closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Air Conditioning

Air Conditioning

I have a 60 or so year old house which was a bungalow until a few years ago when a new floor was added. Upstairs is boiling. Always at least 5 or 6C hotter than downstairs. Keeping all windows and doors wide open makes no real difference and as soon as they get closed the temperature marches upwards. It's was 30.3C in my son's room last night at 4.40 in the morning.

I have a study upstairs, as soon as I turn on the PC and monitor the temperature rockets. It's been terrible for a coupe of years, but the recent heatwave has made me determined to fix it.

I think I need to do two things. Firstly I need to ventilate the loft. The temperature in there is nuts and I believe that is where the the heat at night comes from that makes it ~10C hotter in the house than outside. No idea how I'm going to do that. Secondly, I think I need to get some air conditioning.

Has anyone added a multi-split system to their home?

One quiet box outside and a two or three units installed upstairs and maybe one downstairs seems like a decent idea.

Something like this - https://www.saturnsales.co.uk/LG-MU3...oor-Units.html ?

I've looked online and most companies want to come out and design a bespoke system and charge a fortune, but it looks like I should be able to get it done for ~£1800 for the units and fixtures and then £500-£1000 for a couple of FGAS certified people to come out and install it?

Anyone got any tips?

Craftsman
    i fitted it last year as we get the sun all day on the front of the house . The unit externally is situated outside round the back and in the shade with the pipes running up and along the eaves . The prices you are getting are about right tbh as this is the time of year everyone wants it ( surprise surprise ) I had it fitted out of season last march and dont regret it one bit . I called him a few weeks ago and he wanted circa 8-900 iirc to lob it in another room but i needed to check siting of the new unit for that one . Chalk and cheese compared to the mobile units
    Where are you based ?

Thanks. I'm in Epping on the edge of Essex/London.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I have a friend from the car club down your way fits it , hes good and try him but hes flat out as they all are so you will need to gritt your teeth a bit
    here is his number at https://www.aircoolsystemsuk.co.uk/company-history
    mickey is spot on

Insulate the loft space. A refelective thermal insulation on the pitch the roof will help keep a lot of heat out.

Have you considered an air source heat pump instead of AC?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    If you find a good local supplier/installer let me know - I am just down the road in South Woodford and have started to think about getting a multi-split system too

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Lee View Post
    Have you considered an air source heat pump instead of AC?
    I have a Toshiba one at the back of my house.... feels lovely at the moment... nice bits of kit

I got mine on eBay and got a firm to install it for £50...

Might put a cardy on!