closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predict Spurs' position at the end of 2017/2018

Predict Spurs' position at the end of 2017/2018

What precedents are there for finishing second on a roll and then moving stadium?

Go on, rub it in :).

The Arsenal precedent is that whatever position you finish in before moving, that's your average for the next 10 years. 4th in our case. Maybe you will fluctuate between 1st and 3rd for the next 10 years. If you keep that squad and manager, maybe more of the former than the latter.

Craftsman
    Who gives a rats ass where they finish.

Come on you Gooners!

[psst. fancy selling dele alli?]

Come on you Gooners!

4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'd go for 5th.... Chelsea will be as strong as they are this year, if not better. Man u, City and Arsenal (if wenger goes) will all improve greatly. Spurs playing at Wembley next season....

I'm sure playing at Wembley will have a negative effect and I predict third or fourth at the end of the season. They're an excellent team with an excellent manager but they've not won anything and another two seasons of the same will see the team breaking up and the manager leaving. That's why what Wenger and Arsenal achieved through their transition was so impressive.

Master
    1. Man City or Chelsea (depends on who spends the most - around £150 mill should secure it).
    3. Spurs - Alli or Kane or both will get sold.
    4. Arsenal - Arsene will just qualify for CL to enjoy all his critics (especially Piers Morgan) and keep his job.
    5. Liverpool - they will promise so much early on but fail to deliver.
    6. Man Utd - - Jose will also spend £150 mill but the boy enjoys a dull 0-0, 1-1 draw.

P.S. For transparency I support Man U :-(

Blog Entries
    Depends on the Poc…. And if they keep Kane and Ali (two of the leagues finest players)

Assuming all stays in tact, I'll go for the win as they've improved year on year

Best team I've seen at the KP all year - ruthless

Master
    3rd due to the Wembley factor.

They had the best chance of winning it last season,blew it and finished third.

Mourinho is the wild card here. First time a Man Utd manager has won a trophy in his first season apparently and could well be a double if they beat Ajax which they likely will. I fancy a small bit of bookmaker value will be avail on Man U next season and it wouldn't be a huge shock to me if they won in 17/18

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Mourinho is the wild card here. First time a Man Utd manager has won a trophy in his first season apparently and could well be a double if they beat Ajax which they likely will. I fancy a small bit of bookmaker value will be avail on Man U next season and it wouldn't be a huge shock to me if they won in 17/18

Not for me sir. They are so far off the pace this year that I can't see any way that they will finish top. I know Conte "turned it around" for Chelsea, but Mourinho has not made as much impact as most expected this year

As for Spurs I'm guessing 2nd if they can keep their squad together

For full disclosure I support Coventry so only have a distant memory of how top flight football functions......

think a more educated guess/punt will be able to be made once the transfer window shuts

there is going to be lots of movement & Spurs' (sensible) wage policy means they could end up selling some players for £££ & they always seem to find some young talent (Bale, Modric all went)

I think they have a good manager and have played the best football this season & I hate to say this being a Man City fan and the Villa '81 Cup Final goal still haunts me all these years on

Master
    1. Chelsea
    2. Man Utd
    3. Spurs / City
    4. City / Spurs
    5. Liverpool
    6. Arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Not for me sir. They are so far off the pace this year that I can't see any way that they will finish top. I know Conte "turned it around" for Chelsea, but Mourinho has not made as much impact as most expected this year

As for Spurs I'm guessing 2nd if they can keep their squad together

For full disclosure I support Coventry so only have a distant memory of how top flight football functions......
    Dunno how you can say mourinho hasn't made the impact. United were in free fall and on verge of champions league position plus two trophies in year one? Does that now count as impact? Re Chelsea they were like 30 points off pace last year so turning it around fast can be done. Don't get me wrong I don't make united favourites not by a long chalk but they have done all they've done this year relying solely on Ibrahimovic. They add a Harry Kane or a Gareth Bale or dare I say even a Ronaldo and all those draws they had this year would be a whole lot less likely. And they WILL spend big. That's all I'm saying

Must take into account the Wembley factor.

We were doing well until we moved into the Olympic stadium.

That said, if all Spuds players stay fit, I can see them winning it next year.

Great manager too.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I'm sure playing at Wembley will have a negative effect and I predict third or fourth at the end of the season. They're an excellent team with an excellent manager but they've not won anything and another two seasons of the same will see the team breaking up and the manager leaving. That's why what Wenger and Arsenal achieved through their transition was so impressive.
    Nail. Head. And I'm a Bristol City fan in case anyone thinks I'm a gunner!

Master
    3rd for spurs next year

City
    Chelsea
    Spurs
    Liverpool
    Man U
    Arsenal

Craftsman
    They add a Harry Kane or a Gareth Bale or dare I say even a Ronaldo and all those draws they had this year would be a whole lot less likely. And they WILL spend big.
    Especially if they sell Rooney to China :) and Griezmann is the most likely rumour I believe.

As for the Spurs, I'd say 3rd or 4th.

Craftsman

3rd or 4th if squad stays mostly together and they get over the Wembley hangover. Spurs need an old head in there to rally them and steady things when times get rocky as they can do in a season. Can't think of who but I'm thinking a John Terry/Dave McKay type. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tswatch66 View Post
    3rd or 4th if squad stays mostly together and they get over the Wembley hangover. Spurs need an old head in there to rally them and steady things when times get rocky as they can do in a season. Can't think of who but I'm thinking a John Terry/Dave McKay type. Thoughts?

......are they not a selling club any more? If they hadn't sold Bale maybe we be making them favourites. Football = commerce now though sadly

Master
    Dunno how you can say mourinho hasn't made the impact. United were in free fall and on verge of champions league position plus two trophies in year one? Does that now count as impact? Re Chelsea they were like 30 points off pace last year so turning it around fast can be done. Don't get me wrong I don't make united favourites not by a long chalk but they have done all they've done this year relying solely on Ibrahimovic. They add a Harry Kane or a Gareth Bale or dare I say even a Ronaldo and all those draws they had this year would be a whole lot less likely. And they WILL spend big. That's all I'm saying

I actually said he hasn't made as much impact as most expected. He spent loads last year and to finish outside the top 4 (one place worse than last year) is a poor return. The football league cup is a third rate trophy, so the only thing to point to is the Europa cup which I hope they do win, lets remember Fulham and Liverpool both got to the final, so not exactly knocking it out of the ball park. You are totally right, Conte has put Mourinho in the shadows - he took on virtually the same Mourinho team, added Kante and took a side that finished 16 points behind Man U and finished 24 points ahead of them. So yeah, I stick by my comment that most expected more from his first season. The same can and should be said of Pep too.

What's a standard issue squabble about that devisive plank doing on this nice Spurs thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    What's a standard issue squabble about that devisive plank doing on this nice Spurs thread?
    I guess in relation to how they (being one if Spurs competitors) will fare in the race next year.....

He who laughs last...

Sad to say if AW continues my lot won't feature in this discussion at all.

The Scum will finish around 4th as Citeh spend gazillions along with the Chavs.

I was reading the other day that its usual for results to improve during a club's final season in a stadium. Can't remember who made that claim, let alone what data they had to back it up.

Craftsman

......are they not a selling club any more? If they hadn't sold Bale maybe we be making them favourites. Football = commerce now though sadly

I think this coach will convince the Chairman to keep the team together. With the new stadium ready 18/19 season they'll be in strong financial position so unlikely to need to sell. Agree with you about the money side of the game though.

Master
    I can't help thinking that Levy will turn one or two of his better players into sizeable chunks of cash over the summer - he has a history of it and new Stadia don't pay for themselves. The top Spurs players are paid a lot less than the top guys at the Manchester clubs and it's strongly rumoured that Dier, Rose and Walker are all unhappy with their current situation. It is rumoured that Madrid are looking hard at the midfield with Dele Alli and Christian Eriksen in their sights and I read somewhere that if Barcelona are to lose one of their three star strikers they will be looking at Harry Kane.

I know that transfer rumours are rife at this time of year and that most of them are simply figments of a journalist's lunch-time fuelled imagination, but all of the above are likely scenarios and the Spurs fans must be a bit concerned.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    I can't help thinking that Levy will turn one or two of his better players into sizeable chunks of cash over the summer - he has a history of it and new Stadia don't pay for themselves. The top Spurs players are paid a lot less than the top guys at the Manchester clubs and it's strongly rumoured that Dier, Rose and Walker are all unhappy with their current situation. It is rumoured that Madrid are looking hard at the midfield with Dele Alli and Christian Eriksen in their sights and I read somewhere that if Barcelona are to lose one of their three star strikers they will be looking at Harry Kane.

I know that transfer rumours are rife at this time of year and that most of them are simply figments of a journalist's lunch-time fuelled imagination, but all of the above are likely scenarios and the Spurs fans must be a bit concerned.

Rob
    I cannot say i agree for the next season however if THFC ( or the spuds) do not achieve then i can see huge changes especially involving the " jewels in the crown" Kane and Dele Alli the following one.Walker and possibly Dier will go just in the Summer and it all depends whether Levy is prepared to up the anti in attracting quality replacements?and the effect of Wembley will be huge IMO so i reckon 4th.
    On a personal basis as a CFC supporter i do not care who finishes in the 2nd place and downwards.
    Last edited by mart broad; 23rd May 2017 at 08:28.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    The top Spurs players are paid a lot less than the top guys at the Manchester clubs Rob
    And this is what football is all about nowadays and what is wrong with it. The bottom line nowadays is money, nothing more nothing less, but who are we to complain as fans as we've created it via the Sky subscriptions, ridiculous pricing for tops, tickets and merchandising. So many people compare footballers to nurses yet it continues to grow.

Can you blame a player though? Would you turn down a payrise?

Agent: XXX you are earning 80k per week, your club is conning you. YYY and ZZZ are earning nearly double that and you are far better.
    Player: yeh you are right.
    Agent: I've had a call, they've offered you 160k per week - that's DOUBLE, plus a signing on fee of £3 million, you're set up for life son.
    Player: okay should I take it?
    Agent: yes

(Agent rubbing his hands at the 10% fee doubling overnight and the multi million pound cut of the transfer fee)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Agents are a hinderance and parasite to any sport. I think spurs will finish in the CL spots next year if they keep the teams core together. As a Liverpool fan, a mild trophy and a CL place finish will keep us on track but we need investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Can you blame a player though? Would you turn down a payrise?
    Nope, don't blame them at all but I would think that the chance to play for a team which has a better chance of lifting the Champions League Trophy is more a motivation for a transfer than a payrise. At 80k per week (a little over £4m per year + endorsements), these guys are already set-up for life, doubling that isn't going to make any difference to thier lifestyles.

Banned
    Why is everyone so obsessed with the break up
    Of the spurs squad , I'm a Tottenham fan and trust me I'm always concerned about losing top players , especially the squad we have right now , probably our best squad of players for many decades . However all you hear about spurs is that everyone is leaving either this summer or next .
    As a spurs fan I'm
    Not optimistic about next year at Wembley as our performances there are consistently poor , I predict a fight for 4th place next year but overall I'm
    Happy with our progress and unfortunately we need to go through this transitional period if we want to compete with the big boys in the future , I'm so looking forward to visiting our new stadium in 2018/2019

Seikoboy

Master
    Top 4 for Spurs. They need to hang on to Kane & Ali but Spurs have a history of selling their best players so I won't be surprised if one of them left for a near world record price. I'm sure Levy is hoping for a big offer from one of the big teams..

Man City, Chelsea and Man U will fight it out for the title.

Spurs league results so far this season:

Aug - WLD
    Sep - WDWW
    Oct - WWL
    Nov - WLDL

Or, to put it another way:

8 points from a possible 15
    12 points from a possible 12
    4 points from a possible 15

(but within that last period, beat Real Madrid at home)

The 4 consecutive wins were Barnsley (h), West Ham (a), Bournemouth (h), Liverpool (h)

December fixtures: Watford (a), Stoke (h), Brighton (h), City (a), Burnley (a), Southampton (h), West Ham (h)

If Bournemouth-Burnley and Stoke-Liverpool this evening are a pair of away wins, then they'll be 7th....

Any thoughts on what's going on?

Master
    The season is only just starting to warm up, it's a marathon not a sprint.

Blog Entries
    Ha ha ha ha !!!!

My word I enjoyed last night…. We’ll finish above them at this rate!

16 points off top
    15 points off bottom .

Craftsman
    Just below Arsenal 😆

Master
    Blog Entries
    4th.

Ditto 4th

My Prediction

Citeh Champions

Chelsea

Utd

Spuds

Arsenal

Liverpool

Craftsman
    I’d say 5th or 6th. Champions League plus Wembley is dragging them down one or two slots.

Currently worse form (last 5 games) than Everton or Bournemouth. Unfortunately I think they'll still be top 5.

I predict St Totteringham's day will take place some day in April

Missing the centre back Aulder whatever his name is. The backline looks very shaky and the reliance on a certain Mr Kane, who seems to pick up a few muscle injuries could well hinder the progress further. With all the fixtures coming thick and fast they need to pick up points soon or they could be 9 back on 4th place in three weeks time, especially with the fixtures they have to come in December.

As for the others. City 1st Man UTD 2nd and Chelsea 3rd IMHO. As for 4th, I really do not know, this winter window could prove key, it is between Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham.

On a separate note, anyone noted how well Sanchez and Oil are playing at the moment, really keen to negotiate tasty Bosman's come the winter window. Arsenal have completely s**t the bed on this one losing those two for nothing and with Wilshere also on a Bosman and Ramsay running into his last year in the summer, the level of incompetence from the Arsenal board is astounding. How much is it going to cost to replace those guys, especially if they do not make the final Champions league slot. It could well be the slippery slope down for the club, who also need a new keeper to replace their geriatric between the sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by tswatch66 View Post
    I’d say 5th or 6th.
    I'd agree with 5th or 6th.

Manchester will be top and second - I would love to see United win it but it's been citeh's to lose since before the start of the season.
    Chelsea and liverpool will be 3rd and 4th - personally I'd like to see the scousers finish 129th but they're looking more resilient this season than recently
    North London will fight it out for 5th and 6th

Master
    Blog Entries
    My Prediction

Citeh Champions

Utd

Chelsea

Liverpool

Spuds

Arsenal

[QUOTE=langdalematt;4580570

On a separate note, anyone noted how well Sanchez and Oil are playing at the moment, really keen to negotiate tasty Bosman's come the winter window. Arsenal have completely s**t the bed on this one losing those two for nothing and with Wilshere also on a Bosman and Ramsay running into his last year in the summer, the level of incompetence from the Arsenal board is astounding. How much is it going to cost to replace those guys, especially if they do not make the final Champions league slot. It could well be the slippery slope down for the club, who also need a new keeper to replace their geriatric between the sticks.[/QUOTE]#

A bit unfair to blame the club if the individuals (and/or agents) don't want to agree a new contract or are asking for the Earth to do so? Sometimes when a player is mercenary, you just have to let them go. Sanchez is the only world-class player of the three of them, I'd not lose any sleep over Wilshere or Ozil and certqinly not Ramsey. W doesn't need replacing as he's a long way off regular, Ramsey is covered by Elneny (under-rated IMO) and/or Shaka and/or Coquelin, plus a couple of very talented youngsters coming through (who may leave if they don't get 1st tea action). Ozil is a unique type of player - but seldom really fits in an Arsenasl team, or maybe even the EPL. Iwobi or Wellbeck offer something different, but can replace O.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    3. Spurs
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    3rd due to the Wembley factor
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    3rd for spurs next year
    Plus quite a few "third or fourth" predictions 👏

Is it too late to say 3rd?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I predict St Totteringham's day will take place some day in April
    PMSL