closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Walker Blue label?

Johnny Walker Blue label?

Toying with the idea of trying a bottle of JW blue label.
    It seems to get pretty good reviews. Would you recommend it?

On special offer at Costco at the moment I seem to recall....£100 @ bottle?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    On special offer at Costco at the moment I seem to recall....£100 @ bottle?
    yes its £85 plus vat this month

They also do free samples of it

I did see it in Costco - I think it was £120 per bottle, but I'll stand corrected.

My good wife (an angry Scot), who is the first to admit that she is not a whisky drinker holds Jonnie Blue as her favourite whisky. As such there is some in my booze cabinet. It is leaps and bounds smoother than double black (I keep their gold reserve in the decanter for the odd hot toddy and for cooking and blue it is a league nicer than that also).

It is not at all challenging to drink, just very balanced.

I have a mate who turns his nose up as "it's just a blend, I only drink single malt...". But you often get those types.

Quote Originally Posted by jimyu View Post
    yes its £85 plus vat this month

They also do free samples of it
    That's a cracking price...

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    have you tried it a few times? If you pass through the Concorde Room at Heathrow T5 it's on offer in plentiful quantities to try! Although unless you already have a flight it probably adds to the cost somewhat..

My palate isn't educated enough to tell the difference. £16 a litre for Bells, Haig and Grouse at Morrisons at the moment and that's good enough for me. If I want something to sip and savour, Glenmorangie or Bain's Cape Mountain hits the spot.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Well seems the good whiskey can detected with an artificial tongue, not sure what good it is in all honesty but thought it was interesting at least.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/09/...-fake-whiskey/

Grand Master
    Id spend the extra £50 and get Bushmills 21 Year or King Alexander III personally
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    My palate isn't educated enough to tell the difference. £16 a litre for Bells, Haig and Grouse at Morrisons at the moment and that's good enough for me. If I want something to sip and savour, Glenmorangie or Bain's Cape Mountain hits the spot.

Eddie
    I know what you mean. Have you ever tried Monkey Shoulder?
    I bought a bottle for £22 on offer and it's very easy to drink.
    Anyone else a fan?

Blue Label is very nice. I'm not sure I'd say its worth the price though.

Go for a Monkey Shoulder, or Jura's Durach's Own, hell of a whiskey. It will take a bit of effort to find what you really like, but there are some very good whiskeys you can get for under £35 a bottle.

Craftsman
    Isle of Skye, far better blend than Monkey Shoulder and cheaper.

There is better for that money. Did a blind tasting on the full JW range last year .... the Blue was not my top ranked. To be fair none of them really impressed me, I think at 40% it is underbaked also.

Try the Glenmorangie Signet which is often on offer in the airport if you want something very drinkable but a little different. The product of the Glenmorangies master blenders on and off project to develop a whisky with chocolate undertones.

Old Puteney 21 (there are still some about) , Glenfarclas 17, Glendronach 18 , Bunnahabain 18 .... the list goes on at price point below the blue lablel

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I AM LATE! View Post
    There is better for that money. Did a blind tasting on the full JW range last year .... the Blue was not my top ranked. To be fair none of them really impressed me, I think at 40% it is underbaked also.

Try the Glenmorangie Signet which is often on offer in the airport if you want something very drinkable but a little different. The product of the Glenmorangies master blenders on and off project to develop a whisky with chocolate undertones.

Old Puteney 21 (there are still some about) , Glenfarclas 17, Glendronach 18 , Bunnahabain 18 .... the list goes on at price point below the blue lablel
    Mmmhhhh... my favourite

I temember buying 5 bottles at half price as Tescos cleared the shelf of them... that was a goo day

Quote Originally Posted by I AM LATE! View Post

This for me for that price range for a nice drinkable blend. Absolutely lovely the Signet

Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    I have a mate who turns his nose up as "it's just a blend, I only drink single malt...". But you often get those types.
    I adore whisky, but I'm no expert. "A drinker rather than a thinker" if you will...

My question to the the 'blend' detractors would be, "A blend of what?".. Single malts?

Single malts that, in themselves, aren't distinctive or characterful enough to deserve their own bottling perhaps?

I dunno. I'm guessing, but I always had it my head that the point of a blended whisky was consistency. From one year to the next, a bottle of Grouse tastes the same (bloody good), and there are some very experienced guys who get paid good money to ensure that's the case. Like tea blending, or a Big Mac for that matter. Exactly the same... every time... every year.

In my mind, the appeal of a single malt is that each years bottling is distinctive. I've no doubt however that Glenfiddich et al go to great lengths to ensure consistency, but they're working with a limited palette, purposely, to acheive a house style.

If you take that to its logical conclusion, the ultimate whisky 'ought' to be a blend (and Blue Label might be it), balancing this, that, the other and the 'do you mind if I don't's'.... but... the beauty of a single malt is its uniqueness, the subtlety of change over time... like good wine? It might not be as good... as rounded.. or complete...

But.. it's rare.

In summary, and having enjoyed several drams of my personal favourite, Lagavulin 16, this evening, I can say with a degree of certainty, that I don't know what I'm talking about. But I'm pretty sure many of those who profess that they do, don't.

HAGWE

Gary

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Toying with the idea of trying a bottle of JW blue label.
    It seems to get pretty good reviews. Would you recommend it?
    Johnnie Walker Green Label just won a very prestgious award, the 2017 World Whiskies Awards, not Blue, and I tend to agree with the assessment. I was so happy to see it back on the shelves at my local spot after such a long absence. Smooth and fragrant, with a rich mouth feel and a long soft finish, good whisky. Blue is just not worth the $$ to me.

Quote Originally Posted by galewis View Post
    I adore whisky, but I'm no expert. "A drinker rather than a thinker" if you will...

My question to the the 'blend' detractors would be, "A blend of what?".. Single malts?

Single malts that, in themselves, aren't distinctive or characterful enough to deserve their own bottling perhaps?

I dunno. I'm guessing, but I always had it my head that the point of a blended whisky was consistency. From one year to the next, a bottle of Grouse tastes the same (bloody good), and there are some very experienced guys who get paid good money to ensure that's the case. Like tea blending, or a Big Mac for that matter. Exactly the same... every time... every year.

In my mind, the appeal of a single malt is that each years bottling is distinctive. I've no doubt however that Glenfiddich et al go to great lengths to ensure consistency, but they're working with a limited palette, purposely, to acheive a house style.

If you take that to its logical conclusion, the ultimate whisky 'ought' to be a blend (and Blue Label might be it), balancing this, that, the other and the 'do you mind if I don't's'.... but... the beauty of a single malt is its uniqueness, the subtlety of change over time... like good wine? It might not be as good... as rounded.. or complete...

But.. it's rare.

In summary, and having enjoyed several drams of my personal favourite, Lagavulin 16, this evening, I can say with a degree of certainty, that I don't know what I'm talking about. But I'm pretty sure many of those who profess that they do, don't.

HAGWE

Gary
    Whilst there are blended Malts, generally "blended" means malt whisky blended with cheaper grain whiskies.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I personally won't buy anything owned by Diageo; support an independent distillery instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
    Isle of Skye, far better blend than Monkey Shoulder and cheaper.
    Another one for Isle of skye here
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Love the Islay malts but only a small sip and I am up all night with wind and bile, can drink anything else and I'm okay bar whisky

Craftsman
    There are some great Indian and Japanese malts out there and of course you have Penderyn.

I'm very fortunate to have contacts who work for diageo who can get me decent bottles of whisky at a more reasonable price. I've tried most of the JW labels including the blue, green, gold etc etc .

Although the Blue is nice, I actually prefer the Gold blend myself and given the price, I'd skip on the Blue, unless you get an opportunity to taste and like it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I know what you mean. Have you ever tried Monkey Shoulder?
    I bought a bottle for £22 on offer and it's very easy to drink.
    Anyone else a fan?
    I've been a fan of Monkey Shlulder for a while and I agree, it's an "easy" drink. Blue Label for me was underwhelming. The mystique that surrounded it made me imagine it would be like nectar from the gods but in reality it was just another blended whisky.

For reference, my current favourites are Hibiiki and Yamazaki from Japan and Balvennie from my home country.

I have tried JW blue and it's decent.

But the real sweet spot in JW lineup is their Green Label.

That is a fantastic whisky.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post

Absolutely agree. For £100 a bottle I would have Bly go for a single malt. Glenmorangie 18, Glengoyne 21, Balvenie 17 are three of my favourites around that price range

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post

Absolutely this. It was hard to get a hold of for a spell a year or so back, but now is generally widely available again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    Don't forget Ballantine! It is my go to whisky to get tipsy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I've been a fan of Monkey Shlulder for a while and I agree, it's an "easy" drink. Blue Label for me was underwhelming. The mystique that surrounded it made me imagine it would be like nectar from the gods but in reality it was just another blended whisky.

For reference, my current favourites are Hibiiki and Yamazaki from Japan and Balvennie from my home country.
    I like Monkey Shoulder (drinking Glenfiddich 12 yr old right now!) MS is really smooth. Japanese whiskies are now really good. My experience is with the usual supermarket ones -- Yamazaki, Hakushu and Hibiki. My favourite is Hibiki, quite dear. The other 2 are available as 700cl bottles but Hibiki is only available as 500ml. Also tried Amrut, nice! I'm Indian, I was quite surprised that it was better than my expectation. My personal favourite is Lagavulin Distiller's Edition.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    I personally won't buy anything owned by Diageo; support an independent distillery instead.
    Educate me kind sir. It is a bit like Swatch and Richemont in watches. Tell me about independent distillers.

Craftsman
    Why go for an overpriced blended scotch when there is much more on the market

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    I like Monkey Shoulder (drinking Glenfiddich 12 yr old right now!) MS is really smooth. Japanese whiskies are now really good. My experience is with the usual supermarket ones -- Yamazaki, Hakushu and Hibiki. My favourite is Hibiki, quite dear. The other 2 are available as 700cl bottles but Hibiki is only available as 500ml. Also tried Amrut, nice! I'm Indian, I was quite surprised that it was better than my expectation. My personal favourite is Lagavulin Distiller's Edition.

I prefer Yamasaki and the peated Amrut malts. Whisky exchange is a good place to shop for some varied malts from around the world. Apparently malts from Canada are also good, but I've not tried them, yet.
    Last edited by Andrew S; 11th June 2017 at 09:44.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
    I prefer Yamasaki and the peated Amrut malts. Whisky exchange is a good place to shop for some varied malts from around the world. Apparently malts from Canada are also good, but I've not tried them, yet.
    That's a thought, will need to have a browse!

Master
    I've had a few 750ml Hibikis. There's also a limited edition kicking around just now with a nice bottle.

Craftsman

Cool

I prefer green label out of all the JW labels. When drinking blended this or Chivas Regal is my preference. Macallan for single malt.

Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    Johnnie Walker Green Label just won a very prestgious award, the 2017 World Whiskies Awards, not Blue, and I tend to agree with the assessment. I was so happy to see it back on the shelves at my local spot after such a long absence. Smooth and fragrant, with a rich mouth feel and a long soft finish, good whisky. Blue is just not worth the $$ to me.

Master
    Tried it once and like most Scotch I wasn't impressed, particularly when I found out what it cost. I much preferred the Glenmorangie that I also tried but in truth my taste is very much over the water and my poison of choice is JKamesons.

Rob

Master
    It's inevitably a nice whisky, and I've had it a few times, but it's a lot of money for what it is.

A Lagavulin 16 works for me, or a Laphroaig of course.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I've had a few 750ml Hibikis. There's also a limited edition kicking around just now with a nice bottle.
    Where did you get them from??? Last seen in Tesco (500 ml) last year Xmas time. Never seen them in Sainsbury (atleast not he ones I frequent)

Master
    The last 750ml bottle I got was from duty free at T5.

Master
    Another fan of Monkey Shoulder here - it's a good counter-top whisky to save the better stuff in the cupboard.

I can't remember the last time I drank Blue Label, but I can remember the first. And it's this that I find puzzling. Either it no longer surprises and delights, or the blend itself has changed beyond recognition. I'd wager that it's the latter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by teadazed View Post
    Another fan of Monkey Shoulder here - it's a good counter-top whisky to save the better stuff in the cupboard.
    My go to whisky is Ballantine or Chivas. Don't know why never liked Johnnie Walker series!

Craftsman
    Can't beat a Laphroaig!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post
    Can't beat a Laphroaig!

Hear Hear! The Quarter Cask perhaps?

Craftsman
    Hear Hear! The Quarter Cask perhaps?
    Cask Strength is my go to!

Master
    Lagavulin for me , but I'll happily chug down most Islay malts.

Blend I tend to go for Jameson's. Other blends are cocktail fodder regardless of price and supposed quality... in my humble opinion.

I recently picked up a bottle of JW Island Green at the JW shop at Schiphol and it's really nice. Highly recommended. I don't normally do blends except when I'm in the pub.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post
    Cask Strength is my go to!

Both are excellent, I always have a bottle of Quarter Cask in the house...

I currently have a bottle of Laphroaig Lore which is exceptional.

For the blends... I've tried the Blue Johnny Walker, nice flavour and very very smooth but not exceptional and not worth the money.

Whisky from elsewhere... the Swedish Mackmyra distillery make some very good whisky, I have the Vinterdröm which spends some time in a rum cask, delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by James_Poole View Post
    I currently have a bottle of Laphroaig Lore which is exceptional.

For the blends...
    Lore is a blend (allegedly from various casks of 7-21yo whisky).

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Lore is a blend (allegedly from various casks of 7-21yo whisky).
    Haha... good point... it certainly is! Made from a blend of single malts, lots of these around.