closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-12 Service Suggestions?

Journeyman

PRS-12 Service Suggestions?

After searching for 3 years, I've finally acquired a PRS-12. The watch is now ~14 years old and while in good physical shape and seems to be accurate in timekeeping, the crown action in manual winding and the detents are kludgy and it has no known service history. I'm located in the western US (Northern California) and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good service center for the 7750 movement. I'd prefer to meet the watchmaker in person but I'm fine with shipping it if it's a strongly recommended watchmaker.

Thanks in advance,

Aron

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by asmetana View Post
    After searching for 3 years, I've finally acquired a PRS-12. The watch is now ~14 years old and while in good physical shape and seems to be accurate in timekeeping, the crown action in manual winding and the detents are kludgy and it has no known service history. I'm located in the western US (Northern California) and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good service center for the 7750 movement. I'd prefer to meet the watchmaker in person but I'm fine with shipping it if it's a strongly recommended watchmaker.

Thanks in advance,

Aron
    Aron,

Here's a suggestion,

ABC WatchWerks in Los Angeles is the spot to go to on the west coast. They have a huge following and are well respected in regards to servicing but that could be a problem as well, turn around time has increased as well as the price for servicing. While you may not be able to meet them in person unless you go to LA but at least they are in the same timezone. I suggest you google their name for reviews of there service abilities. Servicing your 7750 movement would be a breeze for them.

http://www.abcwatchwerks.com/index.html

EDIT: Just reading now that ABC watchwerks had a split (not a bad one) and several of the good guys have started up "Los Angeles Watchworks" in Pasadena. Both are still getting rave reviews so you now have two to choose from. Members in the Rolex forums speak very highly of them. I have had my watches (IWC, Omega, Heuer chrono, Doxa) completely restored and serviced by ABC with great results. Firstly, I would strongly recommend googling what has been written about them prior to sending your watch out.

http://www.lawatchworks.com
    Last edited by Devoti; 9th July 2017 at 21:49.

Craftsman

Thanks in advance,

Aron
    Hi Aron,

I also have a PRS-12 and had it serviced last year in the UK by Brendan Hoey. Webwatchmaker.com , he did a first class job replacing the winding crown. I have images of his work if interested. Of course it would mean shipping to the UK and you would need to check with Brendan to see if he can ship internationally.

Cheers

Andy

Journeyman

Thanks in advance,

Aron
    All, thanks for your suggestions. I ended up finding a place in Richmond, CA, Frank's Watch Repair, a rather nondescript place but I interviewed the owner, Serg (he bought the shop from Frank) whom I interviewed a little over the phone and then went to his shop and looked over some of his projects. Apparently a lot of the watch repair places in the San Francisco area will go to him with stuff they can't fix. He showed me some of his fabricated parts for wrist watches and clocks. I decided to give him a go after he showed me his collection of repair manuals for the 7750 movement and described his process. It took about 3 weeks but I got the watch back, super clean, movement is the original undecorated 7750 but looks better, has great amplitude, is nearly spot on with time-keeping, and he restored the case with the fine brushed appearance. Granted, it only had a couple of scuffs in the bezel and case but it looks fantastic. When it comes time for the next watch service, I'll probably chat with the west coast suggestions, but for now, I'm very pleased with Frank's Watch Repair.

Thanks again for the suggestions. It was funny how the old-school guys in San Francisco who have been doing it for 40+ years are shying away from overhauls of industry standard movements. Some say they don't make enough money compared to replacing crystals, batteries, gaskets, etc., others say parts are too hard to come by, and some other reasons.

Apprentice
    All, thanks for your suggestions. I ended up finding a place in Richmond, CA, Frank's Watch Repair, a rather nondescript place but I interviewed the owner, Serg (he bought the shop from Frank) whom I interviewed a little over the phone and then went to his shop and looked over some of his projects. Apparently a lot of the watch repair places in the San Francisco area will go to him with stuff they can't fix. He showed me some of his fabricated parts for wrist watches and clocks. I decided to give him a go after he showed me his collection of repair manuals for the 7750 movement and described his process. It took about 3 weeks but I got the watch back, super clean, movement is the original undecorated 7750 but looks better, has great amplitude, is nearly spot on with time-keeping, and he restored the case with the fine brushed appearance. Granted, it only had a couple of scuffs in the bezel and case but it looks fantastic. When it comes time for the next watch service, I'll probably chat with the west coast suggestions, but for now, I'm very pleased with Frank's Watch Repair.

Thanks again for the suggestions. It was funny how the old-school guys in San Francisco who have been doing it for 40+ years are shying away from overhauls of industry standard movements. Some say they don't make enough money compared to replacing crystals, batteries, gaskets, etc., others say parts are too hard to come by, and some other reasons.

That's great news you were able to find a good local watch repairman. It's much better supporting your small local business than shipping your watch & money off to one of the big firms. Glad to hear your happy.