closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Getting used to a new watch?

Craftsman

Getting used to a new watch?

Hi guys,
    Firstly I'd just like to say that my thoughts are with the people of Manchester, the emergency services and anyone else affected by recent tragic events. I was going to hold off posting about my trivial problem but then I thought maybe we could all do with diverting our minds for a short while or so.
    I'm Just interested to know how long it takes people to get used to a new watch? For years I've worn larger watches. I wear a G Shock to work and have owned a Sinn U1 and other larger watches in the past.
    My main watches at the moment are a G Shock Mudman and an Omega PO 42mm.
    Last week I took delivery of a Seiko SKX013 which is 38mm. I haven't got massive wrists (6.75inch) but I think it looks TINY because I'm so used to bigger watches. I went with the SKX013 purely because it's smaller and I wanted to have a smaller watch in my armoury. I really like the watch but it's definitely taking some getting used to. I've almost cracked a couple of times already and put it on the 'bay.
    How long do you think I should persevere?
    Rob

As long as it takes!

There'll come a time if you wear it continuously for a while that the larger watches start to look massive on your wrist.

Master
    I bought a Breiting Aerospace Evo last year. It felt too small and light as I'm used to larger watches. It lasted 48 hours! If you're not getting on, it's unlikely to grow on you.

Who knows? It might grow on you after a week, a month, a year or never!

All I can say is that I have the same wrist size as you and found the 013 perfectly alright.

When I swap between case sizes I find that I have usually adjusted within a few hours.

I was wearing this 33mm one the other day and then changed to a 42mm - it felt odd for about half an hour.

Master
    38mm is a useful size for something with standard bezel, but could read as smaller for something with a diving bezel. Wear it every day for a week or two, what have you got to lose? Sometimes first impressions stick, sometimes you adapt. But it's not compulsory to get on with a 38mm diver by any means. You might feel quite differently about a 38mm Omega Aqua Terra or Nomos Club Campus.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 24th May 2017 at 09:56.

For me its a case of almost straight away..take of the B1 or UX and slap on the 37mm GS and within a few minutes I dont notice any difference...different people adapt to things in different ways but if you are taking days to get it...you probably wont get there.
    Keith

Craftsman
    All good points. I think a lot had to do with the fact that a lot of the skx013's 38mm is taken up by the diving bezel which makes the dial look particularly small. I have another 38mm watch- a simple 15 year old citizen eco drive which i get along with fine because the actual dial is bigger and easier to read. Incidentally, the eco drive has out lived a G shock, 2 Nite's and an Elliott Brown and it's still going strong! Not bad for £40 from Argos!

Craftsman
    I'm also interested how others deal with thus situation as this is something I'm struggling currently with my SARB033. I'll put it on, hour later it comes off as I can't get use to it but I really want to love it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I'm also interested how others deal with thus situation as this is something I'm struggling currently with my SARB033. I'll put it on, hour later it comes off as I can't get use to it but I really want to love it.

Does it feel too big or too small?

Is it on a strap or bracelet? I find that this makes quite a difference.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TZ-UK mobile app

I have never had a watch grow on me - I find if I an indifferent in the first week this never changes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Does it feel too big or too small?

Is it on a strap or bracelet? I find that this makes quite a difference.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Too small on it's original bracelet. I find if I have anything other than the bracelet it feels even smaller.

I am the same as many others on this thread, if a watch is wrong you spot it almost instantly, be it size, appearance, whatever. I had been after a Smiths Everest for ages, always looks fantastic in the images on here, finally got one, put it on and no - it just didn't look right so sold it after a few days.

You can grow to love a watch that started off good, but if first impressions are bad, move on to the next watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Who knows? It might grow on you after a week, a month, a year or never!

All I can say is that I have the same wrist size as you and found the 013 perfectly alright.

When I swap between case sizes I find that I have usually adjusted within a few hours.

I was wearing this 33mm one the other day and then changed to a 42mm - it felt odd for about half an hour.

You are Hugh Hefner and I claim my £5.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I am the same as many others on this thread, if a watch is wrong you spot it almost instantly, be it size, appearance, whatever. I had been after a Smiths Everest for ages, always looks fantastic in the images on here, finally got one, put it on and no - it just didn't look right so sold it after a few days.

You can grow to love a watch that started off good, but if first impressions are bad, move on to the next watch.
    Snap for me with the SARB065 Ken. Absolutely lovely looking watch, but it never felt right on the wrist somehow. The only watch I've ever sold in fact!

Personally....

I usually know straightaway, if it will be a keeper or not.

Due to needing reading glasses. I normally prefer 40-44 mm watches.

i had a reduced speedy ..which I found too small for me........Though I also had a 39mm Tag Heuer Carrera Twin Time............it was the same size....but I thought it looked OK on me!

Straps or bracelets, can "sometimes" make me change my mind....but 99% of the time for me....its love at first sight................................or not!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    Hi guys,
    Firstly I'd just like to say that my thoughts are with the people of Manchester, the emergency services and anyone else affected by recent tragic events. I was going to hold off posting about my trivial problem but then I thought maybe we could all do with diverting our minds for a short while or so.
    I'm Just interested to know how long it takes people to get used to a new watch? For years I've worn larger watches. I wear a G Shock to work and have owned a Sinn U1 and other larger watches in the past.
    My main watches at the moment are a G Shock Mudman and an Omega PO 42mm.
    Last week I took delivery of a Seiko SKX013 which is 38mm. I haven't got massive wrists (6.75inch) but I think it looks TINY because I'm so used to bigger watches. I went with the SKX013 purely because it's smaller and I wanted to have a smaller watch in my armoury. I really like the watch but it's definitely taking some getting used to. I've almost cracked a couple of times already and put it on the 'bay.
    How long do you think I should persevere?
    Rob
    annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I need to live with things for a bit before I know - and size isn't the only factor.

I was absolutely in love with my 1973 Bulova Spaceview but after a few days it went in the box and hasn't really come out since. Smiths Everest suffered a similar fate and got flipped – and has been flipped again by its new owner!

Conversely, a brand new Bulova Moonwatch went straight back as 'too big' but when I got a S/H one and actually wore it for a few days it became a favourite.

Journeyman
    Its a personal thing, for me if the watch doesn't feel right straight away the doubts tend to linger and ultimately I never bond with the watch. If I'm not enjoying it, then its moved on fairly swiftly.
    The worrying thing for me in this thread are comments on the Everest, I have been eyeing these up myself recently. They may have just planted a seed of doubt

I'm probably the other way around on this.

I had an Orient Bambino, lovely watch but it was just too big for a dress watch.

Every time I wore it it was off in no time. I actually gave it away to a young lad in work that made a positive comment on it.

Master
    I always give watches a decent amount of time. There's no rush, after all. Wear it on rotation over a month or 2. Some watches have gone from meh to yeah.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fierbois16 View Post
    Its a personal thing, for me if the watch doesn't feel right straight away the doubts tend to linger and ultimately I never bond with the watch. If I'm not enjoying it, then its moved on fairly swiftly.
    The worrying thing for me in this thread are comments on the Everest, I have been eyeing these up myself recently. They may have just planted a seed of doubt
    Don't let me put you off the Everest! It's a great watch and you should try one if you like the look.

I bought new and lost £40 but if you do a WTB or wait for one on SC then you'll probably lose nothing but the onward postage if it's not for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk