closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: McGregor V's Mayweather result.

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • McGregor win by KO

8 7.69%
  • Mayweather win by KO

65 62.50%
  • McGregor win on points

1 0.96%
  • Mayweather win on points

28 26.92%
  • Draw

2 1.92%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: McGregor V's Mayweather - It's on !!!!

Master
    If this is anything to go by he will get spanked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8kTW1ofejM

and the guy he is sparing with is an up and comer not a world champ, honestly its just a bloody joke............

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Agreed there comes a time when we all slow down, but Mayweather is still only 40.
    40 years old and competing against the world number two in boxing is a lot bigger ask than being 40 and fighting against a guy who has never had a professional boxing match.
    Oh, l agree - which I why l have Mayweather clear favourite.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    This is plain daft. Mayweather will win pretty much when he chooses. Complete non-contest.
    +1 for me

McGregor is used to getting away with carrying his hands low as per technique for most UFC. He will just get picked off at Mayweathers leisure

40 isn't necessarily "old." Case in point is Bernard Hopkins who was still competitive at 50.

In MMA earlier this month, 43 year-old Aussie heavyweight Mark Hunt TKO'd an exhausted 32 year-old Derrick Lewis in the 4th 5-minute round. Sometimes age is just a number.

Craftsman
    Mayweather is 40, he should still win but McGregor is not only hard hitting but fast and accurate.
    If McGregor catches him Mayweather will go down.

It will be the first time Mayweather has fought somebody with a bigger mouth than he has got !

Master
    Boxing and MMA just seems to be like a complete showbiz joke these days.

I even saw on YouTube there's a 'big brother' style TV show for MMA where they stay in a big house together, get drunk, fight and do 'hilarious' pranks on each other.

I think it may well be one of (if not) the biggest purses in fight history. May we'll explain why McGregor is willing to get in the ring.

In the lead-up to the fight, I expect McGregor will allow his fiery Irish temper to erupt during a few press conferences and face-offs. He will likely "attack" Mayweather and need to be restrained. This will prompt a lot of additional media coverage and add to the PPVs. This is McGregor's historical style. It will be bedlam!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    I get why the pikey is doing it
    Nice. Dare you to say that to his face.

Blog Entries
    There's 12 years difference between them which has to be taken into account plus Mcgregor will come in a lot heavier. 12 years ago Floyd was absolutely destroying everyone including one of my favourites, Arturo Gatti, one of the hardest boxers on the planet. After 6 rounds it was over and Gatti looked like he'd been in with Edward Scissorhands, it would all be over in 3 for Mcgregor but looking at pictures of Floyd lately he looks fit but a lot smaller than he did in his pomp so it will be closer - no more than 7
    I'll watch it but no way am I paying for it
    All aboard the hype train !!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    There's 12 years difference between them which has to be taken into account plus Mcgregor will come in a lot heavier. 12 years ago Floyd was absolutely destroying everyone including one of my favourites, Arturo Gatti, one of the hardest boxers on the planet. After 6 rounds it was over and Gatti looked like he'd been in with Edward Scissorhands, it would all be over in 3 for Mcgregor but looking at pictures of Floyd lately he looks fit but a lot smaller than he did in his pomp so it will be closer - no more than 7
    Why will McGregor come in a lot heavier? Normal boxing rules apply.

Blog Entries
    Why will McGregor come in a lot heavier? Normal boxing rules apply.
    Only my opinion but Mcgregor is happy at 170 but can cut whereas Floyd is more happy at 145 even though he stepped up to destroy a world class Canello , my money is still on Mcgregor coming in heavy. So youth and size against experience makes it interesting but as I said up there ^^ somewhere if Mcgregor got in the ring with a current world champion like GGG he'd be getting carried out

One of the greatest boxers of all time, who is fit and still only 40, versus a man who has never boxed before, and people are wondering who will win ?
    Fools and their $200 million are easily parted.

When the fight was announced, I believe I read it would be contested at Welterweight, which is 147 pounds in boxing. McGregor's two UFC belts are at 145 and 155 pounds.

UPDATE: I just read an Associated Press report stating that the fight will be at 154 pounds, which is Super Welterweight.
    Last edited by pacifichrono; 16th June 2017 at 02:49.

Journeyman
    A McGregor disqualification is a possibility if he reacts in mma style, it's going to be hard to against years of technique / training and just stick to the gloves? This would of course raise the question of another lucrative rematch. Just an exhibition match imho

That’s the thing with one-offs: everyone involved knows they only need to fool the customer once. It’s not bad for boxing. It’s not bad for MMA. It’s not anything except a quick-strike money grab.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ght-ufc-boxing

The whole article is as one-sided as he thinks the fight will be.

Master
    If Connor doesn't win by KO in the first 4-5 rounds then Mayweather will win. And I think he will. Connor will be unable to use his front kick, which sets up his counter left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    age a factor here?

Mayweather is an old man?
    Many people have said this in his last few fights. But for someone who doesn't get into wars or gets hit much - He can go on for a few more years easily. Love or hate him Mayweather is one of the greatest of all time, and boxing needs characters like him.

As a fight fan I want Connor to win so we get a rematch. Which Connor will only do if he gets paid a silly amount of money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fierbois16 View Post
    A McGregor disqualification is a possibility if he reacts in mma style, it's going to be hard to against years of technique / training and just stick to the gloves? This would of course raise the question of another lucrative rematch. Just an exhibition match imho
    You might be on to something there.

It could be a good get out for him or excuse not to be properly beaten. If he plays dirty and gets disqualified he can still say he's the greatest without having the fighting defeat over him.

I wouldn't be surprised if that very thing happened.

I have a lot of respect for his training and fighting, but I can't see how he'd win a boxing match watching that sparring session above?

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    You might be on to something there.

It could be a good get out for him or excuse not to be properly beaten. If he plays dirty and gets disqualified he can still say he's the greatest without having the fighting defeat over him.

I wouldn't be surprised if that very thing happened.

I have a lot of respect for his training and fighting, but I can't see how he'd win a boxing match watching that sparring session above?
    I've been thinking about this scenario a bit - a bit like when Floyd went on WWE. This almost feels like a WWE show.

But one thing to note - the hype is real, we're discussing it here and in all corners of the 'net. Guess this will make $$$$$ for both fighters.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    In the lead-up to the fight, I expect McGregor will allow his fiery Irish temper to erupt during a few press conferences and face-offs. He will likely "attack" Mayweather and need to be restrained. This will prompt a lot of additional media coverage and add to the PPVs. This is McGregor's historical style. It will be bedlam!

Psychology/mind games or showmanship, Cassius Clay/Muhamamd Ali was one of the first to do it, most memorable to the "Big Old Ugly Bear" Sonny Liston who thought Clay/Ali was mad and Conor did the same thing to Jose Aldo at every opportunity.

It is a form of bullying and harassment but if you fall for this you are "weak minded" which to a boxer or anyone in MMA is a paradox.

Conor is a fighter/showman but all these build up events/pre-fight interviews/show downs gets more people interested, more tickets sales, more PPV money, more supporters loving him, more supporters hating him resulting bigger pay days.

I remember Michael Spinks looking petrified walking around the ring before fighting Mike Tyson who wasn't mentally fit himself (still getting over Jim Jacobs death, Bill Clayton & Don King fighting over him and married life to Robin Givens).
    If I remember rightly Tyson knocking Spinks down with left uppercut and a solid right body punch, when Spinks got back to his feet threw a sloppy overhand right and Tyson threw a right hook; it was Spinks 1st ever loss and never fought again.

AJ's proved that you can go from no experience to Olympic Gold Medalist in a few years.

Conor's got a better starting point, match fit, and will be having the best coaching available, hopefully having youth, speed and strength on his side will even things out a little.

Journeyman
    Mayweather will keep his distance for a couple of rounds keeping McGregor busy. Mcgregor will start to tire by the 3 round when which it will all be over by TKO. Mayweather wins in the 3rd.

MMA artist takes on the best boxer the world has seen in modern times in his class.... In a 'boxing' match with boxing rules. Only in America.

But hey...McG stands to make a ridiculous amount of money, he'll retire and do something else..everyone is happy.

I for one am looking forward to it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    AJ's proved that you can go from no experience to Olympic Gold Medalist in a few years.

Conor's got a better starting point, match fit, and will be having the best coaching available, hopefully having youth, speed and strength on his side will even things out a little.
    Yes, you're right.

I doubt he's capable (because of his ego) but it wouldn't hurt his chances to put out a load of rubbish looking sparring sessions and make FM think he's going to walk it.

Yes, you're right.

I doubt he's capable (because of his ego) but it wouldn't hurt his chances to put out a load of rubbish looking sparring sessions and make FM think he's going to walk it.
    Could affect the betting as well. Not that I'm suggesting anything underhand.

Journeyman
    Yes, you're right.

I thought the exact same thing...Make it look easy. The time it takes to pull back his heavy right is painfully slow...MW would put a few solid hits in in that time..Dangle the carrot so to speak.

The MW team will be looking to take him out swiftly and with class.

(I would love to see CM win but regrettably it's not going to happen)

Master
    Mayweather isn't a knock out artist. His art lies in making it look easy and making his opponent look clueless. Against someone with barely any boxing experience it's going to be a walk in the park.

He won't end it early, he doesn't have that sort of power. he's older but he's not exactly been involved in many wars that will be taking their toll on him, plus he's always looked after himself so I don't think there's a worry of him getting old in the ring.

He either ends it once McGregor gases in rounds 7-10 or schools him for 12 rounds to humiliate him.

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Money v Gatti was a hell of fight, anyone who thinks that Floyd can't punch should watch that.

Master
    Technically mcgregor is an awful boxer, he will be destroyed and outclassed, if it was rolling around the canvas in an mma fight then mcgregor would wipe the floor with mayweather, at near 100million each its a good earner for both. Pointless imo but hey ho!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    He won't end it early, he doesn't have that sort of power. he's older but he's not exactly been involved in many wars that will be taking their toll on him, plus he's always looked after himself so I don't think there's a worry of him getting old in the ring.
    By his own admission he has hand problems. Well-documented prior to the Hatton fight - not that they set him back!

Craftsman
    I can't see FM taking this fight lightly and tarnishing his record by losing to a MMA fighter. He's been smart his entire career fighting the right person at the right time, I think it'll be a FM win either by points or TKO with CM's face getting marked up

Banned
    Mayweather would make him look silly.
    Unfortunately I think this will be the case.

Conors best chance is if he can get inside Floyds jab and throw some shots from unusual angles or chuck in the odd superman punch which Floyd may not see coming - either that or hide a spin kick behind his own jab and kick Floyd in the head!

For me it's quite simple - under boxing rules McGregor has maybe a 5% chance (a punchers chance if you like), under MMA rules Mayweather has a 0% chance and probably gets choked out or a broken arm (or maybe worse).

Mayweather within 3 rounds.

Apprentice
    Mayweather all the way. It's a joke though. I can't believe enough people are willing to pay for it to generate that much cash plus serious profit for everyone else as well. It's just a money making scam. And good old Conor is laughing all the way to the bank.

D

Master
    I'm going to say McGregor. Punches thrown from different angles to a classical boxer. Younger man, much bigger, plus he has the appetite for greatness.

I watched some Mayweather fights back the other night, he's been tagged with punches quite a few times in his career and wobbled.

Just been looking at the odds. You can get 1/6 on Mayweather and at the same bookmaker, McGregor is only 4-1. I can only assume that these odds are being shored up by young MMA fans who have yet to grasp that McGregor is competing in a sport he has never competed in, against a guy who has never been beaten, and widely thought to be one of the best ever. Forget a 'punchers chance', he won't get near to landing a meaningful punch. The only possibility of Mcgregor winning is if Mayweather gets an injury disabling at least three limbs. These odds look as near to 'money for nothing' as I've seen. The true odds have to be about five to tens time that - at least.

Apprentice
    McGregor has a great left hand if you're not a boxer. Mayweather in the third round. He will allow him two rounds for the $100m.

D

Unfortunately I'd be surprised if 1 or both of them haven't been declared bankrupt before the decade is out. Never seems to end well for fighters with few exceptions...

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Just been looking at the odds. You can get 1/6 on Mayweather and at the same bookmaker, McGregor is only 4-1. I can only assume that these odds are being shored up by young MMA fans who have yet to grasp that McGregor is competing in a sport he has never competed in, against a guy who has never been beaten, and widely thought to be one of the best ever. Forget a 'punchers chance', he won't get near to landing a meaningful punch. The only possibility of Mcgregor winning is if Mayweather gets an injury disabling at least three limbs. These odds look as near to 'money for nothing' as I've seen. The true odds have to be about five to tens time that - at least.
    There's a "Holy Grail" comment to be had in this one ;-}

Rob.

Just been watching some of the Mayweather vs McGregor roadshow. Do they really need to go so low to promote this fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-rf3NCvYDI (jump to 20:00)

Journeyman
    Mayweather win but if McGregor catches him with a solid left it could get interesting

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    Just been watching some of the Mayweather vs McGregor roadshow. Do they really need to go so low to promote this fight.

A couple of Neanderthals... boxing is a joke these days, god help us if these are todays sporting icons.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    The roadshows have convinced me absolutely not to watch this. Disgusting behaviour and quite why these professionals and their advisors are going down this route is beyond me. (Well it's not really, but seriously this is as close to prostitution as I've ever seen the sport sink. When you make WWE look classy by comparison you need to take a hard look at yourself.)
    One is already retired and only coming back for one massive payday, and the other is going to make more money off this one fight than he will probably make over his whole MMA career.
    It's quite easy to see why they are doing it.

Journeyman
    God imagine if McGregor wins

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    And they are doing all this crap so people will pay the £80 pay per view charge........ just horrible!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post

I think it is brilliant, really looking forward to McGregor chasing Mayweather down and busting him in the mouth,
    before knocking him cold, Mayweather is going to get hit in ways and from angles he cannot even imagine.

McGregor is a truly disgusting representation of a human being. I won't pay him for this drivel.

Much like politicians, I'm tempted to say that we get the entertainers we deserve.

Master
    I just watched a bit of it live on YouTube. McGregor is embarrassing. I didn't make it past him talking.

It's a complete joke.

Have they said how much it's gonna cost on Ppv yet ?