closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: B&I Lions Rugby Tour

Craftsman
    I haven't seen the game yet but you surprise me when you suggest Farrell was nervous . He's mentally as hard as iron and very competitive as was his father .If the Lions had 23 with Farrell's attributes they would be a very formidable squad .
    BTW I was told yesterday that the allegedly "angry" Mike Brown will replace Hogg on the tour .Haven't heard any more so I must assume that my normally reliable source has lost his touch or has taken up bullshitting .

^ It was his first touch of the game. The home fans booed every place kick by the Lions and he appeared flustered by it.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Poor kicking, poor decisions by the ref and still conceding too many penalties. Farrell looked spooked when took the kick (he must have been made aware of the booing beforehand?) and there was obstruction for their first try.
    On another day it could have gone the Lions' way quite comfortably but it's those margins that win at this level.
    What was AWJ doing when Warburton picked up & scored?
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    What was AWJ doing when Warburton picked up & scored?
    Technically he was still part of the ruck as was the player he 'obstructed'
    He was in contact with both players at the same time. If you check the replay he had hold of the opposing players shirt whilst he was on the ground whilst in contact with the opposing rucking player.
    Clever bit of play. It's one of the few things he does well.

Technically, he wasn't correctly bound & therefore not part of the ruck & ahead of his team's rearmost foot & offside.

Technically, the ruck is over when the ball leaves it. When Warburton picks the ball up, the ruck is over. AWJ is therefore holding a player 'off the ball'.

Technically, he moved (albeit slightly) into the running line of a defensive player.

Technically, Warburton's try is in the record books, so it doesn't really matter.
    ______

​Jim.

Technically, he wasn't correctly bound & therefore not part of the ruck & ahead of his team's rearmost foot & offside. - he came through the gate and could not bind as the opposite player had come off his feet, he was pulling him out of the way clearing the ruck and in the process made contact with another player who was about to join the ruck.

Technically, the ruck is over when the ball leaves it. When Warburton picks the ball up, the ruck is over. AWJ is therefore holding a player 'off the ball'. -AWJ made contact with both players before Warburton picked the ball up. As such all players are out of the game.

Technically, he moved (albeit slightly) into the running line of a defensive player. - true but before Warburton picked the ball up.

Technically, Warburton's try is in the record books, so it doesn't really matter.
    - Agreed

Farrell looked spooked when took the kick (he must have been made aware of the booing beforehand?)
    Faz always looks like that when he kicks! I think it was more that it was pretty much his first touch of the ball - an argument could be maid that Greig should have taken the pen as he'd been on the pitch longer and therefore would be more likely to be in the flow of the game.

Technically, he wasn't correctly bound & therefore not part of the ruck & ahead of his team's rearmost foot & offside.

Technically, the ruck is over when the ball leaves it. When Warburton picks the ball up, the ruck is over. AWJ is therefore holding a player 'off the ball'.

Technically, he moved (albeit slightly) into the running line of a defensive player.

"Technically" , could well be true..

But the only persons opion ..that counts! is the refs!

Not the best of games for sure though!

I cant see Laidlaw getting much test play........

Farrel had just come onto the pitch...so not an easy kick....

The tests will certainly be....."interesting"! Still think the forwards are doing great........(not so good in the scrums according to the last ref. though!)...Farrel is looking class.....Sexton...Murray is looking good..Sexton...good.. Joseph looking good.....but we need some backs to make a real good statement soon! Farrel cant do it all on his own.

Union coverage is pretty dire in Australia. Hopefully I'll be able to watch a few games though.
    Big Sean O'Brien is sort of related to me, I'll have to try and pick up another signed Lions shirt

Even as a Welshman those new callups are just wrong.

After watching NZ dismantle Samoa yesterday I don't see us getting close on the tests without a huge improvement

With the injuries starting to grow, is it a case of too many warm up games before the tests?

If Gatland has to bring in so many replacements from other tours, surely the Lions won't be at full strength for the big upcoming games??

Well that was a bit better.

I know the All Blacks will play MUCH better than the Maori did today of course!

Some encouraging bits of play though....

Im working next Saturday morning, so wont watch the first test.

Itoje had a great game, as did Sean O Brien, Halfpenny. Teo, and a fair few others!

Master
    I know not strictly the right thread but that was a great Scottish performance against the Ozzys.
    Superb handling and defence.
    Scotland went years without scoring tries and even without Hogg when we get in the 22 we seem to make it count.
    Unfortunately can't get excited about the Lions with so little representation in that squad but fear the worst for them after NZ blowing away Samoa.
    I would take the All Blacks by 20 points unless we have kept something in reserve.

A better result today but a patchy performance and still not taking chances from open play.

Much improved performance today, especially from the forwards and at the set piece - going to have to boss those if there's any chance of a test win.

As of now my starting line up for the first test would be would be:

Halfpenny (would have been Hogg)
    Daly
    Davies
    Te'o
    Watson
    Farrell (if fit, Sexton if not)
    Murray
    Vunipola
    George
    Furlong
    Itoje
    Kruis
    O'mahony (c)
    O'Brien
    Faletau (would have been Moriarty)

Shame Gats has chosen to de-value the Lions jersey by calling up 3 players whose own parents didn't even know they played rugby though...
    Last edited by Ashtennisguru; 17th June 2017 at 16:01.

^ Which of the six are you referring to?

A much better forward performance from the Lions this morning. The backs, not so much. The NZ Maori weren't very good from 1 to 15, TBH.

Well done Scotland, particularly in holding a lead for the last 15 minutes under Aussie pressure.

Really poor decision by Gatland to call up three Welsh nobodies & Dell. Still, he's ensured a few more quid for his employers at the WRU.
    ______

​Jim.

^ Which of the six are you referring to?
    Kristian Dacey, Corey Hill and Francis Thomas. Corey Hill has only made 37 senior appearances in his entire career and 7 of those were for Moseley. Lions they should not be, even if it is only to be bench players for the midweek games.

^^^^^^ Total agreed. Perhaps Gatland needs a few tackle dummies, because I am sure that's the only action they will see.

Shame that Henry Slade did not get a call.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    Kristian Dacey, Corey Hill and Francis Thomas. Corey Hill has only made 37 senior appearances in his entire career and 7 of those were for Moseley. Lions they should not be, even if it is only to be bench players for the midweek games.
    even the most one-eyed Welshman couldn't disagree with you, de-values the badge in my view and entirely pre-planned.

Its all about the test series now and if they pull off what will be a miraculous series win it will all be forgotten

Yes, there will be some players who have very legit reasons to be a bit miffed this morning - Jonny Gray & Josh Strauss for example, plus a number of the England contingent.

Have to agree.

Im Welsh.....but these "selections"?

...and they'll be 'Lions' by 1100 on Tuesday morning as Gatland has put all 6 call-ups on the bench for the game against the Chiefs.
    ______

​Jim.

I've never heard of most of the replacements, but as a Chiefs fan I'm pleased for Francis. I don't think he would ever expect to be there, but any player would grab the chance and if he does play (which I doubt) I'll certainly be supporting him.

Finally the mid-week Lions are starting to ask selection questions - Daly, Haskell and even Nowell having very solid games (for what it's worth I still think Nowell would be a very, very good 13 - it would suit his skill set far more than wing). Can see Daly on the bench now instead of JJ.

Admittedly this Chiefs side is short of its All Blacks and is very young, but still - nice to see some combinations coming together and surely good for morale ahead of the weekend.

Most enjoyable game so far and delighted for Nowellsy, who finally showed what he can do.

Right - announcement for the first test at 8pm UK time tonight - how many leek eaters do we think we'll see in the side?

I'm expecting to see North (should be Daly), AWJ (should be Itoje), Faletau, Warbs (on the bench), Halfpenny, Davies and possibly Ken Owens (should be George).

I hope I see...

Vunipola George Furlong
    Itoje Kruis
    O'Mahoney Faletau O'Brien
    Murray
    Farrell
    Te'o Davies
    Watson Halfpenny Daly

As a leek eater that isn't very nice...however you're probably right.

North doesn't deserve to be near the team, AWJ is marginal to make the bench as is Warbs.

1/2P is there to kick but Farrell and Sexton can easily fill that role so drop him too.

Davies has been good (has even passed a bit), Owens would make an impact off the bench.

Liam williams was good yesterday but that won't help his cause much, Tipuric hasn't really put his hand up while being decent.

But it's Gatland so he's likely decided on GN, 1/2P + AWJ before they left the UK.

Wish he'd stay in NZ after the lions, he can even keep Howley and McBryde to keep him company.

I'd swap Liam in for 1/2P from your squad but otherwise a good shout.

The only issue I see is that neither centre is a fan of passing
    Last edited by acg; 21st June 2017 at 08:59.

Craftsman
    I'm expecting a side packed with players who can ,at this stage of the tour play Gatland's system .1/2P at full back ,two centres who can't pass properly and a pack that wants to steamroller .
    I'd like to see Daly at FB ,Joseph and Farrell. That'll mean that he'll have to abandon the crash stuff that's brought slams in UK and may well have beaten England in 2017 but for a crap defensive kick at the end by a centre . Oh hell he may be playing on Saturday .
    What I'm getting around to saying is that with Gatlandball the best footballing guys don't necessarily get to play .We'll see around 20.00 UK today.

Apprentice
    I don't fancy our chances at all. I don't think there were any great team performances in the warm up games. But I will definitely be up watching. Then out on the bike for a spin.

D

AWJ in ahead of Itoje is about the daftest thing I have seen on a rugby pitch

Master
    That's a very strange decision, Itoje's been immense every time I've seen him. I figured he'd be an easy choice.

At least Gats has been a bit adventurous in picking Daly and Williams over North and Halfpenny - the back line is quite exciting!

Master
    Equally as strange is splitting up of Conor Murray and Johnny Sexton in favour of Owen Farrell

Craftsman
    ^ ??? Sexton split up from Murray? Why would you not when Farrell has done so much more this tour than Sexton. Surprised North isn't in as he is a Gatland favourite but correct decision as he looks a shadow of his former self and lucky to have made the squad. Definitely right call for the back row in leaving Warburton out. The Irish boys look good

Master
    Any time I've watched Sexton and Murray play together, they seem to have a very close understanding of each other, which I don't think is quite so intuitive as with Farrell. A lot of the play I've watched has had Laidlaw at number 9, so let's wait and see..............

Honestly a bit shocked, never thought gatland would drop north.

Not dissapointed as it seems a good team and an exciting back 3.

AWJ is lucky though

Im glad Liam Williams is playing.....

I think hes a great player. I know he didnt do too well with the "tackles in the air", in the game......

But he is a much better player than that. He has been playing really well over the last year.

Hopefully, he will reproduce that form.....Great runner, brave tackler and can kick a bit too.

Pleased with most of the team, hope AWJ is there for 45 mins or so just to guide the younger players through the shock of a first Lions test. Once that's done he can join the midweek team for the rest of the tour and let Itoje and Kruis backed by Lawes or Henderson as the impact sub win the series (relentlessly upbeat....its the hope that kills)

Bench is shit....

We are stuffed if we have to chase the All Blacks, that bench is not bringing much impact..

Apprentice
    Sexton had a terrible first game whereas Farrell has done everything asked of him. Murray also said he gets on well with Farrell on the pitch so I think this will work out well.

D

Apprentice
    Delighted with O'Mahony as captain. A heart as big as an elephants.

D

Apprentice
    O'Mahony has a heart of a lion. I think he will be a great leader on the pitch. Still don't think we will do it. Score predictions??

D

Craftsman
    Like the squad aside from AWJ over Itoje. Maybe with dropping North and Halfpenny Gatland had to have a lie down and forgot to put Itoje in. Think Williams may find himself under the high ball at a bit and may struggle with Barrett's low cross field kicks but he's excellent ball in hand and glides past people. Hopefully Daly and Watson will see some ball. Can't help but feel it'll be the ABs by 20 but will happily be proved wrong!

12 hours to go and I'm excited already!

Big question mark over 13 and 15. Itoje will replace Jones after 50 minutes.

Not convinced personally -

All blacks by 13 but the Lions will outscore them in the second half.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    12 hours to go and I'm excited already!
    Me too! Let's hope it's a great match!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Big question mark over 13 and 15. Itoje will replace Jones after 50 minutes.

Not convinced personally -

All blacks by 13 but the Lions will outscore them in the second half.
    4/1 for lions with bookies
    It would need to be 10/1 before it was value

Quote Originally Posted by DOShea View Post
    Delighted with O'Mahony as captain. A heart as big as an elephants.

D
    Quote Originally Posted by DOShea View Post
    O'Mahony has a heart of a lion. I think he will be a great leader on the pitch. Still don't think we will do it. Score predictions??

D

Thank you for your valuable insight.

Is it only me who think that NZ are in second gear at the moment.

The Lions are doing well but still to many errors.

Alas I feel I will be wrong about the Lions outscoring NZ in the second half, but if they bring on itoje to look after the ball in the middle of the park and and help out at the break down, then it's possible, assuming NZ stick at the same tempo.

Good game, plus a rather special try.

Friedrich Nietzsche

As is often the case, I think thing and quality of substitutions will make the difference - AB's have already been forced into 2 changes, Lions bench need to really front up here and there is a chance - the AB's are playing fast and offloading well, but they aren't looking quite as comfortable in the last 20 minutes as they were early.