closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New from old

New from old

An interesting little video . . .

F.T.F.A.

Enjoyed that, nothing like watching a particular skill set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting this! Every time when I was thinking 'That's good enough', there was another round of polishing!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    B&Q will do you a new one for £7, could get there and back in the time this video took to run.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    B&Q will do you a new one for £7, could get there and back in the time this video took to run.
    No doubt they could - and no doubt it'll be sh**e quality, whereas this one will last a lifetime, cut cleaner, keep an edge for longer and give the owner the pleasure of having restored it.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    AGREED as B&@ no doubt forge their axes from Guangdong monkey metal...

Very nice, thanks Bob, and well worth the effort.

While I've enjoyed the video, was it just me who noticed that the guy didn't wear goggles and tried to saw 'in' his hand so to speak? I know, I know..
    Last edited by VDG; 15th June 2017 at 22:48.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    thanks for posting OP,i enjoyed that.i inherited my late father in law's ancient huge bearded woodsman's axe,puts modern crap to shame when splitting logs..

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Stick to psychic readings. BBQ axes are crap.
    Last edited by seadog1408; 16th June 2017 at 09:48. Reason: spelling..........again

Excellent Bob! I enjoyed that. Great restoration project... most people would have just thrown that away. Finished better than when it was new I bet.

dang good work but I was expecting some chopping something at the end....

Journeyman
    Great vid - I initially tbought 8 mins 39? I'll not watch all of that but the time flew by!

Great restoration job.

Really enjoyed that
    An artist

Journeyman
    I really enjoyed watching that. Anyone know why he heated up the blade and then dunked it in the oil. Was it to temper it again?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jim View Post
    I really enjoyed watching that. Anyone know why he heated up the blade and then dunked it in the oil. Was it to temper it again?

Hearing to red and quenching hardened the steel, 200c in the oven and quench tempered it to the required hardness.

The bloke's got wayyyyyy too much time on his hands...
    I'm trying to find a reason why anyone would spend so much time, on something like that...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    The bloke's got wayyyyyy too much time on his hands...
    I'm trying to find a reason why anyone would spend so much time, on something like that...
    you are not alone, hence my £7 B&Q comment, probably some rich kid who enjoys 'working with his hands' and has a warehouse on his fathers estate to 'play'

you are not alone, hence my £7 B&Q comment, probably some rich kid who enjoys 'working with his hands' and has a warehouse on his fathers estate to 'play'
    Or just someone who enjoys working with wood and metal in his spare time in order to bring something old back to life.

He could of course just spend his time waffling on a watch forum instead!

I would have thought you'd apply your investigative prowess about him, in which case you'd see just how wrong you are.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jim View Post

The oil quench is less severe than a water quench. In both cases the quench causes a (diffusionless) phase transformation in the steel to a very hard martensite phase (oil not as much as water). However, as quenched it's often too brittle to be useful in impact type applications... like an axe.
    The 200°C is the tempering treatment, which (as it's a lower temp) allows a controlled diffusion of the carbon to reduce the martensite content & therefore results in a tougher (impact resistant) steel.

I love watching this stuff BTW

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    The oil quench is less severe than a water quench. In both cases the quench causes a (diffusionless) phase transformation in the steel to a very hard martensite phase (oil not as much as water). However, as quenched it's often too brittle to be useful in impact type applications... like an axe.
    The 200°C is the tempering treatment, which (as it's a lower temp) allows a controlled diffusion of the carbon to reduce the martensite content & therefore results in a tougher (impact resistant) steel.

I love watching this stuff BTW

z
    Check out his other videos then, you're in for a treat.

R

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Or just someone who enjoys working with wood and metal in his spare time in order to bring something old back to life.

He could of course just spend his time waffling on a watch forum instead!
    indeed, and spending hours bringing old stuff back to life, coupled with new designs, and then editing the videos, creating a massive presence within social media, uploading video's/photo's to Pinterest/videoamigo.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I would have thought you'd apply your investigative prowess about him, in which case you'd see just how wrong you are.

R
    I think you will find that I already did, and I also think you will find that he is indeed a rich kid, with too much time on his hands, spending hours bringing old stuff back to life, coupled with new designs, and then editing the videos, creating a massive presence within social media, uploading video's/photo's to Pinterest/videoamigo.

this is like 99% of the 'kids' on youtube making a 'fortune' they seem to be just kids doing their thing, those days are gone, with the only kids making money being the ones that can afford the sleak training/editing/production you see now. all of course made to look like a singular individual and his passion.

you have a lot to learn on this subject Ralphy, you already know you should never take anything on face value.

Master
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmSdQKARfBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmSdQKARfBM

I think I'll get one of these...I don't collect knives ; have a SAK a leatherman and a Kukri ( used for pruning christmas trees).