closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tri-Compax Watches

Master

Tri-Compax Watches

Hello all,

I have long been fascinated by these style of watches and am most keen to acquire one.

As I start looking, I wondered if anyone could offer advice, experience or general comments.

Are there any modern, "affordable" models by any manufacturer, or is this style exclusive to Universal Geneva?

Any member photos welcome!

(photo pinched from Google Image search)

For the sake of clarity here is the definition of Tri-Compax from the horse's mouth:

The purpose of posting this is to correct the common misconception that Tri-Compax means 3 sub-dials.

Unfortunately you are going to have to be extraordinarily lucky or have fairly deep pockets now that the Universal Geneve examples have been hyped by Hoodwinkee Hodinkee. I don't know about other makers; perhaps JLC?

Craftsman
    What do they mean by "special indicator to fix a given hour"? Is that a rotating bezel with hour rather than minute markers, or is it a function of the movement?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by lasz View Post
    What do they mean by "special indicator to fix a given hour"? Is that a rotating bezel with hour rather than minute markers, or is it a function of the movement?
    Have a look at the subdial at 12 (not my pic):

The hands of this subiald have no connection to the movement and thus don't move while the watch runs. This subdial serves just as a reminder for a certain time.

Master

Too right!!

[

MQUOTE=Carlton-Browne;4364401]For the sake of clarity here is the definition of Tri-Compax from the horse's mouth:

The purpose of posting this is to correct the common misconception that Tri-Compax means 3 sub-dials.

Unfortunately you are going to have to be extraordinarily lucky or have fairly deep pockets now that the Universal Geneve examples have been hyped by Hoodwinkee Hodinkee. I don't know about other makers; perhaps JLC?
    [/QUOTE]

Too right!!!

Missed out on a stunner at an auction approx 8years ago and even then the black bezel Universal Tri Compax went for £2600 (I had £2500 to bid with plus fees and someone beat me😢)
    That same watch because of Hod would set you back £10k plus now and that's if you could actually find one?!?!?

Good luck with your search !!

Chris

Subchris, I enjoy your posts but those interrobangs are a murder:-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Oku-Lele View Post
    Have a look at the subdial at 12 (not my pic):

The hands of this subiald have no connection to the movement and thus don't move while the watch runs. This subdial serves just as a reminder for a certain time.
    Hey, that's pretty cool, and I haven't seen it before in a watch - a rare feature indeed. Thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subchris View Post

Missed out on a stunner at an auction approx 8years ago and even then the black bezel Universal Tri Compax went for £2600 (I had £2500 to bid with plus fees and someone beat me)
    That same watch because of Hod would set you back £10k plus now and that's if you could actually find one?!?!?

Good luck with your search !!

Chris
    Ah well, perhaps the search has ended before it ever began!

I'd guessed the UG vintage pieces might be very expensive, but had hoped as with most other watches, there might be a cheaper "homage" to try.

Leonidas did something very similar - a triple calendar chrono. Here's one on Chrono24 for a bit over £3k.

http://www.chrono24.co.uk/leonidas/t...-id4091458.htm
    Last edited by Caruso; 28th May 2017 at 12:09.

Quote Originally Posted by lasz View Post
    Hey, that's pretty cool, and I haven't seen it before in a watch - a rare feature indeed. Thanks.
    I'm glad you like it; the complication was explained by somebody on the UG forum a short while ago and seemed to have been greeted with collective, virtual shoulder-shrugging.

Craftsman
    No, I totally get it, sometimes you need a fixed reference time. In watches with an alarm feature, you could use that, but otherwise, this Aero-Compax feature is more precise than a 12 h bezel for one thing, and sometimes you just don't want to go the bezel way design-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I'm glad you like it; the complication was explained by somebody on the UG forum a short while ago and seemed to have been greeted with collective, virtual shoulder-shrugging.
    It is not a particularly complicated complication.

If you can live without moon phase complication, this old Doxa offers good value and doesn't look ba either.
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Ultra-Rare-Do...vip=true&rt=nc

Sent from my SM-T230 using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Ah well, perhaps the search has ended before it ever began!

I'd guessed the UG vintage pieces might be very expensive, but had hoped as with most other watches, there might be a cheaper "homage" to try.
    Well, there are. It just depends on how low will you go?
    Zeppelin has a moonphase but with quartz movement.
    And Parnis...

How much do you want to spend for such a watch and how picky do you are concerning originality?

Apprentice
    a short search on ebay showed several other examples, some with date, some not, square, round, steel, gold plated, what you want

Forsining (chinese)
    www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292121802363

Vintage:
    www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122508075719

Emporio Armani
    www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272647555113

Poljot
    www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162500508169

Frederique Constant
    www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142293866338

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Leonidas did something very similar - a triple calendar chrono. Here's one on Chrono24 for a bit over £3k.

http://www.chrono24.co.uk/leonidas/t...-id4091458.htm
    High price for a watch with most probably a redial.

Based on an article in the FT, Mulco might be another to watch for (though my suspicion is the watch was made by UG).

https://www.ft.com/content/1485af56-...5-0dd2cb31823a

Edit: disregard what I wrote above; as it lacks a complete calendar it isn't even a Tri-Compax.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 3rd June 2017 at 08:31.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Dunhill Millenuim triple date with moon phase and Chrono function. Worth a look. It has. Zenith 410 El Primero movement