closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Do you have a price limit,depending on brand

Do you have a price limit,depending on brand

Does price matter ,what brand your looking at,there's loads of watch brands ,but would you pay say 15k for an omega or breitling,or would you only spend that on a patek.
    Obviously if it precious metal the prices go way high,anyway to the point I like the look of thesenow you can get them preowned a bit cheaper but it's still an expensive watch,and I'm not sure I should spend that much on a panerai,or should I be looking more at AP ,PP or Rolex ,I find when your looking in this price bracket ,you start to lean towards what value it will hold and not what you really want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely agree with you. That is one way overpriced watch IMHO. You could buy two sport Rolex for the same money.

Panerais are pricey, not overpriced.
    There are many Panerais in that price bracket. It is not an anamoly.
    If you like it enough, buy it preowned.
    When looking at price ceiling for any given brand, best to consider preowned prices.
    Yes, one can buy a hundred Seikos for that piece or a couple of Rolexes but wouldn't be the same.
    Langdalematt, there is always massdrop:-)
    Last edited by RAJEN; 27th May 2017 at 19:53.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Panerais are pricey, not overpriced.
    There are many Panerais in that piece bracket. It is not an anamoly.
    If you like it enough, buy it preowned.
    When looking at price ceiling for any given brand, best to consider preowned prices.
    Yes, one can buy a hundred Seikos for that piece or a couple of Rolexes but wouldn't be the same.
    Langdalematt, there is always massdrop:-)
    That's a problem I have ,panerai are my favourite brand ,I suppose there's worst problems to have

Craftsman
    I've bought pieces in the past that I knew were overpriced because I really liked them, but there's always an implicit limit which I become aware of once it's been crossed. Interestingly, it seems it's based on my brand preference rather than objective criteria, e.g. quality of the movement. The right case shape (or bracelet design for that matter) with the right name on it might make me pay twice or more money for one watch in regard to another which may be just as well made.

Master
    I wouldn't spend 15k on a Breitling or Omega for certain so would agree with ththis sentiment there. I also would agree at that price range I would considering how much I would lose. A submersible is always going to have a limited market for resale so residuals would be painful. However limited edition Panerais can prove to hold value better than most.

I tried on a submersible today (PAM00025) and was surprised how wearable it was - titanium and 44mm

I'm not sure I could identify a strict price limit for any given brand - however I think I would recognise a price point that I considered did not represent value for money. That of course is entirely subjective and thus of no practical value to anyone but me.

Take the new bronze Panerai as an example - I think it's a fabulous looking watch but when you compare it to the first Bronzo it smacks of profiteering and so I'm put off immediately...

Simon

Yes, I have a price limit for each brand.
    It's just a matter of time...

No, not really - just a question of how desirable I find a given model and how much I feel I can afford at the moment [ with one notable exception - Panerai : £0.00 ].

Master
    Completely agree, wouldn't pay that much for an Omega or Breitling. Odd though, what watch is worth that much and why? I wanted a Hublot for ages but no way I would pay retail so waited for one I liked to come up second hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Yes, I have a price limit for each brand.
    Agreed, plus there are only a few makers from whom I'll even consider buying new, instead of sourcing on the secondary market. Panerai is not one of these few.

Master
    I think its more about the watch rather than brand - that said I always consider residual value.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Buying a Panerai new, you have to be sure that you're going to keep it and wear it. Depreciation on non LE models can be pretty killer.
    Probably best to keep an eye out for used. But, I don't really have a ceiling for them in the same way that I would others. As raj says, they can be pricey but not necessarily overpriced and by the look of that one you're paying for materials (ti and ceramics) plus a flyback chrono and wr. That's never going to be base steel money :)