closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Rolex ID/value help please

Vintage Rolex ID/value help please

Hello all - I was asked by a friend to help get some info (including value, inevitably) of a watch that he inherited a while ago. I can see it's a yellow gold Oyster Date. Can anyone help with more info than that, do we need to look at serial number on the case to get a better idea? - I've had a look on google images and found a couple that look similar but I just don't know enough about it.

As I mentioned, he's inherited this watch so is thinking of selling it to then buy something that he's more likely to wear. So on that note, where would be the best place to sell? Best to do as is or have a service first? - NB I haven't offered to sell through here as I don't really like to sell on someone else's behalf... and I clearly don't know much about it!

Couple of (not great) pics that he sent me below, again any more info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jack

If you take the bracelet off, you should be able to see between the lugs the model number and serial number at the other side, the latter should help you pin it down to a year (approximately).

If he is looking to move it on, why not contact some of the regular second hand dealers and see if anyone is interested. The hallmarks should give you the gold ct, but I am guessing 18 unless it was sold in the US in which case might be a bit less. Why not weigh the watch and compare it to the buy in gold price per gm, that would give him a starting point, but he would need to knock a bit off for the movement and crystal, which are clearly not gold.

I wouldn't service unless selling privately. Let a dealer sort it out (or not).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Are you sure it's yellow gold? Look at the model I would of guessed SS all day.

Thanks for responses so far, that's helpful.

I'm not sure of anything as I've only seen these pics - but he said it was gold, so would be surprised if he couldn't tell the difference (just sheer weight for one) but I'll check..!

Journeyman
    they made gold capped Dates back in the day... so if it weighs like SS it probably is... i suppose the easiest way is to look for a hallmark (or lack thereof).

Master
    Riveted bracelet and champagne dial and gold hands says its gold. Nice watch, cal 1575. Reference could be 1500/8 but have to check between lugs.

I think it is a gold capped reference 1550.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll get him to look for hallmarks and serial number etc.

In terms of places to go to sell; one of the earlier posts referenced the usual second-hand places to go to. Any specific recommendations? I've not dealt with any before.

Thanks,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack83 View Post
    Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll get him to look for hallmarks and serial number etc.

In terms of places to go to sell; one of the earlier posts referenced the usual second-hand places to go to. Any specific recommendations? I've not dealt with any before.

Thanks,

Jack
    It might be worth having a chat with Mike Wood at The Old Watch Shop, otherwise, Blowers, watches.co.uk, The Watch Centre or even Watchfinder.

Check out the websites of the above and see if you can find anything remotely similar for sale.

if the strap is Gold, it should be marked on the blade. If not then it most likely capped (or plated). Not a complete answer but at least you don't have to take the back off the watch.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It might be worth having a chat with Mike Wood at The Old Watch Shop, otherwise, Blowers, watches.co.uk, The Watch Centre or even Watchfinder.

Check out the websites of the above and see if you can find anything remotely similar for sale.
    Will do, thanks for the pointers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    if the strap is Gold, it should be marked on the blade. If not then it most likely capped (or plated). Not a complete answer but at least you don't have to take the back off the watch.
    Good tip - thanks for posting.