closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One watch. Can it be done?

Sure. And technically I could just live with one pair of trousers too.

I wear almost every day this:

If I buy the bracelet, I think I can live with just that one, at least for now.

I always thought your watch was an expression of your personality. So one watch - which the vast majority of watch wearers stick to - makes sense, as you have one personality to express. But then as you get into watches you realise they have different functions. So I think having one sports watch, dress watch, diving watch (for that one time you go scuba diving on holiday), military watch (for that one time you go paintballing) etc makes sense.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGood View Post
    I always thought your watch was an expression of your personality. So one watch - which the vast majority of watch wearers stick to - makes sense, as you have one personality to express. But then as you get into watches you realise they have different functions. So I think having one sports watch, dress watch, diving watch (for that one time you go scuba diving on holiday), military watch (for that one time you go paintballing) etc makes sense.
    Sound logic apart from the last statement......it doesn' t have to make sense!

I class myself as a collector, mainly vintage Omegas but a fair number of more modern watches too. No particular theme, I buy what appeals to me, and I've learned not to be heavily influenced by the opinion of others.

Buy what you like and build a collection over a period of time, buy at the right price second hand and they're a reasonable investment. Definitely can't see the appeal of owning one.....or even three!

Paul

Master
    I am sure it can be done, but why?

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    I'm sure it can be done but... why???
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I am sure it can be done, but why?
    There's an echo in here.

Master
    Mmmmmm, possibly.

Over the years I've been through quite a few and always end up back in the Rolex camp. So if i had to pick one watch and walk away from watches for good I think it would probably be a 116610LN.

However, right now the only watch I wear is my DSSD but that is in the knowledge I have others should i want to have a change. The 5711 I got i think I've worn maybe 5 times tops, but its nice to know its there. Others, and some of them not too bad, just sit in the watch box and v.v.v.v.v.v occasionally I'll take them out, put them on and go nah and put them away and put the DSSD back on.

This is in the knowledge that I have the others should I want to wear them and for me I think thats the difference. I am essentially at the minute a one watch guy, I only wear the one, all the time. But its not the only one I own, and thats the rub. I am happy to wear one but not just to have one.

I'm off to see the psychiatrist..............................

Blog Entries
    I've had up to 6/7 at one time and down to as few as few as 1, it wouldn't be possible now as 1 of them is my Sqn 100th anniversary Bremont which I'm never wearing as a daily! I'm currently at 4 but thinking of switching the SD4k for a 16600 and something else, plus have one of Lorne's watches earmarked to be made later on this year.

Master
    I had a Revue Thommen Quartz Airspeed Chrono (titanium centre-minute chromo, with quickset hour hand and 0-60 bezel) for 10 years as the only watch I ever wore, except for an old Seiko in the drawer for when the RT needed service or repairs, and 2-3 old, u/s watches I never even looked at. I was pretty happy with that, until the RT finally expired and I discovered this place and WUS. In the past 9 years I've been through around 30 watches, and finally found one that could (almost) be my OneWatch - my Rolex GMT II 16710 which offers a nice size, relatively low profile, good functionality, and great quality.

However, I do need to use chronographs from time to time, so would have to have something else. I do currently have two, both titanium centre-minute chronos, one with quartz quickset, one Lemania 5100, but could settle for one of those, plus my GMT II.

Of course, that does leave the question of what to do with my RN issue CWC Fat Case Navigator - rarer than a Rolex MilSub - the Casio I use as a bedside alarm and the Omega SMP I wear when I want a change, sword hands and great lume.

For myself, I've always (since joining this place, anyway) thought in terms of a GMT, a Diver and Chromo, with a Classic - though that could be one of the other three. So One would be tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    One watch. Can it be done?

No.
    No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Yes but if it's your hobby then no.

Most people I know get away with no watch.

Master
    I've seen a few one watch guys on the forum over the years, but they usually let slip they have a G-Shock or similar too 'for gardening/working on the car'!

I think Scooter on here got a Sub a few years back and is still smitten I believe.

The formula I tend to use is [ideal number of watches = current number of watches +1]...

That said, I'm down to four at the moment having been up near twenty previously.

Master
    If I asked myself the same question last year would of said a def no no, always have three to four knocking around- Bought myself an Omega Seamaster 'Master' at the end of the year and must say it hasn't been off my wrist, currently away on my hols, glidelock style clasp has been a revelation, So handy just to be able to micro adjust it instantly. Perfect for messing about on the beach and later on dining out......

Before going away I convinced myself that I needed a new beater so ordered a quartz Glycine Sub, hasn't even been delivered but will be going on SC as will no doubt just sit in its box........

Perfectly possible but unlikely in my case. I think if you are considering reducing the collection it is important to consider how easy it would be to replace them if you change your mind.

Master
    Of course you could, and on the plus side presumably it would be a better watch than you would otherwise have. But there are obvious compromises. It will have to be an all rounder, say a dressy sports watch or a flexible dress watch, so you'll have less choice. It may not be the best option with what you are wearing, as in the case of a diving watch / suit combination. You'll have to be comfortable wearing it everywhere, which might not be the case with something more valuabale. It's likely to look a lot more worn, a lot more quickly. And what will you wear when it's being serviced?

On the plus side again, you will have less service charges to worry about, which will save enough money to buy a nice quartz or vintage piece to wear while it's away, making two (or theee) watches a more sensible minimum for me personally. The idea does have its attractions though, if something like a Nautilus, Calatrava or AP15202ST suddenly moves from unattainable Grail to everyday wearer.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 23rd May 2017 at 12:44.

Master
    I did it for nearly 12 years !
    Had a major grump on the when it was away for servicing, then during a prolonged spell in the Watch Hospital I started thinking about a put-me-on......
    Several purchases later I find myself on here.....
    It gets worse !

For me, an resounding 'no'.

The very least would have to be 2.

1) A nice daily wearer - nothing too expensive (such as my Omega GW)

2) A gym/phys watch - my Garmin 735.

You could do away with the GW, and just use the Garmin, but it's nice to have nice things :)

Master
    I should also add I have a running watch, purely for running and a G-shock for gardening/working outside.

Those don't count :-)

Master

It can be done...

If I had to, i think i could live with just my 16710 GMTII - it does everything I need and it's sufficiently robust to be a daily wearer.

I am considering going down to three: 16600 as a beater, 16710 as a frequent wearer, and 1803 Day-Date as a dress watch. I think that would do everything I need and be a cast-iron financial choice as well, should the need ever arise.

I have a whole bunch of other watches that I never wear, but I love having them in the watch box, and I think that's where the problem lies - as a wearer my needs are small, but as a collector my desires are huge

Master

Tried!

Simple answer like many is no!

I have had points where I've needed to get some money back out of my collection, all Ive ended up doing at those points is start buying cheaper watches😂👍🏻

I think realistically many friends I have only keep one watch and that seems to be mostly a Rolex or an Omega? In their minds it is just a watch and as long as they pick a happy medium that can double up in many situations, which plenty of Omega and Rolex do then their happy !

For me I love Chronographs firstly then divers(vintage!) but then there are another few styles I like on top of that so it never ends and in true WIS style I always lust over the next find??

I genuinely want to get to a point where I stick with one watch for everyday, then have a watch for some different situations? Like smart, casual, holiday etc etc!!

Just thinking of trying to go down to one watch for this thread is giving me palpitations so I'm guessing it won't happen for me anytime soon?!? I even have watches like many on here that I don't wear but do look at and handle from time to time and they're not investment pieces they're just watches I spent a while searching for!!
    I'm not hurting anyone by having a huge collection again so for me it's a no brainer plus I can't save money so this is kind of like that or at least that's what I tell the wife😂😂

Chris

The 'one watch' theory is used to justify consolidation for one expensive piece before inevitably adding several cheaper watches immediately afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    The 'one watch' theory is used to justify consolidation for one expensive piece before inevitably adding several cheaper watches immediately afterwards
    Quite right

Craftsman
    Some days I don't even like wearing one watch all day, before needing a change.

Only one watch would take away the daily, sometimes more often, joy of selecting which one to wear.

Journeyman
    The only way one watch is going to happen is :-

1. Buy first watch
    2. Never visit a watch forum

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Zero or one watch can be done.

I doubt that many here will have much enthusiasm for such an idea / concept though !

Cannot wait to see Ken's next catch, whatever that may be (?), in due course.
    Last edited by gc52; 23rd May 2017 at 18:11.

Master
    I'm still not clear on why the OP wants to get down to just one watch. Is it because the three he has are fairly similar? It doesn't seem as though it's driven by a desire to free up money.

I know what you mean about the plots being too small on the 14060; that was why I got rid of mine within a few days of getting it, and then set course for an LV.

Have you considered light-coloured dials? Cheaper models than Rolex? I have a few of the latter but am really enjoying a Nomos Club. If I had to go from nine to one, the Nomos might even edge out my 1016 and 1675, which I've had for years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    I'm still not clear on why the OP wants to get down to just one watch. Is it because the three he has are fairly similar? It doesn't seem as though it's driven by a desire to free up money.
    A life de-clutter has prompted it really. I get a remarkable cleansing feeling knowing I've rid myself of stuff I'm not using. Ebay has been getting a tremendous rattle this past few weeks, and charity shops have been handsomely restocked!

Back to watches, I've listened to some advice and have tucked two of the watches away, pretending they don't exist. I'll wear the LV for the next few weeks and see how things go.
    Last edited by demonloop; 24th May 2017 at 07:55.

Master

Cool

Very wise,I got the declutter bug and threw out a jacket I now miss.Act in haste,repent at leisure

No way but wise I could I'd save a hell of a lot of money

Master
    Been thinking about this question and if I REALLY had to I would choose my PAM 49 as its look changes greatly with different strap choices.
    Leather

Rubber

Or NATO

But I still wouldn't wish to do it....

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

For somebody who wants a watch just to tell the time YES But if watches mean more to you than just their operational use then NO

If like the OP you have equity to own several Rolex then why the hell would you just limit yourself to one watch? I could buy a Rolex if I sold my collection and I would love that watch, but sooner or later I would have a wandering eye again.

Sometimes I keep a watch on for a month or more other times I change throughout the day and I like the option to do this so I dont think I could be a 1WW (one watch wonder) for long..

The answer of course should be yes but, on here, the answer is a definite no.

I think I could get down to 2 (One expensive, one beater) but realistically 3 would be my low limit: One Diver, one GMT, One Chrono.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    i don't remember seeing any post on here from someone who has consolidated into a one watch solution that has lasted more than six months.
    more often than not, it just heralds the start of a new collection.
    just my 2p
    From many to one, five years ago and still with just the one, and still an avid watch person. Bit like girlfriends really in that when you finally find the one it's all you need for the rest of your life. Doesn't stop you looking at all the others though, particularly if they have massive boo..., complications.

Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    From many to one, five years ago and still with just the one, and still an avid watch person. Bit like girlfriends really in that when you finally find the one it's all you need for the rest of your life. Doesn't stop you looking at all the others though, particularly if they have massive boo..., complications.
    It's not a casio is it?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    It's not a casio is it?
    Casio would be the choice if I was 17, but as I'm not I had to make the perfect, 'only need the one for everything I do and every situation I'm in' watch myself:

edit: of course, it's the perfect watch for me, which doesn't mean it's by default the perfect watch for everyone..
    Last edited by LorneG; 17th July 2017 at 14:45.

Craftsman

That's my experience so far.

I am a bad seller and really like options. Though my buying levels have dropped massively, 1-2 a yr max. Usually thats under 1k. This yr I got a Seiko Landmaster. Quartz, super versatile and love it.

If I went one watch it'd be that; most likely one watch would mean needing a cheaper watch. I don't see how an expensive watch as an only watch is sustainable IMO.

^
    Pfft — it's easily sustainable. Steel Rolex: done.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    ^
    Pfft — it's easily sustainable. Steel Rolex: done.
    I concur.
    They're very much do everything watches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I concur.
    They're very much do everything watches.
    Rolex is the 911 of watches (or is it the Jag XK8?) but not everyone wants to drive a Porsche. Way back when, I had a 911 which I loved and couldn't see any reason for changing,.. right up to the point someone gobbed the most massive huley on it as I drove past them.

Craftsman
    Collection gradually disappearing and going to end up with 2. Sub ND and a smurf.

Why? Goodness knows. It's just the way the journey's gone.

For past three months I have been down to a Speedmaster with a G Shock as a back up.

Will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Craftsman
    YES!!!

I have worn this Sinn U2 for 10 years and 21 days straight! It has become part of me....
    216259_10150232108076397_5624912_n by , on Flickr

It stopped working last week and will be going back to Germany with my Sister next month... but this is what it looks like after tens years of daily wear and travel to Rainforests, Deserts and other rough environments ..
    IMG_6365 by , on Flickr

I now wish that I held on to my original Seiko "Tuna" as a back up watch.
    Untitled by , on Flickr

I have a new Seiko SRPA81J1 en-route to me..... which has actually rekindled my interest in Seiko watches.

And yes, I have been a member of this forum for 11 years and only worn 2 watches.
    Last edited by PDR; 17th July 2017 at 15:45.

Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    YES!!!

I have worn this Sinn U2 for 10 years and 21 days straight! It has become part of me....
    216259_10150232108076397_5624912_n by Paul Rowley,.
    Is that a slow worm?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    Is that a slow worm?
    It looks like a Pythoconda to me.

Where's Derek when you need him.

Craftsman
    'It stopped working last week and will be going back to Germany with my Sister next month... but this is what it looks like after tens years of daily wear and travel to Rainforests, Deserts and other rough environments ..'

I bet it just needs fresh oil in the movement bearings and any dust that's got inside cleaned out - otherwise known as a regular 5-8 year service.

Good to see you've got the new strap material ready!

Master
    I'm (temporarily) back up to 3, but one will likely go when I decide which of the black/polar 16570s I prefer.

I'm really smitten with the model right now.

I could end up selling my LV, but buying one in the future could be even more expensive than this one was.

As an every day watch the Explorer II is my "grab and go" right now though.

Ryan