closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential very valuable Rolex need expert opinion help

Potential very valuable Rolex need expert opinion help

Need some help on the value of some Rolex watches, found stored in old plastic bag they are part of an estate. I was doing some work for a lady whose husband passed away recently I noticed she was wearing a lovely Omega Constellation and commented on it and we started talking about watches and she mentions her Husband's Rolex collection and asks if I want to see it as she has no idea what they are worth......well she brings down a plastic bag full of odds and sods and these two floating around loose in the bag. I have to say I was rather surprised what was in there.

I know the GMT is worth a bit but it's the sub with no lugs that may be something really special, it has an inscription on the back for service 1933-1962 which puts it in the bond sub years I believe. All the watches started running when given a few shakes, however the bezel on the Sub is a bit damaged.

Any help would be great, I told her to wrap them individually to protect them. She said her husband kept box and papers for everything but the Sub was his fathers so good chance none for them. I think she needs to get a proper valuation asap for insurance and get them stored somewhere safe asap.

There was also a Polar explorer 2 looked from the 90s but that wasn't worth posting up here.

She was very kind and let me take a wrist shot of them, I doubt I'll ever get to wear what is potentially a bond watch ever again!

Be interesting to see what Haywood and Mike think of the Sub, looks like a late 50s/early 60s big crown.

If correct, going to be worth a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Be interesting to see what Haywood and Mike think of the Sub, looks like a late 50s/early 60s big crown.

If correct, going to be worth a lot...
    I know I almost had a heart attack when it came out of that plastic bag, both of them been stored so carelessly was mildly horrifying.

Pretty amazing.
    Will be keen to know as well what these might fetch.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    My dream find at a car boot....failing the missing Van Goghs....!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Another spot: look at the depth rating on that Sub dial - that is early, indicating an original dial, which logically should be a gilt dial.

I think it's a 5508, from the pictures I could find on net

Wow, thats an astonishing find. Looking forward to seeing an expert view! :-D

Craftsman
    Wow what a find!! She's lucky that an honest guy with a passion for watches got to see them first.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toptime View Post
    Wow what a find!! She's lucky that an honest guy with a passion for watches got to see them first.
    My sentiments exactly. Well done for not fleecing her!

Master

Yes indeed.

Craftsman
    Great finds. Plastic bag

Master
    Lovely treasure trove. Looks like a real nest egg for the family.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely vintage Rolex watches.

Master
    That's a great find, as has been said, just glad you could give her some good advice before she was fleeced.

Journeyman
    I cant wait to see how this pans out, I really hope they have something special and an unexpected windfall is on its way to them.
    Great honesty and integrity, you're to be commended

I'm going to be glued to this thread as the facts are revealed

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The Sub would appear to be a 5508 with common white text service dial and later 78360 bracelet. If Eddie will forgive the link, the interior of the case back should look something like this : http://www.miltonaires.com/product/2197

The 5512 was launched with the first crown guards in 1959 and the 5513 joined it in 1962, but the Submariner was going through rapid metamorphosis in its first decade and a number of models over-lapped each other. Indeed, my case number records (some 250 pages I think) detail batches of one model made immediately after batches of its predecessor. It would be quite reasonable to find a 5508 purchased as a 1962 presentation gift, as the engraving suggests.

Certainly these two watches together could represent a five figure sum, unless there is some unexpected failing.

GMT perhaps a 16750.

H
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 24th May 2017 at 20:07.

Looks like a 1675 GMT and a 6536 Submariner to me.

I am but a humble amateur though.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    The Sub would appear to be a 5508 with common white text service dial and later bracelet Certainly the two watches together will be a five figure sum.

H
    I wondered if it might be a service dial, it looks slightly different to the 5508s I could see on the web and looked in pretty good nick. A rough ballpark figure to tell her for insurance? I was thinking £6500 or so for the GMT and really have no clue on the 5508.

Journeyman
    Awesome, makes one appreciate masterpieces even more. Its a bit like that Antiques Auction Video on You Tube with the ex american soldier who bought a GMT Master Model Rolex with Box & Papers in Germany many years ago when stationed there. I keep watching this every now and then - makes me smile.!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0mRLcGbU8

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Looks like a 1675 GMT and a 6536 Submariner to me.

I am but a humble amateur though.
    Not so amateur!

I'd be especially interested to check the Sub reference, these two being very similar but the 5508 in my experience more common.

H
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 24th May 2017 at 20:17.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    I wondered if it might be a service dial, it looks slightly different to the 5508s I could see on the web and looked in pretty good nick. A rough ballpark figure to tell her for insurance? I was thinking £6500 or so for the GMT and really have no clue on the 5508.
    They need properly documenting for insurance to be effective and if you were more local* I'd offer to do it for free for you.....but I wouldn't be surprised to conclude a total Secondhand Replacement Valuation for both watches around the £13,000 mark. Don't have all my resources to hand though and as I found earlier today there are plenty of models which have shot up over the last year.

* one of the country's better independent ADs is near you : Charles Fox in Bournemouth.

H
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 24th May 2017 at 20:20.

The GMT looks like a 1675 from the hand stack and a later one at that, dial looks like a Mk 5 or a service dial. It looks like it might have been serviced as the insert also looks like a service one. I would need to see better photos of it. Please feel free to PM me. You can remove the bracelet at the 6 o'clock side to see the serial number and I will be in Bournemouth over the weekend if it helps? I would only need the first three digits from it.
    Last edited by leefowler; 24th May 2017 at 20:35.

Ok thanks for the input guys, I'll let her know the rough valuation so at least she doesn't ripped off by anyone less scrupulous, and so she stores them a bit better! Was surprised the 5508 isn't worth a little more but no doubt a service dial kills the price.

Blog Entries

Potential very valuable Rolex need expert opinion help

Quote Originally Posted by fierbois16 View Post
    I cant wait to see how this pans out, I really hope they have something special and an unexpected windfall is on its way to them.
    Great honesty and integrity, you're to be commended
    +1.

There are some good eggs on here.

z

Sent from a phone using this TZ-UK app

Master
    I am coming round to watchlovr's and Lee's suggestion that it is a 157x-calibre 1675/0 rather than a 3075-calibre 16750.

H

I am coming round to watchlovr's and Lee's suggestion that it is a 157x-calibre 1675/0 rather than a 3075-calibre 16750.

H
    I'd say it's definitely a 1675. Gorgeous patina too.

Couple close of the two dials, these are iphone photos so quality isnt great, I could get better pictures and look at lug engravings if people think it's worth it.
    I thought the insert looks rather mint for an old GMT? And yes the patina on the GMt is amazing, the photos don't capture what a lovely shade of yellow its gone.

Can you take a clear close-up shot of the GMT hand stack, with the 24hr hand clearly visible and without reflections?

Ok thanks for the input guys, I'll let her know the rough valuation so at least she doesn't ripped off by anyone less scrupulous, and so she stores them a bit better! Was surprised the 5508 isn't worth a little more but no doubt a service dial kills the price.
    5508 is no 6538, unfortunately.
    It might fetch more than HM's conservative estimate (implied)but not
    much. Still 13,000-15,000 is a hefty sum.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Can you take a clear close-up shot of the GMT hand stack, with the 24hr hand clearly visible and without reflections?
    I'll have to take some tomorrow only took a few quick shots while i was there today, so I can only enlarge the pictures I already have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I assumed he meant 13-15 for both Watches so around £6 7k each.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    +1.

There are some good eggs on here.

z

Sent from a phone using this TZ-UK app
    You can say that again. OP has shown remarkable honesty.👍👍

- - - Updated - - -

I'll have to take some tomorrow only took a few quick shots while i was there today, so I can only enlarge the pictures I already have.

- - - Updated - - -

I assumed he meant 13-15 for both Watches so around £6 7k each.
    Yes,both watches is what I meant as well.

Is the hour hand on the bottom or the 24hr hand?

Quote Originally Posted by leefowler View Post
    Is the hour hand on the bottom or the 24hr hand?
    I didn't check when I was there, i'll talk to her and see if I can some better photos for you guys to check out.

Couple close of the two dials, these are iphone photos so quality isnt great, I could get better pictures and look at lug engravings if people think it's worth it.
    I thought the insert looks rather mint for an old GMT? And yes the patina on the GMt is amazing, the photos don't capture what a lovely shade of yellow its gone.

Looking at the Crown on the dial I would say it is a 1675 and has service hands and insert.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Yes, just looked at a few current 5508 prices and indeed, as my post contemplated, they are among those which have strengthened and I would now come down around the £15,000 mark for the two watches.

Some case and model numbers would excite me and bring certainty to a couple of questions.

H

Journeyman
    Does anyone wonder how such beautiful watches become so much in poor condition irrespective of age .?

Quote Originally Posted by Dejay View Post
    Does anyone wonder how such beautiful watches become so much in poor condition irrespective of age .?
    Being chucked in a plastic bag with a load of other stuff for about 800 years

Master
    Unbelievable though it may seem, some owners wear their watches for the real life purpose intended.

They've been worn, as they are meant to be. There's nothing bad about an old watch showing the signs it's been used and enjoyed.

The GMT looks in quite good condition, the scratches on the plexi always make the condition look worse. As already mentioned they are made to be worn!!

He hadn't worn either of these much for a long time according to his wife, he wore the Explorer 2 pretty much exclusively as he preferred the way it looked :-) Still been stored in a plastic bag with other odds and sods isn't the best place for them!

OK so I spoke to her on the phone again and I am going back on friday to take some high quality pictures, any advice on what areas I should photograph, should I take case back off the 5508 etc (is it a screw in?)

It's a screw in with a very specific case back tool needed.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    It's a screw in with a very specific case back tool needed.
    Would a sticky ball case back remover work?

It's possible but I would say unlikely, it depends when and who put it on last, might be worth a try though.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    At this stage I see no need to open the case backs if not fully prepared and practised in doing so.

Removing and reapplying the bracelets so as to allow case and model number identification is the most important element here.

If not photographed, do please take a lens and ensure you note numbers very carefully.

Apologies if teaching you to suck eggs!

H

At this stage I see no need to open the case backs if not fully prepared and practised in doing so.

Removing and reapplying the bracelets so as to allow case and model number identification is the most important element here.

If not photographed, do please take a lens and ensure you note numbers very carefully.

H
    I have opened case backs on cheap watches using a sticky ball before. If case isn't too tightly screwed down it's not normally that difficult. I will take pictures of lugs for you guys, and try and get a shot of the GMT hand stack too. I don't think the 5508 will suffer any water resistance loss opening it up as I can't imagine the seals are any good anymore, so may have a quick go with a sticky ball as I obviously don't have any rolex case back tools.

I have to say that a rather uninteresting day at work turned into a very interesting and enjoyable day for me, never expected to see something like these and it's been fun to find out more about these watches, many thanks to all who have offered their sagely advice and expertise!

H
    Good advice as without the correct tools the case backs are easily damaged.