closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Right price for a used Tudor Ranger

Master

Right price for a used Tudor Ranger

I started a cash raising exercise a few months ago for this exact watch.
    Now, help me with the correct price for a used Ranger.
    The watch has the box and two Tudor straps but no papers.
    It has a few marks for strap changing.
    The seller is asking 1250 euros for it.
    Is this a good price?

Here are a few photos

Unless the seller knows what he's doing, it always concerns me when I'm shown a picture with the caseback removed. You don't know what's been touched in there and no doubt any water-resistance has been compromised.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    Unless the seller knows what he's doing, it always concerns me when I'm shown a picture with the caseback removed. You don't know what's been touched in there and no doubt any water-resistance has been compromised.
    My thoughts exactly. He says a watchmaker opened it but even if he didn't tampered with the movement the WR is gone.

I'd be looking for a complete set, and preferably on the bracelet. Not sure what I paid for mine, but it's mint compared to that one and complete - they have sold on here for less than I've seen elsewhere.

The WR will be fine if the o-ring, and threads, are fine and it was put back on correctly.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    What would be a good price for this one?
    I know a complete set with paper will be easier to sell but I am looking for a cheaper one. I'll have to sell all the watches I have left if I buy this one.

One sold full set on the leather strap on here for £1050, and another for £1400 on steel bracelet - I think those prices look reasonable.

I wouldnt overly worry about the papers or the WR tbh. Price he is asking is around £1k after € conversion which is very cheap for one with two straps. Mildly concerned about the lugs? Have they been polished? You don't show the side of the case. The lugs and machined sides are where careless wearing leaves its marks... mine here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Avoid that and look for a full set
    The bracelet on these are great, and so is the marvelous strap that you made me

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

Postscript... I don't think those two straps are from a ranger. There is the camo NATO (comes with all) the Steel bracelet, a tan bund strap and I think that's it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I would only buy brand new from an AD or 2nd hand from this website.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I am starting to think that the forum is the best way. He says he's the second owner but there are no papers and there is also no cam strap.
    Last edited by adirian; 27th May 2017 at 09:54.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    One sold full set on the leather strap on here for £1050, and another for £1400 on steel bracelet - I think those prices look reasonable.
    I was the buyer for one of those - the watch was only a couple of months old and complete with all papers and box. A very reasonable price and a great seller.

In the case of the original post, I would say a great price, but unknown seller, no papers, no original strap and questionable provenance. For the sake of a few hundred pounds I would keep looking around and avoid that one.

(Additionally, I do wish people selling watches - mainly eBay, it has to be said - would stop removing the back of the watch to display the movement.)
    Last edited by UKMike; 27th May 2017 at 10:25.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    (Additionally, I do wish people selling watches - mainly eBay, it has to be said - would stop removing the back of the watch to display the movement.)
    Amen to that.

Quote Originally Posted by adirian View Post
    Amen to that.
    Until you buy a Rolex with something Chinese inside . Also a good movement photo can reveal a lot about the state of a movement which is after all the heart of the watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Until you buy a Rolex with something Chinese inside . Also a good movement photo can reveal a lot about the state of a movement which is after all the heart of the watch

I would ask for a movement as a last resort.
    I don't have a proper watchmaker where I live and I would have second thoughts about swimming with a watch you open to show me the movement.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Those Moro straps are pretty expensive, make sure you get one included if that's what your after.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Those Moro straps are pretty expensive, make sure you get one included if that's what your after.
    One of them says Tudor on the back.
    I was keen on the woven strap.

Master
    I'd make sure you get one of the original straps with it, the camo NATO looks awesome but I far prefer the leather you made me or the bracelet

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd make sure you get one of the original straps with it, the camo NATO looks awesome but I far prefer the leather you made me or the bracelet

:) that is why I wanted the Nato camo strap.
    A leather one I can make myself. In fact I already have a leather Nato one :)

These are the two mine came on

Master

Looks good on the bracelet but I find myself looking for alternatives to bracelets lately. The only watch I use with a bracelet is the Monster.

Now I have to decide if I can live with just one watch.
    I would have to sell my Steinhart OVM and a few of others to fund the purchase of the Ranger.

This is the other one purchased from the forum.

Looks great on the bund...

Master

Same as mine, the camo is brilliant isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Same as mine, the camo is brilliant isn't it

Camo is marmite . Either love or hate but I love it

The black strap on the OP's post is aftermarket. The brown strap looks correct, although the lighting is a bit off. It is generally a bit redder but otherwise I think this is one of the original strap variants. Here is mine.

It's appears to be missing the Camo strap though which is essential to the package in my view. Expensive to replace and the best Camo strap there is.

They came on steel, pale brown leather bund (very stiff) and a reddish-brown straight leather with a creamy stitch. All versions had the additional Camo Nato. Leather straps have a really nice and well engineered deployant clasp which is well worth having. There are loads of great aftermarket straps that are a lot cheaper then the OEM ones but if you want to use the original deployant that comes on the leather variants you'll be ideally looking for 22/18mm straps which are surprisingly hard to come by. The watch is a total strap monster anyway, especially with vintage style leather. OEM straps are nice of course but they are not the be all and end all for this watch, especially if you want one on a budget. I found a joyful combination for mine from Colareb with their 22/18mm Spoletto Stitch which I prefer to the OEM.

Some other combo's I tried before I found something really good that worked with the deployant.

It's one of those seemingly plain-Jane pieces that really gets under your skin and it's one of my absolute favourite watches and my favourite Tudor. For many, the bracelet and the bund are a bit marmite, though I quite like them both. However to my eyes the straight leather has the most appeal. I think a really good one on a good original strap and full set is a 1300 quid watch, 1400 on a bracelet. Compromises will get you closer to the 1K mark you are after and apart from insisting on getting the Camo Nato (if you like it) and ensuring you get the deployant clasp (if leather), I don't think either of the OEM leather options are essential.

Best of luck :-)
    Last edited by fordy964; 28th May 2017 at 13:57.

And more....

It's starting to look like one of the most versatile watches, especially with all those different options above :)

Master
    It's a beauty and on a bracelet in good condition paying up to 1500 wouldn't lose you much, wears so nicely and a good size at 41mm for most wrists

Master
    The whole deal failed . I had a buyer for my Steinhart OVM but he changed his mind.
    Anyway, I wasn't really sure I wanted to sell the Steinhart...

It's a watch that you don't instantly fall in love with once you get it. Give it a month and you will never let it go

Master
    I agree with rusty on that one!

This might be of interest to somebody looking for a pre-owned Ranger - UK seller, priced at £1150.00. Link below...

https://www.prestonsdiamonds.co.uk/p...ed-watches/267

Master
    Thats a pretty handsome watch on any strap. The design has a nice balance between dial, hands and case.

Quote Originally Posted by 2BNOT2B View Post
    This might be of interest to somebody looking for a pre-owned Ranger - UK seller, priced at £1150.00. Link below...

https://www.prestonsdiamonds.co.uk/p...ed-watches/267

That sold about 3 weeks ago I'm afraid. Their website is not up to date. Would have been a good buy at that price...

Master
    Hardly surprised that one didn't hang about at 1150 that's very very cheap

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adirian View Post
    My thoughts exactly. He says a watchmaker opened it but even if he didn't tampered with the movement the WR is gone.
    NO!

How do you reach that conclusion that the water resistance is 'gone'? There's a risk that the seal hasn`t seated correctly when the back was replaced, but anyone competent would know this. Trust me, I`ve taken hundreds of casebacks off and replaced them, inspecting the seal and ensuring it's seated correctly becomes second nature...and you can tell when they're wrong if you know what you're doing.

It's a watch, not a virgin, there's nothing sacred and irreversible about unscrewing the caseback and replacing it.

Frankly, some of the comments regarding water resistance on this forum are crazy; unscrewing a caseback and replacing it will have zero effect on WR provided it's done properly and the seal isn`t knackered. Modern rubbers last many years, nothing like the stuff used in the 60s.

This is a modern watch, corrosion/pitting to the sealing surfaces won`t be an issue, the caseback seal should be fine, the risk is very very small.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    NO!

How do you reach that conclusion that the water resistance is 'gone'? There's a risk that the seal hasn`t seated correctly when the back was replaced, but anyone competent would know this. Trust me, I`ve taken hundreds of casebacks off and replaced them, inspecting the seal and ensuring it's seated correctly becomes second nature...and you can tell when they're wrong if you know what you're doing.

It's a watch, not a virgin, there's nothing sacred and irreversible about unscrewing the caseback and replacing it.

Frankly, some of the comments regarding water resistance on this forum are crazy; unscrewing a caseback and replacing it will have zero effect on WR provided it's done properly and the seal isn`t knackered. Modern rubbers last many years, nothing like the stuff used in the 60s.

This is a modern watch, corrosion/pitting to the sealing surfaces won`t be an issue, the caseback seal should be fine, the risk is very very small.

Paul

This! I have opened many casebacks and then swum with them with zero issues, if rubber seal is intact and looks good there is very little risk to your watch if you reattach back properly which is easy to do.

Master
    There's always that one time, sods law and all...