closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Manchester Terror Attack

The Manchester Terror Attack

I'm struggling with this more than with any other of these vile attacks.

I feel a bit guilty about prioritising them like that but I've not been able to stop thinking about it. I just can't comprehend, nor do I want to, the mind-set of these people.

More importantly I can't comprehend the abject horror, torment and utter despair being experienced by the parents and relatives of the fallen. They targeted children. How can a human being do that?

It's purely unthinkable what these families are going through.

I'm not being particularly articulate about this I know as I'm really struggling to get past the emotion.

I also feel guilty about feeling bad about it. I'm not affected. What I'm feeling is incomparable to what the relatives are going through. I don't know how you even come back from that.

I'll shut up now. I wrote it down as it's good to share.

Journeyman
    I don't know anybody who isn't feeling like that - you've summed it up very well.

I sympathise with your predicament.

This situation is difficult to comprehend - not in the colloquial sense of that term but quite literally.

There are a few things that you might consider doing.

Firstly, don't get angry. This seems to be the main objective of terrorists. If they make you angry, they're winning.

Secondly, be resolute. Spend time reflecting on the situation and contemplate in rational terms. This is the antithesis of feeling terror. If you don't feel terror, you are winning.

Thirdly, understand their beliefs. You cannot engage with and defeat something like this without understanding what makes it tick. Islamic fundamentalism is not nice, and it is as mad as a box of frogs, but it is a coherent set of very unpleasant and misanthropic beliefs and superstitions. A very good explanation here : https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-wants/384980/

Finally, act rationally. Love and respect those that you come into contact with so far as you are able. Avoid belief in the supernatural - realising that this life is everything, and that life after death means our children's lives not clouds, pearly gates and harp playing, makes dealing with life's problems much easier.
    Last edited by Bristolian; 24th May 2017 at 15:01.

Great perspective Bristolian, thank you.

Anger is not one of the emotions I'm feeling actually which in itself is a bit weird I guess.

I agree entirely with everything you've said

Master
    I've been feeling exactly the same as you have written in the OP. As silly as it sounds all I can think of to do is 'spread some love', I threw a few extra quid in the charity pot that a little old lady was collecting for outside of Asda yesterday and actually made conversation with her rather than just chuck a quid in and hurry back to the car.
    On the school run this afternoon I struck up a conversation with one of the other parents who usually sits on their own while waiting for their kids to come out.
    Tomorrow in town I'm hoping the big issue seller I usually cross the road to avoid is there so I can buy a copy and ask him how he's doing, maybe see if he'll have a coffee with me. I know this all sounds silly but if we can all just be nice to each other maybe eventually we can make the world a better place