closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tales from the workshop - Remember the TR6 that fell off a trailer PART 2

Blog Entries

Tales from the workshop - Remember the TR6 that fell off a trailer PART 2

A slowly progressing Saga. I've shown pics of the TR when it arrived at the shop. Dented and in a mess. On top of that: what's the condition of the car after the shunt? Well, body-wise we're out of the woods. Only the wings were damaged. Careful diagonal measuring showed that the body wasn't warped. (We are not sure about the chassis at this moment, simply because the body is the first part of the car we're tackling). After that, we replaced the sills, making use of support beams we welded in place before cutting away the rot.

The owner of the car wanted to give the boys in the shop a helping hand. And frankfully, we're glad he wanted to help. Removing 70s anti-rust tar/tectyl etc. isn't a pleasant job. You can't blast it off; the medium simply bounches off the black stuff! And what's more: when charging the hours, the owner has to fork out a large sum for a simple job he can himself!
    Added to that: when he's in the shop, he sees how much time the mechanics have to spend on cars before their condition is perfect! He gets used to the time (=money) consuming jobs.
    Funny thing is that the owner is chuffed with this approach. And he has brought over some of his friends who - not surprisingly- own classics as well.

After removing all the black stuff from the complete shell (the underside as well), he started tackling the paint; removing as much as possible. Guess what: apart from the rotted sills, the car's body is in fantastic condition!! A few tiny holes (marked with a blue felt pen) for now. Perhaps, when the body is blasted, it will show some more holes but we doubt it!

Interesting to see that Standard Triumph only painted the visible parts with a coat. The inner wings only got primer and that red oxide paint! The saying: "That restored car is better than when it left the factory!" is no hollow phrase here once the car gets its new paint.

Next up is the actual blasting. Because the car is so clean already, only a mild blasting medium has to be used with less pressure! Thus preventing the metal from distorting! When the car is away for blasting and priming, it's time for the next step: lifting the engine and dismantling the chassis. But not before we assess the damage to it. Personally I wouldn't be surprised when we find a few cracks in the rear suspension & diff mounts!

Pics!

Master
    Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one, the TR6 is one of my favourites and quite fancy owning one one day.

I'd forgotten about this until a couple of days ago when a chap drove past me in one in the car park of my local Tesco, it was a real beauty in dark green, looked lovely in the sun with the top down. It reminded me of this project, so good to see it progressing.
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    There are a couple of chassis strengthening modifications available for the TR6, to address the weak spots where cracks can develop. It would be wise to weld these in whilst the chassis's being worked on.

This should be a superb car when it's finished, the only way to restore a TR is to separate the body from the chassis.

Paul

Blog Entries
    There are a couple of chassis strengthening modifications available for the TR6, to address the weak spots where cracks can develop. It would be wise to weld these in whilst the chassis's being worked on.
    You are absolutely right. When I restored my 3A, I strengthened the chassis with parts from RevingtonTR and I had a look on their website for the TR6 as well. There's a Dutch guy who's importing Revington stuff, so I think we need to talk to him within a few weeks.

Menno

Good to see the update - and also to hear that you welcomed the owner's assistance with the work. I've been fortunate to have the professionals allow me to work alongside them on my cars at times and it was invaluable learning for me.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Looks like a great restoration - love the fact that the owner is getting involved (and you're letting him). Look forward to the updates.

Master

Hi op.

Any chance of some pics of the mk1 Cortina?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    Hi op.

Any chance of some pics of the mk1 Cortina?
    Can do. I'll take pics later this week or next week. Anything you want to see?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Can do. I'll take pics later this week or next week. Anything you want to see?
    Thank you.

Just some general pics of the MK1 please.

johny.

Blog Entries
    As promised: a Cortina, almost ready to rally.

The engine is out at the moment; it is off to an engine shop 20kms to the east. That company is very good when it comes to tuning engines (crankshaft upgrade etc). A pair of nicely shiny (reconditioned) Webers is waiting in the boot!

Journeyman
    Thanks for posting. Really enjoy reading these restoration project posts

Master

[QUOTE=thieuster;4391690]As promised: a Cortina, almost ready to rally.

thank you for the pics. it looks great.