Gone bust, then?

<later>

Oic, computers fubar'd.

Not gone bust yet.

Outsourcing works so well...
    Last edited by markrlondon; 27th May 2017 at 19:33. Reason: Updated

How's the share price looking ?

Master
    This kind of thing does make you think again about the recent decision to go to a completely "virtual" control tower at London city. Computers are great, but when they go wrong...

Craftsman
    Sound like a cyber attack to me.

Surely they must have the best failover/DR going if it was a genuine IT issue.

Master
    Reports are suggesting that the IT failure and ensuing chaos resulted from a power failure. Hard to believe in this day and age where mission-critical systems are designed with multi-zone redundancy. It seems they either skimped on their IT investment or failed to adequately test fail over.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    This kind of thing does make you think again about the recent decision to go to a completely "virtual" control tower at London city. Computers are great, but when they go wrong...

Business often only sees the benefits to the cheaper option

Cleaners pulled the plug again?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Surely whoever the IT is outsourced to is liable ? Hope their insurance is good.

Master
    Somebody pullout the plug to use a desk fan....sounds inconceivable that its due to power failure but there is nowt stranger than fact

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    It seems they either skimped on their IT investment or failed to adequately test fail over.
    The problem with really big systems is that it's almost impossible to adequately test failover. If you were designing it from scratch, it would be much easier, but in practice you always have to graft it onto what's there, and it has to stay running all the time you're working on it! Much like that video of them changing the tyres on the car while they're driving along.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My dad used to maintain the mainframe for BA at Heathrow years ago.
    I'd like to confirm though, he has retired so this isn't his fault...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Surely whoever the IT is outsourced to is liable ? Hope their insurance is good.
    I saw a quote somewhere saying they outsourced a lot of the IT to India in the last year or so

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    The problem with really big systems is that it's almost impossible to adequately test failover. If you were designing it from scratch, it would be much easier, but in practice you always have to graft it onto what's there, and it has to stay running all the time you're working on it! Much like that video of them changing the tyres on the car while they're driving along.
    Sorry disagree - having architected initiatives that have implemented fail over for big legacy systems, although it is much easier and cheaper with new build.

Everything about BA makes me avoid them like the plague. I only fly with them if theres no other option. I could only really comment about the company in the Bear Pit.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    Everything about BA makes me avoid them like the plague. I only fly with them if theres no other option. I could only really comment about the company in the Bear Pit.
    If you think they're bad, you should try Air India
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Cleaners pulled the plug again?
    Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    Somebody pullout the plug to use a desk fan....sounds inconceivable that its due to power failure but there is nowt stranger than fact
    All flights were cancelled from London's Heathrow and Gatwick airports on Saturday due to what was described as a "global systems outage" blamed on a power supply issue.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Gotta love the interviews.............

"We weren't offered any water.............."

Poor soul!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Gotta love the interviews.............
    :-)

"Devastated...." Because she couldn't fly to Corfu on time.
    http://news.sky.com/video/devastated...throw-10895356

Master
    I don't watch the news, because I can't stand modern reporting, but I just stumbled across BBC News and watched a few minutes, and two things struck me;

1) why on earth is this the big lead story of the day, being given full headline coverage on BBC News. Surely it's a "footnote on page 9" sort of Story?

2) interview with one woman who has been at the airport since 2pm yesterday (17 hours) - "we've just been left to fend for ourselves. We've had to sleep on the floor on our beach towels". For goodness sake, it's hardly Lord of the Flies.

At that point I switched off, grumbling at myself for putting on the news when I had already sworn off it for life for exactly this reason.

Those poor drowning refugees don't know how good they've got it (TFIC!)

British Airways

Well, I'm supposed to be in Cyprus with my family today but our flight was cancelled yesterday after we had checked in. There are no reasonable alternatives to get out there. I have EasyJet flights back which I'm going to lose, villa I'm going to lose. I'll be amazed if the travel insurance pays out anything from previous experiences. It'll cost me thousands, it was our family holiday for the year, feeling pretty sad about the whole thing tbh.

Can confirm the airport experience was chaotic with poor communication and lots of quite angry people although under the circumstances the staff that did make an effort to tell us what was going on were commendably good.

Master
    The company's chief executive Alex Cruz had said it was believed "the root cause was a power supply issue".

What a load of @rse....

I guess if the cause was malignant, there would be a strong case for not making it public.

To be honest - a lot of times when I am flying, I think: "it's amazing how this whole ticketing/baggage system(s) work........"

People get so used to things going their way, with booking, travelling - all done online, that when something throws a spanner in the wotzits - they become indignant, complaining arses. When the runways are snowed in, planes frozen - they don't understand why they can't get away for their skiing holiday. "But we booked it 4 weeks ago! We have taken time off work!"

You can guarantee that BA were doing everything possible to recover the situation, but giving out information to each individual who has their own particular questions and gripes is an impossibility. People want cheap flights, and that is what they have - they have not paid for an individual concierge.

"We weren't offered any water!" Oh puleeez!
    Last edited by blackal; 28th May 2017 at 09:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Well, I'm supposed to be in Cyprus with my family today but our flight was cancelled yesterday after we had checked in. There are no reasonable alternatives to get out there. I have EasyJet flights back which I'm going to lose, villa I'm going to lose. I'll be amazed if the travel insurance pays out anything from previous experiences. It'll cost me thousands, it was our family holiday for the year, feeling pretty sad about the whole thing tbh.
    So, previous experience didn't prompt you to get travel insurance which suited your needs, from a company with a proven track record?

Friend of a friend in the industry writes

"The mother of all cock ups began with the formation of IAG and letting this (chief exec) cut free meals, etc....the cost cutting is worse than RyanAir and have made BA a laughing...totally laughing worldwide stock :(

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    So, previous experience didn't prompt you to get travel insurance which suited your needs, from a company with a proven track record?
    Hi blackal. I have a 5* rated insurance from my NatWest Black account. It's just that in my experience insurance providers are utter shysters that will use any excuse to avoid paying. I will keep you informed.

Hi blackal. I have a 5* rated insurance from my NatWest Black account. It's just that in my experience insurance providers are utter shysters that will use any excuse to avoid paying. I will keep you informed.
    I will be interested to hear how you get on.

In the motorcycle-riding travel insurance sphere - some people find out that the insurance they have with their bank account, doesn't cover them adequately. Advice from a person who underwrites for a living, has been: "There is a reason that bank account insurance is free".

I'm not saying that is relevant to your situation.

Good luck

al

Master
    Once upon a time BA was the world's favourite airline. Or so they said. Where did it all go wrong?

Flying into LHR in a few hours, on BA. Am I right to expect it to be even more chaotic than normal, or within usual tolerances?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Flying into LHR in a few hours, on BA. Am I right to expect it to be even more chaotic than normal, or within usual tolerances?
    I think incoming flights will probably have normal service on arrival.

Master
    I try to avoid flying BA where possible except when there are no other airlines going directly to that destination or they are much cheaper. This is despite living fairly close to LHR/LCY where they operate the majority of flights. I haven't worked out what advantage they have over other airlines since the start of the cost cutting era.

Flying into LHR in a few hours, on BA.
    They're bringing you in to head up the enquiry?

JAL not an option? Sadly BA is a last resort for me these days.

Now JAL. That used to be one of my favourites, many moons ago.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    You might also think that BA might have learnt a lesson from BP and understand that you can't outsource reputational risk. I daresay Willie will still get his bonus even if this is the 2nd debacle he's been ultimately responsible for.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    The company's chief executive Alex Cruz had said it was believed "the root cause was a power supply issue".

What an @rse....
    I've taken the liberty of correcting that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    They're bringing you in to head up the enquiry?
    Last time I flew BA (not long ago) they ran out of food in business. Then they ran out water. As I'd had none to that point, the crack logistics team had seemingly packed fewer than one bottle per customer, which one might have assumed to have been a reasonable metric. The attendant sheepishly offered me her own (half-consumed) bottle, and apologised that they'd had to cut back on expenses. The expense... of water. I was merely glad to land without the pilot resignedly informing us of a troubling absence of fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    JAL not an option? Sadly BA is a last resort for me these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Now JAL. That used to be one of my favourites, many moons ago.
    I'd take JAL or ANA or Singapore or Thai over BA any day. But this is company business where the dreaded phrase "Lowest Logical Airfare" comes into play. BA manage to squeeze in 8 seats across a 777 in business class. EIGHT. Fully double the amount Air Canada fit to the same 'plane. This leads to low airfares for BA and seemingly good business. But demands a certain expertise in applied yoga for passengers attempting to get into their seat across the legs of the person next to them, and as above, I don't think their galley space has caught up.

Air Canada, by the way, I confidently anoint the current best of the crop of long haul business. The seat has its own dedicated touch screen, offering such options as "firmness of mattress", mood lighting, and independent back and shoulder massages. While a separate touch screen remote is used for the 20" monitor. This remote being able to display the flight map continuously while you watch a film on the main screen, and enjoy their supplied noise-cancelling headphones. Excellent food and service. In all, not just a superior business product but superior to JAL First, which is some achievement.

I think incoming flights will probably have normal service on arrival.
    I look forward to the surly reception and my passport being refused by the electronic gates as always. By the time I've endured BA "service" and LHR Arrivals, I feel absolutely ready to take on the joys of the UK

I don't actively avoid BA - I just avoid flying via Gatwick or Heathrow, if humanly possible.

Schiphol every time.
    Paris CDG isn't bad now either

each of them are true "hubs".

Had a Biz Class flight with BA to Hong Kong several years ago - got upgraded to First Class. Now THAT was nice. :)

Al

Last time I came through LHR only three of the twenty or so electronic gates were working.
    Welcome back to blighty TT.
    If you're up Norfolk way give us a shout.

Last time I flew BA (not long ago) they ran out of food in business. Then they ran out water. As I'd had none to that point, the crack logistics team had seemingly packed fewer than one bottle per customer, which one might have assumed to have been a reasonable metric. The attendant sheepishly offered me her own (half-consumed) bottle, and apologised that they'd had to cut back on expenses. The expense... of water. I was merely glad to land without the pilot resignedly informing us of a troubling absence of fuel.

I'd take JAL or ANA or Singapore or Thai over BA any day. But this is company business where the dreaded phrase "Lowest Logical Airfare" comes into play. BA manage to squeeze in 8 seats across a 777 in business class. EIGHT. Fully double the amount Air Canada fit to the same 'plane. This leads to low airfares for BA and seemingly good business. But demands a certain expertise in applied yoga for passengers attempting to get into their seat across the legs of the person next to them, and as above, I don't think their galley space has caught up.

Air Canada, by the way, I confidently anoint the current best of the crop of long haul business. The seat has its own dedicated touch screen, offering such options as "firmness of mattress", mood lighting, and independent back and shoulder massages. While a separate touch screen remote is used for the 20" monitor. This remote being able to display the flight map continuously while you watch a film on the main screen, and enjoy their supplied noise-cancelling headphones. Excellent food and service. In all, not just a superior business product but superior to JAL First, which is some achievement.

I look forward to the surly reception and my passport being refused by the electronic gates as always. By the time I've endured BA "service" and LHR Arrivals, I feel absolutely ready to take on the joys of the UK
    Ha! Yes, well, quite.

I can confirm that nobody is picking up the phone in BA customer services, should you have a problem. Sincere best wishes for a smooth transit.

Craftsman
    Haven't they had computer problems in the past?
    I went to see "The Cookers" a jazz group in Gateshead late last year and they had had flight problems with BA from Germany.
    Credit to the musos,they dumped their kit at the hotel,changed and basically came straight on stage about an hour late but having to do sound checks in the first 2 or 3 numbers.
    Not bad for fellows whose average age is probably 60+.

Ha! Yes, well, quite.

I can confirm that nobody is picking up the phone in BA customer services, should you have a problem

Computer is now up, and says no

"improve the delay" is an interesting form of words...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    A point those advocating autonomous vehicles might want to take on board.......

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

British Airways

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    "improve the delay" is an interesting form of words...
    A bit like reducing the budget deficit
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 29th May 2017 at 08:36.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Banned
    For once I'm glad I boarded a low cost airline last night this

Seikoboy

Master
    I've flown BA a few times mainly to the states and they have always been late-

Master
    Flew to Tokyo with JAL last year, return with BA. No contest. Won't use BA again if there is an alternative. Will vote with my feet as others should do.

Master

Can confirm the airport experience was chaotic with poor communication and lots of quite angry people although under the circumstances the staff that did make an effort to tell us what was going on were commendably good.
    Don't forget to claim your EU261 compensation for each of the travellers in your party and you'll get a full refund from BA for the flights on top of that. You shouldn't have any problems claiming the cost of the villa from your insurers, this really is a clear cut case. Speak to them ASAP.

(From a long-suffering BA gold card holder!)

Unhappy BA Flight

Oh,

I'm flying BA from Heathrow to Mumbai tomorrow.........(hopefully).

Andy