closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is the demand for 116610LV declining?

Master
    Blog Entries

Is the demand for 116610LV declining?

Seems that there are more and more of these becoming available. Yes, for the most case just over RRP but there doesn't seem to be the same buzz around these anymore. People seem to be more excited for the 16610LV. Perhaps because it is a limited run while the Hulk is still in production and has been for about 7 years now.

What's people's thoughts on this? I can see this holding its value as well as most Rolex sports models but for real investment purposes I'm guessing the smart money is in the 16610LV.

I guess it's subjective. I have yet to see one in an AD window. I have an LVc and think it's a stunning timepiece but i'm not in it for the investment. They can still be had new online in a few places so aren't really difficult to source so long as you're willing to pay a premium.
    The investment piece will always be the unavailable or limited one......

Well as I've just sold mine its likely to be discontinued and go sky high...

It was my second attempt to get on with the LVc but I just found that of my collection it was the one I never really had any desire to wear. WF have them at nearly £8k which is frankly stupid money.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    People seem to be more excited for the 16610LV.
    Logic and utiliy probably don't come into play when we talk about watches such as these, but I've always considered the Kermit to be more useful of the two because Rolex retained the black dial. The 116610LV is too green for my taste while the 16610 feels more like a welcome variation on a favourite flavour.

While we're on the subject, are there any official no-date Kermits?

Quote Originally Posted by lasz View Post

No.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I don't think its ever been THAT desirable. Ive seen it on display in places like the Watch Gallery in Shepherds Bush, Fraser hart, in 2017. Whilst I never saw say a james Cameron DSSD or BLNR on display in the UK. I would never pay a premium on a LV.

Journeyman
    Can be had mint to 7,000 Euros although if you are patient you can find one for 6.5K Eur private seller and haggle hard for 6.2K Eur which is 5,400 pounds sterling last time I checked.

A quick search on chrono24 now (23/05/17) will show 243s LVs on offer, 264 LNs and 166 114060s. Demand for the LV has traditionally been lower than for the LN and 114060 because green is a polarising colour and hard to match with daily attire. Therefore, less demand and similar offer can only drive prices down eventually compared to LN and 114060.

Master

On its way down

It could never be a Kermit as we know the figures on those and the values go up accordingly !!

When I asked if there were any originally I had little success but even the dealers have been offering them to me below RRP for some that were a few years old! This has made me pull out and buy a few other pieces in the meantime, until I see where they are going?
    At the end of the day it's not Ltd edition so why should the price rise beyond initial desirability??
    One of Rolex' new offerings will take over the mantel and take all the limelight for a while I presume?

Chris
    Last edited by subchris; 23rd May 2017 at 23:07.

Master
    Logic and utiliy probably don't come into play when we talk about watches such as these, but I've always considered the Kermit to be more useful of the two because Rolex retained the black dial. The 116610LV is too green for my taste while the 16610 feels more like a welcome variation on a favourite flavour.

The sparkly sunburst dial and languid green insert don't help either. Most of the blue dial/insert models suffer from this as well. The five digit inserts look much more vivid.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    The sparkly sunburst dial and languid green insert don't help either. Most of the blue dial/insert models suffer from this as well. The five digit inserts look much more vivid.
    For some reason they haven't quite managed to nail the colour of the bezel. It does look rather creamy instead of vivid as the dial. Personally though, I'd prefer a darker green dial and bezel and while I'm at it with a few other differences: no date, tapered lugs. new 3235 movement and 600m WR. That to me would be a winner and I'd gladly pay retail at the AD for that. Let's see what the future holds once they update the Submariner.

Envoyé de mon HTC One en utilisant Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
    For some reason they haven't quite managed to nail the colour of the bezel. It does look rather creamy instead of vivid as the dial. Personally though, I'd prefer a darker green dial and bezel and while I'm at it with a few other differences: no date, tapered lugs. new 3235 movement and 600m WR. That to me would be a winner and I'd gladly pay retail at the AD for that. Let's see what the future holds once they update the Submariner.

Envoyé de mon HTC One en utilisant Tapatalk
    The more time passes, the more sure I am that Rolex nailed their design language during the 5 digit era. Definitely update with the better bracelet/clasp and ceramic inserts, make them bigger even, but all the fat lugs crazy huge crown guards... they weren't an improvement.

Would anyone really ague that the current fat case no date would be preferable to a 14060m recreated at 41mm with all the modern upgrades? That update 14060m would be an amazing watch.
    Last edited by JP Chestnut; 25th May 2017 at 00:43.

Craftsman
    The more time passes, the more sure I am that Rolex nailed their design language during the 5 digit era....all the fat lugs crazy huge crown guards... they weren't an improvement
    Couldn't agree more. Two of the key factors in me flipping my BLNR for a five digit Explorer II. The proportions are much better IMO.

Blog Entries
    I love mine. As they say around these parts, "each to their own":

The bezel and face changes in different lights:

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 25th May 2017 at 08:38.

Craftsman
    The more time passes, the more sure I am that Rolex nailed their design language during the 5 digit era.
    I've never owned a Rolex (I'm interested in their tool lines, just lacking funds) but if I were, I'd go for the 1680 sub, the original-design Explorers (especially that stick hands Explorer II), the 1675 GMT - my Rolex interest ends with applied indices, in other words. I like their watches from the era before they realised that they're a luxury brand and started changing their watches to reflect this realisation.

Craftsman
    Yeah, it's not that it's not desirable. It costs more than a normal sub and not everyone wants to be different. I have seen LN at dealers more than the LV. Just because a dealer has an LV does not mean it's declining. Look at all the used prices they are more than rrp. Dealers get a lot less LV in their allocation.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    PM me to where you can get them for 5800. I'll buy another one :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    The more time passes, the more sure I am that Rolex nailed their design language during the 5 digit era. Definitely update with the better bracelet/clasp and ceramic inserts, make them bigger even, but all the fat lugs crazy huge crown guards... they weren't an improvement.

Would anyone really ague that the current fat case no date would be preferable to a 14060m recreated at 41mm with all the modern upgrades? That update 14060m would be an amazing watch.
    Yes, definitely count me among those who favour five digits (no smut please).

H

Master
    Sooner or later it will be discontinued as the 3235 caliber takes over, then suddenly everyone will want one, again...

I like the five digit Rolexes as well as the newer ones with fatter lugs giving a slightly different case shape.
    They are somewhat different looks and I can understand someone preferring the look of five digit ones. I cannot however,understand the need to regurgitate that view on every single Rolex thread or the need to run down the newer ones at every given opportunity and so on.
    The Hulk has been a somewhat popular release but it never was unobtainable. I do prefer it to the Kermit which to my eyes is very bland. The Hulk looks smashing on a Rubber B. Obviously the shade of green may not be for everyone but purely on looks alone, I prefer this to BLNR.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I like the five digit Rolexes as well as the newer ones with fatter lugs giving a slightly different case shape.
    They are somewhat different looks and I can understand someone preferring the look of five digit ones. I cannot however,understand the need to regurgitate that view on every single Rolex thread or the need to run down the newer ones at every given opportunity and so on.
    I've been saying this for years:

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    New all the way for me. Having looked at some of the older models I don't really like the 'mini dial' and 'sub case'. The bracelets and clasps are not as good. The metal bezels are more fragile and prone to scratching. The colours fade over time. The crown guards are too thin and pointy. The lugs seem a bit smaller and less muscular.

All in all, I don't think these older Rolexes will catch on.

Master
    I've never owned a Rolex (I'm interested in their tool lines, just lacking funds) but if I were, I'd go for the 1680 sub, the original-design Explorers (especially that stick hands Explorer II), the 1675 GMT - my Rolex interest ends with applied indices, in other words. I like their watches from the era before they realised that they're a luxury brand and started changing their watches to reflect this realisation.
    I guess that makes you a "four-digit" guy. Me too, mainly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    I guess that makes you a "four-digit" guy. Me too, mainly.
    Removing cost from the equation, I think four digit for casual wear and five digit for more businesslike settings would be my ideal. Sadly, I have missed the four digit train. Even a nice, complete, unpolished matte 16800 is over $10,000 now in the USA. A similar condition red 1680 is... crazy.

The five digits are still very practical and make great everyday watches and are still available to those who want one. The four digits for most Sports models are now becoming seriously collectible and expensive and most owners probably wouldn't wear them as a daily watch.

Lovely to own a four digit Daytona or a SD, but the Zenith Daytona (16520), the 14060m and the SD 16600 are pretty hard to beat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The five digits are still very practical and make great everyday watches and are still available to those who want one. The four digits for most Sports models are now becoming seriously collectible and expensive and most owners probably wouldn't wear them as a daily watch.

Lovely to own a four digit Daytona or a SD, but the Zenith Daytona (16520), the 14060m and the SD 16600 are pretty hard to beat.
    Even the 16520 is getting crazy. Last year I bought an early thin hand NOS 116520 because I didn't want to spend the $15,000+ that it would have cost to get a later, mint, complete, unpolished 16520 white dial. Sometime I regret the choice, but the newer bracelet is nice and the 116520 is too "maxi" for my taste.