closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Shudda wudda cudda.

Master

Shudda wudda cudda.

Apologies if this has been done before, but....
    What did you have the opportunity to buy and now wish you did ?
    Watch, year and price please ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If I get the opportunity and the price is right, I never hesitate. The regret of not buying and losing out is worse than the regret of buying and realising you made a mistake. You can always sell

Bought a new Tag in the late 90's with some inheritance and could have easily purchased a used sports Rolex with the money, I'll never sell the TAG for sentimental reasons but its not really the watch I would wear now whereas the Rolex I would.

Master
    Have never regretted not buying but often regretted selling. My first Rolex, a TT DJ, my LV, my DSSD, my TT YM. Still can't laugh about it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Heuer chronographs 5 years ago.

Plenty! Zenith El Primero Da Luca for 800 pounds in 1998, Zenith 135 for 1800 Euros in 2003, IWC Mk11 for 750 pounds in mid eighties, likewise an IWC small Portugieser for 950 quid. Or a Rolex cushion used in Seven Years in Tibet for 1750 pounds. I go and cry in my bed now....

Sent from my F8331 using TZ-UK mobile app

I have never had any regret for not buying anything, however I did see an older style Explorer II with P&P in a City of London jewellers for £2700 12 months ago.
    I thought that was a good price at the time.
    I also remember looking a JLC WWW a few years ago (<4) for £900 and an MOD issued single button Lemania chronograph for £950
    If only I had a crystal ball...

Nothing I can think of.

I did almost buy a TAG Monaco a couple of times, but I don't regret not buying one and my enthusiasm for them has waned a bit now.

I've bought a few watches on impulse that I kind of regret (to the extent that I wouldn't do it again), but usually they've been cheap ones, so no big loss.

M

Craftsman
    I still regret selling my 6 month old CWC SBS for £200 a couple of years ago!

A mid 70's Rolex Daytona for £350 (in 1982). Sell my 16750 for £1400 and then buying it back for £1800.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I was working at a Rolex AD when the DSSD and Sub LV were released. Both were offered to me at cost price (slightly over half retail, wasn't much more than £2500) with the option to pay it off monthly out of my wages. I turned it down because cash was tight, but to be honest it was only tight because I was wasting it in the pub!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    A mid 70's Rolex Daytona for £350 (in 1982). Sell my 16750 for £1400 and then buying it back for £1800.
    Gutted!

Most of my watch purchases were in Japan over the last 5 years or so and despite some excellent scores, there are many regrets. Usually because I can't take them all home and they seemed like stonking bargains at the time (especially when the Yen was on it's backside pre-Brexit).

I really regret buying an IWC Mark XV Spitfire over an Explorer 1 about 3 years ago. The 114270 Exp 1 would have been about 1900 quid at the time. I don't have the IWC anymore either as it didn't gel with me and I've wondered why the hell I went for that IWC ever since. I've walked away from the 36mm Explorer 1 many times since too and all the while their values have been firming up. Feels like I missed the boat at the moment. Another Rolex I regretted walking away from was a silver 116200 DJ on my last trip that was minty and was really really well priced but I chose something else shiny that caught my eye instead. I also walked away from many GMT II BLNR's in early 2016 for about 4500 quids. I thought I'd wait until prices softened a bit more but supply dried up in Asia quite quickly after that firming up prices and then the pound crashed against the Yen... Doh!

Other regrets that come to mind are (can't remember pricing though) Zenith El Primero Tricolour 38mm, vintage EP Rainbow Flyback, a stunning EP Chronomaster in Rose Gold with silver dial and a steel/black dial (on several occasions...), JLC Master Control Chronograph and various other Master Control models, COMEX Seadweller, Seamaster AT 2500 Blue, Railmaster 2500, Snowflake Subs, and a tremendous number of JDM Seiko's I wished I'd picked up when they were available.

Ho Hum.

Master

LV and Universal Tro Compax

Offered a Kermit maybe 3 years ago for £3300 and I also stopped bidding on a Universal Tri Compax(black bezel version) at £2600 as that's all I had left at the time😢😢 these sell for silly money now!!

If I have the money now I just go for it as quite a few bad things have happened in my life and family over the last 7 years and after losing my best friend last year I made a decision to just enjoy everything I can!! That's why Ive bought 7 watches this year, a vintage 1934 car and a Lotus Elise S1😳😂😂👍🏻👍🏻

I do t want to be one of those if only kind of people and I was before!!

Chris

Nomos Club Dunkel Manual Wind 36mm.

I just couldn't decide between the silver dial and the dunkel.

The correct option became obvious as soon as it became unavailable.

2 Things;

1 - Walked away from a Sub in about 2004 for about £2000 in Cribbs Causeway.

2 - Ignored a salesman the same year on buying a Moonwatch (for about £1000) and bought a quartz TAG for same money instead (because all my mates had them).

gold smp ( inc bracelet ) on sc . 3k .
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by subchris View Post
    Offered a Kermit maybe 3 years ago for £3300 and I also stopped bidding on a Universal Tri Compax(black bezel version) at £2600 as that's all I had left at the time these sell for silly money now!!

If I have the money now I just go for it as quite a few bad things have happened in my life and family over the last 7 years and after losing my best friend last year I made a decision to just enjoy everything I can!! That's why Ive bought 7 watches this year, a vintage 1934 car and a Lotus Elise S1

I do t want to be one of those if only kind of people and I was before!!

Chris
    Reflective post - thank you , you are quite right., its always the case in hindsight one can see how to change things in the future - good to see that you have.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I was working at a Rolex AD when the DSSD and Sub LV were released. Both were offered to me at cost price (slightly over half retail, wasn't much more than £2500) with the option to pay it off monthly out of my wages. I turned it down because cash was tight, but to be honest it was only tight because I was wasting it in the pub!
    Gutted +1

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    Apologies if this has been done before, but....
    What did you have the opportunity to buy and now wish you did ?
    Watch, year and price please ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Speedy Apollo - pondered too long and it was gone!!!!!!!!!!

Master
    Rolex Explorer (1016 I think). In AD's window at list which I recall (for some reason) was £693. Perhaps someone can date it from that (although in the good old days back then prices didn't seem to increase more than once every 5 or 6 years).

That model went crazy a few years later and they still seem to list at £7k+.

I purchased a near brand new Sub in 2003/2004 for around £1500-1800 (i cannot remember exactly), after wearing it i thought the bracelet was cheap and rattly, and the watch overall pretty crap for the price, so i sold it for the same.
    Last edited by studly; 25th May 2017 at 04:54.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I also remember looking a JLC WWW a few years ago (<4) for £900 and an MOD issued single button Lemania chronograph for £950
    If only I had a crystal ball...
    It's so funny how these things work - by the time the average WIS has begun to consider this an obvious bargain, you can't get them for nowhere near that sort of money anymore. In retrospect, the pieces that become desirable always seem like the obvious candidates, but never at the time when they're still cheap ... Horrifylingly, I sometimes develop a weird sort of liking towards some of these once they've risen in value whereas I didn't care for them before that.

Master
    An early 50s Rolex Oyster, untouched honeycomb dial with the 'sharktooth' markers, that at one time passed through Mike Wood's hands. I was offered it for £1000 or thereabouts, decided not to buy, but tipped off a colleague.

He bought it. Still has it. Occasionally he wears it to the office; and whenever he does, a little part of me dies.

(There are a few sales I regret, but that's a different form of anguish.)