closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Just ordered my first Casio watch , any one owned one of these ?

Banned

Just ordered my first Casio watch , any one owned one of these ?

Ive just ordered a G Shock GW-5000-1JF , due to arrive in the next couple of days ! Never owned a casio before as I'm a mechanical watch only
    Type of guy but read lots of reviews and decided I needed to own at least one digital watch and been told this is the one to get . Any views ? I'd
    Be really interested to hear your views

Seikoboy

Banned
    IMG_1817.JPG

Seikoboy

Banned
    This is the one by the way .
    It's a Japan only model , which really appeals to
    Me

Seikoboy

It's the only watch you really need. You buy the first one and soon you'll be knee deep in the things!

Master
    Never had that model and have just sold my last G Shock but always seem to come back to them. Great every day wears. Really like the look of that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    It's the only watch you really need. You buy the first one and soon you'll be knee deep in the things!

I have a collection of Seiko watches as per my user name casio's have never appealed to me , however as a
    Lover of Japanese watches I'd like
    To get into some of the more exclusive g shocks out there

Seikoboy

Master
    Mine says hi.

Put it on a combi bracelet as is my daily beater.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Mine says hi.

Put it on a combi bracelet as is my daily beater.

Wow , that's lovely ! Any wrist shots ?

Seikoboy

I have the similar GW-M5610-1ER and I am utterly smitten. I was worried that it may be too big but it's fine. I am loving casio digitals at the minute. I now have a three watch collection covering all bases (G-Shock for all round beater and atomic precision, AW-80 world time for work where I need to use the count down timer and see current time simultaneously and super slim F-91 W for dress/wedding gigs). Entire collection cost me around £82. I have a BLNR on order but I'm actually considering using that money to pay part of my mortgage off instead. Six and a half large on a watch seems ridiculous when you can get so much for so little with these casios.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post
    Wow , that's lovely ! Any wrist shots ?

Seikoboy
    Sorry no but it wears really comfy.

These 2 are still asleep

I have a collection of Seiko watches as per my user name casio's have never appealed to me , however as a
    Lover of Japanese watches I'd like
    To get into some of the more exclusive g shocks out there

Seikoboy
    Have a look in here..

https://outlet.casio.co.uk/g-shock#/...0&pageNumber=3

Banned
    Thanks I'll have a look . Although I've already ordered one

Seikoboy

Banned
    These 2 are still asleep

Looks like they need a resurrection !

Seikoboy

These 2 are still asleep

I see that you keep my favourite front and centre.
    Owned a stack of G's over the years, and a couple of earlier Gulfmasters, but this one is fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I see that you keep my favourite front and centre.
    If I don't keep it in the middle, I can't shut the lid.

Master
    I recently did the same thing - bought the 'posh' G-Shock as a beater and a change from my mechanicals. The was about 6 weeks ago - haven't worn anything else since! Which is a shame as I've got a great collection even if I do say so myself!

I have a 5000 and love it, wear it most days to the gym and also for gardening and DIY. Reminds me of my first watch in the 80s but has great build quality. Prefer it to the other 5610 but then that is 90% of the watch for 10% of the price as others have said!

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Prefer it to the other 5610 but then that is 90% of the watch for 10% of the price as others have said!
    What does the 5000 have that the 5610 doesn't out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    What does the 5000 have that the 5610 doesn't out of interest?
    DLC caseback that you can glimpse from the side and back, more weighty, perhaps a clearer screen, more flexible better quality strap that you can however buy separately. Just feels better quality.

DLC caseback that you can glimpse from the side and back, more weighty, perhaps a clearer screen, more flexible better quality strap that you can however buy separately. Just feels better quality.
    The whole 5000 case is made of DLC steel and the caseback is a sturdy screw-down, whereas a 5610 has a resin case and the caseback is a thin plate fastened with four tiny screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    The whole 5000 case is made of DLC steel and the caseback is a sturdy screw-down, whereas a 5610 has a resin case and the caseback is a thin plate fastened with four tiny screws.
    Thanks guys. On the face of it's difficult to justify the extra £ for the 5000 (the case and caseback on the 5610 feels more than solid enough imo) but I probably will anyway. Absolutely love these square G-Shocks.

They do seem to pop up on the SC quite frequently and the prices for used models can be more easily justified.

Master
    Hi Seikoboy, i too got the GW5000 for my one and only digital watch. Did a lot of research and was a toss up between the £90 5610 or this JDM version which I think justifies the higher price. It looks no different but you know you're wearing a special piece.

Having said that I'm still wearing my Seiko 5 most often. Only gripe about the Casio is that I can't read the time unless looking directly on top of it whereas analogue watches you only need a glimpse to read the time.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Thanks guys. On the face of it's difficult to justify the extra £ for the 5000 (the case and caseback on the 5610 feels more than solid enough imo) but I probably will anyway. Absolutely love these square G-Shocks.
    For sure the 5000 is a step up, but the 5610s as you say are more than enough. I still don't have a 5000 in my G collection, too many expensive things ahead on my list

It is a slippery world the G world....

Here's mine:

It's a great watch. I normally wear it on weekends, but sometimes also with a suit for work - when I'm in an adventurous mood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 5610 with the 5000 strap. Strap is definitely softer, but I imagine you would notice that more on the 5000 as that is a heavier watch and the strap keeps it in place. Quite happy with the 5610.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The "Origins" is the quintessential G-Shock:

I own far more expensive/functional/rarer G-Shocks, but this one stands out.

Excellent choice, OP!

Regards,
    Adam

I reviewed the GW-5000 here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...man-vs-GW-5000

Short version: I thought it was about three times too expensive for what you get, and the buttons are too fiddly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    I reviewed the GW-5000 here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...man-vs-GW-5000

Short version: I thought it was about three times too expensive for what you get, and the buttons are too fiddly.

thanks i'll have a look at this review

Master

Remember reading that review and it was excellent.

I have both the 5610 and the 5000 and they both have the same module so both have the same functions.In most cases the 5610 is better VFM at around the £90 mark and it's hard to justify the 5000 at close to £250 with import charges etc although they can be had on SC for under £200.

However the 5000 does feel better on the wrist due to it's weight.As i always wear mine 5610 and 5000 on a combi bracelet i would always choose the 5000 but as for the extra cost only the individual can decide on that.

As for the Rangeman i have always preferred the Casio PRW range to compare with the 5610/5000 and the new ones i.e. PRW6100fc etc are really slim and look great.

As i have said i thought you review was great and even though you thought the 5000 was overpriced ( and probably is) it was your review and others than i decided i needed to try one.

Nice review, thanks. As much as I love the G-Shock I really can't get too excited about the huge non square options. They are just too big for my tastes. Shame cos the onboard tech, whilst utterly superfluous for me in practical terms, does appeal and I don't really have anywhere to go beyond the 5000 which, as you say, really doesn't appear worth the extra dosh over my 5610.

Journeyman
    Casio amw 320 japan made assymetric pushers circa 1990 as worn by Arnie and Denzel. Quality is as good as Seiko. Big comfortable case rock solid fantastic vfm... Should get a good one 40quid. I have three.

Banned
    Thanks guys , some really good points and a great review

Seikoboy

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    I recently did the same thing - bought the 'posh' G-Shock as a beater and a change from my mechanicals. The was about 6 weeks ago - haven't worn anything else since! Which is a shame as I've got a great collection even if I do say so myself!
    This the problem I'm facing too. Since I got my GW-M5610 - I never had a Casio before and it was an itch I had to scratch - everything else became somewhat irrelevant. I can't explain it. I think it's the combination of comfort, accuracy and not having to change dates every other month or time for DST or not to be worried about it stopping. I love it.

Banned
    So this has arrived in the uk and I'm on my way back from Greece , so will have my hands on this in the morning , however does anyone know where I can buy a short length strap for my puny 5.75" wrist ? I have the floppy bit of the strap which over hangs and catches on everything . It's the reason I only wear steel bracelets !

So basically I'm Looking for a a short length rubber strap for a Casio gw-5000 , it can be original Seiko or an aftermarket type . Don't mind

Banned
    It's arrived ! Pics to follow

Seikoboy

Banned

Banned
    Super super comfy , very light and the first rubber strap that doesn't massively hang off my puny wrists
    First reactions are it's an excellent watch , never thought I'd buy a Casio g shock as I'm a pure mechanical watch man

Seikoboy

Master
    Nice one seikoboy! Excellent choice and looks great :) I use mine to set the time on all the others - its truly the watch for others to follow.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Nice one seikoboy! Excellent choice and looks great :) I use mine to set the time on all the others - its truly the watch for others to follow.
    The primary function of a G Shock.

Every collection should have a G Shock, I wouldn't be without my 5600.

any excuse - old pic - bars now polished back to the metal

i didn't get on with the resin strap - much better on the combi bracelet

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Thanks , I'm really chuffed by it

Seikoboy

Personally I am a Casio fan, but never of the models with resin on the case. Had a lot of the stainless models but am down to only three, but 3 special ones nevertheless...

Craftsman
    I love these squares, it looks perfect on you man!

Banned

GMT will be relegated back to its box as this Casio will now be on my wrist

Seikoboy