closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: eBay again, you couldn't make this one up

eBay again, you couldn't make this one up

I just got a message saying my account has been restricted for seven days because I massaged a buyer who was picking up a heavy item my phone number.

This only the second time in 15 years I've messaged my phone number

I called them and they lifted it saying this time only, but you cannot message phone numbers or email addresses, I asked about all the companies who have there phone numbers on the listings, after a pause she said can I put you on hold, then came back saying the practice is banned.

Someone has gone bonkers

If their system picks up an e-mail address in a message it will block it and they clearly look for key words, but a phone number is usually the way to by pass their fees

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    If their system picks up an e-mail address in a message it will block it and they clearly look for key words, but a phone number is usually the way to by pass their fees
    But not after the buyer has paid

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    But not after the buyer has paid
    Fair point.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    my account has been restricted for seven days because I massaged a buyer
    I can understand why, getting a reach around after ordering some light bulbs would be shocking.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I got a 'warning' from eBay recently for doing a deal outside eBay.

The circumstances were that I had a car-related item for sale on a Buy-it-Now basis and it had been on eBay for about two weeks without a sniff of interest. I then put it up for sale on a car forum, whilst leaving it on eBay and providing a link to ebay in the car forum advert.

A chap contacted me through eBay messaging stating that he had seen my advert on the car forum and after exchanging a few eBay messages we concluded a deal and I removed it from eBay and sold it for cash for the full asking amount, and obviously avoiding eBay fees and Paypal fees.

Immediately after I removed the item from eBay I got the following message:

Warning - Offers to sell outside of eBay

Hello XXXXXXXX,

We’re writing to let you know that activity on your account may not be following an important eBay policy that requires all transactions and payments to be completed through eBay. The same policy specifies that eBay member-to-member messages may not be used to share contact information.

For example(s), review your listing and member messages regarding the following:
    xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There’s a very good reason for this policy. Only transactions conducted through eBay can be covered by eBay Seller Protections—programmes that help ensure sellers can conduct business on eBay with confidence. Also, eBay has invested a great amount to bring you buyers, and we want to continue to partner with you in the fulfillment of transactions with them.

Even if a buyer requests to work with you directly, it’s important to use the methods eBay provides to personalise a transaction. For example, you can make a private offer to your buyer. You can also set up your listings to invite best offers.

We understand that you might not have known about our rules that don’t allow sharing contact information in messages or making an offer to sell outside of eBay. We encourage you to review the details of the policy to understand what you can and can’t do. At this time, no further action is being taken on your account; we want to educate you on the policy. Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges, application of fees, suspension of your account(s), and restrictions on listing search page exposure and account features.

If you have any questions, contact us:
    http://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/cusr?query

Thanks,

eBay

To be honest I was a bit surprised they didn't actually take the fee that would have been payable directly from my Paypal account as the messages clearly show a deal was done, so I think I got off lightly there (it was a fairly expensive item). Of course in hindsight all the messages should have been via the car forum.

Anyway, be aware that eBay scrutinise your messages like Big Brother. They have become much too powerful and monopolistic and we need alternatives.
    Last edited by FazerBoy; 29th May 2017 at 22:35.

Just tell them where to shove it and have done with them.

Edit. eBays greed with eventually be their undoing I think.
    Last edited by Chinnock; 29th May 2017 at 22:44.

Master
    i recently had the warning too...the way round it I think is write the details on a bit of paper and take a pic and send the buyer that.

I sold a motorbike on a classified ad by accepting a best offer for full asking pice and couldnt send a message containing my paypal email address for the deposit... nuts

Most sellers have a contact telephone number on their account and even most buyers these days as sometimes a company may need to contact you (for example buying furniture) but also presumably it offers some kind of further security from fake accounts. I don't see why you didn't provide your telephone number on your account and ebay/paypal can share that with the buyer avoiding this kind of problem.

All it seems ebay is doing it protecting the buyer/seller from getting ripped off, they point this out all the time don't make deals outside of ebay as you then don't have ebay/paypal protection, it does seem ebay are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

As for posting an ad on ebay and somewhere else then negotiating the deal on ebay and selling outside of it does come across as a bit cheeky to be honest. "So I am going to use your free advertising space because I could get more coverage then complain when you warn me not to do it again"

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Most sellers have a contact telephone number on their account and even most buyers these days as sometimes a company may need to contact you (for example buying furniture) but also presumably it offers some kind of further security from fake accounts. I don't see why you didn't provide your telephone number on your account and ebay/paypal can share that with the buyer avoiding this kind of problem.

All it seems ebay is doing it protecting the buyer/seller from getting ripped off, they point this out all the time don't make deals outside of ebay as you then don't have ebay/paypal protection, it does seem ebay are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

As for posting an ad on ebay and somewhere else then negotiating the deal on ebay and selling outside of it does come across as a bit cheeky to be honest. "So I am going to use your free advertising space because I could get more coverage then complain when you warn me not to do it again"
    Thanks for your sage advice...

Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
    Thanks for your sage advice...
    Your welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post

She said that giving any contact details making possible communication of any type outside of Ebay is against the rules, and they will restrict the account, this includes companies that put their phone number on the listing. someone has gone nuts,

Master
    I had the same thing - a warning a few weeks ago, so I stopped sending my number out, then a suspension for a message I sent THREE WEEKS AGO!

The thing is I get messages almost every day asking "what is your best price". Default response used to be something like free postage if bought through e.bay or between 10% and 20% off if they want to do cash on collection.
    E.bay got really pissy about that going on which is why they have tightened up their filters on e.mails.

When my suspension came through I got right on to live chat, told them they were out of order and got them to go through the last month of e.mails where I had not sent any contact details. She said since it was a major breach of their terms there was nowt she could do - 7 day suspension and resetting my power-seller status to zero.

Not a problem, I told her I'd been looking at jumping ship to Amazon anyway since they do the FBA drop-shipping (Fulfilled by Amazon: as long as they have the product on their site, you just ship them your stock and they sell it for you and post it for you). Took her about 4 nano seconds to do a U-turn and remove the suspension.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
    They have become much too powerful and monopolistic and we need alternatives.
    I think there are many alternatives, just not ones that are identical to eBay. Have a look at my list here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4334101 (and see my follow up here as to why I think none of them presently have as large a single market as eBay).

Master
    eBay isn't my favourite place at the moment.

If you're a seller you get royally shafted and the only protection eBay provide the seller is lube to take the shafting!

I've got a load of watches to flog on there but I've been put right off. I'm just a private seller and eBay give the buyer rights over the sale as if you were some high street conglomerate! I don't understand how the buyer can hold all the cards on a private sale! I have even had a buyer have a watch for 29 days and then start a return! Upon which they freeze part of your PayPal asset to the tune of that amount and don't even offer you an option to dispute what the buyer has alleged! I'm fully expecting the menace to have broken it but even if they have it's not like you can get the money back.

I have bought dozens of watches on eBay and never returned anything despite the majority of the stuff being nothing like the description! The favourite being "just needs a battery" which translates to "old battery been in 10 years, has leaked and destroyed everything inside". It's all part of buying second hand stuff online, bit like boot fairs.

Don't even get me started on the idiots that bid on my items in the last few seconds then never pay or just say they bid too much! You put it back on eBay and then people think you've been pulling a fast one or there's an issue with the item and it goes for half the price it should do!

Sorry to the OP for going slightly OT but I needed a vent.

They accused me of breaching their T&C's a while back, I sold an expensive/fragile item on there and received payment by Paypal, the seller and I contacted each other to arrange collection of said item, and passed mobile numbers. eBay accused me of selling outside of their system, even though the buyer had paid.

I deleted my account, Paypal too, no time for their nonsense. :)