closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Niche Omega movement question - new Master Chronometer

Niche Omega movement question - new Master Chronometer

Morning. My limited Google skills aren't up to answering this question - does the new Omega Master Chronometer movement, as seen in the new Railmaster, have an hour hand that can step, as some of Omega's chronograph movements do?

This one -

I hope so. I'm always on the look out for an interesting traveler's watch, and I'm also looking for something that I could wear sharp on a NATO. And I'll admit it - it looks like a handsome piece. 40mm, 15m WR (no screw down crown). More in the Hodinkee link HERE

Who knows? Link:

Movement

Like the original Railmaster, the new edition is anti-magnetic and though the Master Co-Axial calibre which drives it is METAS certified for anti-magnetism and chronometer specs, the caseback of the new Omega Railmaster collection is a period authentic closed case. No official details have yet been released by Omega as to the specific calibre but it’s a good chance that it’s the Master Co-Axial 8806.

Omega knows...

Well, that link doesn't mention it, so I guess it doesn't. Hope springs...

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Well, that link doesn't mention it, so I guess it doesn't. Hope springs...
    The 8806 has yet to make it into Omega's instruction manual (online download) or their videos. Best bet may be to identify a model with the c.8806 and see if that has the feature. Depending upon the answer, you can then hold your breath (or not) until Omega let us know what's inside the new model.

Master
    It has been stated in several places that the non LE RM uses the 8806, keep searching. I have seen it reported over on OF by one who has handled one of the new watches that the 8806 does not have the jump hour feature. It is significantly different to the 8500 line in that it has one barrel and is thinner so this does sound plausible. These new models are circa 13-14mm thick vs the 16-18mm of some other recent in house movement boat anchors Omega has produced so I would say the compromise is worth it if indeed this turns out to be the case. The 1957 LE Railmaster and LE SM 300 are also using the 8806 if this helps your search.
    Last edited by Padders; 23rd May 2017 at 08:37.

Hi,

Only looking at the picture I doubt it has a jumping hour hand.
    WR is surely 150m and not 15m

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    WR is surely 150m and not 15m

Cheers
    You're right on the WR, of course. Shame about the hour hand - it would make a great watch for traveling.

Master
    No, the 1 barrel omega movement does not have the quick change hour hand.

The crown position changes the date inthe standard way

I'm always on the look out for an interesting traveler's watch
    IWC UTC? Various versions available used, including 2 'spitfire' versions with applied numerals in silver or black and different 24hr window placement. The hour hand jumps without moving the minute hand.

An excellent choice, and a very mature watch from (IMHO) IWC's golden early '00s period. But I've had a few, and they never sseem to stick. Lovely bracelet, nice size. I don't know what it is about them!

I've had an obsession with traveller's watches traveller's watches for a long time, as this thread from 2005, although for the life of me I can't remember the watch that used to show in the now-defunct pictures!

This thread from 2007 is about the Seiko Landmaster kinetic, which is a good choice, too, but another that didn't stick! Another thread here.

Ooh, and here.

And now I'm just happy that I've got the formatting of those hyperlinks right!

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    No, the 1 barrel omega movement does not have the quick change hour hand.

The crown position changes the date inthe standard way

Really? Because that is exactly what my Globemaster does. I didn't think it was model specific. I'd need to check but I think my Ploprofs are the same. You loose the quick date, but gain an easy change of hour for travelling without hacking the movement.

Or did you mean being able to move it over the 12pm and back to change the date quicker?
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 23rd May 2017 at 15:05.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Really? Because that is exactly what my Globemaster does. I didn't think it was model specific. I'd need to check but I think my Ploprofs are the same. You loose the quick date, but gain an easy change of hour for travelling without hacking the movement.

Or did you mean being able to move it over the 12pm and back to change the date quicker?
    Globemaster doesn't use the 8806 though does it? I think it uses the 8900 twin barrel or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Globemaster doesn't use the 8806 though does it? I think it uses the 8900 twin barrel or similar.
    Single barrel, only around 60hr, 8900/8901. Ploprofs 8500.

Edited: It appears the 8900/8901 is indeed a two barrel movement!
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 23rd May 2017 at 15:49.

Single barrel, only around 60hr, 8900/8901. Ploprofs 8500.
    Globemaster movement:

Calibre: Omega 8900
    Self-winding movement with Co-Axial escapement. Certified Master Chronometer, approved by METAS, resistant to magnetic fields reaching 15,000 gauss. Free sprung-balance with silicon balance spring, two barrels mounted in series, automatic winding in both directions. Time zone function. Special luxury finish with rhodium-plated rotor and bridges with Geneva waves in arabesque.
    Power reserve: 60 hours
    Type: Self winding

Well I never - two barrels and only 60hrs! I am suitably chastised :0) I have read the specs a number of times in the past, but must have glossed over the 2 barrels given the low power reserve.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like it's the usual operation for the hour hand and time setting. Still, a handsome watch. I'll get my hands on it in the summer if I can. Will report back if I do!

Journeyman
    Well I never - two barrels and only 60hrs! I am suitably chastised :0) I have read the specs a number of times in the past, but must have glossed over the 2 barrels given the low power reserve.
    I always assumed the main purpose of the two-barrel setup was to produce more consistent torque, rather than a long PR.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Brien View Post
    I always assumed the main purpose of the two-barrel setup was to produce more consistent torque, rather than a long PR.
    Well it certainly is in this case, because the PR isn't particularly great for 2017!

Master
    Well it certainly is in this case, because the PR isn't particularly great for 2017!
    Not when you consider that Rolex/Tudor and even Certina/Tissot can kick out 70 hours plus from one barrel!