closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One watch. Can it be done?

Hybrid View

Master

One watch. Can it be done?

"Act in haste, regret at leisure" is what I've been telling myself whilst considering going down the 'one watch' route recently.

So I'd like opinions - can it be done? And, more importantly, has anyone done it and regretted it?

Right now, I have three watches - all similar (boring if you like!) but all slightly different. A 14060m, a SD4k, and a 16610LV.

The SD4k was bought recently, a little in haste (FOMO - fear of missing out, my wife calls it) but it's my least favourite of the three.

Of the ceramics it's my favourite, but I still prefer the 5 digit models.

The 14060m would be perfect, if it had a maxi dial.

The 16610LV ticks all the buttons, and I could consider a spare black bezel just as an option.

The alternative is to sell the lot and buy something really special, but if it was too expensive I wouldn't wear it so I don't think that's an option.

So, one watch. Can it be done?

i don't remember seeing any post on here from someone who has consolidated into a one watch solution that has lasted more than six months.
    more often than not, it just heralds the start of a new collection.
    just my 2p
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I had one watch for a couple of years and was content. But. Ideally one for week and one for weekend is a decent minimalist pair.

I had one watch for about 5 years, an Omega Seamaster. A great watch, and I was content.
    Unfortunately Col (cgs) then introduced me to TZ! I would say my collection varies between 7 and 20 watches nowadays

No.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post

No.
    +1

Well, +65 actually.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

No.
    No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No.
    YES

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I did it and was very happy with a SD4k, perfect size, weight, proportions, design and that beautiful clasp. Unfortunately the SD43 was released and I had to upgrade. And, Gawd, it's magnificent!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    i don't remember seeing any post on here from someone who has consolidated into a one watch solution that has lasted more than six months.
    more often than not, it just heralds the start of a new collection.
    just my 2p
    From many to one, five years ago and still with just the one, and still an avid watch person. Bit like girlfriends really in that when you finally find the one it's all you need for the rest of your life. Doesn't stop you looking at all the others though, particularly if they have massive boo..., complications.

Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    From many to one, five years ago and still with just the one, and still an avid watch person. Bit like girlfriends really in that when you finally find the one it's all you need for the rest of your life. Doesn't stop you looking at all the others though, particularly if they have massive boo..., complications.
    It's not a casio is it?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    It's not a casio is it?
    Casio would be the choice if I was 17, but as I'm not I had to make the perfect, 'only need the one for everything I do and every situation I'm in' watch myself:

edit: of course, it's the perfect watch for me, which doesn't mean it's by default the perfect watch for everyone..
    Last edited by LorneG; 17th July 2017 at 14:45.

Craftsman

That's my experience so far.

I am a bad seller and really like options. Though my buying levels have dropped massively, 1-2 a yr max. Usually thats under 1k. This yr I got a Seiko Landmaster. Quartz, super versatile and love it.

If I went one watch it'd be that; most likely one watch would mean needing a cheaper watch. I don't see how an expensive watch as an only watch is sustainable IMO.

Craftsman
    Of course it can. You could even have no watches! It is a choice.

For the watch aficionados then 1 is tough to cover all eventualities/conditions. If I had to then I could get to 2. Explorer I and a G-Shock. Not sure I could cope with 1 anymore!

Your 3 are a bit similar for my taste (and wallet), but it would be boring if we all liked the same things.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    It has been said that three watches would be the perfect amount. A sports watch, an everyday watch, and a dressy watch. Possibly do without the latter but two is a minimum.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Whilst I managed to wear one watch for about 80% of the time over an 8 year period, I think that I would now have difficulty getting down to 7-10. So I don't think sticking to one watch would work for me.

Perhaps try it out by locking 2 away for a few months and see how you get on?

Master
    I'd say a lot of people only ever wear one watch so yes it is entirely possible. That is until you join a forum like this.

Until this year I had just one watch and didn't even wear it much. Now I've convinced myself the need for a watch for gardening (G-Shock), watch for everyday (Seiko 5), watch for occasions (Rolex 14060M)..

Yes, get a sub and get out or if feeling special get the SeaDweller 4000 and get out. Both are very much "one watch" collections.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yes, get a sub and get out or if feeling special get the SeaDweller 4000 and get out. Both are very much "one watch" collections.
    0/10 for reading my post mate - already got two subs and a SD4000 :-)

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. I think the week/weekend watch suggestion could be a runner.

I actually fancy another go at the 2016 Explorer, so that's a possibility.

I'm conscious my three current watches are very similar, so maybe swapping two out for the Explorer could work.

Master
    1 - no.

But a Speedy pro and a quartz for swimming/ sport etc. Anything from a g-shock to a quartz aquaracer/ aerospace depending on taste & budget. I could get away with those two, but choose not to!

Hahaha

Come on...

This coming from a guy who already has 3 almost similar watches (same brand, same colour, same material,same inspiration..) and thinks of buying a 4th one again same brand, same everything...
    Have you tried anything else than Rolex? ;-)
    No way you will 'survive' with only one!

I'd go with at least 3....but please try something else than Rolex....FTLOG

If, and I say If because my box is full, I would go for: my Anniversary ('71) Speedy, the MM and my father's gold dress Zodiac.....should fulfil every need...but then there is also the X33 I really love, the UX SDR, the SD, the EZM1....and many more including the Apple Watch (don't laugh)and my newly acquired Oris 65 vintage (love it)

so no way I can get out of this one...

Master
    if I distilled everything down to what I tend to want/need I would need 3:

DSSD - would cover smart, casual and dressy
    GPS Suunto - would cover outdoor and sports activities
    Normal Suunto - work.

but I'd miss everything else.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    Come on...

I'd go with at least 3....but please try something else than Rolex....FTLOG

I'm my defence, I've had Seamasters, Planet Oceans, Breitlings, several Sinn, a few IWC etc etc.

I'm happiest in the Rolex camp though!

And Ken, it was your post that prompted this - and I'm on a general declutter in life generally which hasn't helped!

Craftsman
    It's like asking a woman if she could get along with one jewellery... not a chance :)

Perfectly possible but unlikely in my case. I think if you are considering reducing the collection it is important to consider how easy it would be to replace them if you change your mind.

Master
    Of course you could, and on the plus side presumably it would be a better watch than you would otherwise have. But there are obvious compromises. It will have to be an all rounder, say a dressy sports watch or a flexible dress watch, so you'll have less choice. It may not be the best option with what you are wearing, as in the case of a diving watch / suit combination. You'll have to be comfortable wearing it everywhere, which might not be the case with something more valuabale. It's likely to look a lot more worn, a lot more quickly. And what will you wear when it's being serviced?

On the plus side again, you will have less service charges to worry about, which will save enough money to buy a nice quartz or vintage piece to wear while it's away, making two (or theee) watches a more sensible minimum for me personally. The idea does have its attractions though, if something like a Nautilus, Calatrava or AP15202ST suddenly moves from unattainable Grail to everyday wearer.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 23rd May 2017 at 12:44.

Master
    I did it for nearly 12 years !
    Had a major grump on the when it was away for servicing, then during a prolonged spell in the Watch Hospital I started thinking about a put-me-on......
    Several purchases later I find myself on here.....
    It gets worse !

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    0/10 for reading my post mate - already got two subs and a SD4000 :-)
    Ha, got me. I read the title on tapatalk and clicked in a few posts down and read then, apologies. I think a 2-3/10 is in order.

Weekend watch could do it but if you keep the SD4K and purchase a 2016 Explorer you're at risk of having two very nice watches with neither screaming 'weekend'. Imho a weekend watch would be something like a D-Blue or an AP diver.

An earlier comment said selling all could simply start the beginning of a new collection instead of a consolidation is probably right.

Yes. Having had collections exceeding 15 watches I have recently consolidated down to one watch, the Blancpain Fifty fathoms. Since receiving it I have been trying to run with just the one watch and so far it has been successful. The acid test was when the blue Gemini IV Speedmaster appeared on SC last week and that is a watch that I have always wanted, but I looked down at my wrist and thought would I take the FF off to wear the Speedmaster and the answer was no.

I did say that when I got the FF it was a one watch experiment and so far the watch is winning.

Master
    I started with a 1 watch life 15 years ago. Now have 3. Can't go back so would say No can't be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    One decent watch is fine; there are hundreds to choose from, all entirely adequate. It's just not what we choose to do .
    As for the idea that a hulking watch like the Deep Sea is ideal for 'smart' wear.....you could always wear flippers with a suit. We watch enthusiasts get some strange ideas. The ideal one-watch is probably a simple date-Just. Kept for life. But how boring is that..........collecting is not rational, it is simply a harmless bit of fun.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    One decent watch is fine; there are hundreds to choose from, all entirely adequate. It's just not what we choose to do .
    As for the idea that a hulking watch like the Deep Sea is ideal for 'smart' wear.....you could always wear flippers with a suit. We watch enthusiasts get some strange ideas. The ideal one-watch is probably a simple date-Just. Kept for life. But how boring is that..........collecting is not rational, it is simply a harmless bit of fun.
    a DSSD isn't that big.

The 'one watch' theory is used to justify consolidation for one expensive piece before inevitably adding several cheaper watches immediately afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    The 'one watch' theory is used to justify consolidation for one expensive piece before inevitably adding several cheaper watches immediately afterwards
    Quite right

Craftsman
    Some days I don't even like wearing one watch all day, before needing a change.

I suppose it all boils down to finding the right watch that grows on you enough that you end up with no desire to take it off and put something else on. I would guess a lot of people never get to this stage and change watches for a variety of reasons or just practical purposes based on what they are doing that day.

I have been wearing my Speedmaster Moonphase for a month now since getting it and it is becoming THE watch. I have no desire to take it off and has me questioning if I actually need to own anything else.

Journeyman
    In a word ....no

Since my last incoming I have only been wearing the one watch. It's been 2 weeks now which is a record for me...so who knows?

Master
    Can it be done? Of course it can, but I wouldn't want to. If I had to go to one watch that I currently own it would be my 36mm Oyster Perpetual with steel dial. I think it comes close to being fit for any occasion. Otherwise I would probably opt for a Date Just 36mm.

Master
    Zero or one watch can be done.

I doubt that many here will have much enthusiasm for such an idea / concept though !

Cannot wait to see Ken's next catch, whatever that may be (?), in due course.
    Last edited by gc52; 23rd May 2017 at 18:11.

People who have reduced to one watch have usually found that the choice was made subconsciously, not deliberately: they just discovered that they were scarcely wearing the other watches, and so sold them off.

I've never seen an attempt to force that process work.

Craftsman
    I seem to wear my PO the most , so this would be my fall back IF I had to go down to one watch. But would I ? , nope I would be bored.

Master

Cool

Well clearly it can be done in that most people in real life do wear only one watch.But T'Zers always have to have a 'next thing ' so giving that up would be a big ask.I doubt if can be done by will power,may just happen.Good luck.

It can be done.

Here's mine, the one watch I've worn since I bought it last September:

Now, there's a caveat (of course). I do own three others: a G-Shock that didn't sell in my Explorer-funding cull, and two Time Factors that I keep only for sentimental purposes – otherwise they probably would have been sold off too. None of them has been worn since I got the Explorer, and I don't really plan on wearing any of them in future either.

Now, I wouldn't necessarily say it's been easy. Just like Ken mentioned above, there have been temptations. Either I've seen something I liked or I just pined for the thrill of the chase of a new watch. However, when it comes down to it I've asked myself whether I'd wear the proposed new watch instead of the Explorer, and in every case the answer's been no, so that's that.

Top tip: It also helps having a young family that sucks up any disposable income.

Most things can be done - if you really want to do them.

Personally, even if I only wear a small number of pieces most of the time I like having a few boxes full of various other ones. Its fun.

I wish I could.

Even before the illness took hold and I became a "collector" I had several watches. Occasionally I speculate on what the "one watch" would be if I was only allowed one (I'd be torn between a 5513 and a vintage Explorer 1). But I would never choose to limit myself to one.

Master
    I'm still not clear on why the OP wants to get down to just one watch. Is it because the three he has are fairly similar? It doesn't seem as though it's driven by a desire to free up money.

I know what you mean about the plots being too small on the 14060; that was why I got rid of mine within a few days of getting it, and then set course for an LV.

Have you considered light-coloured dials? Cheaper models than Rolex? I have a few of the latter but am really enjoying a Nomos Club. If I had to go from nine to one, the Nomos might even edge out my 1016 and 1675, which I've had for years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    I'm still not clear on why the OP wants to get down to just one watch. Is it because the three he has are fairly similar? It doesn't seem as though it's driven by a desire to free up money.
    A life de-clutter has prompted it really. I get a remarkable cleansing feeling knowing I've rid myself of stuff I'm not using. Ebay has been getting a tremendous rattle this past few weeks, and charity shops have been handsomely restocked!

Back to watches, I've listened to some advice and have tucked two of the watches away, pretending they don't exist. I'll wear the LV for the next few weeks and see how things go.
    Last edited by demonloop; 24th May 2017 at 07:55.