closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My really near miss (dash cam video)

Journeyman

My really near miss (dash cam video)

The wife and I had taken our Daughter to Falmouth Uni for a look around, and decided to drop into Mevagissy for Lunch, unfortunately someone tried to spoil our day.
    Watch the Citroen hit the back of the Renault, and the ensuing fun.
    I was in a 2017 Mercedes E class, and I'm damn sure the ABS and Stability control saved our skin.
    (Bit of language at the end)

I got the dash camera after I saw a suspected crash for cash a while ago, and hopefully if I had wrecked this would have helped sort out the insurance.... dunno tho?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUYF5OS5SrY

F***! glad youre ok!
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Excellent reactions Sir!

Well done, awesome reaction and manoeuvring under the stress conditions.

Oh and kudos for both of you on stoping and checking on the occupants of the car!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote of the weekend "F*%#^%%k me!"

Excellent driving. And I'm impressed your wife (?) instantly asked to make sure they were ok. I hope they were..

Master
    Good driving and a lucky escape. I'd love to know how the other driver didn't see a car slowing to turn off?

Good skills and choice of turn direction. I bet you're not one of those 'street dancers' that steps one way as the person coming in the opposite direction steps the same way.

Blog Entries
    Great driving and a lucky escape. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, hopefully without any further drama. :-)

Good driving and good tunes.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That's one of those genuinely heart stopping moments. Well driven and glad you were all ok.

I don't have a dash cam, but have been considering getting one as a couple of weeks ago I was out for a drive in the 'Rati on my own, perfectly clear day, doing about sixty on an entirely straight road. I saw a lorry waiting in a side road to pull onto the main road I was on, just as I got near to him he inexplicably floored it and pulled straight out in front of me. I have never done such a hard emergency stop in my life, and I doubt many cars could have managed it. I pulled up no more than three feet from his cab in a cloud of tyre smoke which was halfway across the road. He had stopped. I leaned on the horn and couldn't believe it when he just started moving again and drive off - no apology, no acknowledgement that he very nearly killed me.

Having just typed this and relived it as a result, I think I will go and order some dash cams this evening...

Really good driving, going to the right and around required some very quick thinking, not sure I would have, instinctively you want to go left.

Craftsman
    Surely you should have been in Monaco this weekend.......serious reactions there!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    Really good driving, going to the right and around required some very quick thinking, not sure I would have, instinctively you want to go left.
    I did initially go left heading for what I thought would be a gap, unfortunately, she kept coming.... I then had to go hard right, missing her by about a foot, the perspective from the camera then does not show quite how close to a head on I was with the silver golf.
    After a bad crash in my youth I was sent on a Police driver training course, one thing the trainer told me was "however hard you are on the brakes with ABS, you can still steer" and that stuck with me, and I actually remember talking myself through that at the point of this incident.

Thanks all for the kind comments. I guess its one of those videos that shows how quickly an afternoon can turn to sh!t.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyjoe View Post
    I did initially go left heading for what I thought would be a gap, unfortunately, she kept coming.... I then had to go hard right, missing her by about a foot, the perspective from the camera then does not show quite how close to a head on I was with the silver golf.
    After a bad crash in my youth I was sent on a Police driver training course, one thing the trainer told me was "however hard you are on the brakes with ABS, you can still steer" and that stuck with me, and I actually remember talking myself through that at the point of this incident.

Thanks all for the kind comments. I guess its one of those videos that shows how quickly an afternoon can turn to sh!t.
    I saw the initial left movement but wasn't sure if it was wheels locking up and then you went right with regained control. Like said before very well driven in a fast moving and stressful situation. Seeing footage like this makes me feel like getting a dash cam too.

Very good driving squire. Pretty sure my instinct would've been to go left. Your passenger sounded really calm as well. My missus would've been freakin' all over the place and blaming me!!!

Craftsman
    Sharp thinking and great reactions.. very nicely done.

Well done on not making a bad situation even worse, training paid off

Craftsman
    Cracking driving there. As above, think I'll do some dash cam research tomorrow. Unfortunately in this day and age they just make sense.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blimey, your missus is on the ball. It didn't seem to phase her at all. Her first thought was that you were okay and then she was thinking about the other occupants. Kudos to her. Calm as you like.

I drive nearly 1000+ miles a week sometimes its 1500 and a dash cam is now essential for driving, I wouldn't drive without one there are so many idiots out there I cant imagine being without mine. I had two accidents before getting my dash cam that would have proved weren't my fault and saved me my excess both times.

Glad you are all OK. Were the other cars occupants OK also? Great awareness and reactions from you there. I'd have problem been hit head on by the time I'd decided which way to go.

Also, fair play to your partner for her quick reaction. She sounds like she has a very soothing tone. Is she in the medical profession, or maybe a teacher of some sorts?

Nicely done.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Phew, a close call!

Of course, logically, it would be better for most drivers to get some training rather than a dash cam!

I was followed down the A43 into Northampton on a Friday afternoon by a gentleman who clearly had all manner of dashcam/gadgetry fixed to his windscreen. I know this because when I say followed I mean tailgated, for mile after mile after mile.

It was heavy traffic and really no point in making progress as you'd arrive 15 secs earlier at the next roundabout queue. Nevertheless I ensured there was a good gap in front of me should the car behind wish to overtake.

Eventually, his impatience got the better of him and he overtook me and also many of the cars in front. Eventually a car came the other way and he left it very late to chop back in to the line of traffic, causing the oncoming car to have to move left, and for the line of cars to have to brake.

I wondered if his own dashcam would have incriminated him had he hit anything.

I'd be interested in a rear facing camera too if I was going down the dashcam route.

Wow, good save. I'm sure your pulse will have been racing for a while afterwards.

Following a failed 'Crash for Cash' attempt on me about 18 months ago I had the Blackvue DR650S 2CH professionally fitted to my car. I haven't had a major incident since. However, a minor altercation was instantly diffused in a car park when a woman reversed into me at very slow speed (causing no damage to either vehicle). She started remonstrating that I had driven into her (my engine wasn't running at the time!) and she was calling the police. I showed her the video on my phone and told her to go ahead and call. From memory, I don't think she said another word. I'm sure that dashcams will become standard equipment very soon.
    Last edited by Skier; 30th May 2017 at 18:19.

Great driving Sir!

What pi55es me off in spades, especially as I mostly drive with my two kids in the back, is that one idiot's lack of concentration (mobile phone, lighting a fag, putting on make up) could have caused a four car wipe out. To hit the Renault at that speed because they hadn't noticed it slowing down, probably indicating, is criminal, and while I would be initially concerned for their safety, I would have been bloody angry with them straight after.

I see this kind of 5hite driving every day in our corner of the world and as a result my wife is the worse passenger in the world

Craftsman
    Blimey a close one. Definitely thinking of a dashcam. For example sister in law this week ... Car stops in front for no apparent reason. Decides to park at shop (it later transpired) throws it into reverse without looking and hits her. Apologetic at scene and says he'll pay for it. Then decides not to. She's somehow got an insurance policy with £500 excess! As it's her front his rear no witnesses she's stuffed really.

Blog Entries
    Very impressive reactions... I know I'd have just ploughed into the Citroen

With my one big crash (pile up in the M40 - written off car), I froze and slammed on the breaks. Steering didn't occur to me until after the airbags exploded...

Hello

Superb driving and very glad you're all ok.

I had a similar reaction when a large lorry nearly wiped me out on my bike!

Also, very nice to hear your wife or daughter suggest making sure the other drivers are ok.

Enjoy the rest of your bank holiday.

Best regards,

Ben

You sir, have cat like reflexes. Good job.

Craftsman
    Good job, great driving and reactions. Also nice to see you pulled over. It infuriates me the number of crashes I've seen and people just drive on!

Top reactions.Think I would have needed a spare pair of underpants.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Really impressed with your driving, your calmness and the concern for the other driver. My hat off to you and your wife.

Excellent driving, well done and well done to the good lady, calm and businesslike under pressure!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyjoe View Post
    I was in a 2017 Mercedes E class, and I'm damn sure the ABS and Stability control saved our skin.
    I think you're being way too modest, what's the saying 30% car 70% driver? Most drivers would not have avoided a crash, you did well...very well

I'm surprised nobody has asked what watch you were wearing!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has asked what watch you were wearing!
    That's for a new thread. 'What watch do you wear when avoiding disaster?'

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Good driving and a lucky escape. I'd love to know how the other driver didn't see a car slowing to turn off?

Texting?

I don't own a car and walk everywhere - so I'm often parallel to drivers on the pavement - a good third at least are texting or doing something else on their phones.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Blimey

Master

My really near miss (dash cam video)

Have to say it was a great piece of driving.

Events like these make a mockery of our driving lessons because they don't teach you about evasive manoeuvres with modern cars as a simple emergency stop will do in the test.

I got taken on a track day when I bought my Cayman S in 2006. Porsche usually use it once someone has stuck a deposit it down to help them spec the car, but as I'd purchased off spec a year before they take you out to show you what it can do.

At Millbrook banked circuit I got the Cayman up to 168mph (breaking the speed limit of 140mph as no helmets), went round the Alpine track, and then had a real life race driver do the same!

However the most real life and useful thing they did was have me drive at 120mph, hit the breaks as hard as I can and steer with ABS around cones. For lads like me having grown up in pre-abs cars, it's a vital skill and has saved me on at least one occasion when the natural reaction would have been to break hard and grip the wheel.

Modern machinery is amazing, but without the training to support it we won't get the most benefit.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    glad all okay, good reactions

There is no doubt that ABS and stability control are life savers these days. Saved my bacon once when a fool came straight out of a side road...

Great reactions and driving

F' me indeed - great control!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Great control and like others has made me think about getting a dash cam. Which one are you using? Any recommendations?

I notice your speed wasn't on the dash cam and that was always a concern as I sometimes drive a bit fast and wouldn't want that to play against me if there was an accident and the dash cam showed my speed.

I've also been put off by the trailing wires I've seen hanging down from the dash cam to the 12v socket for power. But if there are dash cams out there that avoid those problems and don't cost the earth, I'm interested.

Quote Originally Posted by dashfield View Post
    I've also been put off by the trailing wires I've seen hanging down from the dash cam to the 12v socket for power.
    I've managed to conceal the wire in my Honda Civic and formerly an Astra without too much trouble down to the 12v socket but will hard wire to the fuse box which is preferable.