closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC watches - what's the story

Master

CWC watches - what's the story

Am I missing something regarding the pricing of these watches, are the mechanical movements chronometres? Or are they just trading on the name.

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    Am I missing something regarding the pricing of these watches, are the mechanical movements chronometres? Or are they just trading on the name.
    I don't understand the pricing at all. The watches appear sought after because of the military connection and so command a premium yet an issued G10 can be bought for around 40 quid while a new civvie version is £170. I know that isn't exactly a like for like comparison, of course a sparkly new watch is going to cost more than a battered old one, but paradoxically it's the provenance and desireability of the battered old one that makes the sparkly new one command such ridiculous prices. Beats me.

The pricing is, indeed, bananas. I was all up for a G10 Desert Storm until I realised they are £299.99 RRP.

A big part of the attraction is the fixed bars. Whilst you pay more up front you save yourself the angst and unending cost of a search for the perfect strap.

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    A big part of the attraction is the fixed bars. Whilst you pay more up front you save yourself the angst and unending cost of a search for the perfect strap.
    Tell that to anyone with a drawer full of NATO straps, Zulu straps, clippy end straps, Perlons.

I believe they've seen the prices of military watches explode in recent times (largely due to the Hodinkee effect but other reasons are available) and have decided "we''ll be having some of that!" This is also evidenced by some of the straps with rather dubious military connections that they've taken to charge an arm and a leg for (I wonder if we should call this the MWC effect?).

They don't use chronometer movements and the finish of movements, cases, dials etc. is both basic and functional.

I'm happy with my chronograph at the price I paid, but even then you could get a better finished Oris chrono for the same money. The current prices are hard to swallow.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Tell that to anyone with a drawer full of NATO straps, Zulu straps, clippy end straps, Perlons.
    More fool them; there are only 3 worth considering

Apprentice
    I want to get a CWC as I like the look and the fact that it is quartz, but new ones are quite expensive, and the used aren't cheap either...

Just wanted to add to this that Marathon are doing the same thing (pricewise).

The Marathon General Purpose is the closest USA/Canada thing to CWC G10 except its a plastic case, looks and feels very basic and is supplied in a carboard sleeve (albeit with H3).

The Marathon is a £200 watch these days.

I would add to this my CWC G10 (date) is a watch that I always go back to time after time. They were closer to £100 when I bought mine 10years ago. I haven't a bad word to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    The pricing is, indeed, bananas. I was all up for a G10 Desert Storm until I realised they are £299.99 RRP.
    It's the 99p that kills it for for me
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    ...Or are they just trading on the name.
    Just trading on the name.

They are completely overpriced, I hated the case shape of the divers watch, hated the cushion shaped W10 and thought the G10 was a cheap Quartz watch a few years ago...
    Then I bought one...
    The original chronos are a parts watch but they have a charm...
    The L lume on the auto diver is cr@p... The bezel doesn't line up 100%...
    I hated Quartz watches until I bought a SBS on SC.
    For some strange reason I have them all now and they all bring a smile to my face every time I wear one....
    The SBS 'could' be my one watch.
    My forum alter ego should be CWC lover
    They have taken the place of Sinn's as my favourite brand.

Master
    The reason I asked is the price of a chronograph on SC(and I'm not trying to pee on anyone's sales post) is close to the price of an Omega Seamaster chronometre reduced watch, which I just don't understand.

Blog Entries
    Pricing aside a G10 is a lovely piece for any collection, I have not been without one for the past 7 years.

The Diver i purchased with a knacked crystal has been with Silvermans for eight weeks now so hopefully I will see it back very soon, can't wait to have it back.

Pitch