closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Camera for a road trip

Master

Camera for a road trip

Every couple of years I take a group of youngsters away (Scouts) on a road trip, two years ago we drove down to Romania this year we are doing Poland and 2019 possibly China but it's not set in stone yet.
    It would be good when we do presentations do show a speeded up journey.

What I would like to do is film our journey so this time it will be up to 10 hours a day travelling for a couple of weeks.
    So I'm after something to film the trip, ideally something that can sit on the dash or possibly stick on the screen, but as we have hired a coach it will need to be discrete and we won't be able to connect to the coaches power so will either need a decent battery or be able to run on power packs.

Not sure about memory capacity either would I need to change memory cards every few hours when we stop or can you suggest something that could record on to an external hard drive.
    I will have my laptop with me so can download memory cards on to that each evening.

Can anyone suggest that will do what I'm after?

I would suggest Sony as they have the best compact cameras (in my opinion).

Sony HX90V or if you can afford the better more expensive Sony RX100 series (minimum RX 100 III or upwards I would say).

Sony WX500 is also really good.

Hope you had fun in Ro. :)

As far as memory goes, you just have to get a 64gb (or higher) memory card and you'll have more than enough space.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    It would be good when we do presentations do show a speeded up journey.

What I would like to do is film our journey so this time it will be up to 10 hours a day travelling for a couple of weeks.
    Assuming 10 hours for (say) 10 days, that's 100 hours or 6,000 minutes. I think speeded up footage has a fairly limited novelty factor and so if it lasts more than a couple of minutes, the audience will be nodding off. To speed up 6,000 minutes to a short enough clip would involve such a speed (eg 1,000x to give a 6 minute clip) that I'm not sure the viewer would get much out of it.

So I'm after something to film the trip, ideally something that can sit on the dash or possibly stick on the screen, but as we have hired a coach it will need to be discrete and we won't be able to connect to the coaches power so will either need a decent battery or be able to run on power packs.

Not sure about memory capacity either would I need to change memory cards every few hours when we stop or can you suggest something that could record on to an external hard drive.
    I will have my laptop with me so can download memory cards on to that each evening.

Can anyone suggest that will do what I'm after?
    Anyway, the obvious choice would be a dashcam but if you have no power supply, that's out.

I think ordo was recommending cameras with video capability. Obviously a camcorder is an alternative. I got a Sony camcorder with a built in hard drive nearly 10 years ago and it's still going strong. I think it can record 50 hours or so at 1080 HD. I got a very large spare battery and that 'only' runs for 6 hours. The supplied battery was probably more like 90 minutes life tops. Video shooting does eat battery life.

I think budget will be your issue. I can't see a cheap option (unless someone will lend you the gear).
    Last edited by David_D; 19th June 2017 at 14:10.

Master
    what about a go-pro clone, perhaps with time lapse enabled with an external power pack?

Master
    Hadn't thought about how quick it would be speed.

Maybe a time lapse is the way to go?

The battery life and physical size will be a factor for a video camera

Will look at go pro clones

Master
    Hadn't thought about how quick it would be speed.

The battery life and physical size will be a factor for a video camera

Will look at go pro clones
    Camcorders like this are really very small and more versatile than a Go Pro style cam.

Canon LEGRIA HFR706 Camcorder + Extra Battery £129.99 @ Argos
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/cano...-argos-2711826

Sent from my iPhone

Master
    Interesting I hadn't realised camcorders had got so cheap, but then the last one I bought was around 2001

Master
    SJCAM? I have the sj4000 wifi- has a dashcam and time lapse settings

Master

Isn't time lapse more about shooting a changing scene from a static position - like the construction of a sky scraper?

Just take video and pick out some interesting clips. It's just too long a journey to be able to condense the whole trip meaningfully.

Master
    Your right.
    As you can tell it's all new to me

Craftsman
    I think 100 hours of road trip is going to be a boring video.

Have you thought about just using a phone camera and DJI Spark.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    SJCAM? I have the sj4000 wifi- has a dashcam and time lapse settings
    Here is some footage I took last summer- obviously not dashboard but the cameras pretty good for £60
    Kayaking with dolphins- Tenerife by biglewie, on Flickr