closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One watch. Can it be done?

It's doubtful, but the LV, a Speedy of some sort and maybe something a little different like the Ti Grand Seiko diver.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    ^
    Pfft — it's easily sustainable. Steel Rolex: done.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Here's mine, the one watch I've worn since I bought it last September:

Blog Entries
    I seem to recall someone a few years back getting their collection down to a Rolex Sub, an Explorer II, and a Speedmaster. He then claimed that he was sticking to that.

Did the resolution hold?

And I'm not sure I believe anyone else on here can get it down to one. I'd guess the average is nearer a dozen.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    It looks like a Pythoconda to me.
    Its a West African Gaboon Viper.....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    It's doubtful, but the LV, a Speedy of some sort and maybe something a little different like the Ti Grand Seiko diver.

That is really nice!!!

^
    Meh. I still don't think it's capable of ticking the dress watch box. It's a do all sports watch like so many others but the divide of sports and dress is the real problem. Having one watch that has just enough of s foot in both camps is the challenge here I think. 36mm black bay or Rolex explorer at a push?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    Bloody hell.
    I used to milk these for their venom but never thought of using a length of scaffolding.
    Or a Sinn.
    Genious

Blog Entries
    I was less than serious. And I am way more familiar with the African family of Adders than I would like to be.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    I seem to recall someone a few years back getting their collection down to a Rolex Sub, an Explorer II, and a Speedmaster. He then claimed that he was sticking to that.

Did the resolution hold?

And I'm not sure I believe anyone else on here can get it down to one. I'd guess the average is nearer a dozen.
    Sounds like decent, do it all/bases covered collection!

I've got two 'dwellers coz I ust can't sell the 4k, the Tudor BB Red goes soon and will be replaced by a Zenith tipo cp2 very soon.

A GMT would round it all off - BUT I won't get back to a larger collection ever...

Craftsman
    Since the BLNR arrived the other 9 watches in the collection have been worn next to zero.

I'm not sure I could take the plunge and go to one, but there certainly needs to be a thinning out.

Sent from my SM-G925F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gerasimos33 View Post
    I wear almost every day this:

If I buy the bracelet, I think I can live with just that one, at least for now.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    One watch. Can it be done?

No.
    YES

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Answer to the question is no...

I love my JLC Reverso Duo Face to bits. It's the perfect dress watch - but far too fragile for everyday.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

For most regular people it is done with one. If I had to it would be the SDc. Nice not to have to choose though.

Craftsman
    Nope, I have at least 3 watches in my collection that I regularly wear and need. Actually more like 4. Plus another five which I wear less often. Ok, you got the idea, sometimes I think it would be nice to have just one watch, but it would never work with me.

Master
    Like most here I do not need to be reduced to one watch. Funnily enough though, I was thinking about this as I was walking the dog yesterday and decided that I would get a BLNR as a one-watch solution.

Might just be an excuse to justify getting a BLNR though?

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    ^ Sounds like it, unless you plan to sell the others when the BLNR arrives!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    ^ Sounds like it, unless you plan to sell the others when the BLNR arrives!
    Cannot see this happening !

I have a few watches set-aside for the kids anyway so will not go below four. In which circumstances do the set-aside ones count as part of a collection ?

One watch. Can it be done?

Of course it can, I guess the majority of folk are non wis with only one watch, its idiots like us that keep watch companies in business.

^
    You know what we haven't talked about is material - I'm not sure if I could pick steel as the only watch. It'd have to be Ti for so many reasons. My last two watches have been Ti (my next incoming in Aug is also Ti) and I realise how inadequate steel is if it's an only watch....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hopak View Post
    Bloody hell.
    I used to milk these for their venom but never thought of using a length of scaffolding.
    Or a Sinn.
    Genious
    Wow, have we ever met?

Without boring the other members... that is a neck-brace tool that I personally designed in 1993 upon arrival at LSTM and thinking there must be a better way of controlling NeoTropical Rattlesnakes with their small heads, slender necks and hefty bodies.... I built it from a old rake handle, couple of brackets and some padded plastic pipe... I wrote up an article about it. Been in use for 24 years and has made life so much easier!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gc52 View Post
    Cannot see this happening !

I have a few watches set-aside for the kids anyway so will not go below four. In which circumstances do the set-aside ones count as part of a collection ?
    Do you worry that in years to come people will not wear watches? There are already plenty of middle aged adults that don't wear watches.

From a nostalgic point of view though it would be nice!

I have a number of watches that belonged to my two grandfathers and one grandmother. At least one would have been worn during the war from what I was told.

Master
    One 'nice' watch works for me, 16570. My other 4 are my knockabout watches of limited value and only worn when my Exp II isn't appropriate to the job.

I suppose it all boils down to finding the right watch that grows on you enough that you end up with no desire to take it off and put something else on. I would guess a lot of people never get to this stage and change watches for a variety of reasons or just practical purposes based on what they are doing that day.

I have been wearing my Speedmaster Moonphase for a month now since getting it and it is becoming THE watch. I have no desire to take it off and has me questioning if I actually need to own anything else.

Master
    I bought an Omega Seamaster DeVille when I was eighteen, and wore it for 22 years, at which point the hands fell off. So yes, it can be done.

Master
    It can be done, whether it can be maintained is another question.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I have been wearing my Speedmaster Moonphase for a month now since getting it and it is becoming THE watch. I have no desire to take it off and has me questioning if I actually need to own anything else.
    Of course you don't need to, but that's not the point, is it?

Still, it says a lot about the Omega that's it's gone unrivaled for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Of course you don't need to, but that's not the point, is it?

Still, it says a lot about the Omega that's it's gone unrivaled for so long.
    I think the key point to this thread is that it is almost impossible to say my next purchase will be my forever one watch, even if it is something that you have waited a while for. The one watch finds you. Many watches come and go, then all of a sudden for no reason at all one watch just hits the spot and that is it.

Banned
    I've worn one watch for over a year, but I still own others, they just don't get worn too often, but doesn't mean I'll let them go.

There are too many who feel the need to wear a watch because they've bought it and in collecting terms, the two don't necessarily go together.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm the opposite. If it isn't being worn then it goes.

One girl - yes
    One watch - no
    Or the other way around, but that's far more complicated

Master
    Gaboon viper was my guess. Why anyone would volunteer to go anywhere near it, I cannot imagine.

Master
    Back on topic: I go through phases of expanding and reducing, but even in the latter I can't imagine going down to one. The fun is in the rotation and having different styles for different occasions or even moods.
    If I went down to one, I'd have to quit all forums. The temptation would be too much to handle. I doff my cap to those with better self-control

Journeyman
    Not possible for me, but I've reduced my collection from 8 to 2 this year so there's a start..

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The one watch finds you. Many watches come and go, then all of a sudden for no reason at all one watch just hits the spot and that is it.
    Yep, that's about it. I think one maybe gets a sense of what the 'one' could be (chrono or blue dial or applied indices and so forth), but actually pinning it down can be as much (or more) to do with luck than judgement.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I'm the opposite. If it isn't being worn then it goes.
    I don't think any 'general' question can ever be answered to the OP's preference on watch forums, as we all differ so much.

I used to have a large collection, which I rotated, then reduced to premium pieces and did the same. Along came the grail, which pushed others further into wearing history and then the hobby fuelled the gathering of yet another collection.

Now I still mainly wear the 'grail', but acquire others because, simply, it's my hobby.

If you like watches enough to belong to a watch forum then I don't think one watch will do it.

One watch for 80% or 90% of the time plus a cheap beater and a dress watch for the rest of the time would be better.

Craftsman
    one watch, ideally it should be a rolex explorer or rolex expolorer II, I reckon these two are the most versatile, but also relatively expensive watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangelos View Post
    one watch, ideally it should be a rolex explorer or rolex expolorer II, I reckon these two are the most versatile, but also relatively expensive watches.
    There is no should be. Different for every one.

One watch, I really don't think so. I have 5 beaters (G-Shock, Seiko, Vostok) and they are not financially challenging to own. As a one decent watch solution the 16570 ticks all bases for me, but then you start looking at the icons such as the Sub and Speedmaster.

I watched Silence of the Lambs last night, and I thought it had some TZ parallels, not that you are all serial killers!

"No, he covets. That's his nature. And how do we begin to covet, Clarice? Do we seek out things to covet?....We begin by coveting what we see every day. .....And don't your eyes seek out the things you want?"

The incoming and Friday threads have a lot to answer for! Must go and find a dress watch to covet :O

Dave

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    I don't think any 'general' question can ever be answered to the OP's preference on watch forums, as we all differ so much.

I used to have a large collection, which I rotated, then reduced to premium pieces and did the same. Along came the grail, which pushed others further into wearing history and then the hobby fuelled the gathering of yet another collection.

Now I still mainly wear the 'grail', but acquire others because, simply, it's my hobby.
    I suppose our personalities are reflected in our methods within the same hobby.

In life I dislike ornament, like purpose, and work on the principle that if i haven't looked at or used something for a significant length of time then it's redundant clutter.
    As much as I appreciate collections of 25+ watches that others have, that volume would drive me nuts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I thought it had some TZ parallels, not that you are all serial killers!
    Not all, no.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

In life I dislike ornament, like purpose, and work on the principle that if i haven't looked at or used something for a significant length of time then it's redundant clutter.
    Me too. Down to three watches now. I feel more comfortable.
    I'm awake because of an incredible storm.....really violent lightning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Me too. Down to three watches now. I feel more comfortable.
    I'm awake because of an incredible storm.....really violent lightning.
    You angered the horological gods. They think you don't respect them enough.

I am down to a comfortable two, one proper watch for real life one I use for work

If I had a better job (office etc) I would be more than happy with one watch, I should have tried harder I suppose

Master
    Probably an unpopular opinion but while I own a few watches the only one I've worn in the past 2 years is my apple watch. It's just too damn useful and fits in anywhere, smart (on a leather or steel strap), casual (on a silicon or nylon), whatever. Only take it off at night to charge, which isn;t really necessary for a couple of days but I don;t like sleeping with a watch on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I don;t like sleeping with a watch on.
    Heretic.

The only reason I take mine off is that my significant other complains about the lume.

Can't believe I've not contributed to this thread earlier...

I regard watch collecting as a hobby (interest/fascination/mania... call it what you will!), and as such if I just owned one watch I would no longer have that hobby. I like variety in colours/case materials/straps and wear a different watch every day - it's now very much part of who I am.

As such I would not want to go down to one watch because I'd miss this whole thing we enjoy.

Besides, I've spent 12 years getting my collection to this point and I really like the way it's developed - and it's now half the size it used to be...

Having said all that, I have recognised two things...

Firstly, if I needed money the Panerai would be the first to go (only because I'd realise the most cash from selling it).

Secondly, if I was forced to go down to one all-purpose watch from my current collection it would probably be the Skyland.

Simon

Craftsman
    The variety in that watch box is very similar to mine. I like to buy watches that are as different to the other as possible. Although, the thought of going down to one watch feels almost exhilarating. The bond you would form with that one watch would be pretty great too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk