closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Yacht-Master 116622

Master

Yacht-Master 116622

When you spend a lot of time on watch forums and too much time thinking about watches, you quickly learn what is popular - and what is not.

Some watches are popular because they are damn good at what they do - and some are popular because they hold their value. Draw a venn diagram of those two groups of watches and you will find steel sports Rolex in the intersection - particularly the Submariner, GMT-Master, Daytona etc.

One Rolex that probably does not fit with that is the Yacht-Master. It's too shiny, not waterproof enough, too expensive, lacks history, and it depreciates too much.

So I bought one.

In the context of my preferences, my collection, my lifestyle, my age and my state of mind - it just seems like a next logical step. And I like it. I have to tell you though... I don't own a yacht, and I am more of a Jack than a Master.

The case is 40mm and it has curved lugs so it fits very well and it's very comfortable on the wrist. It is not too tall (about 12mm) and has a lug-to-lug of about 48mm. 100m WR, triplock crown and a bidirectional 120 click bezel, together with the 3135 movement complete the technical picture.

With the steel case / platinum bezel, this watch was originally introduced with a platinum (light grey) dial. A blue dial was introduced in 2012 and in 2016, the dark rhodium (dark grey) dial appeared.

I always felt the platinum dial lacked contrast so it was a choice between rhodium and blue. In the end I chose blue - because I liked it more - even if it is a bit less subtle than the rhodium.

In much of the publicity material the blue is portrayed as very bright - for example, this picture from the Rolex website:

To be honest, if the watch really looked like that, I doubt I'd have gone for it. However, in real life, the blue appears darker most of the time. For sure, in bright light the blue is lighter, but most of the time - at least where I live - it's more muted.

Anyway, I got one. I sold some nice watches to get it. I'm happy with it, and right now, I intend it to be a keeper.

Here's some pictures:

I had one of these briefly and really like them. Great photos, by the way.

Great watches and massively underrated I think. I bought a new and stickered up one off the forum for £2k less than RRP which is worn daily by my partner.

Master
    Love those. I had a TT with white dial many years ago which I will always regret selling. That is gorgeous with the blue dial. Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    One of the rolexs that I really like despite not being so popular as GMT and Sub...
    Nice pics.
    Enjoy it and thanks for share.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Wearing mine today (platinum dial) I love it and for some reason to me seems more understated than other Rolex models maybe because they're not seen as often in the wild. Either way stunning watch wear it in good health

Nice watch and lovely pics. Congratulations on the incoming.

I like your logic of buying it because it doesn't conform to the norm. Absolutely stunning dial, especially with the red bits. Lovely watch, good choice and enjoy.

Congratulations Richard - a splendid watch that ticks all of the boxes. The depreciation is irrelevant; buy a watch to wear and enjoy I say. :)

Craftsman
    My wife tried on a midsize silver dial & loved it. I like the red hand that really pops unfortunately for her I couldn't warrant the extra 2.5k so she got the mid Tudor snowflake but would have preferred the yachtmaster as I felt quality. Unfortunately she married a tight arse.

Great photos

Master
    I have always liked the Yachtmaster and always wanted the platinum dial, but love that blue dial too. At some point I will go for one...
    Rolex blue dials are great!

Very nice these and certainly on my wanted list

Great pics also

Blog Entries
    Love it, I really need to get one of those.
    Great pictures .

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had one of the earlier rhodium dial Yacthmasters and although it was beautiful to behold, your comment about lack of contrast is spot on. The blue looks absolutely gorgeous with plenty of contrast to make it a viable option. Love it!

Herald the rise of the Yacht-Masters.

Stunning looking watch, recently went of the platinum dial older 5 digit reference. Love it. Just looking for an updated clasp to make it the perfect SS Rolex.

Your photos are amazing. Enjoy

Craftsman
    Very lovely and great pics! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    Herald the rise of the Yacht-Masters.

Stunning looking watch, recently went [for] the platinum dial older 5 digit reference. Love it. Just looking for an updated clasp to make it the perfect SS Rolex.
    To my eyes, the 5-digit reference Yacht-Master is more elegant than the chunkier 6-digit. However, 5 or 6, platinum, rhodium or blue dials, they're all good.

Given the chance, I'd have the lot.

I think the Yacht-Master's time is yet to come. It's a better looking than the Sub but with all the waterproofing most people need.

^ and more comfortable.

Craftsman
    Well I think they are bloody lovely!

Enjoy it and good for you for getting what you fancied.

Master
    Thanks for all the positive comments. It seems the YM is more popular than i imagined.

Craftsman
    My favourite feature of the YachtMaster is the all-steel bezel with raised markers - I'm surprised so few watches feature this, and to me, it really does look better than the Sub bezel. So far, however, Rolex haven't produced a dial/hand combination that I'd like - the rhodium dial is nice, but feels too timid due to the blue seconds hand, the platinum makes the watch look too uniform, and I don't like blue dials in general. It's a shame it's not a more popular watch, Rolex could go all creative with the dials the way they do on the Datejust, with the addition of a painted seconds hand to bring even more variation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Great watches and massively underrated I think. I bought a new and stickered up one off the forum for £2k less than RRP which is worn daily by my partner.
    I really like this but has never really been on my radar until reading this. In regards to the 2nd hand value what can you pick them up for? Ally you mentioned 2K but that must have been some time ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    I really like this but has never really been on my radar until reading this. In regards to the 2nd hand value what can you pick them up for? Ally you mentioned 2K but that must have been some time ago?

If you read the post again you will see the price quoted was £2,000 "less" then RRP.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    If you read the post again you will see the price quoted was £2,000 "less" then RRP.
    Ta. Early in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by lasz View Post
    My favourite feature of the YachtMaster is the all-steel bezel with raised markers - I'm surprised so few watches feature this, and to me, it really does look better than the Sub bezel.

I think the issue for some is that the bezel is platinum, therefore looks nice, but is difficult to refinish and expensive to replace.

Aluminium inserts are still probably the ideal material for bezels.

Craftsman
    Oh, I see - the entire thing is platinum? The concern is quite understandable then in case of the YachtMaster ... but I still think the design idea is unjustly under-represented. I don't see a single major downside - you can still drill it to insert a lume pip if required, and after the watch has been worn a few times, dirt particles settle around the raised areas, especially if the depressed areas are satinated, and the bezel becomes very legible, too. And I'm speaking from experience here - my lowly Lorenz diver chronograph has a bezel like that, and I like it a lot.

Craftsman
    Brilliant watch.
    The watch id get if I had the budget.
    It's like the anti Rolex, not popular to the masses, a bit different. If Rolex brought this out as a new model at Basel, with a different name and a load of hype / marketing it would be a completely different story......because it's bloody brilliant

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmer42 View Post
    Brilliant watch.
    The watch id get if I had the budget.
    It's like the anti Rolex, not popular to the masses, a bit different. If Rolex brought this out as a new model at Basel, with a different name and a load of hype / marketing it would be a completely different story......because it's bloody brilliant
    I agree with the above. Not popular with the masses makes the YM a desirable piece for some.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
    I agree with the above. Not popular with the masses makes the YM a desirable piece for some.
    Certainly one of the reasons I bought mine on the whole a very understated Rolex imo I do keep looking for a decent priced mid sized for the Mrs

Master
    I agree, it's quite understated, but then again, I think all 3 of mine are at the subtle end of the Rolex spectrum:

The blue dial looks fab.