closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TAG service?

Master

TAG service?

Morning,
    Who is recommended or who have you used on the forum to service TAG watches?
    Workmate wants his servicing.

Master
    Duncan at Genesis Watchmaking does a good job.

Craftsman
    Second that ^^^^^^^^

Duncan serviced a Tag for my wife... The watch had led a very tough life and came back like new..

Mark

Whatever you do, don't send it to Tag. I sent one there 3 or 4 years ago and it came back broken and had to go back for another 6 weeks!

Master
    Thanks for the info.

Master
    Just sent mine off to Tag, using their pre-paid RMSD pack they send out. Have never used Tag service before, so will hopefully be as good as Breitling / Omega / Rolex etc.

Didn't think to consider an independent.

Grand Master
    Strongly advise finding an independent who has access to TAG parts.

LVMH do things very differently to the rest of the Swiss brands. They haven't supplied wholesalers for a few years, but they are usually happy to supply bona fide repairers.

I've had a good relationship with LVMH for the past 4-5 years, but I'm not interested in working on any watches for the forseeable future. I'm also not prepared to try sourcing parts for anyone; I'm supplied with parts for repairs I undertake, passing them on to third parties is a no-no.

Another word of advice; if approaching an independent give them sufficient latitude to do a thorough job, don't start haggling over price and trying to negotiate. Most watches I've worked on need a good deal more doing than the owner thinks; sending a watch back when it's not been fully sorted out is a bad idea and that's why repairers don't like partial repairs. You have to accept that ownership and maintenance of watches costs money, the days of cheap servicing are over.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Strongly advise finding an independent who has access to TAG parts.

Paul
    Any recommendations on independents who have access to TAG parts?

TAG want the whole watch to go back for one bracelet link which seems mad.

Master
    I sent my ana-digi Aquaracer to Tag; they posted out a pre-paid RMSD pack and service case for me to send it in.

This morning I got a text and an email confirming receipt, and a link to my service account where it details where the watch is (in terms of the process - currently "being inspected" or something similar) and apparently will detail all the work needing doing etc after examination.

Quite a nifty service - I believe Omega do the same (my new Speedmaster will be going back for regulation shortly so can report on that too).

It's nice being able to instantly see what's going on without having to ring customer services etc.

Journeyman
    My Dad sent his 2006 Tag Carrera away for servicing with Tag (through Goldsmiths) and they did an appalling job. When the watch was returned the first time the movement of the crown during winding was course and slightly at an angle. He sent it back and they returned it again but this time it was keeping poor time. Overall he didn't have the watch for 6 months and after returning it a second time Tag offered him a new watch up to £4.5k (the current rrp of a comparable Carrera) or a replacement movement. As the watch had sentimental value he went for the movement. Even though the replacement offer was a fair one, I'd never go near them if ever I was to get one serviced.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Just sent mine off to Tag, using their pre-paid RMSD pack they send out. Have never used Tag service before, so will hopefully be as good as Breitling / Omega / Rolex etc.

Didn't think to consider an independent.
    I don't know where you are in the process but they'll inspect the watch and quote for the work before doing anything.

If you don't accept the price then they'll send your watch back without charge.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I don't know where you are in the process but they'll inspect the watch and quote for the work before doing anything.

If you don't accept the price then they'll send your watch back without charge.
    Yes, I can track it online (they email you a personalised link with username/password upon receipt) but so far it just says "received" but the email said it was being examined and a detailed report would appear online once ready. Quite impressed with the organisational side so far.

Master
    Just to update, I got a text saying to check the online service platform where there was a pdf file awaiting my review - it detailed a full maintenance service, all new gaskets, battery and ultrasonic cleaning for £80*.

There is then an option to click "accept" or "decline" at which point you are taken to a payment page and then the work happens, with an estimated 3 week turn around time.

Not bad, all in all.

EDIT:
    * yes, £80, you read that right. Maybe a little cheaper as it's a quartz?
    Last edited by ach5; 27th June 2017 at 10:56.

Journeyman
    Just to update, I got a text saying to check the online service platform where there was a pdf file awaiting my review - it detailed a full maintenance service, all new gaskets, battery and ultrasonic cleaning for £80.

There is then an option to click "accept" or "decline" at which point you are taken to a payment page and then the work happens, with an estimated 3 week turn around time.

Not bad, all in all.
    Sorry I may have misread that but is that £80 for all that work?

Master
    I thought that too - yes, £80 !

I was expecting £300 ish, based on many a Breitling experience.

I'll post a screenshot later so you can all see what the service platform looks like, and the quote. It's quite a good system, I think.

Journeyman
    I thought that too - yes, £80 !

I was expecting £300 ish, based on many a Breitling experience.
    Wow yes far less than I would have thought, last time I had my Kirium serviced by Tag it was over £200 which is why I thought I must have misread your costs and work

Master
    ...unless they've mis-quoted!!

Journeyman
    ...unless they've mis-quoted!!
    Hopefully not and once you've accepted it sounds like they would have to honour the cost or have to inform you of a change that you'd need to agree again

Master

Wasn't it Seiko who it turned out that with watches less than say £1000, they just bin the quartz movement and stick a new one in during a service?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Wasn't it Seiko who it turned out that with watches less than say £1000, they just bin the quartz movement and stick a new one in during a service?
    They do that with the autos too. It's cheaper for them and less problematic to replace the movement.

Only expect servicing on the high end stuff.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

The invoice says that during a maintenance service the movement is 'checked'. Presumably, if there's nothing wrong with it then there's no more work to do.

The £80 sounds like the going rate for a battery change new seals and a clean. Quotes in the hundreds for quartz servicing usually involve a new movement.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Master

Cool

with Duncan at Genesis you get to speak to someone

Master
    Got an email yesterday to say the watch would be back with me today.

I logged on to the online platform just to see if there was anything new of interest there, but it seems that the login gets disabled once they send the watch back out, and I am no longer able to access it.

Still, loads of notifications at every step of the way which is great.

Will update once the watch arrives back.

Apprentice
    Hi, I don't want to worry you unduly as you are probable very excited to get your watch back BUT.............

I sent my girlfriends watch off to TAG in Manchester via the same method as the movement had failed. They replaced the movement for a nominal fee but when the watch came back every one of the polished links were scratched.....and I don't mean just a bit. It looked like it has been dragged down a concrete slab. I was flabbergasted !!! I personally would never send anything to those jokers again. Quality control must be none existent. It was shocking that TAG could return a watch in such a condition. I should have returned it but couldn't be bothered as I know a good independent who polished it up for me. Be sure to check your watch over with a fine tooth comb for damage when it comes back. Report back if all is OK, I'd be interested to know. I'm sure it will be fine

Master
    I sure will!

I didnt specifically ask, but I assume it will be given a polish so should come back "as new"...

I'm not very anal about my watches and don't really notice / bother about scratches, so I never really inspect them that closely, but I will check this one FYI.

Master
    Small scratch on the case side which I find surprising - QC is obviously lacking. I've never had a watch back from service before anything less than "shop new" (Breilting, Omega & Rolex).

Also, they haven't refurbished, polished or seemingly even cleaned the bracelet. I assumed this would be part of the service, but perhaps that's why it was only £80.

Not a problem, as I have an ultrasonic bath!

I sent my Zenith to Manchester with the LVMH concierge service. They fixed the watch for free even though it was a few months out of warranty. I was very impressed, They did not polish the watch but that did not bother me at all as there were no significant scratches.

Master
    Who should I be sending my mid size omega seamaster to for a service?
    Duncan again or elsewhere, cheers.