closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Good Budget 8" Tablet recommendations

Craftsman

Good Budget 8" Tablet recommendations

Would appreciate any advice on the above. Prefer a none apple product. Camera not important. £100-£140 maximum spend.
    Many thanks.

We bought a new spec Lenovo a couple of years ago and it has never ben updated to a newer version of Android. So my slightly off topic advice is whatever you get, make sure that the manufacturer has a decent record on software updates. Reviews are all very well but they are made when the thing is new and up to date. For that reason alone i'd avoid Lenovo.

The new Amazon Fire 8" has just been launched for £80 with Alexa: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    We bought a new spec Lenovo a couple of years ago and it has never ben updated to a newer version of Android. So my slightly off topic advice is whatever you get, make sure that the manufacturer has a decent record on software updates. Reviews are all very well but they are made when the thing is new and up to date. For that reason alone i'd avoid Lenovo.

That's a very good point, software updates I suppose are very important.
    Thank you for your response.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    The new Amazon Fire 8" has just been launched for £80 with Alexa: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
    I've been looking at the Amazon fire, and they are on my maybe list. If you are an Amazon Prime member (which I am) then it all ties in with their system.
    The pixel per inch count might be an issues, having said that your not going to get an ipad screen for £80! Must say they look like value for money for my intended usage.
    Web surfing and dare I say FB.

Thank you.

^ I've got an older HDX Fire (no idea how many pixels it has) and it's great for browsing, watching films through Amazon and reading books. If you've got Prime membership you've got a month to try it out too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    ^ I've got an older HDX Fire (no idea how many pixels it has) and it's great for browsing, watching films through Amazon and reading books. If you've got Prime membership you've got a month to try it out too.
    Thanks, I am going to check the Fire out.

Journeyman
    We bought the kids the 8" fires (the new model I believe). All in all impressive for the money. Don't pay the extra for increased memory as you can stick a micro SD card in them.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombus View Post
    We bought the kids the 8" fires (the new model I believe). All in all impressive for the money. Don't pay the extra for increased memory as you can stick a micro SD card in them.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks for the information. The 2017 model fire has had some good reviews, and for the money £79 is not expensive.

Craftsman
    A used Nvidia tablet would be a good bet.

No longer made but specs still good and recently updated to the very latest Android version

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    The NVIDIA suggestion is an excellent one if you are okay with going second-hand (although they may still bring them back in stock, they did so in the recent past).
    Absolutely stunning for the money, incredible VFM. Used to own one, and was extremely happy with the fact that not only it got the latest updates, but it ran an almost stock version of Android. The only issue I had was with battery, which was not great compared with my iPad mini, but otherwise absolutely no complaints. Fire tablets are okay, but the low resolution would certainly annoy me

Master
    Having got a Nexus years ago and being very happy with it I recently purchased a Zenpad (as far as I can tell this is the modern equivalent). I got the 7" version and I can't fault it. It'll even cope with SWMBO dropping it onto a concrete path :-( I use it as a media player for the car and it's very, very good. Rock stable and excellent display.

The 8" version seems to be around £120.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandr0s View Post
    The NVIDIA suggestion is an excellent one if you are okay with going second-hand (although they may still bring them back in stock, they did so in the recent past).
    Absolutely stunning for the money, incredible VFM. Used to own one, and was extremely happy with the fact that not only it got the latest updates, but it ran an almost stock version of Android. The only issue I had was with battery, which was not great compared with my iPad mini, but otherwise absolutely no complaints. Fire tablets are okay, but the low resolution would certainly annoy me
    I looked at the Nvidia very good spec, but not available new at the moment. I understand the low res screen of the Fire, it's a compromise I may have to make? along with the adverts that are part of the setup! You are buying into the whole Amazon thing with the Fire.....
    Many thanks for your input.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Having got a Nexus years ago and being very happy with it I recently purchased a Zenpad (as far as I can tell this is the modern equivalent). I got the 7" version and I can't fault it. It'll even cope with SWMBO dropping it onto a concrete path :-( I use it as a media player for the car and it's very, very good. Rock stable and excellent display.

The 8" version seems to be around £120.
    I guess with so many tablets around at that price point it's hard to get the right one that meets your needs.
    Many thanks for your response.