closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: One watch. Can it be done?

Makes sense.

However - the hobby aspect can manifest itself in other forms than that of collecting or otherwise accumulating multiples.

When I was interested in motorcycles as a young man I only owned one, I maintained a keen interest and enjoyed reading about and looking at other ones though. For me, the same kind of thing now applies to watches. Admittedly I have more than one, 5 to be exact, though 3 are in display cases and never really worn and one, a G Shock, is a back up and gardening watch and doesn't get much wear either.

Master
    Time for an update I think, and a conclusion I wouldn't have imagined at the outset.

OK, so my hand has been forced slightly getting to this point following the need to cash in my LV but I've arrived at the much famed ONE WATCH

I had thought from the out-set that the last remaining watch would be a Sub of some sort, one of the 5 digit references for sure.

What I've ended up with is the 16570 Explorer II.

A watch I often looked at, but never gave much consideration to.

So how did I arrive here?

A thread on a watch forum, as it happens!

Wearing a Sub whilst being unable to swim (!) always seemed a little Walther Mitty to me. Stupid I know but true none-the-less.

Then I found this thread - https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ght=Antarctica

And suddenly the Explorer II made sense.

When I look at it now, it makes even more sense to me - I have girl's wrists so the 40mm looks slightly less than it measures and it sits closer to the wrist than the 16610 (my other watch, now on SC)

Its also discreet - it doesn't shout Rolex, cyclops aside, which means I can wear it in all situations.

It looks equally at home on a NATO and even leather, so I have options at least.

The red 24 hour hand adds some interest, and I can wear it in good conscience knowing that I *could* (being a fit guy in the prime of life) walk to the Antarctic, even if I'm unlikely to do so!

So, one watch.

Its a shame my photography skills are rubbish, but this is it for now.

Last edited by demonloop; 15th August 2017 at 08:14.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

Its also discreet - it doesn't shout Rolex, cyclops aside, which means I can wear it in all situations.

The red 24 hour hand adds some interest, and I can wear it in good conscience knowing that I *could* (being a fit guy in the prime of life) walk to the Antarctic
    Why does a fit guy in the prime of life need a dammed hideous Cyclops ? I really hate cyclops, they spoil the look of so many decent watches. That watch would look great without a Cyclops.

Master

Cool

Time for an update I think, and a conclusion I wouldn't have imagined at the outset.

OK, so my hand has been forced slightly getting to this point following the need to cash in my LV but I've arrived at the much famed ONE WATCH

I had thought from the out-set that the last remaining watch would be a Sub of some sort, one of the 5 digit references for sure.

What I've ended up with is the 16570 Explorer II.

A watch I often looked at, but never gave much consideration to.

So how did I arrive here?

A thread on a watch forum, as it happens!

Wearing a Sub whilst being unable to swim (!) always seemed a little Walther Mitty to me. Stupid I know but true none-the-less.

Then I found this thread - https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ght=Antarctica

And suddenly the Explorer II made sense.

When I look at it now, it makes even more sense to me - I have girl's wrists so the 40mm looks slightly less than it measures and it sits closer to the wrist than the 16610 (my other watch, now on SC)

It looks equally at home on a NATO and even leather, so I have options at least.

The red 24 hour hand adds some interest, and I can wear it in good conscience knowing that I *could* (being a fit guy in the prime of life) walk to the Antarctic, even if I'm unlikely to do so!

So, one watch.

Its a shame my photography skills are rubbish, but this is it for now.

Well done there.

Master
    I have been thinking about this , after all, most people are fine with a single watch. It is normal. But if you do choose that route , why not follow the logic of it. You do not need an expensive watch at all. Take this at £125.
    Water resistant to 200 metres, recharges itself from sunlight, far more accurate than any Rolex, probably tougher too. Once you introduce rationality into the process, this is where you tend to end up.
    Best to just stay romantic and irrational. It never makes 'sense'.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by paskinner; 15th August 2017 at 10:14.

So, one watch.
    Well done! Let's see how long it lasts on its own...

One watch. Can it be done?

For us lot though, one watch rarely means one watch. There'll be a couple of cheapies tucked away in a drawer somewhere and usually the G-shock beater, all of which don't count in our eyes!

It's a good target though and the Explorer II is a great choice although I would personally have gone polar.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    For us lot though, one watch rarely means one watch. There'll be a couple of cheapies tucked away in a drawer somewhere and usually the G-shock beater, all of which don't count in our eyes!

It's a good target though and the Explorer II is a great choice although I would personally have gone polar.
    OK Dave, I'll admit to having a G-shock :-)

(And a Garmin doesn't count, as I only wear it when running)

I did try the polar, and I prefer it to look at in photos but it just didn't suit me as much as the black dialled sibling.

And of course a quote from the expedition thread I referenced, just in case!

"From experience the black dial edges it. In clear day light you don't notice the difference, but in dusk or low visibility in snowy conditions the black dial stands out more.
    Especially on the newer explorers.
    The black dial is the better 'polar' watch."
    Last edited by demonloop; 15th August 2017 at 12:08.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I have been thinking about this , after all, most people are fine with a single watch. It is normal. But if you do choose that route , why not follow the logic of it. You do not need an expensive watch at all. Take this at £125.
    Water resistant to 200 metres, recharges itself from sunlight, far more accurate than any Rolex, probably tougher too. Once you introduce rationality into the process, this is where you tend to end up.

I agree. I've had a completely changed mind on this over the last couple of weeks. At the present time I have seven watches. Two Oris's, two Hamilton's, a Nomos, a Tissot and a G-Shock. Buying the Casio has been like a epiphany. It's solar powered, so doesn't need constant battery changes and radio controlled, so the time is always spot on. It has every feature you could possibly need on a watch and is cheap and vertally indestructible. It seems insanity to spend significantly more on something that isn't as accurate and requires expensive periodical servicing just to keep it running correctly and maintain it's value. I'm now selling everything but the Tissot, which was bequithed to me, but I've never worn and will give to my son, the Nomos which I've just bought and will wear as a dress watch and the G-Shock. I'm selling the other four on eBay and whatever I get for them I intend to give to a local hospice.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mc View Post
    I agree. I've had a completely changed mind on this over the last couple of weeks. At the present time I have seven watches. Two Oris's, two Hamilton's, a Nomos, a Tissot and a G-Shock. Buying the Casio has been like a epiphany. It's solar powered, so doesn't need constant battery changes and radio controlled, so the time is always spot on. It has every feature you could possibly need on a watch and is cheap and vertally indestructible. It seems insanity to spend significantly more on something that isn't as accurate and requires expensive periodical servicing just to keep it running correctly and maintain it's value. I'm now selling everything but the Tissot, which was bequithed to me, but I've never worn and will give to my son, the Nomos which I've just bought and will wear as a dress watch and the G-Shock. I'm selling the other four on eBay and whatever I get for them I intend to give to a local hospice.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post

Actually it's not more accurate than the Oysterquartz which uses a thermocompensated quartz and is routinely capable of around thirty seconds a year. The J-810 in your AW1410 is specced to 20 seconds a month. Rationality, like toughness depends on the premises.

However, if you are going to go down the route you have chosen, you will always end up at the cockroach like f91. It's as accurate as the AW1410, has the same spec and is water resistant enough for any desk diver. Double the eight quid it costs and Casio will give you 200m and and real toughness.

The point of mechanical watches as timekeepers ended in about 1970. Now they are poetry.
    Last edited by M4tt; 15th August 2017 at 23:49.

I lost interest in high end watches when keeping that 'poetry' running cost £450! - but hey, it takes all sorts on this forum. I think there's an element of loving gadgets, a bit of man jewellery, a bit of 'collecting for the sake of it' , a bit of 'searching for the grail watch' - I've done all of that, tried the one watch approach - find it a bit boring having just the one - but if you boil it down to what you actually use a watch for, and ignore the 'it doesn't go with my suit/shirt/wedding attire/will it get me respect in an interview' brigade, you can't beat a solar/atomic g shock. Drop it, throw it, ignore it - just wear it, and it will do the job. And more accurately than anything else (and anything more accurate is frankly pointlessly more accurate!). They also have an 80's vibe I quite like, are cheaply replaced (you can actually abuse them
    And not worry about it) - so, a proper tool watch and if you like the military watch thing, they're the real choice of many servicemen (as opposed to some Walter Mitty pretend macho 'timepiece'. Oh, and let's face it - alarms and backlights are very practical and useful, as is 200m WR, multiple time zones - something like a gwm5610 does it all. Funny how I never wear mine!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

Funny how I never wear mine!!
    ^^ Ha. I agree with most of your thoughts there... unfortunately, including the conclusion!!

Blog Entries
    Think the last two posts sums up the absolute absurdity of this whole Watch obsession. Buying the ideal watches or watch only to never wear the damn thing. Is a watch not a watch if we just watch them ?

Stupid thread, of course the answer is no. I thought that I had got there and after four arrivals this week I realised that I was completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Can't believe I've not contributed to this thread earlier...

I regard watch collecting as a hobby (interest/fascination/mania... call it what you will!), and as such if I just owned one watch I would no longer have that hobby. I like variety in colours/case materials/straps and wear a different watch every day - it's now very much part of who I am.

As such I would not want to go down to one watch because I'd miss this whole thing we enjoy.

Besides, I've spent 12 years getting my collection to this point and I really like the way it's developed - and it's now half the size it used to be...

Having said all that, I have recognised two things...

Firstly, if I needed money the Panerai would be the first to go (only because I'd realise the most cash from selling it).

Secondly, if I was forced to go down to one all-purpose watch from my current collection it would probably be the Skyland.

Simon
    Great collection. Thought I'd keep the Panerai :)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Can't believe I've not contributed to this thread earlier...

I regard watch collecting as a hobby (interest/fascination/mania... call it what you will!), and as such if I just owned one watch I would no longer have that hobby. I like variety in colours/case materials/straps and wear a different watch every day - it's now very much part of who I am.

As such I would not want to go down to one watch because I'd miss this whole thing we enjoy.

Besides, I've spent 12 years getting my collection to this point and I really like the way it's developed - and it's now half the size it used to be...

Having said all that, I have recognised two things...

Firstly, if I needed money the Panerai would be the first to go (only because I'd realise the most cash from selling it).

Secondly, if I was forced to go down to one all-purpose watch from my current collection it would probably be the Skyland.

Simon
    Great collection. Thought I'd keep the Panerai :)

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Think the last two posts sums up the absolute absurdity of this whole Watch obsession. Buying the ideal watches or watch only to never wear the damn thing. Is a watch not a watch if we just watch them ?

There's different reason you would have multiple. Investment, collecting, obsession... the likelihood is that is you really like watched you'd end up with a range of watches that suit different occasions or apparel and some of them probably wouldn't be worth selling... so yes I agree absurd question. But very philosophical, doesn't one watch tell a lot about someone's personality?

One watch??

The world would be a sad place to live in :)

I have no problem with the one watch concept. It's just that I would then have to find another guilty, secret indulgence.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I tried a few years back, but could just not make it work

Journeyman
    Rolex Sub no date........