closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Teenagers, watches, stream of consciousness.

Teenagers, watches, stream of consciousness.

The girlfriend's son is 15 on Monday. She asked him what he wants for his birthday and he showed her a pic of a Hugo Boss watch. Rose gold plated, rose gold Roman Numerals at 12, 3, 6 and 9 and straight indices at the other hours, hands that are too short, plasticky croc-print strap, it's a f*****g horror of a thing.

I tried to educate him, explained the difference between movements, crystals, the difference between real watch manufacturers and designer brands, the distinction between a solid case and a plated case. I showed him my Sinn U1 and once he'd had a 5 second look he nonchalantly tossed it aside. Had it been something a little less robust he'd have been nonchalantly tossed out the window. I showed him a few pics of my collection and he said he didn't like any of them.

None of it mattered, his mate has an Armani watch and "I just want a designer watch because it's cool."

I gave up.

Craftsman
    That is quite nasty but it's just the way youths are. When I was that age all I was rocking an Armani and Adidas. It wasn't till after my teens I got some taste!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    The girlfriend's son is 15 on Monday. She asked him what he wants for his birthday and he showed her a pic of a Hugo Boss watch. Rose gold plated, rose gold Roman Numerals at 12, 3, 6 and 9 and straight indices at the other hours, hands that are too short, plasticky croc-print strap, it's a f*****g horror of a thing.

I tried to educate him, explained the difference between movements, crystals, the difference between real watch manufacturers and designer brands, the distinction between a solid case and a plated case. I showed him my Sinn U1 and once he'd had a 5 second look he nonchalantly tossed it aside. Had it been something a little less robust he'd have been nonchalantly tossed out the window. I showed him a few pics of my collection and he said he didn't like any of them.

None of it mattered, his mate has an Armani watch and "I just want a designer watch because it's cool."

I gave up.

In my opinion it's good that he even wants to wear a watch, so many kids that age don't, if he stays interested in them his tastes may develop and he may go on to buy more watches. At that age they want what they think is cool, (and really me and you wear the watches we think are cool from the perspective of movement, heritage, design, so we are influenced by our peers too) and they don't have much if any disposable income, and seiko and citizen are probably in the uncool bracket as they are not fashion watches!

I agree, its good that he wants to wear a watch!

Master
    I always knew I was different.

First watch was a timex manual wind, followed by various times ana-digi (marathon I think), at 16 had a Seiko 5 auto. And even at that age I wanted a Rolex Day-Date on President bracelet.

Then again I wore pastel linen suits and wanted a daytona soft top................................. Miami Vice has a lot to answer for!!

I know, I'd just rather he had something that's actually decent quality and won't look like crap in a year. But hey, his choice.

I know, I'd just rather he had something that's actually decent quality and won't look like crap in a year. But hey, his choice.
    You can't impose your ideas on young people.

He'll come to his own conclusions (or not) about watches.

As others have said, at least he's interested enough to want to WEAR a watch.

The obsession with brands always baffles me. I won't say I don't have anything branded, but I certainly don't go out of my way to buy something from such and such a brand.

Still, while that is a pretty horrible watch, is the desire for a Boss 'designer' watch, really that much different from the adulation for anything and everything from Rolex we see daily on here?

At least it's only a waste of a hundred quid or so (I presume) - He could be wanting a £1200 G-Shock!

M.

The prefrontal cortex needs another 10 years to mature. Basically he's an ape. :)

He's probably thinking the same about you only much worse (and probably in a language that we'll never understand!).

I mean, why waste thousands on such ugly pieces of crap that don't even have a battery?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

The obsession with brands always baffles me. I won't say I don't have anything branded, but I certainly don't go out of my way to buy something from such and such a brand.

Still, while that is a pretty horrible watch, is the desire for a Boss 'designer' watch, really that much different from the adulation for anything and everything from Rolex we see daily on here?

At least it's only a waste of a hundred quid or so (I presume) - He could be wanting a £1200 G-Shock!

M.
    I guess if we are really honest with ourselves Rolex, Omega etc are fashion watches from the sense that a huge amount of their value is not in the making but in the 'image' of the watch. The only reason the Boss watch isn't £5 quid is the name on the front, and the reason Rolexes are so expensive is mostly the name too.

Master
    I was in a similar situation not so long ago when a friend wanted some advice about a watch for his teenager. I think I got through a little bit with the line "if you're going to buy a watch you should buy one from a company that only makes watches" but it's hard when kids and teens are so obsessed with fashion brands.

SGR

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    (and probably in a language that we'll never understand!)

Ha! A few weeks ago he had a couple of friends over. When they left he said to me and his mum "they think you're sound", then added with real sincerity "do you know what that means?"

Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    I guess if we are really honest with ourselves Rolex, Omega etc are fashion watches from the sense that a huge amount of their value is not in the making but in the 'image' of the watch. The only reason the Boss watch isn't £5 quid is the name on the front, and the reason Rolexes are so expensive is mostly the name too.
    Nail on the head there. It's impossible to justify a Rolex if you take away the 'brand' value. No one would spend that kind of money if it didn't have 'Rolex' on the dial. I wonder what the market would pay for a de-branded BLNR for example?

Master
    When he gets it, tell him how cool he looks, that you love it & it suits him. Maybe even say you might get one... then watch him drop it like a turd.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Nail on the head there. It's impossible to justify a Rolex if you take away the 'brand' value. No one would spend that kind of money if it didn't have 'Rolex' on the dial. I wonder what the market would pay for a de-branded BLNR for example?
    Only the Rolex accountants, execs know exactly how much the actual manufacturing/labour costs are, so we won't know the markup on those. Obviously Rolex spends lots of dollars on advertising and marketing but they are not things that improve the workmanship of a watch per se. They would still be expensive I think but perhaps half the price for a steel sports? When you see what quality smaller micro brands can put out in the £1k range I think perhaps £3k might get you to Rolex level of finish and quality control.
    Of course you can slap Alpha on your watch face and make a BLNR clone for £55, from 10 feet probably hard to notice it's not a Rolex :D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    I always knew I was different.

First watch was a timex manual wind, followed by various times ana-digi (marathon I think), at 16 had a Seiko 5 auto. And even at that age I wanted a Rolex Day-Date on President bracelet.

Then again I wore pastel linen suits and wanted a daytona soft top................................. Miami Vice has a lot to answer for!!
    Did you roll up the sleeves of those suits??

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Only the Rolex accountants, execs know exactly how much the actual manufacturing/labour costs are, so we won't know the markup on those. Obviously Rolex spends lots of dollars on advertising and marketing but they are not things that improve the workmanship of a watch per se. They would still be expensive I think but perhaps half the price for a steel sports? When you see what quality smaller micro brands can put out in the £1k range I think perhaps £3k might get you to Rolex level of finish and quality control.
    Of course you can slap Alpha on your watch face and make a BLNR clone for £55, from 10 feet probably hard to notice it's not a Rolex :D
    I bet the manufacturing cost of a £6.5k RRP BLNR is nowhere near £3k. The sales mark up alone is (at least) 35%!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post
    The prefrontal cortex needs another 10 years to mature. Basically he's an ape. :)
    Exactly. Anyone under 25 who isn't an idiot is the exception.

I would, obviously, kill to be under 25.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesianbriggs View Post
    Exactly. Anyone under 25 who isn't an idiot is the exception.

I would, obviously, kill to be under 25.

M

Craftsman

I gave up.
    Not sure if my economics are right, but I think I might actually benefit from this: if there's an entire generation of watch buyers with a preference for designer brands, maybe the low-tier watch-only brands, i.e. "decent quartz" brands, which is my market, will slash their prices. Believe me, it's not just Rolex, one can also get tired of Victorinox, Tissot and the like charging upwards of €500 for quartz chronographs that are nicely designed but really not all that special in most other regards.

That's literally the worst watch I've ever seen, but I agree it's good that he's actually interested in wearing a watch. Taste takes a little while to develop.

I am not surprised.
    I think 17-18 is probably the earliest that WISdom affliction starts.
    I am sure there are some like Nunya who are precocious.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    He's probably thinking the same about you only much worse (and probably in a language that we'll never understand!).

I mean, why waste thousands on such ugly pieces of crap that don't even have a battery?
    Agreed with all of the above.

Just be pleased he wants a watch at all. In 15-20+ years time his tastes will have matured (although what that will mean by then, who knows).

Craftsman
    I'd try to divert his attention first to a different design and maybe to a 'Swiss made' designer brand as a start.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I showed him a few pics of my collection and he said he didn't like any of them.

Sorry - but I couldn't help but smile when I read that!

So they went shopping this afternoon, came home with this. It isn't bad to be honest, a decent enough thing for a lad who doesn't care about the nuances of watch nerdery. Certainly better than that rose gold thing.

Bracelet is perhaps made by Vostok.

Looks like an Alibaba special.

I think the highlight of my day is hearing him ask "what's the wee box with the number in it for?"

Looks a lot like a Sekonda I got when I was 14 (the first one I mean).

The second one looks pretty OK to me.
    Last edited by alfat33; 26th May 2017 at 17:37.

That's a very short second hand! Seriously though, apart from the quality and the brand, it's actually a pretty sober and classic style he's chosen to be his one watch one he could quite easily develop on with any of the major and minor proper watch brands afterwards. Beats a garish Casio anyway which of course have their place but not as your only watch!

Both of mine wear Apple watches and appear to have no interest in the real thing.

Craftsman

Most teens think what do you need a watch for when you can tell the time with your I-phone

Brian

Blog Entries
    My wife bought me a tender Armani tank wAtch and although it's a "fashionista" related watch it's still a very understated piece. Tobacco brown dial . No second hand , Roman numerals and no date . It houses a cheap Chinese movement I assume.
    It's been through hell and back and she bought me it before we married: now this watch is no means on a WIS radar by any stretch but I will always keep it over any other watch I own.

But as OP is up against the tide of youth and blindness I applaud his tenacity and empathise.

I have had multiple arguments with my 14 year old daughter about "Michael Kors" and the movements used. Total waste of breath. Tried to get her to like a bit of Casio f-19w in the colour schemes in the early days ... "no I want an Apple Watch".

My first proper watches got given to me by my uncle -a king seiko hi beat, a few skeleton movement unknowns and other swatch watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'd just buy him it. I reckon in a couple of years his tastes will have changed and he'll be into more serious watches. As others have previously said, I'd be happy that he's into watches at all as a modern teenager.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido-K View Post
    I'd just buy him it. I reckon in a couple of years his tastes will have changed and he'll be into more serious watches. As others have previously said, I'd be happy that he's into watches at all as a modern teenager.

I suppose your right it's a start and most kids use there mobiles instead of a wristwatch

Master
    Watches have made a big comeback in the past year amongst teen males. Around half my male pupils are sporting them. The fashion may disappear again.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Watches have made a big comeback in the past year amongst teen males. Around half my male pupils are sporting them. The fashion may disappear again.

Really? I'm not seeing that reflected in the various schools I teach in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Really? I'm not seeing that reflected in the various schools I teach in.
    I have 130 pupils. See most of them daily so maybe I have more chance to notice. 5 years ago I may have typically seen 3 watches in a class. Now I would say that's typically about 10+.

All teenage boys below the age of 30 are just vile. I prefer dogs.

My 8 year old is after a Casio! More than happy to get one for him :)

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    My 12 year old currently has a G-Shock and a Seiko 5....... there is some hope.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    My 12 year old currently has a G-Shock and a Seiko 5....... there is some hope.
    Indeed,there is!
    May he continue when he morphs into a teenager and beyond.
    I only have a daughter -older than a teenager now -who suggested I scout out a mechanical or heq watch for her to buy only for her to change her mind a few weeks later in favour of a handbag.
    Still,it got me back into watches again.
    As one or two posters have said small furry animals can be preferred to teenagers.