closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Password Manager - Recommendations

Blog Entries

Password Manager - Recommendations

Chaps.

I subscribed to 1Password a month ago and my free trial is now up. I have been very impressed on iOS and it certainly has made my digital life far far more organised and easier.

So before I jump in and start paying is anyone using anything else that may be worth a look.

Ta
    Pitch

I like e-wallet, but there may be others which are better, hard to know. Works for me, across Win/ios.

there was an extensive thread on the subject not too long ago - could be worth a search?

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ewal...11718305?mt=12

Al

[Found it......... http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=ewallet ]
    Last edited by blackal; 26th May 2017 at 07:04.

Lastpass.

Comes with free browser extentions plus an app for your mobile phone, which enables you to log into the corresponding apps. Has all security features in the free version already, no need to pay for anything.

Master
    I went with 1Password. I like it because it allows you to use your own cloud storage solution to store and sync your data. Been using for a few years now and no problems

I like 1Password.

If you're a BT customer, you get Intel's TrueKey free.

I've been using 1Password for years. It is better than LastPass in my experience (work provides me with that). I recently subscribed to 1Password for families which has been great for sharing with my wife. This week they introduced travel mode which allows you to purge your passwords when travelling.

I am a big fan of Keepass. Clients are available for most systems and its free. While you can use cloud storage to host your password file I choose not to. This means I still sync the password file every now and then but it gives me some more piece of mind. When it's not in the cloud it will be harder to hack is my line of thinking.

In practice this works fine, once you have all passwords in a file it's just about the 1-5 extra passwords I gain every month that I need to add and sync. Little bit of extra hassle weighs against the risk of lastpass/1password getting hacked for me.

Lastpass - good security checks built in and allows for 2FA (I use a yubikey).

Password Manager - Recommendations

Keeper, app on all platforms as well as Chrome extension. Syncs across all devices too.
    Last edited by robcuk; 26th May 2017 at 12:30.

Been using lastpass for a few years and it's pretty solid.

Another vote for LastPass. Works on all of my devices really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lastpass here - really good, in my opinion - but what do I know? :-)

Cheers,

Mark C

Craftsman
    Just put Dashlane on my system, seems to work very well.......

Another Lastpass user here. It's free so nothing to lose by giving it a go. I'm a BT customer and until mentioned above I had no idea that I could use True Key free. (I use just 2 of the inclusive extras as they're described: BT E-mail & BT WiFi). I have no reason to change at this time.

I rely heavily on a password manager (700+ logins) and I use 1Password. It works with every browser and syncs across all devices.

+1 for 1Password
    (Hardcore user with multiple work / home / project vaults syncing over icloud / Dropbox)

Craftsman
    Another one for Lastpass - can't go wrong with $12 per year.

Journeyman
    Last Pass = Awesomeness

Journeyman
    I was going to weigh in on this and stopped and thought... "do I want a public forum to know what password management platform I use?" Heh

It is a single source Of password info... if compromised could be reallllly bad. Granted the likelihood is small. But if you can know which platform a certain person uses... maybe makes it easier?

I don't know.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    if you can know which platform a certain person uses... maybe makes it easier?
    I don't think so. You can't crack their passwords unless you actually have access to their computer, and if you have that, you'll be able to see what password manager they use.

Alternatively, if you have access to their encrypted database in the cloud, if it's encrypted with a strong key, you won't get into it, and if it's a weak key, it doesn't matter which password manager is involved.

Craftsman
    I use Lastpass, although not for any financial passwords, don't think I'd trust any manager for those.

LP has had security issues however I was impressed with their quick response to them, also find the software works well on all platforms I use (iphone/android/mac/linux/windows).

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I was going to weigh in on this and stopped and thought... "do I want a public forum to know what password management platform I use?" Heh

It is a single source Of password info... if compromised could be reallllly bad. Granted the likelihood is small. But if you can know which platform a certain person uses... maybe makes it easier?

I don't know.

Just a thought.
    If you are able to a) identify my real identity, b) identify and steal my blob from lastpass and then c) circumvent their security PLUS yubikey then you frankly should be rewarded with my passwords.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    If you are able to a) identify my real identity, b) identify and steal my blob from lastpass and then c) circumvent their security PLUS yubikey then you frankly should be rewarded with my passwords.
    touché

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Lastpass.

Comes with free browser extentions plus an app for your mobile phone, which enables you to log into the corresponding apps. Has all security features in the free version already, no need to pay for anything.
    Seconded.

Blog Entries
    Many thanks chaps, I will give the suggested a look.

ATB

Pitch

Master
    I also use Lastpass & would point out that in addition to storing passwords it also has a very useful feature called Secure Notes. I use these to enter useful data but there is also the ability to attach files; I scan documents such as insurance certificates, opticians prescriptions, passports etc. I travel a lot & it's really useful to have all the information I might need in an emergency readily to hand. You could do this using Dropbox or similar but Lastpass makes it easy to keep everything in one place. I find it so useful that i discounted some of the alternatives because they couldn't offer the same functionality.

I do use 2FA via a Yubikey to try & keep everything secure.

Dashlane on the imac, seems ok...

Can I ask those with iOS devices why you don't just use the built in password manager ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    Can I ask those with iOS devices why you don't just use the built in password manager ?
    A bit of a faff to get to the password, and IMO less secure.

Rob