closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watchfinder gripe regarding WG Daytona

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    My SDc was a link short when I bought it. I got one from Watchfinder for £20.

I don't need the link, or the dive extension but wanted set to be complete.
    Did you also buy your watch from WF?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Purchased a BB36 from watchfinder and when I phoned up to arrange delivery the woman asked if I would like the bracelet sized for my wrist to which I agreed, expecting to receive a properly sized watch with a couple of spare links in the box.

The watch arrived, too tight for my wrist and no spare links so I contacted my salesman (Tom) only to be told that the watch would have gone out with the same links and accessories as they received it, there had been no mention up until that point that the watch did not come with a full set of links. At the time I shrugged it off and made my way in to Rolex St James and bought a couple of links which they fitted FOC.

Having read this thread it sounds like this is an all too common occurrence.

I had a totally different experience from WF.
    Purchased a sub and although it fitted me there was little room for any further movement. I contacted Tom and he posted out a spare link in the post, they were steel and not precious metal.

Have just enquiried about an AP from watchfinder (Royal Oak Offshore Chrono) and asked whether it has a full set of links or not. I was told 'the watch has been priced according to how many links it has (18cm/7", UK average). More links may be available from AP and I'll check whether this would cost extra'.

Looks like I'll be taking my business elsewhere if the additional links for my 8.5" wrist are not made available free of charge.

It's a bit unreasonable to expect free links for an 8.5 inch wrist, for a used watch.

While I'd like a full size bracelet, if a watch is priced because it didn't have one, I'd hardly expect extra links to be added for free.

Surely the only thing that matters is the overall price!

If you don't like it, buy new!
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    It's a bit unreasonable to expect free links for an 8.5 inch wrist, for a used watch.

While I'd like a full size bracelet, if a watch is priced because it didn't have one, I'd hardly expect extra links to be added for free.

Totally agree with the above

Sent from my SM-C7000 using Tapatalk

And if it's not priced accordingly? It's reasonably priced, nothing more. Is it unreasonable to expect a number of links consummate with your wrist size? Seems watchfinder (anecdotally according to this thread) are happy to take extra links out of the full package but less happy to add them.

Still, let's see what they say, after all it's not the end of the (first) world, right?

I'd agree with the above if there was appropriate transparency, Scott. State the number of links and state the policy; DON'T ask wrist size and then make a play for additional revenue.

When I bought my GMT from Watchfinder, it came with a different clasp on the bracelet (jubilee clasp on oyster bracelet).

The photos showed an oyster clasp so I called them and had it swapped without any issues.

If there are less links on the bracelet than in the photos then they are legally obliged to supply that number.

I doubt they'd have to supply anything more than described or pictured.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    When I bought my GMT from Watchfinder, it came with a different clasp on the bracelet (jubilee clasp on oyster bracelet).

The photos showed an oyster clasp so I called them and had it swapped without any issues.

If there are less links on the bracelet than in the photos then they are legally obliged to supply that number.

I doubt they'd have to supply anything more than described or pictured.
    That's true but they should be stating what size wrist it will fit. It's not up to a buyer to second guess, based on a picture.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    I think there is enough anecdotal evidence here to suggest that they are routinely withholding spare links using the pretext of sizing the watch as a way to hoodwink the buyer and skim some extra margin. A very useful thread this. I for one will treat WF with the cynicism they clearly employ on their customers going forward.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I think there is enough anecdotal evidence here to suggest that they are routinely withholding spare links using the pretext of sizing the watch as a way to hoodwink the buyer and skim some extra margin. A very useful thread this. I for one will treat WF with the cynicism they clearly employ on their customers going forward.
    I hadn't realised they were doing this and I can see that "stealing" bracelet links would add some extra profit to the business - and is fundamentally deceitful and wrong!

With the extortionate cost of links for premium brands, they have got themselves a nice little earner there. The loss of those links to the owner of the watch will certainly affect the reselling price, and I have turned down the opportunity of buying some watches if they didn't have all the links, because I know how difficult and how expensive it can be to get replacememts.

Devious business ethics don't appeal to me so Watchfinder can be scrubbed from the list!

Journeyman
    Nothing surprises me here watch finder will stoop to anything to make up for the crazy prices they pay for stock, I have sold them watches in the past and while the whole process is a faff they pay more than the rest. They also accept any old just rubbish. Would I buy from them? NEVER EVER.
    Last edited by cygnus; 31st May 2017 at 07:21.

Something else that occurred to me that is a little infuriating. If someone had been careful enough to keep box and papers for a watch why would they then throw away the spare links having sized it to fit a smaller wrist?

It's a sharp practice for sure but when called out on needing additional links to fit a larger wrist it shouldn't then be a debate or subject of a negotiation, surely?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    Nothing surprises me here watch finder will stoop to anything to make up for the crazy prices they pay for stock, I have sold them watches in the past and while the whole process is a faff they pay more than the rest. They also accept any old just rubbish. Would I buy from them? NEVER EVER.
    Yes, quite.