closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Travel companion

Master

Travel companion

I am planning to visit SE Asia in Autumn, mixing beach, culture and my advanced scuba PADI quals. I would wear my PAM49, my old travel companion, but it suffered water ingress when diving on the barrier reef so no confidence there.
    I don't need a GMT function beyond skyping my kids.
    Choices are 116660 d blue, 116710 or 216570. I am leaning towards the 116660, but don't wish to wake up in a ditch in Siem Reap minus my 8k watch. I could of course wear my g shock, but where is the romance in that?
    What would you do?

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    What do you do? Seiko 007/009 of course.

PADI gmt on sc
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I would buy a cheaper "nice" watch and leave the 4-figure watches at home, too many tea leaves around tourists looking for high end items which can also bring yourself into danger.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    What colour budgie smugglers are you taking?
    Black wouldn't go well with a D Blue but would be fine if the exp is a black dial. Bit too stark contrastwise if it's a white dial. Then again if you're taking white pants then a white watch would go pretty well particularly if you're getting a tan because the white pants and polar would really pop the sunkissed look. Possibly that may be showy. In which case the gmt would more subdued. It doesn't have the wr of the DBlue though so there's the potential there for it to give up the ghost and die a sandy death when you're paddling. In which case that could lead to brown pants and hell nobody likes that contrast.
    Actually. Blue goes well with brown.
    We really need more details about pants before we can accurately tell a grown man what to wear.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    What colour budgie smugglers are you taking?
    Black wouldn't go well with a D Blue but would be fine if the exp is a black dial. Bit too stark contrastwise if it's a white dial. Then again if you're taking white pants then a white watch would go pretty well particularly if you're getting a tan because the white pants and polar would really pop the sunkissed look. Possibly that may be showy. In which case the gmt would more subdued. It doesn't have the wr of the DBlue though so there's the potential there for it to give up the ghost and die a sandy death when you're paddling. In which case that could lead to brown pants and hell nobody likes that contrast.
    Actually. Blue goes well with brown.
    We really need more details about pants before we can accurately tell a grown man what to wear.
    Probably commando...

Such a positive contribution above...... :D

I was in Cambodia last year for a month and wore my Sinn U2. Great for diving, great GMT and flies well under the radar of your average watch thief/mugger.
    ....Not that I met any negativity. Have travelled throughout asia extensively and just because people have less doesn't make them less honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Probably commando...

In that case, Tudor do a Camo NATO.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Take the DSSD, its what its for.

G-shock. As someone who just had his watches stolen on holiday...

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

G-Shock and Vostok Amphibia. That's what I've got with me at the moment in Jamaica, they tick the boxes and are worry free.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Journeyman
    Lotta good advice on here.

Bottom line: leave the good stuff at home.

I just got back from Europe/UK and subsisted with a couple of Seikos: a SARB035 for evening and a SKX007 with 12 hour bezel for everything else.

Any Seiko kinetic GMT works best for me and travel. I always prefer traveling with cheaper watches too.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Any Seiko kinetic GMT works best for me and travel. I always prefer traveling with cheaper watches too.
    Agreed, any decent cheap Seiko for me

Landmaster (Japan)

SKX mod (Bali)

Original Monster (Philippines)

If I had only one watch and it was my faithful old SD, I'd wear it everywhere. But beaches and hotels aren't the most secure locations, so why take worry and anxiety with you if it is avoidable? Enjoy your travels.
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 24th May 2017 at 01:25.

Having traveled throughout Asia for the last ten years I would feel safer wearing a Rolex at 2a.m. blind-drunk in Cambodia walking down a dark alley that I would walking around with it in bright sunshine in the middle of the day in N. Ireland.

You will be hard-pressed to find a kinder, more generous or more hospitable people. Have fun there!

Zissou (Kingston)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    What do you do? Seiko 007/009 of course.
    Indeed!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Put on your big boy pants and wear whatever you want to wear

mike

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I was in Cambodia last year for a month and wore my Sinn U2. Great for diving, great GMT and flies well under the radar of your average watch thief/mugger.
    I'm not familiar with the way watch thieves operate, but wouldn't it be a better business model to just steal whatever looks nice - the U2 certainly does - and find out how much it's worth at the end of the shift back at the Cave of Wonders?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Having traveled throughout Asia for the last ten years I would feel safer wearing a Rolex at 2a.m. blind-drunk in Cambodia walking down a dark alley that I would walking around with it in bright sunshine in the middle of the day in N. Ireland.

You will be hard-pressed to find a kinder, more generous or more hospitable people. Have fun there!
    An understandable, if irrational, fear of the unknown.

Why have a watch like the DSSD if you'll never wear it? So long as it's insured you've nothing to worry about. Wear it and be happy, you're a long time dead.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Why have a watch like the DSSD if you'll never wear it? So long as it's insured you've nothing to worry about. Wear it and be happy, you're a long time dead.
    Perhaps the same reason to own flipflops as well as Church's brogues... I may own both, but I know which I'd take to the beach

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    The Japanese tourist who got stabbed for his Rolex in Caracas last year had a bit more to worry about than an insurance claim.

never had any real problems abroad, but then i like to think I'm fairly sensible these days

to say that asia is any more or less safe than europe is ridiculous. they each have their problem areas.

when traveling , its all down to being sensible. a little bit of prudence goes a long way.
    Last edited by seikopath; 24th May 2017 at 10:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    An understandable, if irrational, fear of the unknown.

Well-put, I have been to N Ireland on many occasions and I can assure you you will feel 10 times safer walking around Cambodia.

As mentioned, the crime levels in Europe are noticeably higher than in Asia. The only Asian country I would be slightly cautious in is Indonesia.

Enjoy the trip into 'the unknown'!

Master
    Well-put, I have been to N Ireland on many occasions and I can assure you you will feel 10 times safer walking around Cambodia.

As mentioned, the crime levels in Europe are noticeably higher than in Asia. The only Asian country I would be slightly cautious in is Indonesia.

Enjoy the trip into 'the unknown'!
    Yes have been all around SE Asia and never felt in danger, but was wearing a plastic Nike watch. Always wear a good watch all over NI and never any problems.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    never had any real problems abroad, but then i like to think I'm fairly sensible these days

to say that asia is any more or less safe than europe is ridiculous. they each have their problem areas.

when traveling , its all down to being sensible. a little bit of prudence goes a long way.
    I agree, I've never had any problems either, but I was wearing a Pelagos, not a Rolex.

And what's the point of having a D-Blue if you can't use it for the purpose it's meant to be?

Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    I agree, I've never had any problems either, but I was wearing a Pelagos, not a Rolex.

And what's the point of having a D-Blue if you can't use it for the purpose it's meant to be?
    well, what is its purpose?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    well, what is its purpose?
    As OP pointed out he'll use the watch for diving, so why not use a diving watch for diving?

Master
    As OP pointed out he'll use the watch for diving, so why not use a diving watch for diving?
    He didn't have much luck with the Pam.

When you are home you know the dodgy areas which you avoid and if you do go there you wouldn't obviously wear an expensive watch. When you are on holiday it's more likely you will stray into area you don't know is dodgy or been a tourist you stand out a lot more and are more likely to be targeted than a local who blends in.
    Basically if you use common sense don't flash it around, try and avoid areas that look seedy or run down you should be alright. I base what i wear on what kind of holiday I am doing, if it's just a resort/beach holiday with not much sightseeing and walking around exploring in towns and streets I am happy to wear something more expensive. If it was more of a backpacking exploring style trip I just take my Gshock and have zero concerns about it.

its not bought primarily as a diving watch. lets face it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    He didn't have much luck with the Pam.
    Yeah was most unimpressed. Meant to be rated to 300m and couldn't cope with 10. Panerai replaced the movement but no explanation or apology.

I wouldn't be wearing a Rolex in Phnom Penh.

I blew plenty of local peasant minds when i showed them a $10 note, so i can only imagine how safe you would be if if they realised you had £5k on your wrist.

This was a few years ago now though, but when i arrived in Phnom Penh we got surrounded by a group of people outside a bar, women holding up babies, people begging, and even a Buddhist monk wanting some coin.

I've never had anyone try to pickpocket me in the UK, but 5 mins after arriving in Sihanoukville i caught a kid trying to take my mates wallet out of his pocket.

A great country though, but i wouldn't be wearing an expensive watch around people living in poverty.

Some of them are lucky to make $500 a year.
    Last edited by studly; 24th May 2017 at 16:55.

This is why steinhart are good to have at least one of. Look ok dive ok cost low reliable. Ez choice for a visit to an unknown region for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you wander off the beaten track..
    find yourself alone...
    And bump into an undesirable....
    Then it don't matter where you are in the world, you're prob gonna lose your watch. Don't think it's geo specific. I'd take 2 watches - one a genuine no worry beater and a nice one for when in a group with friends say for dinner etc

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    The Japanese tourist who got stabbed for his Rolex in Caracas last year had a bit more to worry about than an insurance claim.
    Ok but Caracas come on mate....He would be stabbed even if he had a Seiko, one of the cities with the worst homicide record ever with 122 homicides per 100,000.....Not really comparable to many cities...Admittedly it was shocking he was wearing a Rolex but it tends to happen with Japanese tourists (i lived in japan for 12 years), its just so safe in Japan that you are immediately so vulnerable abroad outside Japan if you don't change mentality.
    Last edited by kaiserphoenix; 24th May 2017 at 19:20.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    This is why steinhart are good to have at least one of. Look ok dive ok cost low reliable. Ez choice for a visit to an unknown region for me

Trouble is that an malicious Ignoramus with a knife doesn't know the difference between a Steinhart and Rolex so you get stabbed either way!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Ok but Caracas come on mate....He would be stabbed even if he had a Seiko, one of the cities with the worst homicide record ever with 122 homicides per 100,000.....Not really comparable to many cities...Admittedly it was shocking he was wearing a Rolex but it tends to happen with Japanese tourists (i lived in japan for 12 years), its just so safe in Japan that you are immediately so vulnerable abroad outside Japan if you don't change mentality.
    It's an extreme example but he probably thought that he had little to worry about if he was insured. I don't think too much about wearing a Seiko or Casio in Caracas, it is higher value items that are spotted and targetted and I know which parts of town to stick to. The vast majority of homicides and violent crime in Latin America are between local residents so the raw figures are difficult to compare to other parts of the world in the context of tourism.

Quote Originally Posted by Dejay View Post
    Trouble is that an malicious Ignoramus with a knife doesn't know the difference between a Steinhart and Rolex so you get stabbed either way!!!!
    Prob assume it's a fake Rolie anyhow