closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richard Mille - What are your thoughts?

Master

Richard Mille - What are your thoughts?

I have been pondering the highly unlikely scenario of being able to buy an RM and so started looking at the various models, and the price, and wondered are they really worth it? I know it can be said for all brands but this is the Uber cool rock and roll brand of the watch world and so wondered what you lot thought?

I like some of the models and the tech but dislike the straps and the illegibility of many of the models, which at this level, doesn't seem to matter, it would seem. I have only seen one in the flesh in Paris and so they are super rare, for the obvious reasons. I also then started to think about what your options are at this level and came up with:

• Roger Smith
    • Kari Voutilainen
    • Greubel and Forsey, although these are another few levels up on pricing.
    • De Bethune
    • MB&F
    • HYT
    • Urwerk

So would I buy one if the chance came along? The answer is, yes. Would you?
    Last edited by stix; 25th May 2017 at 13:45.

Master
    No. Too modern for me and expensive. Resale value is (I presume) pretty poor and you will have to have a buyer who wants one. Mark Cavendish the cyclist is a watch fan and a friend of Richard Mille (he gave Cavendish the watch off his wrist after a Cavendish win) so they certainly have their fans - Nadal is an endorser. Fabulous use of tech materials and precious stones but not to my taste (or wallet)

http://watchtime.me/news/interview/a...s-of-tradition
    Last edited by mrushton; 25th May 2017 at 11:40.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    No. Too modern for me and expensive. Resale value is (I presume) pretty poor and you will have to have a buyer who wants one. Mark Cavendish the cyclist is a watch fan and a friend of Richard Mille (he gave Cavendish the watch off his wrist after a Cavendish win) so they certainly have their fans - Nadal is an endorser

http://watchtime.me/news/interview/a...s-of-tradition
    I'm aware of the high profile ambassadors but hadn't thought of resale and maybe at this level, people don't worry too much about it.

Master
    The WOSTEP qualified chap at Allnut's in Midhurst was very enthusiastic about the tech in RMs.

If I had that sort of money I think I'd be heading to the IoM though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    The WOSTEP qualified chap at Allnut's in Midhurst was very enthusiastic about the tech in RMs.

Yes I would be sorely tempted by the Smith as well. Gotta love hypothetical watch buying

Really like the 35-01 and 02 but a little out of my range (little is an understatement actually)

Would be happy with this 02 duo

Last edited by pitbull666; 25th May 2017 at 11:44.

I like the shape of the case, materials and rubber straps but don't like the skelaton dials. So I won't be getting one when I win the Euromillions.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Really like the 35-01 and 02 but a little out of my range (little is an understatement actually)

Would be happy with this 02 duo

Yes like the one on the right and would consider this as well:

http://richardmille.com/watch/rm-011...ion=nouveautes

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Yes like the one on the right and would consider this as well:

http://richardmille.com/watch/rm-011...ion=nouveautes
    That is nice but I prefer the more simplistic dial, for RM that is..

The now discontinued 01 is up there as well

Craftsman
    Unobtainable for me but if I was at some point to find myself in that tax bracket, my money certainly would not be going towards an RM

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I think they are fantastic .Fantastic technical cases and a unique look .Obviously they would not appeal to a watch traditionalist .I dont suppose depreciation is a concern at this level .Sadly out of my reach

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I really like the simpler design ones, some of them are just too over complicated and I personally think they detract from the look! As couple people posted the pics those are the ones if I could afford I'd get

Master
    My theory is that perhaps you don't really buy one to read the time, as for the most part, you can't!

Master
    I like them and would like to own one but think that ship sailed for me when the entry price for a second hand 5 shifted from about £20k to £40k. At that money there's a lot of other stuff I'd rather own.

I really don't like them, I don't like skeleton dials either so it's a double no for me. I appreciate there's a lot of amazing design and horological magic going on in them but they leave me cold aesthetically. Even if I was super rich I wouldn't buy one. Saying that I am rather conservative and boring from a fashion sense :D I did wear paisley shirts at one point in the 80s when I was a teenager, but my cutting edge fashion sense evaporated some time in my 20s!

I would 100% love to get my hands on one - they recently did one with a GMT complication, it was unbelievable

Put off by skeleton dials. Designs are trying to hard. It's just pointless but exclusive bling to my eyes. I'm a traditionalist I guess!

Master
    Not for me ! Regardless of price I would not wear one. I dislike pretty much everything about them.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Would love to have one but as Cliff has said the prices have risen to the point where other brands open up.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post

Love Roger Smith and his ethos, but the designs I've seen are too traditional (read: old-fashioned) for me, though whether that's his or his customers' preference is hard to say.

Mille is the opposite end of the scale though and not for me also.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    I like them and would like to own one but think that ship sailed for me when the entry price for a second hand 5 shifted from about £20k to £40k.
    My take exactly - I had hoped to change a couple up for one but that is no longer realistic. The workmanship & weight are amazing and I like the modern look, so to paraphrase Ferris Bueller "If I had the means..."

I quite like them, but would need to have a serious Euromillions win to justify one! I have a Rotary close (purchased a long time ago) - this one in fact:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
    I would 100% love to get my hands on one - they recently did one with a GMT complication, it was unbelievable

That's awesome but again, it's hard to read the time. I'm sure I could get used to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    I really don't like them, I don't like skeleton dials either so it's a double no for me. I appreciate there's a lot of amazing design and horological magic going on in them but they leave me cold aesthetically. Even if I was super rich I wouldn't buy one. Saying that I am rather conservative and boring from a fashion sense :D I did wear paisley shirts at one point in the 80s when I was a teenager, but my cutting edge fashion sense evaporated some time in my 20s!
    So you haven't done a James May re shirts yet then, or at all?

Master
    Even if I had the money (I don't!) I wouldn't. Too big, too bling, too illegible. However, I like the MB&F range quite a bit more - especially the legacy machine 101 in platinum with the frosted blue dial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Even if I had the money (I don't!) I wouldn't. Too big, too bling, too illegible. However, I like the MB&F range quite a bit more - especially the legacy machine 101 in platinum with the frosted blue dial.
    Yes I like a lot of MB&F as well and agreed, that's a great "affordable" model.

Quote Originally Posted by WillS View Post
    I quite like them, but would need to have a serious Euromillions win to justify one! I have a Rotary close (purchased a long time ago) - this one in fact:

Thanks for saving me googling the Rotary clone .

I think Richard Mille deserve a lot of accolades for creating the world's lightest split second chronograph finally beating the old record famously held by umm.....errr

Not for me really
    I do like the cutting edge materials tech. But would prefer a Lange or maybe a FP Journe.
    I think most potential buyers are pretty high nett worth individuals who are maybe not the type who buy used watches?
    Dealers have to be ready to tie up a lot of working capital to stock these used, so I guess they'd need to feel they were buying cheap/. In for a decent profit.
    A lot easier to keep turning over Rolex etc

That's awesome but again, it's hard to read the time. I'm sure I could get used to it.

- - - Updated - - -

So you haven't done a James May re shirts yet then, or at all?
    James May, Jeremy Clarkson, And Hammond are all style icons and predictably wear watches I rather like.......god there is no hope for me is there?

I do also like the HYT brand, I really enjoy lusting after one whenever I manage to get down harrods. Whether or not it's a gimmick is to be seen however, It's like when you had glow thing on a stick from bonfire night when I was a kid.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    James May, Jeremy Clarkson, And Hammond are all style icons and predictably wear watches I rather like.......god there is no hope for me is there?
    Haha nope.

Master
    I do also like the HYT brand, I really enjoy lusting after one whenever I manage to get down harrods. Whether or not it's a gimmick is to be seen however, It's like when you had glow thing on a stick from bonfire night when I was a kid.
    Yes I like the design and engineering and they have released another model recently which I quite liked:

http://watchesbysjx.com/2017/04/hand...implified.html

Banned
    FECK how much (just googled it)?! Looks like a dutch watch I bought a few years ago (cost me £250).

I'm allergic to watches I can't tell the time on, so it's a "no" from me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I do think they're incredible looking things but if I wanted an incredible looking piece of art/engineering to look at I'd get one of those little pinball 'watches' that were shown at Basel.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I'm allergic to watches I can't tell the time on, so it's a "no" from me

It is an exaggeration. I have an RM 10. Really not an issue at all.

Craftsman
    Just out of curiosity - what makes these watches so expensive? They must have an astronomical profit margin...

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It is an exaggeration. I have an RM 10. Really not an issue at all.
    I'm sure it's fine but I'm not good on skeletonised watches. Just creates legibility issues for me. Glad you enjoying your RM10. Quite the statement piece.

Yes I like the design and engineering and they have released another model recently which I quite liked:

http://watchesbysjx.com/2017/04/hand...implified.html
    Thats really nice, and a lot cheaper! I also have a real hankering for a Ressence as well i'd be stuck between the 2...

No offence to anyone who loves them but

Emperor's new clothes statement pricing

Not very attractive

But I'm not really their target market

Dave

Thats really nice, and a lot cheaper! I also have a real hankering for a Ressence as well i'd be stuck between the 2...

The ressence is

Master
    I really like the 11 in RG both old and new version. Slight problem on affordability at present.... :)
    However if I had the money (!!) I would certainly have one along with a PP5270, a Lange Zeitwork Striking and a AP Offshore Tourb.

Journeyman
    Just do not think any of RM watches can truly be classics. Every time I see one I think of pretentious Premier League Footballers. Turns me right off. Sorry I would rather have a Bentley for the same money and take a hit on the resale on that too. !!!!

On a standalone basis some of them look good, but IMO for that kind of money there are too many other classic, iconic and frankly great watches to get through first.

Banned
    Probably the most overpriced watches out there .

Seikoboy

Really horrible (IMHO of course)
    Can't really see any redeeming features.

Why would you ?

Not for me all horrendous

Have seen these watches in the metal so to speak, and they are outstanding pieces. I know a guy that flew to New York to meet Richard Mille, just to convince him how serious he was about commissioning him a very limited piece. He now has two. One rose gold, the other in white gold. The white he wears as an every day beater, and even wears it in the shower?!. He paid £180k for it!!....Silly expensive, but he is silly rich though. These are exquisite pieces.

Master
    I applaud RM's originality but I'm drawn towards traditional minimalism in design so I couldn't love one. I'd like to see one in the flesh.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Not a fan, and the prices are crazy!

Up there with Franck Muller, the 'watch-maker' who puts part of the Titanic in his watches, and Jacob & Co. in the grotesque stakes.