closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cut Throat Razor

Cut Throat Razor

Can anyone recommend one? I'm bearded and like to trim around the edges. Just can't get the precision with a mach3 or disposable.

Mozza

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I used a German razor called a Solingen (I think) in the 60's, sharpened with a leather strop etc.

Master
    I use a Thiers Issard and it does the job very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    I use a Thiers Issard and it does the job very nicely.
    ooooh pricey though, quality generally is.

Mozza

Feather make disposable blades that fit in cut-throat style razors if you like the shape of a straight razor but don't want any hassle. Their holders are generally expensive, but I think the blades fit in cheaper shavette holders.

Master
    Mach3 and similar are next to useless for precise trimming but you will get brilliant results with a DE razor. It is safer and cheaper than a cut throat.

Search for a shavette, these are what modern barbers use for trimming and shaving. They use a disposable double edged (halfed)or single edge blade. No need for stopping or sharpening and cheap as chips.

I am selling my collection of vintage and modern straight razors on two well known Shaving forums, I know a few guys here are also collectors and members on those groups.

They are a bit pricier than "starter" razors but all well known and reliable brands

Drop me a PM if you would like some pictures

Master

Cut Throat Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    Can anyone recommend one? I'm bearded and like to trim around the edges. Just can't get the precision with a mach3 or disposable.

Mozza

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I use a company called 'Cornerstone' who do mail order razors, they are mach3 in type but have a separate single blade built in for beard trimming.
    If you sign up using the link/code below they credit your and my account with £10 which you can use on your first order so you get 6 blades and a chrome handle delivered for just £4!

https://www.cornerstone.co.uk/7dar0851

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Tempted by all the interest I thought I'll give it a go as well! I thought I'll start simple, practice with one of these, https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/...ategory_ID/278
    If it takes my fancy will buy a proper straight edge razor. How difficult is it to get a really good edge? How frequently does one need to sharpen/strop the blade. I f it is too much faff I don't think I'll do it.
    Can I use the same technique for my kitchen knives?
    Last edited by 72bpm; 10th June 2017 at 11:21.

Craftsman
    Have a look at the Badger and Blade forum for all things shaving 

I started DE shaving 5-6 years ago and never looked back. So much better than cartridges and also than my electric razor. I did initially think about getting the straight razor, but the results from the DE blades are so good (and inexpensive) that I never changed. The straights do take work keeping them stropped etc.

Good luck 

I shaved with a cut throat for several years. Getting a fine edge is not that easy, even with previous sharpening skills, and requires additional investment in stones and a strop.

I switched to a double edge a couple of years ago.

A disposable blade cut throat would be an ideal solution for accurate trimming.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post
    I am selling my collection of vintage and modern straight razors on two well known Shaving forums, I know a few guys here are also collectors and members on those groups.

They are a bit pricier than "starter" razors but all well known and reliable brands

Drop me a PM if you would like some pictures
    You don't have any Mastro Livi's by any chance?

I had 4 and stupidly sold them years ago, including a Takeda Damascus one which you can't buy any more. :(

Go for a Shavette that uses easily replaceable blades. A traditional straight razor needs to be stropped before each use and will eventually need to be honed which is a skilled job. Way too much trouble for what you are wanting.

Straights are like watches in that there are many to try and aren't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire View Post
    You don't have any Mastro Livi's by any chance?

I had 4 and stupidly sold them years ago, including a Takeda Damascus one which you can't buy any more. :(
    I do, but not selling customs at the moment unless it was a stupid offer. Mine is stainless Damascus and absolutely stunning, visually and performance wise

Are the shavette blades comparable in price in relation to the DE blades ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Are the shavette blades comparable in price in relation to the DE blades ?
    You have to snap a normal DE blade in half for use in a shavetts, although you can buy blades in half and ready to use, can't remember how much but I'm sure they were reasonably priced if I bought them!

Master
    dizz.
    How much use do you get from one of those Cornerstone blades? Are they really so much better than the likes of Wilkinson Sword and Gillette blades?

Master

Cut Throat Razor

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    dizz.
    How much use do you get from one of those Cornerstone blades? Are they really so much better than the likes of Wilkinson Sword and Gillette blades?
    I don't know as I don't keep count, I wouldn't say they are better than the main brands but with the link I posted they are so cheap why not give them a try.

https://www.cornerstone.co.uk/7dar0851

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post
    I don't know as I don't keep count, I wouldn't say they are better than the main brands but with the link I posted they are so cheap why not give them a try.
    Sure, I might give them a try. Thanks for the link you posted earlier.

Master

First ever shavette use

I survived! Didn't need a transfusion or stitches! Blade used SuperMax Platinum (Indian brand). Left the chin and tash area to my trusty Gillette, 4 nicks, front of jawline both sides, bony prominence of both cheek. Rt side was more damaged, I was trying to use my left hand but then switched to my Rt hand as I found control was better. All done with the grain for against used my Gillette. Wasn't keen on pushing my luck. Bit of razor burn, will get better. Must say despite the discomfort clean shave. Will definitely try again. As of now this will be at weekends only! Found this video, specific for the razor I have.

Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post
    You have to snap a normal DE blade in half for use in a shavetts, although you can buy blades in half and ready to use, can't remember how much but I'm sure they were reasonably priced if I bought them!
    Thanks, I've always been tempted trying the cut throat razors but put off by the extra hassle, however the shavette option may be a good alternative.

I've been using a shavette for a couple of years. Takes a while to get used to, and preparation is key. But I wouldn't go back to DE now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I brought a shavette a couple of years ago as I thought it was a skill that should be learnt and some bragging rights. Did alright bit would always go to far and get razor burn and cut myself.
    2 months ago I invested in a deep murder. Best thing ever!

Master
    Getting there! A solitary cut, very little ( practically no) razor burn. How to avoid razor burn? Is it to do with the angle? I use a new blade everytime. Any ideas? Still use my gillette for the awkward areas? Still takes me about 25 minutes from start to finish.