closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Musings on weight loss and larger watches

Musings on weight loss and larger watches

Over the last year I've lost 20+lbs, and am now exactly the same weight as I was when I was 20 (I'm 57). I actually look a bit scrawny, I think, but having achieved what I thought was impossible without much difficulty - and given that the weight is staying off - I've accepted that I need to make some adjustments. I've spent a small bloody fortune on clothes that actually fit me now (anybody want some nice 40s suits?) but I've also realised that I don't wear my larger watches at all any more (by larger, I mean anything over 40mm). I think it's because my wrists and arms are a bit slimmer, as they now feel a bit larger than they did.

This was crystalised in my mind yesterday, when I managed to snag a 36mm beauty on SC that I've been looking for for over three years now. I didn't really have funds set aside for it and when I pondered whether or not to sell something to make way for it all the watches that sprung to mind were large; a couple at 45mm and another that's a substantial 43mm. I then realised that I don't wear any of them any more, and that if I moved them on everything that was left would be 36-40mm. (The only exception, actually, would be my Aerospace Night Mission, which is very slim and light and which is just too useful to think of selling.)

I suppose I'm just wondering if anyone else has acted on a similar thought process, and - if so - whether it proved to be a good/sustainable decision.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 28th May 2017 at 09:58.

Don't lose too much Tony! A boy's got to eat and it's always handy to have a little spare in case of a bad winter! You weren't exactly chubby before.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    I've sold all my 43mm plus watches in the past year. Around 20 of them. My wrists didn't change size, but my taste did. One morning I woke up and realised how ridiculous many looked on me. Examples include oris small seconds tt1, Steinhart Triton, Seiko sumo.

I applaud your reduction and conversion ;-) Let's buck the trend and restore sanity to the watch wearing world.... I have no regrets....
    PS I kept my citizen titanium radio at 44mm just to regulate all my others!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    Ive put weight on and i'm preferring smaller Watches these days, my sweet spot tended to be 42-44mm but now 40-42mm is the way i'm going, being over 6ft and 16st with Wrists over 7 1/2" i suppose i pull the bigger Watches off but my recently sold 44mm Breitling started to look big, and obviously don't wear as comfy!

I'm going through the exact same process.

I've lost nearly 2 stone this year and find that I am looking more at 36mm Datejusts to wear and binning the SD.

That said, I tried a 116234 the other day, and it did look small at 36mm.

But, is that because we are used to 40mm plus these days?

I've recently bought a couple of small (for me) watches, at 36mm. It was more to fulfil a dress watch requirement than an overall change in taste though. Still enjoy wearing my aquis at 43mm but think my sweet spot is 40-42 for sports watches and 36 for dress now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember - larger people are harder to kidnap!

Journeyman
    Same here, 22 lbs down since March. My two watches I wear regularly are a ceramic Sub and a Speedy Pro. As a reward to myself for the weight loss I've been thinking about buying a Reverso in the classic smaller size.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Think you've started a trend. I've lost weight and selling larger watches and replacing for 40mm size

Blog Entries
    I feel left out - I've only lost 4lb since Christmas. And actually got a new Omega POC this spring and own a Brietling B55 - so bucking the trend here!

I'd say wear whatever is comfortable. As the saying goes, "To thyself be true".

I am 3 stone lighter than I was in Feb and my watches look the same to me

Perhaps my wrists are the last place I lose it from :)

Congratulations on the weight loss and new attire. I've sold a lot of watches recently, larger ones like my IWC 3227-12 and smaller ones like my 36mm Aqua Terra. Both of these have gone:

36mm...

54mm...

Clearly one is much larger than the other measured across the face, but both wore okay as the proportions for each design were appropriate. Always a bit difficult to tell how a watch will wear from the case diameter, convenient though that single measurement is. The watches I have left are all 42mm (Speedmaster Pro) or under though. No weight loss, just bored of the bigger ones. As I mentioned of the Omega, "...part of the nature of a jewel is its compact quality"

I used to consider my wrist 7.5", and after some weight loss (4 stone over 18 months), I now reckon my wrist is 7.33". Not much of a difference. I have also worn a few smaller watches than I would have done previously, but I think this was purely down to my ever evolving WIS journey! My latest purchases have been a few big G's (48-50mm) and my Breitling Blackbird is presently getting the most wrist time (44mm I believe).
    I can certainly see that if during/after weight loss your wrist changes size dramatically, a smaller watch may be more pleasing on the eye.

I prefer smaller watches now, it's since I have started to get into more vintage watches or should I say watches that were popular before the big watch trend hit.

I have been rotating a few different 80's quartz with a TV dial Omega and when I put on a 40/42mm+ watch now it looks big and feels a little unwieldy, well done to everyone for losing the weight though, think it's something I have to look at as certain part of my wardrobe are now unwearable!

Perhaps we should have a some new categories in SC - FSOTDTWL or FSOTDTWG
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 28th May 2017 at 10:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    both wore okay as the proportions for each design were appropriate.
    Not sure design proportions make any difference if the lug to lug hight is more than the width of your wrist?

Master
    I must be another poor sod who's wrists don't change with weight gain or loss. Scrawny when I put on a bit of weight a few years back, still scrawny now after I'm back to my fighting weight!

I have noticed that my watch purchases have slowly being getting smaller, In order of purchase of the past few years:

Swatch Oscillation (41mm)
    Braun BN0021 (38mm)
    Omega AT Quartz (38.5mm)
    Omega 120m (36mm)
    Heuer Carrera GMT Re-Issue (35mm)
    Rolex 15200 (34mm)

So much so, that anything I have tried around the 40mm/41mm mark seems too big these days. I have tried on the Tudor North Flag, Ranger, Breitling Aerospace etc. The only one that fitted well was the Rolex Submariner (can't remember the ref) which was not so bad, due to the smaller dial size and relatively thin profile.
    Last edited by hoopsontoast; 28th May 2017 at 10:44.

Blog Entries
    36-38mm is my sweet spot

I do own a 6309 and strangely it's one of my most comfortable watches

Super Compressors are just about the perfect watch case for me @ 36mm... seem to wear them all the time at the moment

Hmm maybe I should eat like a horse and buy a big old breitling . My wrists are so skinny

Journeyman
    I lost a full inch on my wrists and went down a whole shoe size when I decided to make a lifestyle change and loose the weight. I definitely had watches that looked silly on me and sold them. Generally wear smaller now. Tis' strange how the weight comes off sometimes.

Master
    Well done Tony was this through a combination of regular excercising and diet?

I have also changed my collection to 38-40mm watches. I just find anything above 40mm and even some 40mm watches just doesn't look good on me anymore. So i see where you're coming from.

Yes, diet and exercise (though more a case of changing my eating habits than going on a conscious diet). I do exercise every day and I go for a short run four times a week... nothing excessive, although when I was younger I ran about 50 miles a week, which is quite a lot.

Anyway, I have a hint of a six pack again, which isn't bad for 57

Well done Tony, changing diet is harder than it sounds, especially when you form a habit over years. Time to tone into more muscle and maybe put on some weight due to it!

I am a believer that certain watches wear better at certain sizes. I.e. Panerais better at 44/47mm and the Explorer I at 36mm wears absolutely fine.

Wrist size wise, my biggest issue is swelling due to heat. I find I always need a half size more at least when its hot and sweaty. And unfortunately not many good bracelets offer decent micro adjustment. I suppose one reason I stick to straps.

Well done Tony - great effort.

When I joined here I was running around 30 miles a week and my weight was fine and I could pretty much eat what I wanted as I was doing enough to burn it off. At 6ft my BMI hitting 25 (and therefore over weight) was 13:03 - so I used to maintain my weight at 12:10 or below so that I was comfortably within the zone.

Recently the knees are bu**ered and I haven't been doing much exercise and the weight has gone up to 14:04, which officially makes me over weight and slightly uncomfortable as well.

I really need to get my act together and shift a stone and a half and get back to my fighting weight. Like others I don't really change wrist size. The face (chops) is normally the first to show any gain or loss followed by the tum and arse.

If any watches over 40mm have to go it could curtains for the FF and the Speedy Tuesday could be a catch and release. Maybe I need to come up with a cunning plan to turn those two into a white dial Ceramic Daytona in the coming months

It is a bit difficult to do anything this week as the wife is off for a week and I did promise to take her for a pub crawl and a curry mid week, but maybe after that start the big push.

No pain no gain, no guts no glory. Problem is, too many guts at this time.

Master
    What looks right to me depends not just on wrist size, but on the whole picture - weight, height, arms, hands, and clothing. A change in weight could certiainly change things. 36-40mm is precisely my sweet spot too, and anything over 40mm will tend to overhang. I've been enjoying what I'd think of as larger watches lately due to wearing more blazers, but for me the older sized 16570 Explorer II is what I'd call a large watch. Congratulations on making the change anyway, I should follow your example really.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daver1966 View Post
    Remember - larger people are harder to kidnap!
    You've missed a bit out:

Larger people are harder to kidnap. Stay safe, eat cake 🎂

Congratulations on your weight loss.

Haven't gone through major weight changes recently but it stands to reason that smaller watches might be more suitable after a significant weight loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    You've missed a bit out:

Larger people are harder to kidnap. Stay safe, eat cake 
    Only two rules in life: eat less or buy bigger trousers

Not sure my wrists change size at all with weight loss. For some reason I'm reminded of the occasional sighting of extremely overweight people (normally women tbh) wearing a watch that looks so tight it must be cutting off the blood supply. What's that all about?!?!

I agree with you, I've lost 50kg since last August, with 15" loss around the waist, 1 size less in shoes and 5" off my neck size.

I have spent way too much money on new clothes, including my first two made to measure suits.
    I've sold most of my large watches, I've still got a Pam 560, but the Missus is eying this one up!

Worst part is I've lost weight in my fingers, so need to get my wedding ring re-sized (BIG hunk of silver too).

But, best decision I ever made, my health has improved greatly, I've gone from 22 pill and 2 injections a day to 4 pills and an oral disperable tab only with no more diabetes or high blood pressure.
    Hoping to drop the oral tab soon as it's for acid-reflux, but so far I haven't experienced this (side effect of surgery).

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    I agree with you, I've lost 50kg since last August, with 15" loss around the waist, 1 size less in shoes and 5" off my neck size.

I have spent way too much money on new clothes, including my first two made to measure suits.
    I've sold most of my large watches, I've still got a Pam 560, but the Missus is eying this one up!

Worst part is I've lost weight in my fingers, so need to get my wedding ring re-sized (BIG hunk of silver too).

But, best decision I ever made, my health has improved greatly, I've gone from 22 pill and 2 injections a day to 4 pills and an oral disperable tab only with no more diabetes or high blood pressure.
    Hoping to drop the oral tab soon as it's for acid-reflux, but so far I haven't experienced this (side effect of surgery).
    Wow, that's impressive.
    Best wishes for continued good health.

Master

Kudos. What an achievement!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    I've also lost 20 kgs this year and had to remove links and cut rubbers shorter. I haven't sold anything because of this though; I still can't stand anything under 43 mm

That's seriously impressive, well done!

Good to see so many members sorting out their weight, and there are some real success stories here!

Just for clarity, I don't have any issue at all with regard to large watches; it's all relative, and what may not work on my wrist could easily on someone bigger. That said, it does seem that the tide is starting to turn, and that fashion is going somewhat full circle.

Craftsman
    Well done on the weight loss.
    My control of weight and health kick started back in early 80's when I decided I didn't want sand kicking in my face, so wanted to "bulk up"
    I am 6ft 2 but naturally on the slim side and my first "expensive watch" was a 38mm Tag 2000 Chronograph.
    My choice was to get into weight training and I set up a home gym as at the time I worked long hours and was studying to be an accountant.
    Well I am now 57 semi retired and have been weight training 4 times a week ever since.
    This has had the effect of keeping my waist size at 34" , but expanding my wrist size to 8"!
    As a result any watch under 43mm on me tends to look on the small size!
    So has been stated many times on this forum always best to wear a watch that best suits your frame, not to twee and not too large.

Blog Entries
    Well done Tony and folk it's not easy and needs real change of mind set to achieve this losses.

I am 51 and dropped a stone since Christmas to 12st through sensible eating and grafting on the two new extensions at home. Funny thing is I have regular check ups at the Docs due to medication from a brain hemorrhage and surgery 16 years ago and last week she said I need to concentrate on weight loss as I need to drop half a stone more. You can't win......

My collection ranges from 36mm to 44mm and cannot see me moving the big ones on as it gives me real options depending on my mood and occasion. To have the collection focussed at one end of the size spectrum for me would be a backwards step.

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Well done Tony and folk it's not easy and needs real change of mind set to achieve this losses.

I am 51 and dropped a stone since Christmas to 12st through sensible eating and grafting on the two new extensions at home. Funny thing is I have regular check ups at the Docs due to medication from a brain hemorrhage and surgery 16 years ago and last week she said I need to concentrate on weight loss as I need to drop half a stone more. You can't win......

My collection ranges from 36mm to 44mm and cannot see me moving the big ones on as it gives me real options depending on my mood and occasion. To have the collection focussed at one end of the size spectrum for me would be a backwards step.

Pitch
    Good point. What I wear depends on what I fancy at the time. My small collection ranges from 28 to 47mm in size and from dress to everyday to sports to diver. Sometimes too much choice tho.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Good stuff, Tony. Question is, will you be able to apply the same level of impressive will power with the funds from selling the 346 and the FF...?

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Good stuff, Tony. Question is, will you be able to apply the same level of impressive will power with the funds from selling the 346 and the FF...?
    Actually, the B-1 is about to go as well. I'm replacing the three with the two lovely watches I snagged over the last couple of days (the SBGW033 at 36mm, and the Kal. 04.0 at 38mm) and as far as I'm concerned that's it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yes, diet and exercise (though more a case of changing my eating habits than going on a conscious diet). I do exercise every day and I go for a short run four times a week... nothing excessive, although when I was younger I ran about 50 miles a week, which is quite a lot.

Anyway, I have a hint of a six pack again, which isn't bad for 57
    Congrats Tony. I have started running again (after a short 21 year break). If you fancy a jog around the Parkrun in Aldenham sometime, let me know!

Now that I no longer drink alcohol (Drs orders) my weight has stabilised. Before this it was all over the place - up and down like a yo-yo. It could vary by up to 3 stone though my wrists never seemed to change much. I think that this is due to different body shapes and metabolisms - some people seem to put weight on all over whilst with others its focused on the abdomen and neck & face. I appear to be in the latter group.

Case height seems more critical to me over case diameter though 42mm is probably my upper limit.

Actually, the B-1 is about to go as well. I'm replacing the three with the two lovely watches I snagged over the last couple of days (the SBGW033 at 36mm, and the Kal. 04.0 at 38mm) and as far as I'm concerned that's it!
    Famous last words!

Master
    Sadly, due to having a bit of a knackered knee, ironically this was due to a fairly serious injury doing karate, my weight has ballooned recently. Oh yes, the semi-addiction to nuts, cake, crisps and sweets does not help either !

Still, this means that I am now bucking the trend here a bit and looking for BIGGER watches.

In fact I am slightly gutted that I missed LTF's Blancpain FF NR !

You can always buy his lovely Panerai!

Master
    Tony. Is there still a place in your collection for the 16600 Sea-Dweller you acquired recently?

Master
    You can always buy his lovely Panerai!
    Hi Tony

Was tempted actually but have an Explorer incoming and have a Breguet reserved, which I hope to get shortly, and am considering a DSSD, possibly a D-Blue.

Yours is probably my favourite PAM but the DSSD is calling !

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Tony. Is there still a place in your collection for the 16600 Sea-Dweller you acquired recently?
    Yes, that's here for the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Congrats Tony. I have started running again (after a short 21 year break). If you fancy a jog around the Parkrun in Aldenham sometime, let me know!
    That could be fun

Craftsman
    I can relate to this.
    In the past 2 years I have lost 3 1/2 stone and I have had the same problem. Watches I use to love I now think look a bit silly on me. Although, saying that, I am currently trying to get use to my first 38mm watch which I am having a hard time adapting too.
    I fingers also became slimmer, unfortunately because my wedding ring is made of Cobalt and can't be resized, I have had to buy another one 2 sizes smaller.