closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate tools/stuff/utilities

Ultimate tools/stuff/utilities

What are your ultimate tools, things, boys-toys etc? (excluding watches)

I'm thinking along the lines of...

1. A thing you regularly use that makes your life better.
    2. The design of this particular example is exceptionally good in your opinion without being crazy expensive.
    3. You wished someone had told you about it years ago so you didn't waste time on inferior versions.
    4. You will likely use it for the rest of your life.
    5. If you lose it, you'll buy another one immediately without hesitation.

A few things I put in this camp...

My Twsbi Eco fountain pen.
    My Victorinox Manager penknife which is on my key chain and incredibly useful,
    My DIY hi-fi set up - SMSL mini amplifier, cambridge audio preamp, Q acoustics speakers, logitech bluetooth All small and great vfm compared to off the shelf.
    My Thorfire vg-15 torch

Leatherman squirt ps4
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Kranzle pressure washer.

Master
    Dewalt, battery powered impact gun..

Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones, my hi-fi (various bits of a 40+ year old valve stuff), power rack & Olympic weights, binoculars and various guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Victorinox Farmer which gets used constantly and my wireless headphones (both in ear and over ear). Oh and also my BOSE wireless speaker.

Dewalt compound mitre saw with stand.

Messed about for years cutting with a cheap, inaccurate McAlister on the floor. Never again.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Bosch multi tool

It's a good question, and I was surprised that I couldn't think of anything that fits your list. The only thing I have that I would replace instantly is my phone but that's not really a utility tool (though I use the spotlight as a torch a lot) It's the only thing I find I need everyday, I have all appointments for jobs, client numbers, music, photos, flashlight and camera in one handy package which is indispensable to me.

Master
    Opinel (any UK legal number) with locking ring removed.

Craftsman
    Victorinox cadet day to day. Leatherman skeletool for light diy and a Leatherman wave for heavy diy. I'd be lost without any of these.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Japanese kitchen knife, gyuto. Gets used everyday, several times most days. Thin, light, sharp.
    It is a masamoto vg10 240mm in western style. Cost about 100 iirc, I've had it for more than ten years already. Let's not factor in the cost of the sharpening stones though!
    Anyone who cooks should have a decent knife.

Master
    Facom 467r.10 ratchet / ratchet open end 10mm spanner, allowed me to properly tighten with ease some cam cover end plate nuts of my Dino that I'd really been struggling with. The 13mm version will go on my next Christmas list and maybe some AF too.

Decent Fiskars loppers with a geared mechanical advantage, fantastic things and well worth the extra money

DeWalt 18v Drill Driver

Cyrus CD player and amp and my JR149 speakers.

Denon midi system which I use headphone only in bed, so much better than the previous few years when I'd persuaded myself

I have car, garden and house SAKs which I wouldn't be without. The blades take an excellent edge and I used most of the other tools at one time or another. I also have a Leatherman Squirt on my key-ring which gets used loads.

Home:
    Avometer
    Record vice (British made, not Chinese)
    Felco 2 secateurs (30+ years old, Felco still service them back to as new)

Away:
    Buddy Commando BCD
    Atomic T2 regulators
    Mares Quattro fins

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Ray ban aviators. So comfortable and light, and don't obscure your vision at all. And look pretty cool on most face shapes - timeless and not trendy and 'try hard' like a lot of other sunglasses

Banned
    Blog Entries
    DeWalt Cross Line Laser Level, coupled with an Extension Support Rod for holding plasterboard up, magnetic fixing on back of laser fixes to pole, and set at any height, simple but genius.

Part of New tool Friday purchases

Aeropress. Without it all other tools are useless to me.

Good idea this thread!
    Last edited by catch21; 24th May 2017 at 07:30.

Many years ago on a similar thread on tz-uk a poster suggested the RazorPit razor sharpener:

https://www.amazon.com/RazorPit-Razo...004W2UMDW?th=1

I bought one shortly afterwards and it is, without doubt, the best 10 quid I have ever spent. The 'life' of my Gillette razor cartridges has gone up massively, as a rough guess I reckon blade life is around 5x as long as without the Razorpit. I have had kept some Gillette's blades for over 6 months!

large Snap On roll cab

Fleshlight.

But most likely my
    Cowon J3 player and CIEM's
    Home hih fi and AV set up
    Wustoff kitchen knives

Kindle paperwhite

Master
    1. A thing you regularly use that makes your life better. Stella
    2. The design of this particular example is exceptionally good in your opinion without being crazy expensive. Stella
    3. You wished someone had told you about it years ago so you didn't waste time on inferior versions. Stella
    4. You will likely use it for the rest of your life. Stella
    5. If you lose it, you'll buy another one immediately without hesitation. Stella

Quote Originally Posted by macdaddymac View Post
    Kindle paperwhite
    I'm a proponent of the basic Kindle (I've killed 2 so far, so cost of replacement is an issue), but otherwise would agree.

(My killing two isn't a reflection on their durability, they each lasted a couple of years worth of commuting and travelling and got bashed up a fair bit.)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    I'm a proponent of the basic Kindle (I've killed 2 so far, so cost of replacement is an issue), but otherwise would agree.

(My killing two isn't a reflection on their durability, they each lasted a couple of years worth of commuting and travelling and got bashed up a fair bit.)
    having had both, backlit kindle is the way to go for me

Master
    A good pair of shoes - I have Loakes 1884. Once they wear in they are so comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    having had both, backlit kindle is the way to go for me
    The backlight is brilliant

Apple AirPods - I listen to a lot of podcasts and these are perfect for me. They pair instantly, are always charged and can switch between my iPhone, iPad and MacBook with one click.

Kindle Oasis - I read every day and love the form factor of the Oasis. It is so comfortable to hold. The way it unclips from the battery cover is very smart.

Remote fob for my house alarm - I can turn the alarm on and off from the comfort of my bed when the kids wake up early and want to go downstairs.

Amazon Basics Double Monitor arm - This is so good for getting my 2 27" monitors to the right position for work.

I've had my Leatherman Micra now for a number of years and it's held up pretty well.

UK knife law probably makes it illegal (?) with the blade locked which is ridiculous.

What I'd like to know is whether there is a Micra size version that has mini pliers, not scissors. I was sure I'd seen one but perhaps I was thinking of one of the Squirt variations. Are they much larger?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by howie77 View Post

What I'd like to know is whether there is a Micra size version that has mini pliers, not scissors. I was sure I'd seen one but perhaps I was thinking of one of the Squirt variations. Are they much larger?
    My Squirt (!) is the 'e' (for electrician I think) red version and has pliers / strippers but sadly no scissors, it's about 6 x 2 x 1.2 cm but now discontinued I think.

This one: https://www.multi-tool.co.uk/leather...t-es4-red.html
    Last edited by Jeremy67; 24th May 2017 at 11:33.

howie,
    ps4 has scissors and pliers.
    same size as all squirts.
    truly pocket size

- - - Updated - - -

schwegler bird box. seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Kranzle pressure washer.
    Not cheap.

I suppose you gets what you pays for...

I carried a Leatherman Squirt for years on my keyring and always found it useful. Sadly, I fly too much these days and had to remove it before I forgot one day and ended up donating it to Heathrow.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    Not cheap.

Not cheap at all. I posted a thread on here thinking along the lines of a Nilfisk, but in the end was persuaded by a couple of folk here who owned Kranzles.

Like most things that are well made and have a quality feel though, it makes the weekly job of cleaning the car so much more enjoyable. I'd definitely recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    IME you certainly do with Kranzle, I've used them and they are poles apart from Karcher/own brand units.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Leatherman (I have 3 and I would replace any of them without hesitation as they are all brilliant tools)

My bicycle (in fact any of the component parts thereof) - brilliant design, makes my life better, etc., etc.

PS4 - couldn't live without it

Cheers,

Mark C

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    I carried a Leatherman Squirt for years on my keyring and always found it useful. Sadly, I fly too much these days and had to remove it before I forgot one day and ended up donating it to Heathrow.
    Same thing happened to me with my Victorinox, unfortunately I've learnt only later that I could have taken it with me as the blade was not more than 6 cm long, but of course I wasn't informed about this rule at that point.

1. A thing you regularly use that makes your life better.

Notepad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Having to create network configuration files, this makes things so much easier, syntax highlighting, file comparison, etc ...

VMware Fusion http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion.html

2. The design of this particular example is exceptionally good in your opinion without being crazy expensive.

pfSense https://www.pfsense.org/

IMO the best free home network OS

3. You wished someone had told you about it years ago so you didn't waste time on inferior versions.

See 1 & 2

4. You will likely use it for the rest of your life.

MacOS, sadly I have to use Windows for work.

Master

Thanks Jeremy, Dave

The Squirt looks pretty closely sized to the Micra then. Not entirely sure why but I just seem to have a desire to have pliers over scissors to hand on key ring. Perhaps one of those things that all of a sudden when you have a tool available you find a use for it!

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Many years ago on a similar thread on tz-uk a poster suggested the RazorPit razor sharpener:

I bought one shortly afterwards and it is, without doubt, the best 10 quid I have ever spent. The 'life' of my Gillette razor cartridges has gone up massively, as a rough guess I reckon blade life is around 5x as long as without the Razorpit. I have had kept some Gillette's blades for over 6 months!
    I might look into this, I already push my blades to the limit and have gone probably 6 months on some, by that time though the shave they give you is more like a 5 o'clock shadow :D Anything that will improve the shave after a month in would be great.

Kindle, so nice to travel with multiple books whereas in the past one tome could render your luggage overweight (Matterhorn, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel to name but two)

Astell & Kern Jr and CIEMS to drown out the world when escape is needed.

Ipad

Shell Nitro V Fuel

Kodi Box

Nicorette Quickmist

Honda Lawnmover

Professional Tools (various Dewalt, Metabo, Snap-on, etc)

A Nikon Loupe.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by howie77 View Post
    Thanks Jeremy, Dave

The Squirt looks pretty closely sized to the Micra then. Not entirely sure why but I just seem to have a desire to have pliers over scissors to hand on key ring. Perhaps one of those things that all of a sudden when you have a tool available you find a use for it!
    Having done some googling I realise mine is an e4 and has been superceded by the es4 which boasts scissors as well as the plier / strippers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Having done some googling I realise mine is an e4 and has been superceded by the es4 which boasts scissors as well as the plier / strippers.
    its all in the code
    e= electrical
    s=scissors
    p= pliers

Nose hair trimmers.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I have lots of "Ultimate tools" that I paid good, hard-earned cash for, and as I hardly ever use any of them the Ultimate Tool ................. is ME!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    its all in the code
    e= electrical
    s=scissors
    p= pliers
    And having now also done some googling, I have;

a) discovered that the regular E4, P4 line up are 'retired' (but of course they are, why else would I want something if it wasn't obtainable), and

b) fallen into a rabbit hole of mini-tool madness spiralling through the merits of the SOG Crossgrip v Sebertech / IDL Tools and down into the realms of Leatherman mods (torx screws!).

Triton Super Jaws

One of those best bits of kit. Its like having a mate up to help you with any job. Logs today but it does anything.

https://youtu.be/JGq5uPnEnMg

Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post

god damn you tz, now i want one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post

Was hoping to get some good ideas. I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks!