closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PP Aquanaut 5167 v Breguet Marine 5187 Blue - thoughts/recommendations?

PP Aquanaut 5167 v Breguet Marine 5187 Blue - thoughts/recommendations?

So I've recently needed to sell a few watches which is no hardship since I had a few that I didn't wear regularly & they retained some value.

Things have settled a bit & I'm looking forward to the next purchase albeit towards the end of this year if things pan out.

I recently replied to a thread about a Breguet Marine explaining that I backed out of a purchase a few years ago because it seemed too cheap for a Breguet (this was pre-owned & from a reputable dealer) & too removed from who Breguet are - or more accurately, were.

So, after the thread I reexamined my thoughts & revisited the watch which I still think is very lovely in blue. £8k ish seems reasonable pre-owned for what it is but I can't work out if my initial thoughts are valid as the Marine is a Swatch attempt at making Breguet relevant rather than it being a worthwhile watch to own. Is it too brash?

This brings me onto the Aquanaut. A watch I've never appreciated until very recently but 'seems' to present the same idea as the Breguet insofar as history, sports with rubber strap and good movements. Now the PP is totally inhouse whereas the Breguet is from F. Piguet within the Swatch Group.

The question (at last). Is the Breguet good value since it covers the Aquanaut bases at a relatively cheap price or, at twice the price, is the Aquanaut the more satisfying & worth waiting a little longer for?

I had thought briefly about the F P Journe Chrono Bleu but have discounted as it will be much more difficult & pricey to service. Your thoughts or alternatives along the same line are welcome especially to those who own or have owned the watches I'm considering.

Thanks in advance - Simon
    Last edited by Strnglwhank; 14th June 2017 at 19:51.

Master
    I've tried the Marine and liked it very much, although I did find the lugs awkward. However I've never had a watch without sentimental attachment that I've loved more than the Aquanaut. It's slim case, lightweight, comfort and legibility (day or night) are unsurpassed in my experience. It's an incredible watch, and one I sorely miss. I doubt the Breguet would ever have the same effect on me.

PP 5167a. That's the one I would go for.

Ismaaeel

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I've tried the Marine and liked it very much, although I did find the lugs awkward. However I've never had a watch without sentimental attachment that I've loved more than the Aquanaut. It's slim case, lightweight, comfort and legibility (day or night) are unsurpassed in my experience. It's an incredible watch, and one I sorely miss. I doubt the Breguet would ever have the same effect on me.
    That's very helpful thank you. Overnight I've been thinking whether or not I'd be settling with the Breguet as an Aquanaut 'on the cheap' so to speak.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by speedish View Post
    PP 5167a. That's the one I would go for.

Ismaaeel
    I agree - the Rose Gold version is at odds with the watches ethos. The colour wouldn't suit me anyhow.

Master
    Interesting! I was the one who started that thread presumeably?

I did briefly consider the 5187 marine, but in white. In fact I havn't given up on it, but I just cant find one at a decent price conveniently. Retail is around £11K~? I would like to pay around £7-£8 tops tbh. I found it very well made and the rubber strap design is unique as well. Movement finished well equivalent to watches in that price range.

I have an Aquanaut 5167 coming around August. Obviously from a residual perspetive, Breguet doesnt touch Patek. The aquanaut, i can wear for a year and sell it at the price I paid for at the very minimum!! Whereas the Breguet Ill probably struggle to sell somewhat and lose abit more.

But you gotta get the one you like!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Interesting!

I have an Aquanaut 5167 coming around August. Obviously from a residual perspetive, Breguet doesnt touch Patek.

That is it. And a real challenge. 'Residuals' are the abiding theme of many threads. They seem to hang over every other consideration. But this is not investment banking, it is surely about a love of great watches. And that is very different from endlessly sticking to 'safe' bets.
    Buy for love, not money. If depreciation is high....just don't ever sell.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    That is it. And a real challenge. 'Residuals' are the abiding theme of many threads. They seem to hang over every other consideration. But this is not investment banking, it is surely about a love of great watches. And that is very different from endlessly sticking to 'safe' bets.
    Thats it. Just that once watches go past the say £6K range + then residuals become a REAL issue, at least for me. Funds are limited and new watches are released all the time, tastes change. So its "comforting" to an extent to know that if you spent £10K, in a year or 2 you get that back, whereas with other brands, not only will you lose, you may have trouble selling it. And even though Breguet's residuals have inched up, they will still be precieved as a "slow seller" at least on tzuk so will have issues selling it too.

But yeah you gotta buy for love, this isnt an investment strategy.

BUT just dunt ever sell is a tough one to follow hahaha

Craftsman
    Well the Marine is the next on my hit list and will be final watch in the 3 watch collection. So i'm going to be a bit biased here.

The thing is though, the Marine is a bit of a bargain and can be picked up with box and papers for as little as £6.5k after all of it's value has fallen out.

If you're buying new, go for the Aquanaut, just in case you want the value retention.

Craftsman
    Dear Simon,

my personal opinion, aesthetics-wise I reckon the Breguet wins, value-wise I would say the Patek though. Since you buy 2nd hand and you are probably not thinking to flip it, I would go for the Breguet Marine 5187.

In both cases I think you can't go wrong.

Evangelos

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Exellent valid point, one has to purchase them with the purpose of enjoying them. I endlessly hear watch enthusiasts saying its money in the bank if thats what one want keep it in the bank if one is going to spend ones money just enjoy it. If its a really worry just dont purchase, it its not that important only buy what one can afford that way one should not have any anxiety if you loose a few bob in the process.

Residuals aside, I think the Breguet is a real looker in blue and would make an excellent and unusual summer watch. Lovely.

Interesting! I was the one who started that thread presumeably?

I did briefly consider the 5187 marine, but in white. In fact I havn't given up on it, but I just cant find one at a decent price conveniently. Retail is around £11K~? I would like to pay around £7-£8 tops tbh. I found it very well made and the rubber strap design is unique as well. Movement finished well equivalent to watches in that price range.

I have an Aquanaut 5167 coming around August. Obviously from a residual perspetive, Breguet doesnt touch Patek. The aquanaut, i can wear for a year and sell it at the price I paid for at the very minimum!! Whereas the Breguet Ill probably struggle to sell somewhat and lose abit more.

Haha yes you were 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Evangelos View Post
    Dear Simon,

my personal opinion, aesthetics-wise I reckon the Breguet wins, value-wise I would say the Patek though. Since you buy 2nd hand and you are probably not thinking to flip it, I would go for the Breguet Marine 5187.

In both cases I think you can't go wrong.

Evangelos
    I think you're right & I would be very happy with either. The pull of having a PP even if only for a short time is quite appealing though.

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    Residuals aside, I think the Breguet is a real looker in blue and would make an excellent and unusual summer watch. Lovely.
    I do rate versatility quite highly & I think he PP has the Breguet beat for that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    I do rate versatility quite highly & I think he PP has the Breguet beat for that.
    Why is that the case? Both WR, both rubber etc.

Craftsman
    The classical style dial on the Breguet is a little harder to "dress down" I suppose. Still tight between them though.

Disadvantages of the Breguet when compared to the PP are :
    - wears much bigger due to the lug to lug size.
    - Roman numerals personally I dislike most watches with Roman numerals
    - the lume is much better on the PP and easier to read at a glance and at night/lowlight
    - WR on PP is 120m as opposed to 100m on the Breguet.
    - the strap on the PP is more comfortable than on the Breguet
    - clasp on the Breguet is quite large and will catch on things quite easily.
    - Breguet is much thicker case than the PP - you are more likely to catch it on doors etc.
    - PP works with every attire whereas the Breguet does not do casual very well due to the very classic dial and Roman numerals

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    Disadvantages of the Breguet when compared to the PP are :
    - wears much bigger due to the lug to lug size.
    - Roman numerals personally I dislike most watches with Roman numerals
    - the lume is much better on the PP and easier to read at a glance and at night/lowlight
    - WR on PP is 120m as opposed to 100m on the Breguet.
    - the strap on the PP is more comfortable than on the Breguet
    - clasp on the Breguet is quite large and will catch on things quite easily.
    - Breguet is much thicker case than the PP - you are more likely to catch it on doors etc.
    - PP works with every attire whereas the Breguet does not do casual very well due to the very classic dial and Roman numerals
    Advantages of the Breguet:

- Hand finished dial vs the rather stale dial of the Aquanaut. Its not bad, but dial work, breguet wins hands down.
    - Breguet deployant is extremely sturdy and classy.
    - Breguet rubber strap is secured by screws, which is in theory more sturdy vs spring bars.
    - Breguet can be somewhat classier which means in smarter casual, it will fit in great.
    - Power reserve is higher at 65hrs.
    - Doubt digit date is more complicated.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Breguet Marine 5187 is quality and a real looker and reasonably priced second hand but the lug to lug dimensions look huge.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a look at a breguet marine last week. It doesn't do anything for me whereas the aquanaut does. It's one of the nicest watches I've owned.
    But, it's your choice.

Craftsman
    Think a better comparison is the steel PP vs the RG Breguet. Similar price in the used market. Then it's a much easier choice...gold or steel. Or go for the best of both worlds...new 5168...blue and an aquanaut

Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    Think a better comparison is the steel PP vs the RG Breguet. Similar price in the used market. Then it's a much easier choice...gold or steel. Or go for the best of both worlds...new 5168...blue and an aquanaut
    I think I still prefer the 5167 over the 5168. In any event I would buy pre-owned so it would take quite a while for prices of those to drop to a level I could afford.

Advantages of the Breguet:

- Hand finished dial vs the rather stale dial of the Aquanaut. Its not bad, but dial work, breguet wins hands down.
    - Breguet deployant is extremely sturdy and classy.
    - Breguet rubber strap is secured by screws, which is in theory more sturdy vs spring bars.
    - Breguet can be somewhat classier which means in smarter casual, it will fit in great.
    - Power reserve is higher at 65hrs.
    - Doubt digit date is more complicated.
    ...and at half the price of the 5167 as well.

The blue dial is the only one I like which makes it less able to be worn smart smart like the one you are considering. Those lug dimensions though...

Aquanaut bought

So as you may have seen from today's Friday thread I bought the Aquanaut. It was a very intoxicating experience even if I purchased pre-owned. I know that this is the bottom rung of the ladder for a Patek but it's as high as I'm ever going to get.

I did vacillate quite a bit as I did try the blue Breguet on & I have to tell you it was quite lovely especially as it was less than half the price of the PP. I do want this watch as well & I would recommend anyone who is considering it to buy it without worry.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Simon

Master
    Blog Entries
    Congrats - very jealous!!

Master
    Very nice. I've never tried an Aquanaut on, but the strap looks very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Congrats - very jealous!!
    😇

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Very nice. I've never tried an Aquanaut on, but the strap looks very comfortable.
    It really is - better still it was already the perfect size for me so clearly it was meant to be 😉

Master
    'Tis a thing of beauty!

Good to see you're happy with your choice!!! Perhaps you can add a Marine in a different dial colour along the road? I feel they are different enough to be owned alongside each other

Quote Originally Posted by drury View Post
    Good to see you're happy with your choice!!! Perhaps you can add a Marine in a different dial colour along the road? I feel they are different enough to be owned alongside each other
    Thanks - its tough to decide whether I prefer the 'plain' dial with the blue hands and roman numerals or the blue dial which really pops. I'm wondering whether the blue dial would be too like my Bond Seamaster?!

Master
    I know of a brand new Aquanaut if anybody wants one. It's on a bracelet but brand new from a UK dealer

Master
    So as you may have seen from today's Friday thread I bought the Aquanaut. It was a very intoxicating experience even if I purchased pre-owned. I know that this is the bottom rung of the ladder for a Patek but it's as high as I'm ever going to get.

I did vacillate quite a bit as I did try the blue Breguet on & I have to tell you it was quite lovely especially as it was less than half the price of the PP. I do want this watch as well & I would recommend anyone who is considering it to buy it without worry.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Simon
    Congrats! I was going to say the new BP Milspec at 40mm is worthy of consideration altho limited release.

Photos are back

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries

Photos are back

Looking great

PS - what size wrist? 7"?

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Looking great

PS - what size wrist? 7"?
    Yes bud - had to cut out a link as it was a bit too loose. Luckily for me although the strap had been altered by the previous owner he clearly had bigger wrists than me.

Craftsman
    Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    Congrats!
    Cheers