closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Battery change for my Breitling Emergency?

Battery change for my Breitling Emergency?

My Breitling Emergency has recently ran out of battery. I understand that Breitling will charge me a couple of hundred quid for a battery change, I'd appreciate views if it is a good idea to have the battery changed by an independent (or can I do it myself?).
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries
    It depends how important the 'Emergency' part is to you. I only think Breitling can guarantee the work on that section. If this is your first change I believe it's included ? There are two batteries- one for the watch, one for the antenna. If you don't plan to ever use the Antenna I would think and indie could change the watch battery easily for you.

Martyn.

Craftsman
    And don't forget that old batteries can leak and cause all sorts of damage. If you are not planning to use the antenna, it maybe an idea to have the battery removed.

Quote Originally Posted by toptime View Post
    And don't forget that old batteries can leak and cause all sorts of damage. If you are not planning to use the antenna, it maybe an idea to have the battery removed.
    I would imagine that 99.99% of Antennas never get used in the watches lifetime

But what's the point of having a Breitling Emergency if it won't work in an emergency?

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    But what's the point of having a Breitling Emergency if it won't work in an emergency?
    It's a gimmick, nothing more.

I suppose that removing the transmitter battery is a pretty good idea and also takes care of the risk of accidentally activating it. I take it that it can always be reversed by simply putting one back in at a later time?

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post

I suppose that removing the transmitter battery is a pretty good idea and also takes care of the risk of accidentally activating it. I take it that it can always be reversed by simply putting one back in at a later time?
    Just carry a battery and few tools for if an emergency does happen.

Craftsman

Battery change for my Breitling Emergency?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Just carry a battery and few tools for if an emergency does happen.
    And a bottle of water and a tin of beans just in case

Quote Originally Posted by toptime View Post
    And a bottle of water and a tin of beans just in case
    Carry the spare battery but put the beans in the battery compartment then you can eat before being rescued :)

Quote Originally Posted by pauluspaolo View Post
    Carry the spare battery but put the beans in the battery compartment then you can eat before being rescued :)
    Sounds like common sense.

Master
    what's the point of having a Breitling Emergency
    Especially when you can get a PLB for a few hundred quid.

Yes, of course. My question stands: what is the point of having a watch with a gimmick if the gimmick doesn't work?

Yes, of course. My question stands: what is the point of having a watch with a gimmick if the gimmick doesn't work?
    What's the point of owning it if the gimmick does work?

I cannot speak for others, but I own mine because I like its design. Suppose that is the reason for anyone owning any watch?

Banned
    Give this chap a bell I've used him for my old Mission, 2 batteries polish and reseal.

http://tcawatchrepairs.co.uk/

What's the point of owning it if the gimmick does work?
    Well, you tell me.

Seriously, though, I like watches based on the design, but if it has a signature feature or function, I want that function to work. It's like if you had a moonphase watch which didn't show the moon phase, or a diving watch which isn't waterproof. It would just annoy me.

Master
    I may be wrong but I don' think the frequencies of the older Emergencies are monitored anymore anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    Give this chap a bell I've used him for my old Mission, 2 batteries polish and reseal.

http://tcawatchrepairs.co.uk/

Hmmm.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR WATCH IN A BOX - JUST WRAP IT UP IN BUBBLE WRAP, PUT IT IN A PADDED ENVELOPE AND SEND IT FULLY INSURED VIA ROYAL MAIL SPECIAL DELIVERY

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I may be wrong but I don' think the frequencies of the older Emergencies are monitored anymore anyway.
    Satellite support for 121.5 was ditched about 8 years ago, but most aircraft have a second box tuned into 121.5 and D&D Cell monitor.

Banned
    Hmmm.
    PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR WATCH IN A BOX - JUST WRAP IT UP IN BUBBLE WRAP, PUT IT IN A PADDED ENVELOPE AND SEND IT FULLY INSURED VIA ROYAL MAIL SPECIAL DELIVERY.

That's What I did Raffe with my old Mission no problems.

When I sent my 76321 for it's first service, it returned from Breitling UK in a thin foam cardboard box wrapped like a shell round the watch.

Give terry a call I'm sure you can put it in a box if you want to.

Journeyman
    Raffe, the batteries on my emergency have started to die so I'm now in the same boat you were, after getting a price from Breitling to send it back (£460) I'm contemplating other options... what did you end up doing?

Quote Originally Posted by TrussHugger View Post
    Raffe, the batteries on my emergency have started to die so I'm now in the same boat you were, after getting a price from Breitling to send it back (£460) I'm contemplating other options... what did you end up doing?
    It's still sitting in my watch box....

Suppose i will just have the watch battery changed, not the transponder one as i see it as largely pointless.

Thanks for reminding me. 😁

Mine went to breitling in the end. I contemplated tca but it was £130 ish I think and in the end breitling were £420, I decided the extra was worth it. Came back looking lovely. Battery lasted just under 4 years and I didn't get breitling to polish it on the last visit so I asked for it this time. They've done a great job.

]

]

Journeyman
    I'm sure it was nowhere near as expensive last time... that's my watch fund dwindling again... least I know should the sh*t hit the fan while sat at my desk the rescue services will be able to find me...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Mine went to breitling in the end. I contemplated tca but it was £130 ish I think and in the end breitling were £420, I decided the extra was worth it. Came back looking lovely. Battery lasted just under 4 years and I didn't get breitling to polish it on the last visit so I asked for it this time. They've done a great job.

]

]
    They do an amazing job... I've had it back from service twice now and each time it's like new .... I always feel bad wearing it again lol

Yep...I've never had this watch polished until now and whilst it was barely marked they've done a great job with the refinishing. The bracelet is like new.... I've taken it off and put it on a pro3 rubber now.

Journeyman
    I'm half tempteted to have it done then flip it for something a little different or use it as a deposit on a Rolex .... hard decisions... though I'll probably get it back and fall in love with it again...

I anyone is on the fence about changing their Emergency battery themselves: it is the easiest watchmaking task in the world. Took me all of four minutes, could have changed both sets of batteries at the same time but left the transponder batteries empty.

It takes a 395 type battery (two CR2025 for the transponder), the rubber gasket is so thick and wide that it is basically impossible to damage during the change. Took me three times as long to set the watch afterwards compared to the battery change.

While I was at it, I also changed the battery in my Seamaster Bond, six minutes because you have to be really careful with the delicate o-ring.

A productive session, as Slack would say.

A couple of seconds more and the bezel would have been aligned as well :-)

Master
    If you decide not to change the batteries on the MkI I have a hot custard MkII I’d do a deal on !

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    A couple of seconds more and the bezel would have been aligned as well :-)
    The bezel has always been rather loose, never been able to retain it in its proper position for very long. Just took it off and cleaned it, sits a bit tighter now. But as it doesn't click, it will almost always be somewhat misaligned.

Edit: the trick to tighten the bezel is a string of dental floss, wrapped twice around underneath the bezel. Pushed the ends in with a razor blade and now the bezel is nice and tight.
    Last edited by Raffe; 29th March 2023 at 21:48.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    If you decide not to change the batteries on the MkI I have a hot custard MkII I’d do a deal on !
    Well, I just did - and no thanks the mkII is a tad bit too large for my liking.

Master
    The same as having a diver's wristwatch with 500m water resistance.

Love the colour Raffe - looks great

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Seriously Joe?

Might be more than I want to spend right now but........
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........