water. Simple as that.

Craftsman
    Do you want to just clean or do you want to buff/polish?

Ive heard people mention a type of polishing cloth called Cape Cod but ive never used them.

Craftsman
    Just to clean daily grime off is all.

I have Cape Cod cloths to polish if required. Messy things they are, but quite effective.

Cleaning the bracelet is the most important step is preventing wear.

I use an unbranded baby shampoo, washing up liquid does contain some harsh chemicals and salt.
    A small decorators paint brush - 1/2" wide.

Gently clean between the links, side-side not pushing dirt further in to the links.
    Clean thoroughly between the lugs including the spring-bar holes.

When I buy a watch from SC, I always remove the bracelet and give it 30 mins in the ultrasonic bath across four positions.
    Then you know that you are starting from a good base, and I repeat annually if the watch is regularly worn.

CapCod cloths will only deal with the finest of swirlies, and you will then have to wash the case to get rid of the milky residue.
    Last edited by W124; 20th June 2017 at 09:42.

Master
    I just wrap them up inside a pair of socks and chuck them in with the rest of the laundry. They come out lovely and shiny, smell great too.

Craftsman
    Water, soap and a soft tooth brush ...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Amazed there isn't a product. Perhaps a gap in the market.

Master
    Sorry thought i had logged on to TZ NOT Mumsnet...

Craftsman
    So looking after our watches is not to be discussed?

Master
    soft toothbrush, warm water (not hot) and fairy liquid - dry off by dabbing with a Kleenex (no jokes please)

Use that for all our watches, glasses, jewellery, rings etc.

B

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Zeiss lens wipes for non water resistant ones

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Baby wipes.
    I occasionally give a watch a once-over during an extended session whilst thrutching on the throne. It passes the time, so to speak..
    How many hands have you got?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Zeiss lens wipes for non water resistant ones
    This is the kind of thing I was thinking about. Great thank you I'll look them up.

Grand Master
    Have to disagree with previous comment re washing up liquid; provided the bracelet is rinsed thoroughly, thus leaving no residual detergent, wasghing up liquid is absolutely fine. It's a strong detergent that works on most forms of dirt and grease likely to be found on a watch bracelet. I use a strong solution of Fairy Liquid in hot (60°C) water, placed in a glass jar then put into the sonic bath. Rinse the bracelet then immerse in plain hot water, put it back in the sonic bath and repeat the process till the water comes out clean.

I`ve cleaned some fairly gunged-up old bracelets using this procedure, trust me it works.

Paul

This.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dommorton View Post
    This is the kind of thing I was thinking about. Great thank you I'll look them up.
    You can get a big box of them from Amazon for buttons. They're non smear alcohol based ones so the residue evaporates pretty instantly along with accrued gunk from wearing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    This.

Is this cleaner for Ultrasonic Baths? You just use this from the bottle?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    You can get a big box of them from Amazon for buttons. They're non smear alcohol based ones so the residue evaporates pretty instantly along with accrued gunk from wearing.
    Great thank you for the tip.

I see they also do the fluid in a bottle so that could be a good option also.

Amazed there isn't a product. Perhaps a gap in the market.
    https://www.wristclean.com/products/watch-spray

In no way an endorsement. Snake oil if you ask me.

Craftsman
    Darn as always someone had beaten me to a great idea. I'll not be on Dragons Den this season

Bit weird this one but I used a sink of warm water with a spoon of Vanish oxi action to soak some fabrics and couldnt believe how clean/shiny the sink looked afterwards

I had an old steel bracelet that I picked up on SC (but have never used) in a drawer, I decided to soak it in a weak solution of warm water/Oxi action and after ten minutes it came out absolutely sparkling, I also found the water was black, rinsed it off and bracelet was like new

Not sure i would use it on an expensive bracelet, I have since used it a few times on my strapcode oyster that I wear to work and gets grubby some days, always comes out very well

I will let you know when the bracelet falls apart

Craftsman
    Baby soap soft brush and microfibre cloth

Many years ago I used clean my Tudor sub with T-cut and polish the plexi with toothpaste. Then a good splash with wash-up liquid and water, dry with hair dryer and it looked good as new.

Blog Entries

Example watch would be my IWC Portugieser 5007 which has an Alligator strap.
    If it's with a leather strap do remove the strap from the watch head before lightly cleaning as mentioned before. Silly question but have you check the manufacturers website / book that came with the watch about care and maintenance - sometimes there is useful guidelines?

If the watch is water resistant then I would use a soap solution to clean and wipe down with a eye glasses cloth to finish.

Martyn

Craftsman
    Thank you

Yes for a deep clean I would do that for sure.

I just meant after a hot day to give it a quick wipe down get finger prints etc off. Though it is meant to be water proof to a degree, I don't fancy getting it too wet as I would with say my Omega SMP.

IWC had nothing in the handbook I could see.

I've also got a Heuer Carrera I'd not give a bath but also needs routine cleaning.

Lots of good input here thanks all.

Like others for a steel bracelet warn to hot water with fairy liquid and a toothbrush and a good rinse under the tap afterwards. For leather straps a good wipe with one of the many baby wipe type products mentioned.

Master
    Another helpful thread, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    [...]When I buy a watch from SC, I always remove the bracelet and give it 30 mins in the ultrasonic bath across four positions.
    Then you know that you are starting from a good base, and I repeat annually if the watch is regularly worn.[...]
    A good ultrasonic cleaning once a year or so is an excellent practice to reduce bracelet wear from accumulated internal grit.

And as you're aware, it's for the bracelet only! :)

Master
    Universal cleaner recipe.

Cheap vodka (real rotgut tramp juice is preferred)
    drop of dishwashing liquid

Use for anything , glass , screens , glasses , watches.

Most off the shelf cleaning fluids are exacty the same thing but with an isopropyl alcohol solution ( duty exempt vodka with some meths in it basically).

Craftsman
    bringing this thread alive again cuz I recently saw this article about cleaning that you may find helpful.

https://www.minus4plus6.com/maintenance.php

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisallen View Post
    bringing this thread alive again cuz I recently saw this article about cleaning that you may find helpful.

https://www.minus4plus6.com/maintenance.php
    That's interesting. Though I think when I got my speedy the guy at Omega said just to go see them when I want the strap changing as they replace the spring bars each time so they're less likely to break. This seems to suggest Rolex's are a bit more resilient than that!

Craftsman
    This is great thank you and thanks also for resurrecting my thread!

Craftsman
    In looking for a bottle of 'WristClean' I also found this: https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/col...acelet-cleaner

Master
    Rolex (my only bracelet watch) - wear it in the shower, rinse it close to the shower head.
    All the rest, on leather - a Selvyt cloth.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    An ultrasonic cleaner can be useful if you are absolutely certain that your watch is water tight. Otherwise any of the solutions above can be worth trying.

If I want to give my watch a thorough clean, I use one of the spray kitchen cleaners, and then use an old ultrasonic toothbrush. You should see the muck falling out of the bracelet.

A proper ultrasonic bath needn't be expensive. Mine,with a three zone timer and heater came from amazon with a three year warranty for under £50. Bargain!.

Quote Originally Posted by doug darter View Post
    An ultrasonic cleaner can be useful if you are absolutely certain that your watch is water tight. Otherwise any of the solutions above can be worth trying.

If I want to give my watch a thorough clean, I use one of the spray kitchen cleaners, and then use an old ultrasonic toothbrush. You should see the muck falling out of the bracelet.

A proper ultrasonic bath needn't be expensive. Mine,with a three zone timer and heater came from amazon with a three year warranty for under £50. Bargain!.
    Wouldn't put a watch in a cleaner, even if properly water tight. Vibrations may well harm movement and may not be water tight under ultrasonic conditions.

Do you have to use the special cleaning solution in ultrasonic cleaners or can you just use water?

Master
    I don’t even use a cleaner. Just a luke warm sink of water and soft head tooth brush. Seems to do the trick.

Journeyman
    Microfibre Watch Cleaning Cloth - anyone tried these?

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/40291...referrer=COJUN

Just use baby wipes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
    Microfibre Watch Cleaning Cloth - anyone tried these?

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/40291...referrer=COJUN
    These are good. That's a great price.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Do you have to use the special cleaning solution in ultrasonic cleaners or can you just use water?
    I use bit of detergent (washing-up liquid).

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I use bit of detergent (washing-up liquid).
    Ta

Journeyman
    Large atomiser Zeiss Lens Cleaner and one of those cloths you use for cleaning your eye glasses with.

Electric toothbrush plus worn cleaning head for bracelets

simples
    Last edited by Guycord; 1st April 2018 at 14:02.