closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Richard Mille - What are your thoughts?

I like the diver, I think it's the RM028, it's a bit like a very expensive Monster!

If I had that kind of money though, I'd buy a Datograph.

Master
    They are certainly a Marmite brand it would seem and when you enter this tier of Horology, there is a lot of choice. They'll be a few in Monaco this weekend at the F1 that's for sure.

The thread "60 years of the DD" makes me realise just what these "marmite" brands are up against. If they have no classics to reinterpret they are inevitably going to have to make something new.

I do see that the designs may not be around in 60 years but then again neither will I be !

New Nadal RM.

With "CR*P" written all the way through the middle.

If bought used resale vals seem good

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Up there with Franck Muller, the 'watch-maker' who puts part of the Titanic in his watches, and Jacob & Co. in the grotesque stakes.
    It would help if you had a clue as to what you are talking about. Even once.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It is an exaggeration. I have an RM 10. Really not an issue at all.
    Any photos/wrist shots of your RM as it would be interesting to see?

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Any photos/wrist shots of your RM as it would be interesting to see?

upload pics

That looks a lot easier to read than the majority of RMs as there is a clear contrast between the hands and the movement.

Master
    Thanks and looks very nice mate and easy on the eye. Not as busy as I had anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Thanks and looks very nice mate and easy on the eye. Not as busy as I had anticipated.
    Thanks

Banned
    That's a rm005 white gold you posted.

Amazing, but I can't get my head round the pricing!

Quote Originally Posted by ibby7 View Post
    That's a rm005 white gold you posted.
    Yes , it is 05 not 10. My bad.
    Always make that mistake.

Master
    ...the 'watch-maker' who puts part of the Titanic in his watches...
    Is that some Bremont LE I'm not familiar with?

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Is that some Bremont LE I'm not familiar with?
    Romain Jerome

Master
    Blog Entries
    Heres my RM005 that I sold in 2009 - for £15k. I sold it to Blowers, it was the first one they had in. Cheapest I can see now for this model is £37k - would have been a good investment. For me Its maybe worth £15k now but I don`t see £37k there, it was a nice well finished watch. But the base models like my former watch have Vaucher movements, I can see more value in the more complicated Renaud & Papi movement models even through they are even more so stratospheric priced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    Heres my RM005 that I sold in 2009 - for £15k. I sold it to Blowers, it was the first one they had in. Cheapest I can see now for this model is £37k - would have been a good investment. For me Its maybe worth £15k now but I don`t see £37k there, it was a nice well finished watch. But the base models like my former watch have Vaucher movements, I can see more value in the more complicated Renaud & Papi movement models even through they are even more so stratospheric priced.
    Wow that's nice and a veritable bargain compared to todays prices. Do you regret selling it or it just wasn't for you?

Master
    IMHO The absolute essence of a watch however it is designed or adorned is to read the time easily. It's the sole function. Could I read the time easily on a Richard Millle? Answer is no. Therefor if I had the cash (I don't) it would go on something else.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm not really qualified to criticise RM watches as I've never owned one or handled any, but this one is really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Did you read the comments? The world's most expensive G Shock.....! I wonder how he justifies the price though?

When you go high end then go bonkers - RM fits that category. Personally I'd buy an MBA&F. The brand was super friendly at the show I saw their watches and have an additional wow factor over RM in my opinion.

Craftsman
    I like them, something different, but im afraid they are way out of the price range.

It would help if you had a clue as to what you are talking about. Even once.
    With a watch collection spanning over 20 years and 200+ watches I think I know exactly what I am talking about.

Not everyone wants oversized watches that look like they have come out of a Christmas cracker. Not everyone needs, or wants, a 46mm watch to shout 'look how much money I have' to all and sundry. Discretion is a virtue.

Taste cannot be bought, or taught, my friend.

Master
    With a watch collection spanning over 20 years and 200+ watches I think I know exactly what I am talking about.

Not everyone wants oversized watches that look like they have come out of a Christmas cracker. Not everyone needs, or wants, a 46mm watch to shout 'look how much money I have' to all and sundry. Discretion is a virtue.

It's all subjective at the same time and not all RM's are as you describe plus, I am fairly certain that Frank Muller was and is a respectable watchmaker who didn't utilise any parts from the Titanic, but Roman Jerome did? I also fail to see a correlation between RM and Jacob in any shape or form, primarily as they are a quartz based manufacturer.

But I do wonder how many people outside the WIS community know what RM looks like lets alone value!

A Rolex will more likely show to the masses 'look how much money I have' do you not think?

Taste is an individual thing so one man poison is another man's pleasure, there's nothing tasteless about RM unless you need to declare its value to like you say all and sundry then that act is tasteless not the watch!

Grand Master
    They are a very interesting piece and once you buy for the right preowned money they will always be ok residually. The one to have is the RM11 in Rose Gold for me its a great looker but will not be appreciated by the masses but the masses aren’t wearing this watch! Expect long servicing and repair times but theres nothing quite like an RM once you have it on just feels unique and special but not in the nasty way that Jacobs do albeit thats like comparing apples with rotton figs
    RIAC

Not something I can afford or would wear out and about.

Although I love some of the Richard Mille watches and I like Richard Mille as a person, seems a great chap and very interesting.

Amazing watches and very well made IMO
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    Did you read the comments? The world's most expensive G Shock.....! I wonder how he justifies the price though?
    Probably not, though I myself always appreciate commitment to shock resistance - grossly overlooked in comparison to water resistance IMO, so more power to Richard Mille there.

I actually quite like the case design and would happily wear one if the dial was legible and the price was lower.

I couldn't wear a watch called Dick Mille.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I like and admire them. The design work and finish is something else.

But, they're the polar opposite to my tastes.

Craftsman
    Great watches to end finishing in the flesh but can look a bit plastic in pictures

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    That looks a lot easier to read than the majority of RMs as there is a clear contrast between the hands and the movement.
    My thought too

I was watching The Late Late Show last night, and noticed Ed Sheeran was wearing an 030 limited edition. I have to say that I'd LOVE to own one.