closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Datejust on leather. End links or no?

Datejust on leather. End links or no?

I bought a datejust from here via a WTB. Watch and seller were great and the jubilee is fine, but I do like my watches to be versatile so I change straps to bracelet to rubber etc to suit my circumstances quite a lot. It's a tapestry dial 16013 two tone so I set about finding a nice dressy leather strap (also hunted for a nice casual dress down leather but I'm not sure such a thing exists for that dial. Anyway long story short I got the straps bought but when I google pic search I see some wearers have the leather with end links seemingly in place presumably to avoid the gap between case and strap. At first I thought it looked weird now I'm just confused. Is there a right or wrong way to wear leather on the datejust - with or without this piece? To further confuse I tried to price the Rolex part to find it's only aftermarket suppliers that make it? Views of the TZ great and mighty welcomed please. Couple pics to illustrate just pulled from the interweb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I prefer the Datejust on the original bracelet, I don't think the design works well on a strap although it looks better if some type of end link is used. The case isn't finished between the lugs because it isn't supposed to be visible, and for me that always looks wrong. I also think the watch starts to look a bit tall on a strap.

The pre -2006 Datejusts have very slim lugs and on the bracelet the watch almost looks like an integral bracelet design; the lugs almost flow into the bracelet because they're so tapered. This effect is more noticable on a larger wrist too, it's a subtle point that's not obvious till you wear one.

I own 2 Datejusts and I could get tempted to buy another. Both mine are fluted bezel/Jubilee bracelet models (one's steel, one's bimetal) but I've always liked the bimetal Oyster bracelet/smooth bezel variants and if I found a real minter I'd probably buy it. You can't have too many 36mm Datejusts (or vintage Omegas) IMO.

If I was the OP I wouldn't spend a lot on a strap, try it on a cheap one to see if you really like it. Each to his own, but I'd stick with the bracelet.

Paul

I would have said I prefer it on the bracelet, but then having seen the newer precious metal models on OEM leather and clasp, I'd have one of those.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I think the end links give the watch a more finished look. Have you considered a curved end strap?

Definitely a pair of end links will give you more options, which if you're after versatility is a good thing. It's given me the idea to get some of these for my 1803 Day Date.

I think end links are horrible and make it look even less 'finished' and less like it's an integrated whole of watch and strap. Rather than transition from case to strap (something that's not an problem for all watches supplied on leather straps), it makes it look like a lumpy block of metal sat on a strap that's entirely unrelated to the watch. You don't get that when the strap sits in the lugs, integrating into the watch.

Craftsman
    Strange as I prefer a strap without the end links, but I agree about the bracelet being best

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    I think end links are horrible and make it look even less 'finished' and less like it's an integrated whole of watch and strap. Rather than transition from case to strap (something that's not an problem for all watches supplied on leather straps), it makes it look like a lumpy block of metal sat on a strap that's entirely unrelated to the watch. You don't get that when the strap sits in the lugs, integrating into the watch.
    That was my first impression. My stance mellowed to be totally torn between the two looks now. To be clear just having it solely on jubilee isn't an option. I will wear it on the jubilee of course, but I'm just wanting an additional look for the DJ.

When I first ever saw metal endlinks for leather straps I thought they looked really weird, and the passing of years has done nothing to change my mind. They kind of remind me of doilies. And I'm always thinking of the metal ridges digging into the leather. Wonder how long before someone invents metal endlinks for covering the join of a NATO.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I prefer the Datejust on the original bracelet, I don't think the design works well on a strap although it looks better if some type of end link is used. The case isn't finished between the lugs because it isn't supposed to be visible, and for me that always looks wrong. I also think the watch starts to look a bit tall on a strap.

The pre -2006 Datejusts have very slim lugs and on the bracelet the watch almost looks like an integral bracelet design; the lugs almost flow into the bracelet because they're so tapered. This effect is more noticable on a larger wrist too, it's a subtle point that's not obvious till you wear one.

I own 2 Datejusts and I could get tempted to buy another. Both mine are fluted bezel/Jubilee bracelet models (one's steel, one's bimetal) but I've always liked the bimetal Oyster bracelet/smooth bezel variants and if I found a real minter I'd probably buy it. You can't have too many 36mm Datejusts (or vintage Omegas) IMO.

If I was the OP I wouldn't spend a lot on a strap, try it on a cheap one to see if you really like it. Each to his own, but I'd stick with the bracelet.

Paul
    Cheapish options are in the post as you say - to test the look. I do tend to think the endlinks totally remove the look of the lugs. Kinda makes it look like it hasn't got any! Think that's what's holding me back on it. Perhaps over time the look will become naturalised in my eyes and become perfectly fine. I know there's plenty of watch geeks on YouTube and forums that love to wear their DJS on casual leather rather than dressy leather but not sure with Two tone that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by NOODLES25 View Post
    I think the end links give the watch a more finished look. Have you considered a curved end strap?
    Would any standard curved end work / never bought a curved end leather- do you order based on diameter of case as that dictates the curve of the arc?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Without.

Craftsman
    I put a leather strap on my DJ last week, I fancied a change from the jubilee. I went for a relatively cheap Hirsch, just to see if I like it or not. Here it is below, it's growing on me but I'm not 100% sure. To answer the original question, I don't like end-links on a strap.

Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    I put a leather strap on my DJ last week, I fancied a change from the jubilee. I went for a relatively cheap Hirsch, just to see if I like it or not. Here it is below, it's growing on me but I'm not 100% sure. To answer the original question, I don't like end-links on a strap.

I'm coming to conclusion no end links for me. Strap you show is nice - bit heavy perhaps and over casual? Kinda like it tho 🤣

My Air-King-Date with no end links and a teju lizard strap- I'd quite like to try some with this combination though...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I'm coming to conclusion no end links for me. Strap you show is nice - bit heavy perhaps and over casual? Kinda like it tho 藍

I went to the shop convinced I wanted a croc or alligator style strap (not real, was just thinking of embossed calf) which wouldn't have been so casual, but when offered up to the watch head it just didn't look right. Tried quite a few in the end. The one I chose is quite thick, time will tell if I stick with it.

Master
    Lug width. I've got a CF with curved ends that I used to wear on a Precision. It integrates well.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    My Air-King-Date with no end links and a teju lizard strap- I'd quite like to try some with this combination though...
    Mmmm I love that

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Wonder how long before someone invents metal endlinks for covering the join of a NATO.

To me, looks odd with end-links - like a bit of bracelet left behind.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 31st May 2017 at 03:35.

Journeyman
    without end links.

straps must taper to 16mm.

most 20mm straps taper to 18mm and does not make the 36mm head look "right."

Agree that 20/16mm straps suit a DJ best.

Also be careful on the thickness of the leather as it will butt up to the case and get chewed-up pretty quickly. Later models moved the spring bar detents even closer to the case too so they are even worse. Either way it's a problem on both my mid-60's 1601 and more so on my late-90's 16234. Very few straps are safe from being chewed up and spat out by a DJ. At least the end links might hide the damage!

See on this 1601 that the fairly thin lizard strap is picking up on the case...

This one seems ok...

I rather liked the Ostrich strap on this one but it only was on there a day before I had to rescue it!

This one was too snug...

As was this one...

This one was just about OK though...

Last edited by fordy964; 31st May 2017 at 06:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    To me, looks odd with end-links - like a bit of bracelet left behind.
    Well-put. They always appeared to me to be an ugly solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Datejust on leather. End links or no?

Quote Originally Posted by taxico View Post
    without end links.

Don't understand - how would a bigger taper make the head look better if the 16 end is on opp side to the watch head?. Surely only matters if using a deployant which I'm not ?

Last edited by RustyBin5; 31st May 2017 at 08:08.

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    Agree that 20/16mm straps suit a DJ best.

Also be careful on the thickness of the leather as it will butt up to the case and get chewed-up pretty quickly. Later models moved the spring bar detents even closer to the case too so they are even worse. Either way it's a problem on both my mid-60's 1601 and more so on my late-90's 16234. Very few straps are safe from being chewed up and spat out by a DJ. At least the end links might hide the damage!

See on this 1601 that the fairly thin lizard strap is picking up on the case...

This one seems ok...

I rather liked the Ostrich strap on this one but it only was on there a day before I had to rescue it!

This one was too snug...

As was this one...

This one was just about OK though...

Great pictures and interesting . If straps are so tight to the case how in gods name do people even FIT an end link in there as an option. Your pics have convinced me that it's no end links for me . Thanks!

Master
    As mentioned, might be worth a try of a leather strap with curved ends. I bought one recently, they take a bit of bedding in (as the ends want to sit high as the stiff strap tries to pull them straight) but it obviously removes that big gap you get on a bracelet case watch. Maybe get on cousins and get a cheap one to try the look?

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    As mentioned, might be worth a try of a leather strap with curved ends. I bought one recently, they take a bit of bedding in (as the ends want to sit high as the stiff strap tries to pull them straight) but it obviously removes that big gap you get on a bracelet case watch. Maybe get on cousins and get a cheap one to try the look?
    Will check them out

These straps can't come quick enough. Got it on a kinda nausea inducing blue to tide me over , and straps 18 not 20. I doubt the watch will talk to me for a month

WEONE 20mm Brown Vintage Genuine Leather Watch Strap Watchband Wristwatch Band with Silvery Buckle
    From Amazon £8.99
    Looks good . Just fitted to a beater.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Who exactly is it that decided that there should be no, or barely any visible gap between a strap and watch head?

Well straps arrived and they are cheaper than McDonald's but they serve the purpose of letting me judge if I like the style or not. I like it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Who exactly is it that decided that there should be no, or barely any visible gap between a strap and watch head?
    I don't think anyone decided, but many modern watches that are OEM on a strap tend to have a straight case design thus eliminating most of the gap. For me the 'issue' begins with a curved case and straight strap, just looks untidy to me.

Steel endlinks get rid of this

Apprentice
    1973 DJ here. I wear mine without the inners with a brown or black leather strap in autumn/winter and a NATO or NATO Tropical in the summer months. Try wearing it without and see how you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    1973 DJ here. I wear mine without the inners with a brown or black leather strap in autumn/winter and a NATO or NATO Tropical in the summer months. Try wearing it without and see how you like it.
    I already decided I like it without now. Not quite sure I'll ever make the leap to a tapestry two tone DJ on a NATO tho (!). You got pics? Interested how that would look

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    I don't think anyone decided, but many modern watches that are OEM on a strap tend to have a straight case design thus eliminating most of the gap. For me the 'issue' begins with a curved case and straight strap, just looks untidy to me.

Steel endlinks get rid of this
    I hear you. But I think my watch looks more old fashioned and end links on leather while they might suit a more modern looking incarnation like yours I think they would look off on my 16013

Apprentice
    I already decided I like it without now. Not quite sure I'll ever make the leap to a tapestry two tone DJ on a NATO tho (!). You got pics? Interested how that would look

Will do. One with the Tropical and one with the HFH NATO coming up.

Craftsman
    I think it look way better without endlinks. Just a nice leather strap on the spring bars!

No end bits.

No really thick leather strap

I think a good quality thin leather strap which as said before tapers a lot will look best.

Well straps arrived and they are cheaper than McDonald's but they serve the purpose of letting me judge if I like the style or not. I like it

Where did they come from. Never considered snakeskin but...

Patek Philippe, amongst others, apparently disagree.

A curve in proximity to a straight line seems a pleasing thing to me

Are we worried they're going to interbreed?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    A curve in proximity to a straight line seems a pleasing thing to me

Are we worried they're going to interbreed?
    Looks great to me too

Definitely NO to end links, they look wrong :-(

Master
    Patek Philippe, amongst others, apparently disagree.
    PP also agree, depends which model you look at.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesianbriggs View Post
    Where did they come from. Never considered snakeskin but...

Just ordered off the bay. Cheapos - I don't expect to keep them , yeah the python one was just for laughs but once I had it on I kinda liked it. Can see me wearing that on holiday with a big old floral Hawaiian shirt supping a marguerita lol

without end links.

Nonsense. There's no "must taper" or "look right" at all. Wear what you like.
    F.T.F.A.

PP also agree, depends which model you look at.
    My intended point was that their designs have no issues regarding a curved case, straight edged strap and gap between both.
    They certainly don't use false end links. In fact, most watch manufacturers don't - a curved springbar or custom fitted strap is a better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Nonsense. There's no "must taper" or "look right" at all. Wear what you like.
    I don't understand how a 16mm buckle affects the look of the head when it can't be seen when looking at it.

Master
    My intended point was that their designs have no issues regarding a curved case, straight edged strap and gap between both.
    They certainly don't use false end links. In fact, most watch manufacturers don't - a curved springbar or custom fitted strap is a better solution.
    I disagree, as a curved spring bar or custom strap is never as flexible as a strap on a straight bar as it can't rotate.

As we we are discussing a DJ, the endlink question is valid, irrelevant what other manufacturers do or don't do. Look at any recent Rolex on OEM leather strap, like the WG Daytona or DD-36, they have endlinks. So if someone wants to 'complete' the look, they'll need endlinks.

Having said that though, a vintage piece would look better without, somehow more historically correct, as it were. As long as you can live with the unfinished case, then it's all good

Apprentice
    My 20mm DJ leather strap tapers to 16mm and although it should make little difference to an 18mm taper, it really does give a slimmer appearance.

Master
    without end links.

That's rubbish. When I had my EXP-39s it was on a strap 20/18, so it would fit the Rolex pin buckle