closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Second wifi network

Second wifi network

First world problems...

Currently setting up a holiday home for holiday lets and thinking about wifi coverage. Something that occurred to me was that I don't necessarily want guests having access to everything on the network (IP security cameras for example).

Would using google wifi as a second network make sense? Could I connect some things to my main router/wifi and just have things like sonos and internet available on the google setup (or vice versa)?

I may be overcomplicating things but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on these things will be along in a moment...

A lot of wifi base stations have multiple networks configurable. You can use one as a guest network. Access to your internet connection and nothing else, for example.

On a Mac base station, enable Guest Network in Airport Utility on your phone or computer:

^This^.

Many modern routers allow you to set up a Guest network at the 'tick of the box'. It is for the exact purpose that you describe.

Occams razor...

Haven't got the first wifi network setup yet but will look into this before doing anything else.

Cheers

I don't think Google Wifi offers this but some of the normal wifi routers do

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    I don't think Google Wifi offers this but some of the normal wifi routers do
    Wouldn't I automatically have two with the google setup though (original router and google mesh)?

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Wouldn't I automatically have two with the google setup though (original router and google mesh)?
    Actually yes, and maybe you can hide one network

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    Actually yes, and maybe you can hide one network
    Pointless hiding the non guest network, hidden wifi networks can still be seen with the right tools.

Just use WPA2 and a secure password.

Wasn't planning on hiding it, just not giving anyone the password.

I have an Asus router and I can set up a Guest Network (actually several) as well as my own. It has its own name and password, and it doesn't have access to my network resources.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I can currently hack pretty much any domestic router over wifi in under 5 mins, using a £8 wifi dongle/laptop and some software, but yes guest network is the way to go.

Google wifi does offer the ability to set up a guest network with limited access separate to the main network. It's easy either the app and you can choose a password and share the credentials etc.

Our router has 2.4g and 5g. I haven't told the kids the password for the 5g.
    They are only 13 but probably only about 6 months away from Soundood's hacking capability.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Our router has 2.4g and 5g. I haven't told the kids the password for the 5g.
    They are only 13 but probably only about 6 months away from Soundood's hacking capability.
    yes it makes sense, I was shown how to do it by a 14 year old

Password should be enough security, I doubt anyone really wants to hack my central heating...

If it helps anyone I have a Draytek router and that has guest facility (and 3G/4G failover) in the office and at home I have just setup Linksys Velop which has a guest network - useful as guests don't have access to NAS etc.

Craftsman
    Password should be enough security, I doubt anyone really wants to hack my central heating...
    If they can make money by ransom to turn it back on then you can bet someone will want to hack it

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    If they can make money by ransom to turn it back on then you can bet someone will want to hack it
    Might tell the wife ours has been hacked to stop her turning it in in sodding June...

Hive/Nest owners around the country must be quaking in their boots...

I think the factory reset button would take care of any router ransom demands.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I think the factory reset button would take care of any router ransom demands.
    Unlikely if new firmware has been installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Unlikely if new firmware has been installed.
    So a ransom up to the value of the router...?

Craftsman
    Ransom up to the value of having central heating in the case you mention, resetting the router won't help if someone has put new firmware on your central heating controller. (Suspect kingstepper meant that rather than router)

Why do you think nest are invulnerable? With any luck we won't see any problems but all software has bugs.
    Last edited by wombleh; 7th June 2017 at 19:03.

I don't think anything is invulnerable. My house isn't asteroid proof but I'm not going to waste time worrying about that either.

All we've highlighted is that WiFi can be hacked. Hands up if you plan to stop using it...

Anybody...?

Gunner, there are many ways to do it, it depends on your wi-fi kit and what else is on the network.

Many wifi access points offer VLANS (virtual networks) as others have said, which can be configured to give computers connecting to the guest wi-fi a different IP address (a subnet), so that they cannot see what else is on the network, as they are on a different subnet. Look for VLAN options on your router/wifi access point.

You can further protect your home network by making it accept connections only from specified equipment. Each network card has a unique address (MAC address) and you can list these in the configuration. This is good as it means that even if someone like Soundood hacks your wifi password, unless he logins on to the access point and adds his MAC address, he won't be able to connect. The downside is that every time you have something new to connect, you have to amend the configuration. If friends pop round get them to use the guest but if they're regular visitors add them to the router.

Best thing I can suggest would be to look up your router's forum or help page and follow the instructions.

Good luck.

David

Thanks David, once I have the basics in place I'll certainly look into the guest option. Thanks for the heads up on mac addresses too.

lee

Craftsman
    I don't think anything is invulnerable. My house isn't asteroid proof but I'm not going to waste time worrying about that either.

All we've highlighted is that WiFi can be hacked. Hands up if you plan to stop using it...

Anybody...?
    Think we're talking at cross purposes, the last few posts were answering your statement about central heating.

The default Wifi setup these (WPA2 with AES) cannot currently be hacked unless the password is simple enough to get brute forced, or possibly if WPS is left enabled. Home routers aren't the most secure, but you'd have to get on the Wi-Fi network in the first place and guest network features usually block access to the router itself.

Tell us what router you have and someone may be able to let you know the best way to do a guest network.
    Last edited by wombleh; 8th June 2017 at 07:51. Reason: WPS caveat

As I mentioned, I haven't set up the new place yet, so don't have the router.