closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: McGregor V's Mayweather result.

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • McGregor win by KO

8 7.69%
  • Mayweather win by KO

65 62.50%
  • McGregor win on points

1 0.96%
  • Mayweather win on points

28 26.92%
  • Draw

2 1.92%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McGregor V's Mayweather - It's on !!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

McGregor V's Mayweather - It's on !!!!

OK, where is the money going? I will go with McGregor,

Floyd Mayweather to fight Conor McGregor in boxing match in August

Former boxing world champion Floyd Mayweather will fight UFC champion Conor McGregor in a boxing match in Las Vegas on 26 August.

American Mayweather, 40, posted a video on Twitter confirming the details with the message: "It's official."

Irish UFC lightweight champion McGregor, 28, said: "The fight is on."

It is reported that each fighter could earn $100m (£78.4m) from the bout, which would be one of the richest in boxing history.

Former five-weight world champion Mayweather, widely considered the best boxer of his generation, retired unbeaten in 2015 after 49 bouts.

It followed a successful defence of his WBC and WBA welterweight titles, a victory that equalled Rocky Marciano's career record of 49-0.

Mayweather retired for the first time in 2008 after 39 fights.

Mixed martial artist McGregor, who has never boxed professionally, became the UFC's first dual-division champion in November 2016 and has previously challenged Mayweather to a fight under mixed martial arts rules.

His boxing licence was granted by the California State Athletic Commission in December, allowing him to box in the US state.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/40283206
    Last edited by soundood; 14th June 2017 at 23:32.

In a boxing match - Mayweather.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    that would be my logical decision, he is a legend, but logic cannot be applied here, and McGregor can hit like a steam train, I will go win by KO by McGregor.

Craftsman
    My money's on McGregor. Both the best at what they do but I think the power of McGregors fists mixed with the movement of mixed martial arts will be a recipe for success.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Mayweather would make him look silly.

Craftsman
    If it's box, Mayweather wins easily

This is plain daft. Mayweather will win pretty much when he chooses. Complete non-contest.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I assume it's a boxing match?
    If so, Mayweather all the way. The term Jack of all trades may not be fair to McGregor but I can't see how he can go toe to toe with a boxer under Queensbury rules.

Master
    I expect Mayweather to have McGregor swinging at fresh air for a few rounds and will then start inflicting some punishment. I see a tko partly fuelled by exhaustion on McGregor's part.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    that would be my logical decision, he is a legend, but logic cannot be applied here, and McGregor can hit like a steam train, I will go win by KO by McGregor.
    I'll go with Floyd, I don't think he'll drop his guard and let Conner get near his chin. There'll be a lot of dancing around, prancing, posturing and very few punches being thrown. I can't imaging it'll ever live up to the hype that's about to start from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    This is plain daft. Mayweather will win pretty much when he chooses. Complete non-contest.
    This for me as well.
    Purely for the money this fight.

Surprised by this.

CM will only be able to use 20% or so of his weaponry while Mayweather will be able to fight as he has done for decades.

CM has speed and power but if Mayweather is able to get out of the way of his straight lefts, I think CM may run out of ideas quite quickly.

Craftsman
    I think a better poll would be, how many of us are willing to pay to watch it?
    It's a farce, we're taking one of the sports real naturals, literally a standout fighter from a generation .. and your putting him in a ring with a lad who'se main talent has been building a brand.

Master
    I'm still sceptical. I'll believe it when I see the ring walks (not that I'd actually watch it live)

49 professional boxsrs, world champions, hall of famers have tried against Floyd. 49 have failed. Many of them have been made to look positively amateur too. I can't see anything other than a complete master class in hit and don't get hit. He'll counter Connor all night and potentially KO him like he got Hatton. Using his aggression against him.

Saying that, mcgregor has nothing to lose and a lot to gain. If he wins, well that's a truly astonishing achievement. If he loses he gets a record paycheck and can just say at least he had to nuts to try it against the best pure boxer in a very long time

Be interested in why drug testing they use. Normally a big deal breaker for Mayweather

History says Floyd will make Connor look foolish. But these days a lot of strange things have been happening:

• Melting of polar ice caps and global warming
    • The Great Recession
    • Donald Trump
    • Brexit
    • Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Champions ending 108-year drought

The uncertainty of McGregor vs. Mayweather is what makes it a multi-hundred million dollar fight. I guess I'll be purchasing the PPV like many, many others.

Last edited by pacifichrono; 15th June 2017 at 01:32.

Don't forget may weather been retired for 2 years
    May never get it back

Master
    Mayweather has barely been touched for 20 years fighting elite boxers so I don't expect that to change against an average boxer.

Logic tells me, mayweather, but having retired over two years ago and with him now in his 40's, you have to give a small chance to McGregor. Some be a good bout either way!

Master
    Everyone goes on about knockouts but boxing is a points scoring game and no one better at it than Mayweather. Mayweather to rack up a stack of rounds and then pick off McGregor as he has to force the pace through desperation.

Then again 20lbs advantage is not to be sniffed at.

Blog Entries
    If Mcgregor wants to prove himself as a boxer why doesn't he get in with GGG? I think he'd struggle against anyone in the top 10 lightweight/welterwight
    It's just a massive pay day, he's obviously fancying his chances against someone 12/13 years older than himself and retired for 2 years. It'll be an awful fight with very few punches being thrown and even fewer landing but I'll still watch it. Mayweather wouldn't come back and risk his perfect record if he didn't think he could do it, he's made the best boxers in the world look ridiculous and Mcgregor wouldn't even make it in the top 20, he's got a left hook - that's it. Mayweather for an easy win

Craftsman
    Mayweather whenever, and however he wants!

World class boxers couldn't get near him.

I suppose McGregor has a punchers chance.....but nothing more.

Mayweather has faced better boxers and harder punchers than McGregor

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Absolutely this. It's a freak-show. World-class boxers haven't been able to touch Mayweather. It's purely being staged to make McGregor a bit chunk of cash and that's fine but it's a pointless boxing match that Mayweather will win when he decides to.

My brain says Mayweather, by a country mile, but my heart says McGregor. I'd love to see Flloyd knocked clean out.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Mayweather all the way, McG has no chance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Absolutely this. It's a freak-show. World-class boxers haven't been able to touch Mayweather. It's purely being staged to make McGregor a bit chunk of cash and that's fine but it's a pointless boxing match that Mayweather will win when he decides to.
    Sounds like compulsive viewing !

Banned
    Blog Entries
    age a factor here?

Mayweather is an old man?

Master
    Bad timing! I'm in Vegas from the 1st to 6th September and was hoping they would do that weekend as that was the shout. Atmosphere against Hatton in 2007 was electric.

Master
    Few observations

Conors chances are about as good as mayweathers in an mma bout ...slim, but he was the one prepared to take a risk

His only hope is a knock out, he hits big and every fighter who has fought him say that his speed and the angles he finds are something they have never faced so that's his only hope

For McGregor it's a win win he will make out like a bandit and if he loses I don't think it impacts his mma career , Floyd can't lose hnece this is a boxing match

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Can't see beyond this... points desicoin would be a suprise

Master
    McGregor won't be able to lay a glove on Mayweather.
    Fantasy stuff to think otherwise.

Craftsman
    Mayweather is not getting any younger, but he'll still be a formidable opponent. I'll say a win inside the distance.

Master
    If this happens (which I very much doubt) it will be a freak show. I just don't see the point. McGregor is an nob but a very good MMA fighter. Mayweather is also a nob but one of the greatest fighters we have seen in a generation. I get why the pikey is doing it just not sure why Mayweather would degrade himself........ (I understand the cash but he has a fair bit of that and I am sure other 'real' fights would earn him more!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Floyd has the ability to do what very few sportsmen in any sport can do - dictate the pace of the game (or fight in this case).

He'll frustrate the crap out of him early on, settle the fight into the way he wants it to be fought and gradually start to land the punches from the 3rd round on.

At his pace and on his terms.

Much the same as every other Mayweather fight.

As others have said, proper world class boxers haven't been able to land purposeful punches on him so I can't see how McGregor will either.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    My brain says Mayweather, by a country mile, but my heart says McGregor. I'd love to see Flloyd knocked clean out.
    This

Master
    It ought to be a dull points win for Mayweather as he hasn't got the power to stop McGregor (or any decent pro fighter) without risking getting tagged and he won't do that intentionally.

It's a cynical money raising exercise. Would have been awesome to see two rich geezers donate the proceeds to charity, that would have left a legacy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    It ought to be a dull points win for Mayweather as he hasn't got the power to stop McGregor (or any decent pro fighter) without risking getting tagged and he won't do that intentionally.

It's a cynical money raising exercise. Would have been awesome to see two rich geezers donate the proceeds to charity, that would have left a legacy.
    Not remember him handing Ricky Hatton his first defeat by KO?
    Devastating if the mood takes him.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Not remember him handing Ricky Hatton his first defeat by KO?
    Devastating if the mood takes him.
    Yeah, we were all 8.5yrs younger then! His last 7 wins have all been on points so he ain't going to blow Mac out of there but he could box his ears off in 12 rounds of classy but dull jab and move. First 6 rounds boxing, last 6 MMA would have been worth watching....

Master
    not sure about mystic macs ability to last 12 rounds either

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    age a factor here?

Mayweather is an old man?
    This is my brother, he is a few months away from 49 and he's supremely fit.

Do you think Mayweather is going to come into the ring anything less than 100% fit? He has too much pride not to.

Mayweather will be absolutely in tip top condition for this fight. He always has been and apparently stays in very good condition in between fights as well.

Conor is used to a max of 5 rounds of 5 minutes = 25 mins, so I reckon he'll be able to last 5 rounds of boxing (all arm fatigue as well). Conor can only win by being super aggressive and banking on absorbing a lot of punches. So either a KO for Mcgregor in 3 or TKO round 7/8.

Conor will have trained a fair bit in boxing, but as others have said hall of famers have struggled against him and Manny looked silly as well. Highly unlikely Conor will win and smells like a money making scheme to me....

Craftsman
    If it is boxing...Mayweather!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The whole thing is a sad freak show and will prove nothing, reminiscent of Muhammad Ali v Antonio Inoki.

I'm surprised Mayweather's lowered himself, but he never could resist the $$$s.

Mayweather within 8, totally different diciplines. Boxers at the top of their game couldn't beat him.

Lazer guided bombs from Mayweather

Mozza

Master
    Mayweather has beaten any man or woman put in front of him ;-)

I was hoping to make a few quid out of this, but looking at the results of this poll, I doubt there will be enough mugs betting on McGregor to make anything approaching a decent market.

FM will come in under prepared and rusty CM will clip him a couple of times in the early rounds a d possibly drop him but he will get back up and drag the right on for a ' hotly debated' points win.
    Both men will be bloodied and 'humbled', gushing about their new found respect for the other..blah blah blah.
    Rematch next spring itwould imagine....

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

The only way McGregor wins this is if the clock has finally caught up with Mayweather.

Despite posts above to the contrary, it's possible this could happen - regardless of how superfit an aging fighter may look to the public, there will come a time when he loses his edge. This will show against a fighter who still has it. There's no beating time.

Mayweather, however, is no fool - there's no way he'd accept this fight if he thought he was going to be humiliated, so, in a boxing match, he's got to be the clear favourite.

If he doesn't make McGregor look foolish he's either finally lost his touch or its a fix with a rematch in the contract (In boxing???!!! Can you imagine???!!!).
    Last edited by Umbongo; 15th June 2017 at 13:13.

This fight is a joke really, I'm amazed anyone think CM has a snow ball in Hells chance of winning

If it were an MMA fight then he would win but it's a boxing match and FM is about as good as you get, he will play with him, then destroy him whenever he feels like it.

If CM was that good a Boxer he wouldn't be doing MMA

its just about the money, they are reported to get £80 mil each for the fight - that's the single reason its happening. MMA is massive money in the states so this will draw in huge PPV money. The sport will lose as its a bit of a joke a MMA vs boxing but money talks and that's all they seem to care about. £80 mil is hard to turn down.

Onto the fight, McG only chance is to catch him in the first two rounds with a big punch, he can fight and has a chance to hit mayweather, but once it goes past the second round McG will be out of energy and it will just be time for mayweather to pick him off. Should be a good first two rounds !!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    The only way McGregor wins this is if the clock has finally caught up with Mayweather.

Despite posts above to the contrary, it's possible this could happen - regardless of how superfit an aging fighter may look to the public, there will come a time when he loses his edge. This will show against a fighter who still has it. There's no beating time.

Mayweather, however, is no fool - there's no way he'd accept this fight if he thought he was going to be humiliated, so, in a boxing match, he's got to be the clear favourite.

If he doesn't make McGregor look foolish he's either finally lost his touch or its a fix with a rematch in the contract (In boxing???!!! Can you imagine???!!!).
    Agreed there comes a time when we all slow down, but Mayweather is still only 40.
    40 years old and competing against the world number two in boxing is a lot bigger ask than being 40 and fighting against a guy who has never had a professional boxing match.