closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New GS Snowflakes

New GS Snowflakes

Haven't seen the gold accented Snowflake (SBGA259) mentioned on TZ - anyone prefer it to the usual version (SBGA211)? Personally think the steel/blue hands/batons probably work better against the dial.

Doesn't seem widely available and may be a limited edition/Japan only (as IIRC a similar version of the 'old' Snowflake was).
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 11th June 2017 at 01:54.

Master
    I can't see your pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    I can't see your pictures.
    Thanks, think their ok now.

For me the gold just doesn't go, may of course look better in the metal but if it was my money it would be on the regular version.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    For me the gold just doesn't go, may of course look better in the metal but if it was my money it would be on the regular version.
    Agreed.

The gold doesn't look quite right, but Seiko pics are notoriously bad.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Thanks, think their ok now.
    Yep. I like the YG version, but I'd like it more on a nice honey brown strap. The original looks like a more cohesive design though.

Master
    I feel the colour combination of the original gives a more cold feeling portraying the snow theme of the dial. Especially the blued seconds hand. Generally watches combining gold and silver colour combinations don't work for me. Just my personal taste. Of course, as mentioned, it may look more appealing in real life. Thanks for the heads up.

The gold looks awful.

Still prefer the original. The blued steel seconds hand on that snowflake dial is a classic.

Craftsman
    I prefer the look of the original.
    As a side issue Seiko UK indicate their new London boutique will have some "exclusive" GS models including some with lume.
    When their shop opens it might be worth a day trip to London.

Craftsman
    The silver looks much better that the gold.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    No to the gold and I'm still getting used to the new logo. It leaves a lot of space to the dial that's for sure and I wasn't expecting my reaction which is ambivalent at the mo.

Master

Black dial maybe?

My favourite 6694 has a black face and gold hands and markers so I wonder what the GS with gold hands would look like with a black face?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by subchris View Post
    My favourite 6694 has a black face and gold hands and markers so I wonder what the GS with gold hands would look like with a black face?

Chris
    Whilst not a Snowflake there is a quartz on my radar at some point. Titanium case and bracelet, black textured face with gold hands/indices.

Borrowed image of The SBGX069

I prefer the old one. OK, I would say that because I've got one.... but I do like it as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I prefer the old one. OK, I would say that because I've got one.... but I do like it as it was.

I agree, this version looks best. What is the model number please?

Craftsman
    The gold definitely dosn't work for me. Yellow in the snow rarely looks good! I also prefer the original snowflake - and I don't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I agree, this version looks best. What is the model number please?
    Hi Andrew,... it's SBGA011

The old one is stunning. Definitely on my want list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    As a bit of a Grand Seiko fan, might I put in a plea for a wider consideration of the model range. The snowflake is excellent, but so are many less publicised models. Over a period, the snowflake, while lovely, can seem a bit bland (heresy). I chose a more complex dial version (119) and never regretted it.
    For me, the weakness in the spring-drive designs is that power indicator. The spring drives recharge with very little movement. The power indicator breaks up the dial and is unnecessary. Still a big fan. Just bought a fine manual wind....035...from a TZ enthusiast.
    I think Grand Seiko is about to push itself into wider public awareness. Has to be good.

I don't mind the power reserve indicator on the Spring Drives and think it's purely subjective. I find it useful as my GS runs down when it's off my wrist over the weekend and I'm not as physically mobile as most people. The power reserve looks more subtle on the dark dialled models and where the scale is printed on the dial surface and not recessed; here's my SBGE027:

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by topcat666 View Post
    As a side issue Seiko UK indicate their new London boutique will have some "exclusive" GS models including some with lume.
    YOu mean there will be a limited edition London GS model? I would be very interested!!

Master
    I'll reserve judgement until I see it. The power reserve always looks much more prominent in photos, and while the new dials feel a bit unbalanced, things can look very different when they're not shown to scale. Download the photo and shrink it down to 40mm and the impression changes.

The (now discontinued) 40mm IWC Ingenieur looked good with gold hands and a white dial, it was arguably the best looking version, so I wonder if the GS might feel similar. Though yes, on the basis of this photograph it's not obviously a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by topcat666 View Post
    Where did you hear that? Nothing online that I can find, even to say when the shop opens.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I'll reserve judgement until I see it. The power reserve always looks much more prominent in photos, and while the new dials feel a bit unbalanced, things can look very different when they're not shown to scale. Download the photo and shrink it down to 40mm and the impression changes.

The (now discontinued) 40mm IWC Ingenieur looked good with gold hands and a white dial, it was arguably the best looking version, so I wonder if the GS might feel similar. Though yes, on the basis of this photograph it's not obviously a good idea!

Where did you hear that? Nothing online that I can find, even to say when the shop opens.
    I'd like to know when the shop opens as well, would be well worth a visit!

Master

Like that!!

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Whilst not a Snowflake there is a quartz on my radar at some point. Titanium case and bracelet, black textured face with gold hands/indices.

Borrowed image of The SBGX069
    Now that black dial and gold markers I like a lot!!!!

Chris

The Snowflake is such a beautiful thing but I feel it sits in a bit of a no-man's land for me between a sports watch and a dress watch.

The gold one's definitely not for me but I'm sure it will have a healthy market.

I just saw the new Snowflakes at Narita airport this afternoon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    The gold actually looks a lot better in person I must say.

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    The gold actually looks a lot better in person I must say.
    indeed

SBGA259 620,000 Yen = about £4,500

Buy it here in the UK £5,750
    That's including VAT - plus a bit for luck!

Master

That seems fair. Add vat/duty/import costs and you are up around £5,500, not considering currency fluctuations. A 10% discount is usually easy too. With the delights of Brexit, the currency will get weaker and weaker' so we will pay more and more. Great stuff.

And that's in the airport just after release at RRP I think. Street prices in Tokyo when these filter through will be considerably less.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    The Snowflake is such a beautiful thing but I feel it sits in a bit of a no-man's land for me between a sports watch and a dress watch.

The gold one's definitely not for me but I'm sure it will have a healthy market.
    I agree. It's squarely in the "big dressy sporty watch" category with the DJ41, Skydweller, bigger Aqua Terras, etc. People seem to like them, but I'd like all of them a lot more if they were 36 or 37mm instead of 40-42mm. I'd probably own a spring drive if they fit them into the smaller quartz case.

Master
    I just with the GS were "thinner" too!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I just with the GS were "thinner" too!!
    That would be nice. The hand wound and quartz models aren't too bad. The autos are beefy though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    I agree. It's squarely in the "big dressy sporty watch" category with the DJ41, Skydweller, bigger Aqua Terras, etc. People seem to like them, but I'd like all of them a lot more if they were 36 or 37mm instead of 40-42mm. I'd probably own a spring drive if they fit them into the smaller quartz case.
    Your description is puzzling to me, and I own one. They are a quite small, light, watch. In fact, smaller than many modern watches. Strikingly slighter ,for instance, than a Daytona. 39mm,I recall, and. wearing like 38mm. Very light too, because made of titanium.
    The 40mm autos, such as the steel GMTs, are a lot chunkier than the snowflake. I am wearing a GMT now, and it makes my Snowflake seem petite.
    Last edited by paskinner; 14th June 2017 at 17:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Your description is puzzling to me, and I own one. They are a quite small, light, watch. In fact, smaller than many modern watches. Strikingly slighter ,for instance, than a Daytona. 39mm,I recall, and. wearing like 38mm. Very light too, because made of titanium.
    The 40mm autos, such as the steel GMTs, are a lot chunkier than the snowflake. I am wearing a GMT now, and it makes my Snowflake seem petite.
    Weight =/= size. The snowflake is 41mm by 12.5mm. It's also 49mm lug to lug. Larger in all dimensions than a ref 16710 GMT2. It's a nice looking watch, and if I had a large wrist, I'd own one. However, it's a dressy looking watch that's as large as a sports watch from yesteryear. Plus it has a high dial/bezel ratio which makes it look visually larger. This is an approximately 7 inch wrist:

It's not Omega chunky, but it's larger than one would traditionally expect a DJ style watch to be. Hence my comment.

Clearly that's a popular size, with the similarly sized revised Datejust coming out recently. It's just not for me.

Journeyman
    Oh god no. I don't like the YG at all. Perhaps on a black dial or like someone else suggested with a honey brown leather strap. But I'd always go with the original.

There's a pretty decent review on it here if anyone is interested in pre-ordering.
    https://www.horologii.com/watch-bran...-watch-review/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post

Going to have a look at these when the new shop opens on London.

Craftsman
    Not my style but I like both.

Apprentice

Gold flake

The gold one might look a lot better on a leather strap.

From the photo I'd probably stick to an sbga011 but might feel differently once I've seen in the metal. And it should mean 011s slip a little in value- there seem to be quite a few for sale online

A big fan of 44GS case while I have the GMT I am yearning for SBGA103

PNM

Big fan of the Snowflake dials , they are gorgeous .

Apprentice

Dials

Problem with the silver dials like the sbga103 is they look much better in the metal than in a photo, while white dials photograph well. And since it's so difficult to track down GS in stores the silver dials can get overlooked when they might actually work a lot better as a watch to be worn.

Master
    I love the look of the new 8 day power reserve The black dial is stunning looking to my eyes.

BUT at $42,000 a pop they are a bit pricey

Master
    Have you seen the price?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I love the look of the new 8 day power reserve The black dial is stunning looking to my eyes.

BUT at $42,000 a pop they are a bit pricey
    I haven't seen that before - it's stunning. I thought I'd settled on the already released 8 day and now I want both. Nice touch no reserve indicator; 8 days - why would you need one?

Craftsman
    One more vote for the 211 over the 259.

The gold is a little too outstanding to me, taking the focus away from the dial.