closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch setting off shop alarms!

Watch setting off shop alarms!

Is it possible for your watch to set off shop alarms on the entry or exit to a shop?

I seem to be setting a lot of them off and think I have corroborated it with one of my watches!! Bizarre I know but not sure what else it could be!

Is it a TAG?

Master

Watch setting off shop alarms!

You haven't worn same jeans/shoes or any other clothing when the alarm has set off?

Edit. I had a tag similar to this inside of my jeans and it was setting alarms in several shops.
    Last edited by EJL25; 26th May 2017 at 13:55.

Master
    Check everything you wear. My mother-in-law had the same problem. Asked her what she had new, her purse. Checked it through carefully and a security tab was present, deep in the corner of one section. Would never have found it normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Is it a TAG?
    Boom Tish !

Master
    Blog Entries
    They can look like this too:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysagood View Post
    Is it possible for your watch to set off shop alarms on the entry or exit to a shop?

I seem to be setting a lot of them off and think I have corroborated it with one of my watches!! Bizarre I know but not sure what else it could be!
    And have you tried walking through the security scanner without the watch on?

That would seem to be the logical way to falsify your hypothesis.

Had you paid for the watch prior to leaving the shop?

I'm pretty sure it's the watch, it's the only constant when going through, although it's not always all of the shops, only some, I'm assuming they work on different frequencies etc?

Next time it happens I'll take it off and walk back through....

Question was really is it actually possible? I.e does a mechanical watch emit a frequency or signal that has the potential to set off the alarms?

It's unlikely, but not completely out of the question. Most security tags contain a little radio antenna which picks up and re-radiates the signal from the scanner you walk through. Anything which can resonate at radio frequencies, like coils of metal wire, could in theory set it off.

I'm pretty sure it's the watch, it's the only constant when going through, although it's not always all of the shops, only some, I'm assuming they work on different frequencies etc?

Next time it happens I'll take it off and walk back through....

Question was really is it actually possible? I.e does a mechanical watch emit a frequency or signal that has the potential to set off the alarms?
    Two posts in - are you getting closer to actually telling us what watch/model you believe is setting off the alarms?

If you are leaving everyone to guess the above............ we could be here a while.........

Apprentice
    Computer hard drives (the ones with magnetic platters, not the SSD variety) are also adept at setting off alarms at store entrances. Dunno why...

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Two posts in - are you getting closer to actually telling us what watch/model you believe is setting off the alarms?

If you are leaving everyone to guess the above............ we could be here a while.........
    What this fella said^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Didn't think it mattered what the watch actually is, just whether it was possible, do they emit a frequency etc?

But seeing as you want to know it's a titanium AP ROO.

Didn't think it mattered what the watch actually is, just whether it was possible, do they emit a frequency etc?
    Already answered in post #10.

I used to have this when carrying two phones. I had two iPhone 6 one for work and one personal, seemed to set most of them off.

my alarm fob for the shop used to do it all the time, right ballache!

I am sure a mechanical watch by itself would not set off store alarm. There must be a tag somewhere.

Blog Entries
    Are you wearing a Breitling Emergency Mission?

It seems unlikely watches will set off alarms else it would be a much more prevelant issue.